ADVERTISEMENT

HC Opening in the SMC

KnightyKnight63

Oct 22, 2018
Today I heard from a reliable source the Coach Blankenship at Swain had confided in some players and staff that he would be stepping down at the end of the season. That wasn't a real surprise to me, but the same person told me that the Devils were going to go after Coach Chapell of Pisgah as their next coach. Assuming this to be true, would he go from Canton to Bryson City?

Depends on how much winning a state title would mean to a coach...It's proven that A good coach can win titles at Swain.....It's not impossible to win a title at Pisgah , but it's definantly an uphill climb....my opinion Pisgah has had only 1 legit state title caliber roster since the 75-76 era, that being in 05 or 06 before losing a close one to Shelby...Swain is an attractive job but obviously with HIGH expectations to win championships....

With swain usually going big 1a and teams like heritage hendersonville brevard and yes possibly reidsville all going 1a next realignment that makes 1aa not impossible but very very difficult. Need we forget tarboro..but swain has rich tradition..the chappell to swain thing has been whispered quite often but so had Chappell to TCR and asheville...hes got a good job w good pay. But he played in SMC at Rosman..if this is true about coach Blankenship..id say this wont be only opening...just my opinion ..no facts to support...i think asheville. Tcr..enka..north hend..rosman..plus couple other jobs will pop open...its always whacky season after the season

Reactions: KnightyKnight63
With swain usually going big 1a and teams like heritage hendersonville brevard and yes possibly reidsville all going 1a next realignment that makes 1aa not impossible but very very difficult. Need we forget tarboro..but swain has rich tradition..the chappell to swain thing has been whispered quite often but so had Chappell to TCR and asheville...hes got a good job w good pay. But he played in SMC at Rosman..if this is true about coach Blankenship..id say this wont be only opening...just my opinion ..no facts to support...i think asheville. Tcr..enka..north hend..rosman..plus couple other jobs will pop open...its always whacky season after the season
Hendersonville and Brevard are not even close to 1A numbers. The only one of those four you mentioned that is close to 1A numbers is Heritage.

Swain should have a good team next season but I dont see anything coming up the pipeline to suggest there's state championship caliber talent in the program in the near future.

Reactions: Gps62
Both will be very close if state goes back to 25 25 25 25 split based on projected 2020 #s

I can remember years in 90s where hayesville had state title talent...just curious as to SMC fans opinions on why that program has been virtually irrelevant for what seems like an extended time

Both will be very close if state goes back to 25 25 25 25 split based on projected 2020 #s
Hendersonville is growing rapidly, their enrollment has went up 250 students in the last 15 years, they will never be 1A again.

I can remember years in 90s where hayesville had state title talent...just curious as to SMC fans opinions on why that program has been virtually irrelevant for what seems like an extended time
Heavy focus towards basketball and baseball, football is third in the pecking order. Hayesville is the 1A version of Smoky Mountain

Hendersonville is growing rapidly, their enrollment has went up 250 students in the last 15 years, they will never be 1A again.
This, with all of the growth in Henderson County, all of the schools will probably see increased enrollment for quite some time.

Reactions: mbdfan
A better question is who in the world would step in to the hayesville situation. A first time head coach trying to prove himself?

Coach Phillip's could be in line for Swain job if it were to open up, The SMC could look totally different next year.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I would say if he leaves the next coach will clean house ! I’ve heard mention of brooks wanting to move to swain .

We all know how the rumor mills are ! I had also heard a cpl weeks ago about Blankenship so who knows they were right about that

Reactions: MilltownUSA
I think i can say w 99. 9999999999% certainty..brooks will not be next head coach at swain..thats nothing to do w swain.. tradition rich program...so id say that rumor can be put to bed

Reactions: bamapride22
In my opinion it is not so much Blankenship as it is his 20 assistants.They need to clean house.
Blankenship is a good coach and not the issue, they'll see that once he is gone. The reality is that Swain doesn't have state title caliber talent right now 1A or 1AA, no matter who the coach is. The expectations are completely out of whack because a good portion of their fanbase think a group of players that dominated in youth league should be dominating on varsity, and it doesnt always work out that way, and this is one of those times.

Depends on how much winning a state title would mean to a coach...It's proven that A good coach can win titles at Swain.....It's not impossible to win a title at Pisgah , but it's definantly an uphill climb....my opinion Pisgah has had only 1 legit state title caliber roster since the 75-76 era, that being in 05 or 06 before losing a close one to Shelby...Swain is an attractive job but obviously with HIGH expectations to win championships....
Man they are going to be mad at you. But you are right pisgah has done nothing in the playoffs last 10 seasons.

The head coach position at HHS is set up to fail , has been that way for quite some time. Anyone who follows SMC football knows what I’m talking about. All about priorities.
I doubt when Coach Setzer "left" that the Hayesville fans that were happy to see him go would have ever imagined that his tenure would prove to be the pinnacle of Hayesville football.

Last edited:
I doubt when Coach Setzer left that the Hayesville fans that were happy to see him go would have ever imagined that his tenure would prove to be the pinnacle of Hayesville football.

I can't see any proven coach in his prime wanting to take that job.

Reactions: mbdfan
I can't see any proven coach in his prime wanting to take that job.
Setzer stills lives in Hayesville and clearly still has the coaching itch since he assists down at Union County. Too many bridges burned between the two parties for that though I'm sure. Plus his post Hayesville coaching record at another non football priority school (Smoky Mtn) of 1-21 shows he may have gotten out of the head coaching business at the right time.

Here’s something else to stir in the pot. Dee Walsh lives in hayesville and I think his oldest child graduated from HHS. Being in his early 60’s with over 30 years of teaching, add a very impressive resume?????? Just saying

Here’s something else to stir in the pot. Dee Walsh lives in hayesville and I think his oldest child graduated from HHS. Being in his early 60’s with over 30 years of teaching, add a very impressive resume?????? Just saying

If I'm Walsh, no way I leave Robbinsville right now for hayesville. Robbinsville will be tough over the next few years. If they can find a qb next year, look out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT