ADVERTISEMENT

Hayesville @ Robbinsville

Thatoneguy...

Feb 20, 2014
Here is my honest break down of the boys game. What a thrilling game it was. It took overtime to finish this one off. But not sure what the final was having left with a minute left in OT. But Hayesville seemed to be putting it away. So here starts my opinion. Hayesville is a good team but not a great team. I think as of right now they are not the team everyone built them up to be. This game explains it very well. Robbinsville coming off a schlacking by Cherokee came in ready to play. It was shown with their 12-0 run that completely knocked Hayesville off its rocker. Momentum was definitely one sided. Then foul trouble becomes a factor. First Jesse Franks gets two quick fouls one he shouldn't lost his cool with but gets two. So he sits. Then Cruz picks two. Remember they are already playing without Cole who sat with a sprained knee. So they having to sub quite early. Hayesville runs a effective full court trap that rattles Robbinsville. The lead begins to fade and believe Robbinsville goes in with a 3 point advantage. So for the first half I saw very sloppy play but from what I was expecting was a better Hayesville team. They seemed destined to polish another SMC trophy from what everyone has been saying. Cottrel being a D1 recruit he was going to eat teams alive. Robbinsville basically had no rim protection with Franks sitting so I thought her comes the blow out but nope he was kept in check. Yes he got his points blocks and rebounds but he supposed but I did not see amazing talent. I will hear I am sure his defense and yes everyone has an off night but Robbinsville has no player other than Tyler long close to his height and Long is no where near his size so shouldnt it be a open gate to attack? Did not see the player I'd seen before. But getting to my non expert critique of him I believe his level is mid major D1 like a Western but I do not see full ride material. He is good very good but on nights where you are the best big on the court and your team is still having trouble with a very short handed team then yeah I knock off some points. Robbinsville played a heck of a game and fought hard to the end with what they have. Cruz fouls early in the 4th and yet Robbinsville still pushed it to over time. So Hayesville won but honestly they could finish third in conference. So maybe I'll see another to team next time but tonight was a night that their hype should have been seen but all I saw was a decent team. Robbinsville keep your head up. Playing with heart out there and almost came away with a W. Great coaching and Great effort. I see another show down finale.

This post was edited on 1/13 11:10 PM by Thatoneguy...

Originally posted by Thatoneguy...:
Here is my honest break down of the boys game. What a thrilling game it was. It took overtime to finish this one off. But not sure what the final was having left with a minute left in OT. But Hayesville seemed to be putting it away. So here starts my opinion. Hayesville is a good team but not a great team. I think as of right now they are not the team everyone built them up to be. This game explains it very well. Robbinsville coming off a schlacking by Cherokee came in ready to play. It was shown with their 12-0 run that completely knocked Hayesville off its rocker. Momentum was definitely one sided. Then foul trouble becomes a factor. First Jesse Franks gets two quick fouls one he shouldn't lost his cool with but gets two. So he sits. Then Cruz picks two. Remember they are already playing without Cole who sat with a sprained knee. So they having to sub quite early. Hayesville runs a effective full court trap that rattles Robbinsville. The lead begins to fade and believe Robbinsville goes in with a 3 point advantage. So for the first half I saw very sloppy play but from what I was expecting was a better Hayesville team. They seemed destined to polish another SMC trophy from what everyone has been saying. Cottrel being a D1 recruit he was going to eat teams alive. Robbinsville basically had no rim protection with Franks sitting so I thought her comes the blow out but nope he was kept in check. Yes he got his points blocks and rebounds but he supposed but I did not see amazing talent. I will hear I am sure his defense and yes everyone has an off night but Robbinsville has no player other than Tyler long close to his height and Long is no where near his size so shouldnt it be a open gate to attack? Did not see the player I'd seen before. But getting to my non expert critique of him I believe his level is mid major D1 like a Western but I do not see full ride material. He is good very good but on nights where you are the best big on the court and your team is still having trouble with a very short handed team then yeah I knock off some points. Robbinsville played a heck of a game and fought hard to the end with what they have. Cruz fouls early in the 4th and yet Robbinsville still pushed it to over time. So Hayesville won but honestly they could finish third in conference. So maybe I'll see another to team next time but tonight was a night that their hype should have been seen but all I saw was a decent team. Robbinsville keep your head up. Playing with heart out there and almost came away with a W. Great coaching and Great effort. I see another show down finale.

Obviously I did not see the game, but I have watched both teams go down to Cherokee.

With that said, injuries are part of the game. Everybody has them. Cherokee played several games with one of their starting guards in street clothes. It is what it is! What makes a good team is one that is well rounded and can keep up the tempo with an injured player out. The really good teams will keep on winning. (i.e. Ohio State started a QB in the National Championship game that had only been in 3 games all season!).

Robbinsville is a VERY good team. They were picked to win the conference by many (and still may). However, they have dug themselves a nice little hole. According to the box scores last night, they let Cottrell hang 31 on them. And you're telling us that he wasn't that good! And this was a relatively low scoring game. No way a VERY good team lets one man dominate them like that. Just sayin.......

31 points and you say average... come on man..... The kid can do it all and he makes it look easy. Ive seen him play twice and he is a very good player. He is 6'6 plays hard , strong, and can shoot the ball with range. Give the kid credit.

Originally posted by Mont1963:

Obviously I did not see the game, but I have watched both teams go down to Cherokee.

With that said, injuries are part of the game. Everybody has them. Cherokee played several games with one of their starting guards in street clothes. It is what it is! What makes a good team is one that is well rounded and can keep up the tempo with an injured player out. The really good teams will keep on winning. (i.e. Ohio State started a QB in the National Championship game that had only been in 3 games all season!).

Robbinsville is a VERY good team. They were picked to win the conference by many (and still may). However, they have dug themselves a nice little hole. According to the box scores last night, they let Cottrell hang 31 on them. And you're telling us that he wasn't that good! And this was a relatively low scoring game. No way a VERY good team lets one man dominate them like that. Just sayin.......
Let me see if I got this straight, " I thought her comes the blow out but nope he was kept in check. Yes he got his points blocks and rebounds but he supposed but I did not see amazing talent." according to you, he didn't dominate but he had 31 out of 60 points. He had points, blocks and rebounds, how else do you dominate a game? Several D-1 coaches have made offers and many others are interested, maybe they see something you don't.

I totally disagree with the OP's assessment of Cottrell, he's just an effortless player that makes the game look easy. Do I think he will be a superstar at the D1 level? No, but I think he is definite starter material for a mid major program and perhaps good enough to eventually get minutes at a high major if he chose that route.

I do have to agree with him somewhat about Hayesville as an overall unit, so far they've just not been nearly as good as many people were hyping them to be going into the season. I still think they have the talent to make it regionals but for some reason their talent hasn't meshed that well thus far.

I think Robbinsville boys definitely win last night's game with Huskey on the court, it will be interesting to see if they can win at Hayesville if Huskey is back playing by then. Personally I still think Robbinsville boys are very capable of winning the conference this season as long as Huskey comes back soon. I would still have Cherokee as the favorites but Robbinsville isn't that far behind.

Re: Hayesville @ Robbinsville
ThePolkNation posted on 1/14/2015...

31 points and you say average... come on man..... The kid can do it all and he makes it look easy. Ive seen him play twice and he is a very good player. He is 6'6 plays hard , strong, and can shoot the ball with range. Give the kid credit

+1

Originally posted by ThePolkNation:
31 points and you say average... come on man..... The kid can do it all and he makes it look easy. Ive seen him play twice and he is a very good player. He is 6'6 plays hard , strong, and can shoot the ball with range. Give the kid credit.
+1. You beat me to it.

Originally posted by mbdfan:

I do have to agree with him somewhat about Hayesville as an overall unit, so far they've just not been nearly as good as many people were hyping them to be going into the season.
I think the 10-5 record is surprising at first glance considering how much people (myself included) talked them up. But when you look closer, 3 of those 5 losses were to the #3 4A team in the state, the #2 4A team in GA, and a Rabun Gap team that MaxPreps has 6th in NCISAA 3A and 21st in NC regardless of class. I don't think many, if any, 1A teams would go through that unblemished.

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

I think the 10-5 record is surprising at first glance considering how much people (myself included) talked them up. But when you look closer, 3 of those 5 losses were to the #3 4A team in the state, the #2 4A team in GA, and a Rabun Gap team that MaxPreps has 6th in NCISAA 3A and 21st in NC regardless of class. I don't think many, if any, 1A teams would go through that unblemished.
That's true but I don't think it's the losses to teams like Broughton, Rabun Gap or Gainesville Johnson that has anyone feeling that way. It's the close games and losses to teams like Union Co., White Co. and Robbinsville that perpetuate it.

Those last three are good, solid basketball teams mind you but they're not teams that a true state title contender (as we were lead to believe Hayesville was going into the season) would have as much trouble with as Hayesville's had thus far.

The Jackets are a good team and still have a shot regionals but if I were a betting man I don't think they'll make it there this season and that would definitely be considered a letdown given the expectations placed on this team going into this season.

Perhaps with all their returnees and the Cottrell brothers being a year older and a year better the Jackets can reach this year's preseason hype and expectations, next year.

This post was edited on 1/14 10:11 AM by mbdfan

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

That's true but I don't think it's the losses to teams like Broughton, Rabun Gap or Gainesville Johnson that has anyone feeling that way. It's the close games and losses to teams like Union Co., White Co. and Robbinsville that perpetuate it.

Those last three are good, solid basketball teams mind you but they're not teams that a true state title contender (as we were lead to believe Hayesville was going into the season) would have as much trouble with as Hayesville's had thus far.

The Jackets are a good team and still have a shot regionals but if I were a betting man I don't think they'll make it there this season and that would definitely be considered a letdown given the expectations placed on this team going into this season.

Perhaps with all their returnees and the Cottrell brothers being a year older and a year better the Jackets can reach this year's preseason hype and expectations, next year.

This post was edited on 1/14 10:11 AM by mbdfan
They only have 2 seniors, so that's fair. But I wouldn't write this season off so soon yet, either.

I would like to know how many of these points were inside points. I saw him take a lot outside shots and a lot of mid range runners. Let's not forget he was on the foulline quite a bit. Maybe it is for the scouts. Tell me if I'm wrong but he isn't going to be a center or dominating post in college. I am just thinking he might be showing a different perspective. I am just saying ppl always blow up height I hear 6'6 but let's be honest he 6'5 but being young he could sprout a bit But him and franks were beside each other and Frank had an inch. . I am no expert but I honestly didn't see a full ride college starter. To me he is like a jackson Simmons for teams like Western. Going to be work horse and maybe be stater one day. Hate to knock a young kid he could school me all day but from the hype I expected more. My opinion can ruffle feathers but if you're going to glorify him D-1 then that's what I want to see. 31 points yeah I get it but I never called him average I just said that from expectations he would dominate the inside. Hell maybe it's their offense idk. Just letting it out there. I don't expect him to get another SMC player of the year, this year

This post was edited on 1/14 10:11 AM by Thatoneguy...

I would like to know how many of these points were inside points. I saw him take a lot outside shots and a lot of mid range runners. Let's not forget he was on the foulline quite a bit. Maybe it is for the scouts. Tell me if I'm wrong but he isn't going to be a center or dominating post in college. I am just thinking he might be showing a different perspective. I am just saying ppl always blow up height I hear 6'6 but let's be honest he 6'5 but being young he could sprout a bit But him and franks were beside each other and Frank had an inch. . I am no expert but I honestly didn't see a full ride college starter. To me he is like a jackson Simmons for teams like Western. Going to be work horse and maybe be stater one day. Hate to knock a young kid he could school me all day but from the hype I expected more. My opinion can ruffle feathers but if you're going to glorify him D-1 then that's what I want to see. 31 points yeah I get it but I never called him average I just said that from expectations he would dominate the inside. Hell maybe it's their offense idk. Just letting it out there. I don't expect him to get another SMC player of the year.
You do realize the only reason he plays in the post is because he plays for a rural 1A school, correct? Cottrell is going to play wing in college, probably small forward, he won't be anywhere near the post. His game and Jackson Simmons game are completely different, so either you never watched Simmons play or you don't know too much about basketball.

There's plenty of kids who play in the post for their high school team because they're the tallest kid but move out to the wing in college, happens more often that apparently you realize. Cottrell will never play a minute in the post at the D1 level, so your point is absolutely invalid.

The Jackson Simmons reference was merely a comparison of his role on the team not position. He will work and be a part of the team and start depending where. I could see him staring for UNCA eventually.

I would like to know how many of these points were inside points. I saw him take a lot outside shots and a lot of mid range runners. Let's not forget he was on the foulline quite a bit. Maybe it is for the scouts. Tell me if I'm wrong but he isn't going to be a center or dominating post in college. I am just thinking he might be showing a different perspective. I am just saying ppl always blow up height I hear 6'6 but let's be honest he 6'5 but being young he could sprout a bit But him and franks were beside each other and Frank had an inch. . I am no expert but I honestly didn't see a full ride college starter. To me he is like a jackson Simmons for teams like Western. Going to be work horse and maybe be stater one day. Hate to knock a young kid he could school me all day but from the hype I expected more. My opinion can ruffle feathers but if you're going to glorify him D-1 then that's what I want to see. 31 points yeah I get it but I never called him average I just said that from expectations he would dominate the inside. Hell maybe it's their offense idk. Just letting it out there. I don't expect him to get another SMC player of the year.
You do realize the only reason he plays in the post is because he plays for a rural 1A school, correct? Cottrell is going to play wing in college, probably small forward, he won't be anywhere near the post. His game and Jackson Simmons game are completely different, so either you never watched Simmons play or you don't know too much about basketball.

There's plenty of kids who play in the post for their high school team because they're the tallest kid but move out to the wing in college, happens more often that apparently you realize. Cottrell will never play a minute in the post at the D1 level, so your point is absolutely invalid.
mbd, your point is valid. Cottrell will be a 2 or 3 in college. It is his multiple skills that endear him to college coaches. I think oneguy is only looking to find fault. It is ok for him to have his opinion, but that opinion is shared by very few that know basketball, especially on the collegiate level.

Let me just sway the topic to what I should have focused with and that is the team itself. It is not functioning like I thought it would have. I want to know who they lost from last year that messed this chemistry up or was it already separating. Because of how they finished their season and not saying they had a bad season they played a very good Cherryville team in the 2nd which led to an early exit but they lost in conference which i didn't expect. This year was there any expectations that it would be going this way? I am just not seeing a long playoff run but there is a second half of the season to play so maybe they'll get Cherokee back. Idk? I just saw a team that is playing a level down. Idk it is early and my opinions mean little Cherokee played last half of the season way better because they did lose highlands last year. So maybe Hayesville will bounce back to the level everyone put them on. Right now Cherokee controls the conference from their performances

Maybe somebody needs to attend a game , Cottrell does not play the post , point and wing are primary positions.

Let me just sway the topic to what I should have focused with and that is the team itself. It is not functioning like I thought it would have. I want to know who they lost from last year that messed this chemistry up or was it already separating. Because of how they finished their season and not saying they had a bad season they played a very good Cherryville team in the 2nd which led to an early exit but they lost in conference which i didn't expect. This year was there any expectations that it would be going this way? I am just not seeing a long playoff run but there is a second half of the season to play so maybe they'll get Cherokee back. Idk? I just saw a team that is playing a level down. Idk it is early and my opinions mean little Cherokee played last half of the season way better because they did lose highlands last year. So maybe Hayesville will bounce back to the level everyone put them on. Right now Cherokee controls the conference from their performances
Oneguy, first you disrespect a fine player from Hayesville and now you disrespect their opponents. Why does something have to be wrong at Hayesville? Could it be that their opponents have gotten better? Could it be that as a traditional SMC power and the so-called favorite that they get everyone's best shot? Several SMC teams have improved greatly this year, as I'm sure many would agree. The more you post the more you put your foot in your mouth.

Disrespect and opinion are two different words. Maybe it's the game talking still. but as I've noticed on here is that aren't we all just over opinionated grown men discussing topics on high school sports. When a player is discussed on any level isn't there a bit a skepticism from someone. Fine yes I'll eat my words all day but let's face it I put it up so I will have to stand by it. He has two more years to tear my opinion apart. Hind sights is 20-20 so let's leave it at that. so my opinion has little say it's not going to effect him as a person or player.

Originally posted by dogtuff:

Maybe somebody needs to attend a game , Cottrell does not play the post , point and wing are primary positions.
Are you talking to me? "The one guy" is the one who said he played in the post against Robbinsville, I never said he played the post.

I said if he played in the post against Robbinsville it's because this is 1A ball and he's the tallest player on his team and may have been needed against their size.

This post was edited on 1/14 3:52 PM by mbdfan

Originally posted by recycled2:

mbd, your point is valid. Cottrell will be a 2 or 3 in college. It is his multiple skills that endear him to college coaches. I think oneguy is only looking to find fault. It is ok for him to have his opinion, but that opinion is shared by very few that know basketball, especially on the collegiate level.
that's how I read that statement , maybe not what you meant.

Originally posted by dogtuff:

that's how I read that statement , maybe not what you meant
nah, it wasn't. I feel sure I've had enough visual evidence of Cottrell torching Murphy the last few seasons to know where he lines up on the court.

Wow.

This is very interesting. Here we have arm chair point guards and scouts disagreeing about the quality of a player based on how he scored his 31 points. Have you guys put in your resumes? You guys may want to let the colleges interested in him that he is a scoring the wrong way.

Then you have coaches, whose team is very mediocre and that is a compliment, worrying about what others are saying about a different team on a mesage board. If I was a coach at Murphy, I would focus on making the team better, investigate why I continue to lose the interest of should-be returning players who misteriously quit every year. I wouldn't have time to post on message board.

Hey you guys do you.

Originally posted by Illuminati704:
Wow.

This is very interesting. Here we have arm chair point guards and scouts disagreeing about the quality of a player based on how he scored his 31 points. Have you guys put in your resumes? You guys may want to let the colleges interested in him that he is a scoring the wrong way.

Then you have coaches, whose team is very mediocre and that is a compliment, worrying about what others are saying about a different team on a mesage board. If I was a coach at Murphy, I would focus on making the team better, investigate why I continue to lose the interest of should-be returning players who misteriously quit every year. I wouldn't have time to post on message board.

Hey you guys do you.
I just had a minute between practice , investigating , football workouts, my real job, oh and the Carolina game , and lastly if you think what you or anyone else on these boards say about me bothers me....... sorry its amusement only.

Wow.

just discussing the game man, calm the hell down

and as for the rest of your post, can't fault Coach Thompson for the state of our basketball program, our JV teams are usually pretty solid. The damage is done once they reach varsity, if they reach varsity and don't quit first.

Bravo.

My worst fears wore confirmed: quick to criticize other schools - then immediately get defensive when the focus is on your team. You guys can grow from this. Winning might help.

Bravo.

My worst fears wore confirmed: quick to criticize other schools - then immediately get defensive when the focus is on your team. You guys can grow from this. Winning might
I have n
Bravo.

My worst fears wore confirmed: quick to criticize other schools - then immediately get defensive when the focus is on your team. You guys can grow from this. Winning might help.
I don't think I have ever criticized any school , and certainly don't think I was defensive and I think our school does its share of winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT