ADVERTISEMENT

Haywood Co. joining the ranks of volunteer coaches....

The beginning of Diminished athletic programs at both high schools if the public winks and allows this to happen. No reduced salaries in the central office for sure!! Sure a weak school board that has become blinded to poor leadership!!

You can dang well be sure there will no cuts, or reduction in the central office. Super is busy blaming other people and things for her weakness.

They need to close Bethel. period
They need to close several of the older Elem.
They need to start the talks on combing the two high schools.

You can dang well be sure there will no cuts, or reduction in the central office. Super is busy blaming other people and things for her weakness.

They need to close Bethel. period
They need to close several of the older Elem.
They need to start the talks on combing the two high schools.
While I agree with you assessment concerning central office, you are way off base concerning your other Statements

Reactions: WNCfballFan
While I agree with you assessment concerning central office, you are way off base concerning your other Statements

Way off base?

Bethel has 1 group per grade level, and the other middle schools are within 10 min (give or take)
Elementary Schools with empty classes cost money
Pisgah was a 3A, now a 2A
Tuscola was a 4A now it is at the bottom of 3A

They are 7 miles apart, shrinking, in a county with a $2million deficit.

Both are shrinking, and the county will continue to shrink. This is tax payer's money, not Haywood's fun and giggles money.

Last edited:
The odea of combining these schools never been brought up??

Of course it has, and like elsewhere "rivalry" and nostalgia over ride common sense. I don't think keeping a school open, and draining money, in a broke county because of "Bears vs. Mounties." is common sense.

Broke, doesn't begin to cover it. In debt, red, $2 million. I think the state should look into it, do an audit, can the Super, think about replacing Admins at the school level. The rot goes down to the building level.

Last edited:
I love high school football like most on here.It does seems like we should all be as upset about class size increasing and ending the drop out program,losing 22 teaching jobs as much as you guys are about assistant coaches.The assistants never got payed for all the time they put into coaching and neither do the head coaches.They don't do it for the money they do it for the kids,and they will probably continue to do it for the kids.

As much as everyone would hate to see the Greatest rivalry in NC come to an end if there was ever to be a consolidation........a Haywood County HS athletic program would be a powerhouse overnight. There are so many great bloodlines and traditions on both ends of the county and so many solid and exceptional athletes. I think the football program in a consolidated school would be an absolute beast. Colors coould be Black/Red/Gold and they could be the Haywood County Mountain Bears. *******Disclaimer: I am not saying this SHOULD happen..Just saying if it did it would be a tough time for the competition.********

I love high school football like most on here.It does seems like we should all be as upset about class size increasing and ending the drop out program,losing 22 teaching jobs as much as you guys are about assistant coaches.The assistants never got payed for all the time they put into coaching and neither do the head coaches.They don't do it for the money they do it for the kids,and they will probably continue to do it for the kids.
Do you buy Christmas with you supplement pay.........obviously not...you do not receive any!!! Do you buy tires for the truck or shoes for your children with your supplement pay!! obviously Not!! Coaches earn every Dime!! The Coach is worthy of his Hire!! Don't badmouth cutting the pay of the already low paid teachers/coaches! You have sniffed to much varnish!

Do you buy Christmas with you supplement pay.........obviously not...you do not receive any!!! Do you buy tires for the truck or shoes for your children with your supplement pay!! obviously Not!! Coaches earn every Dime!! The Coach is worthy of his Hire!! Don't badmouth cutting the pay of the already low paid teachers/coaches! You have sniffed to much varnish!
So pointing out that coaches are underpaid and do it because of the kids is bad mouthing coaches.The rest of your post makes no sense either.

While I agree that the drop out program and 22 employees losing their jobs are an absolute disgrace. I also agree with the sentiment of paying the coaches. Without sports in Haywood co imagine how much worse the deficit would be. There are 2 things in Haywood county that make money. Hs football and Joey's Pancake house.

Reactions: DKJ and WNCfballFan
its incredible to me that they are 2 million dollars in debt. do u realize just how much money that is? id be willing to bet that an audit will find sum people stealing money.how did they get that far in the red before it was brought to light?

While I agree that the drop out program and 22 employees losing their jobs are an absolute disgrace. I also agree with the sentiment of paying the coaches. Without sports in Haywood co imagine how much worse the deficit would be. There are 2 things in Haywood county that make money. Hs football and Joey's Pancake house.
Yes, but joey's is overrated.

Last I heard the paper mill makes about five million a month and pays pretty good to.

Last I heard the paper mill makes about five million a month and pays pretty good to.

Obviously I was joking, but I'll play along anyways. How much has employment dropped at the mill in the past 20 years? Shoot 10 years? There is a huge problem in Haywood when it comes to the job market. No young families are moving into Haywood and there is nothing happening to change that. Even most who are born and raised in Haywood county live elsewhere after college.

There can only be so many landscapers, painters, electricians, and so on.

Reactions: BlueVols
eI've been saying that all along ehs. The construction and real estate job losses since 2008 are staggering. I don't know the exact figures but I have heard that the mill is down a significant amount of jobs.

This county got fat and happy the 90's and the early part of this new century and decided to hang their hat on the tourist dollar. We rejected a new state prison for fear of scaring off the second home owners despite the fact there was a prison in downtown Hazelwood for about 75 years.

Now our county commissioners stick to their precious funding formula for schools like it was the stone tablets of Moses but want to build a $3.5 million dollar dog pound. Our library is outdated. We have 3 significant empty buildings we own in the North Main/Asheville Highway corridor. We're paying over a $100 per year per tax payer for the old Francis Farm landfill.

Bethel MS will be the next domino to fall. The old high school portion of the school and former elementary school will now rank as the oldest in the system.

I agree that a consolidated high school is probably in the future with the current high schools probably repurposed as middle schools. This will bring about a major athletic problem because a consolidated high school would probably wind up as 4A and McDowell would be the closest opponent and the nearest 4A conference would be near Morganton. The travel for non-football would be awful.

I disagree with DKJ on one thing. A consolidated high school would probably be built in the Clyde area and this would be an opportunity to bring back the old Cardinal mascot with the combined colors of Pisgah and Tuscola of black, gold, and red-which are the colors of the cardinal.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-40 traveler
The mill employees around a 1000 people Canton And Waynesville plants.Still the largest manufacturing plant west of Asheville

You're missing the point. I'm not saying the mill is a problem, because it's really one of the best jobs in Haywood county. The point I'm making is the job market is drying up. Even the mill has dropped emplyoymemt by a large margin.

Without any job creation Haywood county will continue to get no new families other than Florida retirees. Id say Waynesville is doing absolutely nothing to improve that. It was a war to move the Wal mart, and any new business opportunities are met with resistance from the town.

I don't know the story behind the town manager being fired but something just doesn't seem right out there.

The beginning of Diminished athletic programs at both high schools if the public winks and allows this to happen. No reduced salaries in the central office for sure!! Sure a weak school board that has become blinded to poor leadership!!
Haywood County definitely has a school board chairman that caters to the superintendent. She can do no wrong in his eyes and that is a major problem. She knows she has guaranteed job security as long as he is there. I believe our assistant superintendent may be getting ready to leave and go to Madison County as their new superintendent. If only he would take the superintendent with him.

The town manager got canned mostly because she wanted to be the boss and some of the department heads were used to going around or above the town manager because they had been allowed to.

The school board chairman says they have a plan but I've not seen a Ticket Oak around here so I'm not sure what his/their plan is. Sources have told me the whole ordeal was an attempt to shame the county commission into coughing up some extra dollars but it failed.

The town manager got canned mostly because she wanted to be the boss and some of the department heads were used to going around or above the town manager because they had been allowed to.

The school board chairman says they have a plan but I've not seen a Ticket Oak around here so I'm not sure what his/their plan is. Sources have told me the whole ordeal was an attempt to shame the county commission into coughing up some extra dollars but it failed.
I am hearing that the money found and the agreement made is being backed up on.......Basically the HR guy has throw another road block into a solution

its incredible to me that they are 2 million dollars in debt. do u realize just how much money that is? id be willing to bet that an audit will find sum people stealing money.how did they get that far in the red before it was brought to light?

Right? $2 Million is a tremendous amount, and she sits there with a straight face and blames the local charter school and the Republicans. Any other business and she'd be canned, an audit done, reports released, and most likely people arrested.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Just a logistics post here

A HS merger would mean a school of 2025 students based on 2015 ADM's. I highly doubt either school was built to hold that number of students. So now you're talking about adding new buildings and such which costs a lot of $$$.

From an athletic standpoint this would make Haywood County HS the 34th largest in the state, and only the 35th HS with over 2000 students just above Jack Britt. The thing I always hate when mergers are talked about is 2 different athletic programs give MANY kids a shot at playing HS sports. Merging into 1 program takes away those opportunities for many kids to play. There is no better learning environment in my opinion than a HS athletics field of any kind. Teamwork, sportsmanship, dealing with adversity, making pressure decisions, etc are all taught and learned there.

Taking away paid coaches, however, definitely sends the message that maybe some higher up don't hold that same opinion and think its just something fun to do on the side.

A HS merger would mean a school of 2025 students based on 2015 ADM's. I highly doubt either school was built to hold that number of students. So now you're talking about adding new buildings and such which costs a lot of $$$.

From an athletic standpoint this would make Haywood County HS the 34th largest in the state, and only the 35th HS with over 2000 students just above Jack Britt. The thing I always hate when mergers are talked about is 2 different athletic programs give MANY kids a shot at playing HS sports. Merging into 1 program takes away those opportunities for many kids to play. There is no better learning environment in my opinion than a HS athletics field of any kind. Teamwork, sportsmanship, dealing with adversity, making pressure decisions, etc are all taught and learned there.

Taking away paid coaches, however, definitely sends the message that maybe some higher up don't hold that same opinion and think its just something fun to do on the side.
SPOT ON!!

Would a "Haywood county high school" have the best high school football team in WNC?

Would a "Haywood county high school" have the best high school football team in WNC?
No real change in the athletic make up of the teams.

I agree that it would be a large school and that is not necessarily in the best interest of the students. I don't foresee this in the next decade but down the road, if we continue to lose students, some decisions are going to have to be made. There may not be 2000 HS age kids at some point. Waynesville Middle is still the biggest school in the county and probably needs the pressure taken off from there. I'm sure that in the early 50's folks going to Fines Creek, Bethel, Clyde, etc never saw their high schools closing 15 years later either.

On a smaller scale, Brevard and Rosman may reach a similar circumstance in Transylvania Co. They have a similar problem.

i thnk a haywood county high school woulkd be a very formidable team no doubt probabably not a dominate team though

This little tidbit from yesterday's "Mountaineer" in regards to saving the ALC program for another year. ALC is a highly touted dropout return school. You don't see them (the educational establishment) eat their own very often but......

Upton, the retired school administrator, spoke with directness to school leaders: “You’ve had to make a $2.4 million cut. You’re losing positions. Most of your budget is personnel. Your enrollment is decreasing. You’ve got to address this before it gets any worse,” Upton said. “This isn’t going to go away.”

http://themountaineer.villagesoup.com/p/learning-center-funded-for-coming-year/1524461

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT