ADVERTISEMENT

HC Opening in the SMC

One of them is virtually gone already .... Stay tuned.
Everyone knows Gillis will go somewhere! If Murphy is his best shot at being successful then his dad will take him there. But he better get what his dad wants or he will be gone from there also! Have fun with the scenario because the kid doesn’t really want to move!

Hayesville better get somethin straightened out before they loose Mctaggart, Ashe and Gillis!! They loose them 3 they'll hurt for a while!!
Ashe doesn’t play football and his dad has helped with basketball for years! So don’t think he is going anywhere! McTaggart who knows what will happen!!! Hope he stays but you never know!

McTaggart who knows what will happen!!! Hope he stays but you never know!
I can't see McTaggart going anywhere, maybe he transfers to a private school for basketball his senior year or something but otherwise highly unlikely he leaves Hayesville, not with the basketball team they're likely to have when him, Ashe and the McClure boys are upperclassmen.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Word on the street is Hayesville has hit a brick wall on candidates superintendent wants a figure head but basically wants to run the program himself. It's really sad to see Hayesville struggling to get a coach when they actually have some good football talent right now.

Reactions: BravesGWY
Word on the street is Hayesville has hit a brick wall on candidates superintendent wants a figure head but basically wants to run the program himself. It's really sad to see Hayesville struggling to get a coach when they actually have some good football talent right now.
Hayesville had a coach. Wanted a change. Don't believe any coach is going to want a job where you have no control. After watching last year, Hayesville doesn't have a lot of football talent.

Hayesville had a coach. Wanted a change. Don't believe any coach is going to want a job where you have no control. After watching last year, Hayesville doesn't have a lot of football talent.
They had some talent just all on the sidelines injured!

Hayesville has plenty of skill position talent but it's young. But even when those skill kids are upperclassmen I doubt they have the linemen needed to seriously compete at the top of the conference. Without a legit coaching staff in place some of those elite skill kids are probably just going to opt out of football all together and focus on basketball.

In the case of McTaggart especially that would be a real shame. McTaggart is big enough and athletic enough to develop into a D1 prospect as a tight end if he sticks with football, even though Hayesville probably isn't the best place for him to develop into that. I'm sure he has aspirations of playing D1 basketball though but at 6'6 or 6'7 he's going to need to grow another couple inches to garner legit interest above a WCU or high D2 type level.

Last edited:
I got some friends at Hayesville said the super is a real price of work and won’t let the coach coach . Hence the resignation . Hate to see a program go so far down . Cherokee went through that several years ago and it was painful to watch

Dockery wasn’t left much choice in his decision! He asked if he could resign instead of being let go!!!

Vining's dad brought him back to Murphy as a senior with the expectation (at least in his mind) that his son was going to be the guy at QB. IF Gillis were to come to Murphy it's a totally different scenario in all ways.

When George didn't win the QB job his dad made a very selfish decision that ultimately cost his son a state title. Vining still would've been a star player on defense and big contributor elsewhere on offense. But instead he took his son (who did not want to leave Murphy) back down to Georgia where he also didn't play QB and I don't even think Tatnall made the playoffs, so it was all for nothing.

I understand where Hayesville people are coming from to a degree but remember back in 2017 Hayesville folks were saying the same things about Barolet and his sons coming to Murphy and we all know how that worked out. IF Gillis were to come to Murphy I don't think there would be any issues.

Last edited:
Vining's dad brought him back to Murphy as a senior with the expectation (at least in his mind) that his son was going to be the guy at QB. IF Gillis were to come to Murphy it's a totally different scenario in all ways.

When George didn't win the QB job his dad made a very selfish decision that ultimately cost his son a state title. Vining still would've been a star player on defense and big contributor elsewhere on offense. But instead he took his son (who did not want to leave Murphy) back down to Georgia where he also didn't play QB and I don't even think Tatnall made the playoffs, so it was all for nothing.

I understand where Hayesville people are coming from to a degree but remember back in 2017 Hayesville folks were saying the same things about Barolet and his sons coming to Murphy and we all know how that worked out. IF Gillis were to come to Murphy I don't think there would be any issues.
Didn’t the younger Barolet move when the talent to win state was gone?

Didn’t the younger Barolet move when the talent to win state was gone?
Well that won't be a problem for Murphy football anytime soon, hard yet to say how good Gillis' class of '22 is going to be but the two ahead of him at Murphy: '20 and '21 are loaded with talent.

Well that won't be a problem for Murphy football anytime soon, hard yet to say how good Gillis' class of '22 is going to be but the two ahead of him at Murphy: '20 and '21 are loaded with talent.
I was honestly asking.

i honestly don't think gillis will transfer. i coached him last year and talk to him about it he doesn't seem to think he will be going anywhere. also tried to get it through to our kids that transferring is basically giving up on your school if your that great of an athlete you can make a difference in a small program like hayesville and make a team great and accept a challenge to be the better team instead of saying hey ill just go to murphy where it will be easy because they are already established but the best coach hayesville has had in 10 years didn't get the chance to make everyone see that. hayesville has some serious talent in football. injuries were the worst i've ever seen in hayesville last year. i hope that hayesville gathers there senses and realize if you don't give someone more than a four year period to do what needs to be done they will never get back to what some hayesville people that have made awful choices say "back to being a winning team" lol.

also tried to get it through to our kids that transferring is basically giving up on your school
I don't agree with saying something like that to a kid, because 95% of the time it's the parents who make the decision for the kids to transfer. This isn't college, it's hardly ever a high school kid pushing the issue to leave their school for greener pastures, it's almost always their parent.

At Murphy this season Vining did not want to leave at all, the decision was made for him and he had no choice in the matter. So talking to a kid and telling them not to leave because they're betraying their school is a pretty pointless exercise imo, it's not up to them the vast majority of the time.

Last edited:
i honestly don't think gillis will transfer. i coached him last year and talk to him about it he doesn't seem to think he will be going anywhere. also tried to get it through to our kids that transferring is basically giving up on your school if your that great of an athlete you can make a difference in a small program like hayesville and make a team great and accept a challenge to be the better team instead of saying hey ill just go to murphy where it will be easy because they are already established but the best coach hayesville has had in 10 years didn't get the chance to make everyone see that. hayesville has some serious talent in football. injuries were the worst i've ever seen in hayesville last year. i hope that hayesville gathers there senses and realize if you don't give someone more than a four year period to do what needs to be done they will never get back to what some hayesville people that have made awful choices say "back to being a winning team" lol.
after not backing Coach Dockery its more like the school giving up on the student.

My son is friends with him and he talks about it all the time. Makes no difference to me. He'd be an asset to the Murphy program and he'd be the center piece of Hayesville's. I do know he would have to move to Cherokee County physically. No one is going to be approved without a REAL move. Extra students mean the possible loss of "Small School Funding" from the state. Small school systems can't afford that loss, especially over athletics.

Reactions: Mbulldog42
I don't agree with saying something like that to a kid, because 95% of the time it's the parents who make the decision for the kids to transfer. This isn't college, it's hardly ever a high school kid pushing the issue to leave their school for greener pastures, it's almost always their parent.

At Murphy this season Vining did not want to leave at all, the decision was made for him and he had no choice in the matter. So talking to a kid and telling them not to leave because they're betraying their school is a pretty pointless exercise imo, it's not up to them the vast majority of the time.

personally i just think transferring your kid to another school basically shows your kid thats its easier to give up on something hard and move to something easier. in real life if something is hard at first you don't just move on to the next thing that's easier like a job for example what does that say about your character moving on when it gets hard instead of sticking out to the end. part of coaching is to teach kids these things its not just football sometimes.

Reactions: smcdogfan
They have a committee formed but it is pretty clear that they are recommending a few candidates, but the decision will be made by the new superintendent that was made clear!

They have a committee formed but it is pretty clear that they are recommending a few candidates, but the decision will be made by the new superintendent that was made clear!
Interviews start today at Hayesville from what I have been told!

Last night when tha Braves went to hayesville someone from down there told me that they still dont have a coach but someone was comin outta Georgia that was highly recommended!!

Last night when tha Braves went to hayesville someone from down there told me that they still dont have a coach but someone was comin outta Georgia that was highly recommended!!
Correct, still no coach!!! Have had two interviews not sure how many more are scheduled!

What about the guy the superintendent thinks is a football genius, Leatherwood maybe ?

Hope I don't have to see us go thru this again soon!! I wish politics and tha millon dollar boy club would stay completely outta tha way to!! I'd like it if whenever Briggs runs his course a young person would step in and be here for tha next 30 years!!

From the Chatter going around. A couple of coaches inside the SMC were interested. But that was it. No interviews with them that I've heard. One coach I would think would be a good hire. Would be from just across state lines. Coach from Franklin could happen but with the superintendent who knows what will happen

You'd think tha people who pushed Kenneth dockery out for his not so good job they would step into his position and show him and tha community what they was wantin!! I think he would've been ok with some more time and a big group of football players come thru and as long as he could stand tha lazy-boy coaches that didn't help bear tha burden say stuff to him thru his course then he woulda been ok!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT