ADVERTISEMENT

Has 2A ever been stronger?

2A was a lot stronger before it was split up...plus you had teams like Cummings and Thomasville who were title contenders every year back in those days,but now not so much

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
in 2001 Western Alamance was also 9-2 and did not make 2A playoffs....They were in the same conference with Reidsville and Burlington Cummings...............their only losses were to those 2 teams........................

Last edited:
in 2002 Western Alamance was also 9-2 and did not make 2A playoffs....They were in the same conference with Reidsville (who won the state 2AA title) and Burlington Cummings (who won the 2A title)....WA's only 2 losses were to those 2 state title winners................

Those were the days!

Reactions: rambbq
Those were the days!
....Western Alamance was 9-2 in 2001 .....they did not make playoffs that year (2001)....so the next year (2002) was when the nchsaa went to split classification to include more teams in the playoffs....I'm sure the fact that teams with that kind of record not making playoffs played a part in the new process.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
....Western Alamance was 9-2 in 2001 .....they did not make playoffs that year (2001)....so the next year (2002) was when the nchsaa went to split classification to include more teams in the playoffs....I'm sure the fact that teams with that kind of record not making playoffs played a part in the new process.
I know this is about 2A teams but that same year in 2001 4A Northern Nash was 10-1 and ranked #2 in the state behind Independence and didn’t make the playoffs either, were in a 3 way tie in their conference at 4-1, its a shame teams like that and that Western Alamance team were left out! Ok sorry I went off on that tangent!

2A was a lot stronger before it was split up...plus you had teams like Cummings and Thomasville who were title contenders every year back in those days,but now not so much

I agree! Mid to late 90s, you had dominant teams in 2A. Shelby (Still dominant), Thomasville, Forest Hills, Clinton, HP Central, SW Onslow, Reidsville, Cummings, etc., etc. etc

I noticed that there are 24 teams with no losses or one loss this late in the season. That is pretty stout heading into week 10!!!
i wouldnt say its definitely strongest its ever been, but you could have an argument for it.

I hear what all of you are saying but IMO good teams not making the playoffs is due to broken playoff system. Going to MaxPreps rankings is a huge step in the right direction.

the losses that these teams suffered are to the following:
Mt. Airy
Mt. Tabor
South Pointe SC
Hibriten
South Columbus
Randleman
East Bladen
Ayden-Grifton
Glenn
Anson County
Ledford
Tarboro
East Duplin
Not a loss to a bad team at all. Playoffs are gonna be fun!!

I agree! Mid to late 90s, you had dominant teams in 2A. Shelby (Still dominant), Thomasville, Forest Hills, Clinton, HP Central, SW Onslow, Reidsville, Cummings, etc., etc. etc
Reidsville was 3A until 98 and 99 in which they moved to 2A

There are about 25 more teams this season in 2A than last year with the new alignment setup. Wallace Rose Hill, 2016 state 1AA champ, is one of the top teams in 2A this season.

Stan...Reidsville became 2A in the fall of 1997...you and my daughter were part of the class that graduated in spring of 1997...which means 1996 football season was last in 3A.................

Reidsville football seasons - in the Ram era:
3-A from 1969 to 1972
4-A from 1973 to 1976
3-A from 1977 to 1984
4-A from 1985 to 1988
3-A from 1989 to 1996
2-A from 1997 to now
1-A could be in the future?

3-A from 1969 to 1972
4-A from 1973 to 1976
3-A from 1977 to 1984
4-A from 1985 to 1988
3-A from 1989 to 1996
2-A from 1997 to now

I wish residents Rockingham County would see their school board for what it is. There are clear motives with the decisions that are being made.

3-A from 1969 to 1972
4-A from 1973 to 1976
3-A from 1977 to 1984
4-A from 1985 to 1988
3-A from 1989 to 1996
2-A from 1997 to now
drop from 4A to potentially 1A is mind boggling

2004 was a pretty competitive season...I know that Shelby had maybe it's best team ever that didn't win the state championship...beat Cummings in the Western Finals (Brandon Tate) and then lost to SW Onslow in the championship (Kendrick Burney). Shelby had Montgomery, Eskridge, Jolly, Gullatte, and Parks in the backfield.

2004 was a pretty competitive season...I know that Shelby had maybe it's best team ever that didn't win the state championship...beat Cummings in the Western Finals (Brandon Tate) and then lost to SW Onslow in the championship (Kendrick Burney). Shelby had Montgomery, Eskridge, Jolly, Gullatte, and Parks in the backfield.
i think that was the year East Duplin and SW Onslow met in the 3rd. rd. and Kendrick Burney scored on a QB keeper around the left side with a little over a minute left in the game to take the lead and beat ED. talk about heartbreak.

Perhaps these mind boggling abstract conditions reflect human population migrating through schools.
Its happening all over,especially in East. Around Raleigh,Charlotte more schools equal less students at a lot of schools. Here in 1A ranks in nc ,east numbers are way down. I've never seen anything like it in 60 years. We had a team that did not have enough players to play tonight. East Columbus could not play East Bladen. Its sad to see these schools faulter. West Columbus is just about there too. Only 15 players tonight. I'm sure bigger schools will see this too. New Hanover back to 3A this year,other 3 in Wilmington stay at 4A.
We need jobs in eastern nc for a lot of reasons,we have been forgotten. County Commissioners need to do all they can to help. Wonder how long before big cities see decline in numbers.?

Its happening all over,especially in East. Around Raleigh,Charlotte more schools equal less students at a lot of schools. Here in 1A ranks in nc ,east numbers are way down. I've never seen anything like it in 60 years. We had a team that did not have enough players to play tonight. East Columbus could not play East Bladen. Its sad to see these schools faulter. West Columbus is just about there too. Only 15 players tonight. I'm sure bigger schools will see this too. New Hanover back to 3A this year,other 3 in Wilmington stay at 4A.
We need jobs in eastern nc for a lot of reasons,we have been forgotten. County Commissioners need to do all they can to help. Wonder how long before big cities see decline in numbers.?
undoubtedly there are no community football at a young age, no jobs in the rural communities, and no leaders pushing the envelope. Much could be done, but as for now the races are migrating.

Things have changed with all of the Charter/private schools heck Shelby would probably have 3A numbers if not for Thomas Jefferson(9-0 football team) and Pinnacle

Reactions: LonnieFarmJimmy
3-A from 1969 to 1972
4-A from 1973 to 1976
3-A from 1977 to 1984
4-A from 1985 to 1988
3-A from 1989 to 1996
2-A from 1997 to now
1-A next realignment. Three more years after this one left in present 2-A conference, unless Burlington Alamance Schools closes Graham and Cummings. If that happens, guess we will just play Bartlett Yancey about four times each year for conference games.

South Columbus and Whiteville are Columbus County best 2A teams .
SC undefeated right now at 8-0
Whiteville. At 7-1. East Bladen at 7-1.
In 2 weeks SC vs Whiteville could solve some answers for seeding in playoffs.
Whiteville will have a test this week vs St. Paul's for home coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT