ADVERTISEMENT

Get rid of east-west format

Kylar2018

Jul 16, 2019
Can we have all semi finals and championship games at central locations. The west clearly is the better division. I'm tired of wasting money on blowouts. This is starting to get ridiculous

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Yea, no the East only won one, Tarboro. There is a vast difference in the support, facilities, # of coaches per staff, class structure, etc. And Reidsville is most definitely a west team. Unfortunately there were not any surprises to me. Thought maybe Cardinal Gibbons, another private school with incredible support and facilities, would possibly win. I don't blame the teams, players, or coaches for the game scores. I know they bust their butts to win and did everything they could. I do wish they would go to one site for all the games. Play all day over two days or whatever like they do in so many other states.

East only won one game? Outside of stealing a western team to win for them? Dang. Lets go South and North. Or play South Carolina's champion or Virginia or Tennessee.

North and South sounds good until Edenton Holmes has to travel to Murphy or Mt Heritage for a playoff game.

Id say instead of getting rid of East vs West we just make the East start running something besides the wing T.
Or T/Fullhouse. However, the Tarboro T as they call it did well against the pass happy/balanced O of East Surry. I think the only pass Tarboro threw they scored.

In 2019, East surry exploded against Tarboro and they couldn’t stop that spread Offense.

I guess sometimes scheme can make or break a team but it all comes down to talent. If you have more than your opponent you can win with any offense.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I wonder how Tarboro would do in 2a. Might have been the best team out east besides reidsville

Reactions: UNC91
Ain't nothing wrong with the Wing T! Murphy runs it right? WRH has won a few with it. Didn't Robbinsville used to run it? Who else ran the Wing T this weekend from the east that lost? Gotta run what you have the athletes for and to be a great spread team, you must have the QB to get it done.

It doesn’t take long, while looking at a map of North Carolina, to see that the North/South idea is ludicrous.

Look, programs can be successful anywhere. Teams in the East have been successful in the past and will be successful again someday. But the west is definitely in the upswing right now.

I have very little experience with eastern teams. I followed North Davidson one season when they traveled to SW Edgecombe a few years back. I can tell you that the atmosphere that I encountered at that school and in that stadium was pitiful. North traveled 3+ hours and had twice the crowd in the stands at game time. Apparently the principal didn’t know what time the gates opened when folks called down to inquire. I don’t know if most programs in the east are like that? Maybe even SWE isn’t like that. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.

But I’ve gone to regular season games here in this area and have had to walk a mile to get to the stadium (Ledford).
If the atmosphere feels like a JV game on a Thursday night, then you’re missing out.

OH.... I forgot. East Duplin has a great feel to their game back when they absolutely ran all over North Davidson that same season. So, all east teams aren’t lacking in atmosphere. They had fireworks and it was AWESOME!

It doesn’t take long, while looking at a map of North Carolina, to see that the North/South idea is ludicrous.

Look, programs can be successful anywhere. Teams in the East have been successful in the past and will be successful again someday. But the west is definitely in the upswing right now.

I have very little experience with eastern teams. I followed North Davidson one season when they traveled to SW Edgecombe a few years back. I can tell you that the atmosphere that I encountered at that school and in that stadium was pitiful. North traveled 3+ hours and had twice the crowd in the stands at game time. Apparently the principal didn’t know what time the gates opened when folks called down to inquire. I don’t know if most programs in the east are like that? Maybe even SWE isn’t like that. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.

But I’ve gone to regular season games here in this area and have had to walk a mile to get to the stadium (Ledford).
If the atmosphere feels like a JV game on a Thursday night, then you’re missing out.

OH.... I forgot. East Duplin has a great feel to their game back when they absolutely ran all over North Davidson that same season. So, all east teams aren’t lacking in atmosphere. They had fireworks and it was AWESOME!
Ain't no lack of atmosphere in the dog pound

I've heard that, and I believe it.

So, I know the west is winning more championships right now. Is it just a statistical anomaly? I don't buy the theory that the West has better athletes.

I'd love to hear some more opinions.

North and South sounds good until Edenton Holmes has to travel to Murphy or Mt Heritage for a playoff game.

Id say instead of getting rid of East vs West we just make the East start running something besides the wing T.

lol Havelock and Rolesville Rams run somethign besides the Wing T

yeah I guess a North/South format would basically put the 704 metro against the Triad area 2a-4a in the title game every year with an occasional show up from the Mountains. It would be big problem for travel though.

Swain to Pamlico is haul. Havelock vs Hibriten 2nd or 3rd round is a haul.

Last edited:

I wonder how Tarboro would do in 2a. Might have been the best team out east besides reidsville
Before Tarboro moved to 1A in 2013 we went to 5 straight 2A championship games from 2008-2012 and won 3 of them.

The only time SWE fans care is when they play Tarboro

I will take a shot and hope I do not offend anyone. I am a lifetime SE North Carolinian. There are no large towns in eastern NC.

Anyone that has read my posts over the years knows I think coaching is more important than the players. A good coach can have a solid season with average players and a great season with a few studs.

I have to wonder if it is more difficult to attract coaches to these small towns unless they are from the area or have ties to the area.

When these schools have good coaches, they are successful. Take for instance, Padgett at South West Onslow, Avent at James Kenan (first stint), Holley/Price/Motzinger at Wallace Rose Hill, Lewis at Clinton, Battle Holley at East Duplin. ( feel
free to add those I forgot) These SE NC coaches have been successful at their respective schools and mostly with a running attack.

Does the proximity to a larger town (Triad or Charlotte) provide more employment opportunity for the coaches spouse? Certainly the number of qualified assistant coaches is increased when larger towns are within commuting distance.

My team, New Hanover, (I am not a coach) always has athletes but we went through a very tough 6-7 year period when Joe Miller retired. The Athletes didn’t disappear but the coaching lacked. It really wasn’t until Earl Smith came down from Raleigh around 2002 that we turned it around in his first year. Smith returned to Raleigh, reportedly because his wife couldn’t find a job in Wilmington. We remained a solid program under Motzinger and won a State Championship during Earl Smith’s second stint.

I watched the Tarboro game and heard Craddock was from Ohio. Would one of the Tarboro posters shed some light on his ties to the Tarboro area?

Just something to think about.

Reactions: oldway55
I will take a shot and hope I do not offend anyone. I am a lifetime SE North Carolinian. There are no large towns in eastern NC.

Anyone that has read my posts over the years knows I think coaching is more important than the players. A good coach can have a solid season with average players and a great season with a few studs.

I have to wonder if it is more difficult to attract coaches to these small towns unless they are from the area or have ties to the area.

When these schools have good coaches, they are successful. Take for instance, Padgett at South West Onslow, Avent at James Kenan (first stint), Holley/Price/Motzinger at Wallace Rose Hill, Lewis at Clinton, Battle Holley at East Duplin. ( feel
free to add those I forgot) These SE NC coaches have been successful at their respective schools and mostly with a running attack.

Does the proximity to a larger town (Triad or Charlotte) provide more employment opportunity for the coaches spouse? Certainly the number of qualified assistant coaches is increased when larger towns are within commuting distance.

My team, New Hanover, (I am not a coach) always has athletes but we went through a very tough 6-7 year period when Joe Miller retired. The Athletes didn’t disappear but the coaching lacked. It really wasn’t until Earl Smith came down from Raleigh around 2002 that we turned it around in his first year. Smith returned to Raleigh, reportedly because his wife couldn’t find a job in Wilmington. We remained a solid program under Motzinger and won a State Championship during Earl Smith’s second stint.

I watched the Tarboro game and heard Craddock was from Ohio. Would one of the Tarboro posters shed some light on his ties to the Tarboro area?

Just something to think about.
Craddock moved here around ‘97 I believe. Not really sure how he ended up here. I think he might’ve knew the head coach we had at the time- but he started off as an assistant coach and took over as head coach in 2004.

Reactions: Wizard of the East
Ain't nothing wrong with the Wing T! Murphy runs it right? WRH has won a few with it. Didn't Robbinsville used to run it? Who else ran the Wing T this weekend from the east that lost? Gotta run what you have the athletes for and to be a great spread team, you must have the QB to get it done.
Yep, and it keeps bringing home rings for them time and again. Robbinsville still runs a lot of Wing T stuff. Almost the entire SMC runs either veer or Wing T or some combination of the two. And that conference just keeps piling up the titles.

There's no need to run the same offense as everybody else just because. At least for 1a ball it ain't scheme that hurts the east vs the west it is coaching and lack of physicality.

Winning 80% of the games in the 21st century is more than an upswing

Yep, and it keeps bringing home rings for them time and again. Robbinsville still runs a lot of Wing T stuff. Almost the entire SMC runs either veer or Wing T or some combination of the two.
Can someone tell the South Davidson community that you can have an enrollment of under 400 and still be competitive in football? Last ADM I checked, Robbinsville has fewer kids than South Davidson.. and 100X the success.

Yep, and it keeps bringing home rings for them time and again. Robbinsville still runs a lot of Wing T stuff. Almost the entire SMC runs either veer or Wing T or some combination of the two. And that conference just keeps piling up the titles.

There's no need to run the same offense as everybody else just because. At least for 1a ball it ain't scheme that hurts the east vs the west it is coaching and lack of physicality.
People are scared to say that, but it's true. You can see the difference in who is more savvy and how strategy differ.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I have been to several schools across the state. Taken in games at Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville. This is not a blanket statement but the facilities in most eastern areas pale in comparison to much of the state. Some extremely financially repressed areas.

I agree that coaching and continuity in the coaching staff are at the top of the list for success. The schools that do well seem to get a solid HC that stays and builds a very good staff. I think it starts with the culture that the HC builds. Community support, if lacking, normally comes with winning.

Reactions: CatScratchFever23
I have been to several schools across the state. Taken in games at Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville. This is not a blanket statement but the facilities in most eastern areas pale in comparison to much of the state. Some extremely financially repressed areas.

I agree that coaching and continuity in the coaching staff are at the top of the list for success. The schools that do well seem to get a solid HC that stays and builds a very good staff. I think it starts with the culture that the HC builds. Community support, if lacking, normally comes with winning.
Exactly. The facilities in the west are mostly better than those in the east. The east 1A schools are so poor. And there isn't the same emphasis on football. I saw this because of the vast difference in west schools with coaches on staff as teachers, vs. that of the east. HC stability often is the result of administrative support and community support.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
In the Northeast part of the state Northeastern and Holmes have good programs, coaches and facilities. Perquimans is making a push with nice facilities and a solid staff. Their top assistant and O-coordinator coached under Hoggard and Mattera at Holmes and is doing a good job setting a new standard there. Washington has a strong program, a new locker room/fieldhouse and a young up and coming coach. Tarboro of course is the gold standard in this part of the state. I am sure I am missing a few teams but the posters on this thread are correct as these programs are the exception and not the rule.

In the Northeast part of the state Northeastern and Holmes have good programs, coaches and facilities. Perquimans is making a push with nice facilities and a solid staff. Their top assistant and O-coordinator coached under Hoggard and Mattera at Holmes and is doing a good job setting a new standard there. Washington has a strong program, a new locker room/fieldhouse and a young up and coming coach. Tarboro of course is the gold standard in this part of the state. I am sure I am missing a few teams but the posters on this thread are correct as these programs are the exception and not the rule.
Isn't Northeastern a new school? Those in the east are still far and few compared to the west. Glad we have Tarboro!

Havelock has a beautiful stadium. Along with Nash and Pitt county schools. There are some nice football stadiums in the east. You just don't see a lot of them at the 1a level.

Tarboro was competitive in 3A at one time as well.
Yep. The 3A title we won in 1984 against Kanapolis-Brown is arguably the most impressive title we’ve won - because they only had one champion per division, they played at the higher seeds home field, and the rumor was that Brown had more members in their band than Tarboro had on their entire football team....also Tarboro held brown to 0 first downs the entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT