ADVERTISEMENT

Hayesville at Rosman!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
Where do I start....This is one of those rivalrys where both sides just love to beat the other, and the series bears that out...

As I mentioned on another thread, the Tigers hold a slim 15-14-1 edge in the all-time series, heading into the 31st meeting this friday in "Roman" as some Yellowjackets prefer to call Rosman...What some Rosman folk call Hayesville can't be put on this website without being banished, but it's all in good fun....

Rosman had played Hayesville 5 times and were 4-0-1 when the Yellowjackets rolled into Tigertown for that 2nd round playoff game in 1993....The Tigers and star RB Bret Chappell had demolished the Yellowjackets during the Regular season in Rosman(38-12), and we fans of course were expecting the same since we had never seen a Rosman team lose to Hayesville....Hayesville had two huge lineman with one about 6'6 and 280lbs and another about 6'2 and 300+, behind them was a big ole FB( Chad McClure) whose Father(Darryl) was making a name for himself coaching the Yellowjackets womens' basketball team to several consecutive state titles, back in those days...Anyway, it was nip and tuck until right before the half when Hayesville made and interception to thwart a late Tiger drive, and it was all downhill from there for the Tigers who lost to Hayesville by nearly the exact same score(39-20) as the Tigers had beaten them earlier...Of course, the Yellowjackets would lose their version of the Mudbowl the following week to Swain County who would eventually play for a state title that season, losing to Hobbton(29-12) in the title game...

That 93' playoff game is NOT what the Tiger fans wanted, but that game is what kick-started this rivalry to what it is today, and that is a rivalry where NEITHER team has won more than 3 games in a row in this series....

Dan Essenburg would get his revenge right before he left for Brevard as the Tigers ended a 3-game losing streak in 96', beating the Yellowjackets on the road in Hayesville 28-15....

The following season would be a memorable one as former coach Jim Fox took over, and guided the Tigers to their 2nd state finals' appearance....But before that could happen, the Tigers had a lot of work to do in the SMC, and one of those jobs included beating a Hayesville team that won the SMC that season, handing the Yellowjackets their only SMC loss that season in dramatic fashion in Rosman....Rosman led 9-7 late, and faced a 4th down and short from near midfield late in the 4th quarter when Coach Fox decided to gamble....He called a wingback reverse to Tiger WB Eric Drury, and it was a perfect playcall as he caught Coach Setzer and the Yellowjackets off guard....Drury was tackled inside the 5, but the Tigers would score, and would win 16-7....Rosman would win again in 98' 34-13 before it was Hayesville's turn again....

In 99', Hayesville would win with 2 long TD passes in a 21-20 Yellowjacket victory to ruin the Tigers Homecoming....Two years later, Rosman would rally from early 20-0 deficit to beat Hayesville 21-20 on Homecoming in Rosman, and the Tigers would not score a point in the next 2 games against the Yellowjackets as Hayesville shutout the Tigers in 02'(21-0) on Homecoming in Hayesville in the most memorable season to date for the Yellowjackets who lost to eventual state champ Elkin later that season in the Western 1A Final in Hayesville...The following year, the Yellowjackets came to Rosman and beat the Tigers 50-0 on Homecoming in 03'....I think everyone associated with this rivalry remembers what happened later that season when Rosman stunned the Yellowjackets in Hayesville in the 2nd round of the playoffs(28-20), ending the Yellowjackets' 10 game winning-streak...A game that I still have on disc which I pull out and listen too every now and then....

After that 2003 season, the two teams traded victories the next 4 games with Rosman pulling another upset at Hayesville(25-22) in 2006....Hayesville would win the next 3 games before Freddie Whitman took over in 2010... Tigers QB Duran Scruggs would score in the final 30 seconds after a 90yd drive late in the 4th quarter as the Tigers ended the Yelllowjackets 3 game winning streak in the series with a 12-7 win on Homecoming in Hayesville...Rosman would win the next 2 before Hayesville ended Rosman's 3 game winning streak with a 10-7 victory on Homecoming in Hayesville in 2012....The Yellowjackets would win again in 2013 in Rosman 35-20 on Homecoming with the Tigers winning in Hayesville on Homecoming last year 35-13....

As for the game this year, it's really hard to say which team will be more motivated with both losing their first game of the season in their last game before this one....Rosman has really been hit with the injury bug as most know, losing not 1 but 2 starting QBs for several weeks prior to this matchup....Fortunately, the Tigers have had a couple weeks to find a solution, and I have NO idea what they are going to do, and how they are going to perform this week....They put up a valiant effort against Mountain Heritage, and had a great opportunity to pull the upset, but couldn't make the big play or stop when they needed it, but they did fight for 4 quarters, and that's really all anybody should ask for...

As for Hayesville, the Yellowjackets also have had a great start to the season, and they will want to make amends for that tough loss last week to Andrews(20-14), so you know they are going to be pleny motivated for this one...

Hope all the Hayesville fans have a safe trip to Tigertown this friday, and hope the game lives up to the rivalry between the two teams with the Tigers scoring 1 more point than the Yellowjackets?

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
So Number 34 is also hurt now? Some Jacket players are banged up too. BTW it is Darryl not Doug. Good luck to both teams, should be a good one.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
If Tesnow is out now too I think this will be closer than I anticipated (and I never thought it was going to be a blowout to begin with)

So Number 34 is also hurt now? Some Jacket players are banged up too. BTW it is Darryl not Doug. Good luck to both teams, should be a good one.

Thanks for the correction....Believe that his son Chad was the FB back in 93 that I couldn't remember earlier this morning, and yeah both Rice and Tesnow are on the shelf for the time being, and don't know if either will be able to go against the Yellowjackets?....Rosman played most of the 2nd half against Mt. Heritage without their top 2 QBs, dropped a TD pass right before the half, and still only got beat by 5 points by the Cougars....It was a great effort by the team, but a couple of chances to pull the upset were missed in spite of the team being short handed in the 2nd half....Was real proud of the team's effort against the Cougars defense that as you saw against West Henderson, is pretty tough....

Hopefully, the team has had enough time to heal a bruise or two, and find a replacement for Rice and Tesnow if neither is available this friday?....Injuries are part of the game, and is something that every team will generally have to face at one point in time during the season....Hope this is the last of the injuries for a while, but I know that is just wishfull thinking with conference play beginning....

It's like the old saying goes, "If you ain't been hit yet, then you ain't played a conference game".....

To the Yellowjacket fans, I say have a safe trip over to Tigertown, this friday.....

And I agree that it should be a good one as is usually the case when these two tangle....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: mbdfan

Thanks for the correction, I've edited the original post...

Roar Tigers Roar!

You ever heard of the "Fall of the Roman Empire" Tigertown?

Get ready............

You ever heard of the "Fall of the Roman Empire" Tigertown?

Get ready............

Yeah, I've heard of it....Have you ever heard of the "Rise of the Roman Empire" SamtheMan?

And we're ready for the Hive to Arrive!

Bring you raingear, cause it's going to be a mudder on friday!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Yeah, I've heard of it....Have you ever heard of the "Rise of the Roman Empire" SamtheMan?

And we're ready for the Hive to Arrive!

Bring you raingear, cause it's going to be a mudder on friday!

Roar Tigers Roar!

NOT FAIR! We do not play in the mud at the Hive!!

Great write up tigertown!!! What is funny is that in 93 it was Chad McClure and Jason Shook and later in 97 it was their younger brothers Jared Shook and Darren McClure in the backfield. A lot of people don't realize the history in this rivalry it is one of the best in the SMC Hayesville considers murphy their rival but we have always had great games with Rosman. The same cant be said with murphy as the series is lop sided big time in favor of murphy. I believe they should shift it to Rosman as they have always been a thorn in their side.

Great write up tigertown!!! What is funny is that in 93 it was Chad McClure and Jason Shook and later in 97 it was their younger brothers Jared Shook and Darren McClure in the backfield. A lot of people don't realize the history in this rivalry it is one of the best in the SMC Hayesville considers murphy their rival but we have always had great games with Rosman. The same cant be said with murphy as the series is lop sided big time in favor of murphy. I believe they should shift it to Rosman as they have always been a thorn in their side.

Didn't know that....Good stuff, smctrain!

Roar Tigers Roar!

NOT FAIR! We do not play in the mud at the Hive!!

I understand, but we're different in Rosman where Tigers love a muddy and swampy landscape....Rosman is now the ONLY place in Transylvania County where football is played the way it's suppose to be played on a grass and dirt(Muddy) surface....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: snake52
I understand, but we're different in Rosman where Tigers love a muddy and swampy landscape....Rosman is now the ONLY place in Transylvania County where football is played the way it's suppose to be played on a grass and dirt(Muddy) surface....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Tiger, you are probably right with your assumption that Sam is referring to the turf. BUT, he could be stating that he is a fair-weather fan and he stays in when the Jackets have to get down and dirty.

Rosman is for real, if they get healthy there may not be a better team in the SMC this season.

It was a dominating performance by the Tigers tonight, and quite possibilly the best single game performance that I've ever seen by a Rosman football player as Tiger Sr. RB Gage Orr exploded onto the statewide 1A landscape tonight....After a scoreless first quarter, the Tigers erupted for 36 in the 2nd to lead by that score at the half, and it was Gage Orr doing most of the damage as he rushed for 4TDs and 271yds, and he also threw for another TD to cousin Justin Fisher who also returned a punt for a TD in the 57-0 rout of the Yellowjackets....

That Notre Dame Box was lethal tonight with Orr, Green and Shipman in the backfield....Best the Tigers have looked on Offense in a very long time IMO...

Tonight was the largest margin of victory by either team in the 31 games played between the two rivals, and may have been the most complete game that I can remember a Tiger team playing in quite some time....Great Blocking all night long by the Tiger players in paving the way for Orr, Green and Shipman....And the defense was stellar all game long....

Kudos to Coach Whitman and the staff and the Tiger players on this memorable SMC Homecoming victory over the Yellowjackets tonight in Rosman....

Rosman now leads the all-time series 16-14-1!

The Tigers Roared tonight!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Rick, any idea when Rice is supposed to be back from his broken collarbone? Rosman is looking good right now but think you guys can take it to another levek when Rice is back in at QB and in the secondary.

Rick, any idea when Rice is supposed to be back from his broken collarbone? Rosman is looking good right now but think you guys can take it to another levek when Rice is back in at QB and in the secondary.

No definite time table is what I was told tonight, but it could be within the next couple of games....Heard Tesnow may be able to return next week, but will have to wait and see about that?....We miss Tesnow and Rice on defense....I joked with some Rosman buddies of mine tonight that Rice better hurry up and get well, or he might just get relagated to the defensive side only because that Notre Dame Box looked tremendous tonight with Orr getting the direct snap most of the time, and either keeping or handing to Green with blockers in front....Reminded me somewhat of the days when RB Jay Sheridan was weaving his way down the field from that Box formation...

When the Tigers block as well as they did tonight, and swarm to the football on defense the way they did, they'll be tough to handle....It's a great sign moving forward....

Keep er' going boys!

Roar Tigers Roar!

I called it at preseason and I'm holding to it. Rosman Is going to be tough to beat. Congratulations and see you next week in Andrews

Rice will return by playoff time. He won't be back until he his fully healthy. Congrats to the Rosman young men last night. Complete ball game all the way on O, D and special teams.
I told someone long ago if ya think Rice is a good QB wait till ya see him play free safety. Keep the physical play up men.

NO MERCY !!!

Rice will return by playoff time. He won't be back until he his fully healthy. Congrats to the Rosman young men last night. Complete ball game all the way on O, D and special teams.
I told someone long ago if ya think Rice is a good QB wait till ya see him play free safety. Keep the physical play up men.

NO MERCY !!!
Have to agree that Rice shouldn't play until he's "Completely" healthy to do so, and also agree that his play on defense has been missed, but it's also been a blessing in regards to developing more depth in the secondary...Should be a huge boost to the team when he does return, and just hope that we don't get any more Tigers hurt too bad before then....

Can't expect None to get hurt because this is afterall the SMC, and we still got the big 3 in front of us....But next up is an Andrews team that cannot and should not be taken lightly because the Wildcats do have size and atheleticism, especially the QB(Parker) and the RB(Ward), and next friday's game will likely be Homecoming for the Wildcats, so you know that they'll want to win?...

We also need to remember that the Tigers are only playing a 10 game schedule this year with Trinity Tenn reneging on their contract, so every game from here on out is extremely important if the Tigers not only want to win the SMC but also have a chance to play a couple or more playoff games at home...Most of the 1A teams in the west are playing an 11 game schedule with an Endowment game, so the Tiger Seniors and the team need to understand that, and I think they do....

Roar Tigers Roar!

The running back for Andrews didn't get much yards on us but the QB was 11-100. Mostly broken pass plays.

Never saw the beat down here coming .. I thought rosman would win but not like that did Hayesville just quit ?

Never saw the beat down here coming .. I thought rosman would win but not like that did Hayesville just quit ?

I think it was more about what Rosman DID, rather than what Hayesville DIDN'T do.....Don't mean to sound flippant, but the Tigers just seemed focused last night....It was wet, and I expected trouble with the snap, but don't remember it happening that much for either team, really....That long TD run early in the 3rd quarter by Orr took the air out of whatever halftime speech that was made, but it's not for me to say that the Hayesville players quit....They need to ask themselves that?....

Of course, I don't think there was any sympathy from the Rosman Coaching staff as they've been on the other end of a 50-0 AxxKicking on Homecoming by the Yellowjackets back in 03'....

Just another item to add to this great little rivalry between the Yellowjackets and Tigers....

Roar Tigers Roar!

I don't think the Tigers went out of their way to hammer Hayesville. It looked like they called the dogs off pretty well what I got to watch through the rain and the mist. Wow what a nasty night. Rosman started sprinkling in subs midway through the 3rd with a running clock and I don't remember Orr, Green, or Shipman touching the ball in the 4th qtr. It was the sophomores getting their shot by that time of the night.Good thing too. Tigers can't afford more injuries and the young guys need game reps to be ready to go if they are needed down the road.

This score just baffles me ... Really thought Hayesville was better ... Great job rosman boy the conference looks like they are gonna be tough outs come playoff time .. Might have 4 of the best small 1a teams in the west..

That 36 points in 8 minute scoring binge before halftime was similar to one of those Swain or Murphy stretches: Punt - TD - Punt - TD - Punt - TD - Fumble - TD - Punt - Return Punt for TD - Halftime. The game was decided in that 1/6th of the contest; there was nothing left.

Reactions: snake52
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT