ADVERTISEMENT

HB514/Charlotte High Schools

ForsythFootball

Nov 23, 2014
Lexington
For those unaware, HB514 is the bill to essentially separate traditionally well off areas of Charlotte from the major school system. The towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Matthews and more are all advocating to essentially in simple terms leave the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system and be able to establish charter schools run by the town. Right now charter schools can’t be run by local townships.

Allowing the towns to run these Charter Schools, is so these “nicer areas” don’t have to send money in to fix other schools else where.

This becomes an interesting subject in football, because the areas that become directly effected include some major athletic schools in the state.

Butler, Porter Ridge, Hough, Hopewell, North Mecklenburg, Mallard Creek.

All become directly impacted by this change, because cities in those areas have signed on to the bill if the law is passed which would drastically impact ADM numbers in some cases splitting the schools

These areas would introduce private, new schools which would draw lots of people in. Over time they would grow and grow being so new and high class they could see great success.

This change would be state wide and could impact a lot of other areas in a Durham, Raleigh. While obviously years a way, an interesting topic that could drastically change the shape and makeup of NCHSAA levels. If even one school is opened let alone dozens in these population clusters

Not going to effect athletics at all. It might lower admin numbers. Mallard Creek has a charter school opening less than 100 yards away from the school, another one opened 2 years ago.So the kids who can't make it on the field with Football programs will go to the Charter school. It will help with overcrowding schools. That's it!

The nicer area's are sending money to fix other schools elsewhere? LMAO!

Somebody needs to set you down and have a long conversation on how it works.

This is totally different than the "standard" charter school options.

House Bill 514 will allow a municipality to have it's own school system and any student that resides in the municipality would be allowed to attend the school. The schools would not be private in any form but totally public schools diverting funds from those municipalities from CMS directly to the "local" schools. There would not be a lottery for students from outside the area. If the school does not have maximum enrollment the school could then do a lottery for non residents.

The goal is to have a "community" school that is ran by the community. For people familiar with SC schools this is somewhat the model they use with districts. Think CMS with only one high school downsized to a town (Matthews).

CMS has now countered that any student that lives in the municipality would not be in a CMS district and students that attend CMS specialty programs would then be considered the equivalent of a current non Meck resident. You live in one of the areas and the student wants to attend a magnet such as IB it will not be as simple. Porter Ridge falls under Union County Schools but Matthews annexed over the county line over the years which is allowed in NC.

I think there is a lot to think through on this but the NC legislature does not think things through very well before enacting bills and the ripple effect often causes an initial mess.

Not going to effect athletics at all. It might lower admin numbers. Mallard Creek has a charter school opening less than 100 yards away from the school, another one opened 2 years ago.So the kids who can't make it on the field with Football programs will go to the Charter school. It will help with overcrowding schools. That's it!

we all know what this is about

What are you disputing Nepsy? You know I have been sending money from my Castle to Mallard Creek for several years now. As a wealthy elitist I feel it’s my civic duty to help the few players at Mallard Creek who don’t make the pro level. Those kids sadly end up working in the private sector at 40hr a week jobs!! :(

Reactions: portcity FB
I agree with whatever Btango said. At the end of the day, it's not going to effect a lot of schools if any when it comes to Football. Didddy those checks you sent, all bounced. Start sending cash.

This has been part of the discussion in Char/Meck as long as I have lived here. I live in Huntersville ( North meck district) and I can tell you a huge amount of th kids here already attend private and charter schools. It would change the dynamic very little in athletics

I agree with whatever Btango said. At the end of the day, it's not going to effect a lot of schools if any when it comes to Football. Didddy those checks you sent, all bounced. Start sending cash.
In God we trust.......the rest of us need to send cash.

If anything it seems to me it would have the chance to strengthen a program. Wouldn't be dependent on the county or restricted by the county or huge bureaucratic system. Would promote more community involvement and pride. But I am an outsider looking in, I know Cumberland county schools probably wish they were community based probably have less dirt tracks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT