ADVERTISEMENT

Future at Albemarle?????

Buddy Rich

May 24, 2005
Since our season ended early just wondering what some of the Albemarle posters think the future holds. After what happened this year that's really all we have to talk about. First and foremost who will be the head coach. I figure Doug will be back and if so the man needs some help on the coaching staff. I figure Hamilton and Blanton will be back and don't really know the other assistants except Gregory as OC and sure hope they replace him. I look for good things from Wes the AD as he will have a year under his belt. All the foulups this year need to be corrected and some kind of system put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again. The forfeit thing. I know it left a bad taste in the kids mind but they need to put it behind them and for the one's returning to look forward to next season. What else can one do. Understand their's a large freshman class coming up so that should help our numbers. We still have plenty of athletes in the school so here's hoping they will continue to come out for sports and participate. We could be getting a new principle as the county rotates them every few years and this could be the year for that. I think the jv's did pretty good this year so that should also help. I think the most important thing we need at Albemarle is some stability in the whole school. To many distractions this past year and in the end the whole season went up in flames. As for me it seems very odd having to read all about the teams in the playoffs when we are sitting at home. Can't remember this happening in a very long time. We just have to get past this and hope for a brighter future. Go Dogs.

I posted this in the Thomasville/Albemarle thread but moved it here when I saw this one.

I expect changes at a few of the schools. West has a very good coach but does not support him the way he was told they would. He is another that does not have the assistants in school even though they have had candidates for the positions.

If Doug is out who is in at Albemarle? Doubtful Albemarle will be able to go out and get a big time coach. The coaching stipend in Stanly County is low and with the HC not allowed to be the AD it takes a bit of the potential package away. (I agree with the HC not being the AD by the way.) Hiring a new coach will be very interesting if that is something that must be done. I for one think Doug deserves another year if he wants it but he/they have got to get him some help with football coaching experience that will be working in the school. Also, a young aggressive assistant that played college football (quarterback would be preferred) would be a good addition to come in and work with potential QBs helping the OC and bring some new ideas to the offense.

"As for me it seems very odd having to read all about the teams in the playoffs when we are sitting at home." yeah lol its been 20 years.

Future Expectations: My expectations for this team are what everybody is expecting. The program will only get better.

Football Outlook: (let me take a sip of my coffee). Not sure if Doug will be the head coach or not, but he's done a better job than Seth did, imo. The major thing I'm concerned about is "Can they Grow as Coaches". I saw this in Doug. He prepared for the infamous "Pooch Kick" from WM, in which Seth couldn't even do in a live game situation! Another concern is the OC. He did not give #35 the ball as he should have. He ran #16 til the Sun burnt out...I'm not really sure what type of system they are trying to install in Albemarle, but I hope they find something that works. Everyone is going with the mobile QB type of player now and trust me Buddy, JV has a stud. I saw that with my own eyes, that kid is really good and can sling it on the run, he's strong and fast. When they played North Moore, it took about three players to bring him down on one play. As far as RB's go, #35 is the only horse we have coming in next year. I am pretty excited about him getting an opportunity to show us what he can really do. And he has two more year to get it done! They also have another RB/Scat Back on JV #10. Not sure if you went to any of the games this year Buddy, but he's pretty good...matter of fact he should be on varsity next year "Starting". He just needs to get his weight up. I haven't heard anything at this point, but chit chatting with Wes, he said that he has some exciting things coming, so we just have to wait until next year to see what he means by that.

Stability Outlook: Not one single school in Stanly County has gone through the issues that we've gone through. Not one! With the shake up on the Board of Education, I look for an immediate change in the way Albemarle has been treated these last 5 years. I mean your telling me that if I reside past the DMV office which is in city limits that my child has to go to West Stanly?! Good bye Mr. Poole and hello "Back to Business". See people don't seem to get it threw their "Thick Skulls" this is a new era that we live in, we have to offer the kids something that they are interested in and will prepare them for the next level. Example, at Harrisburg middle, they offer a class where the kids build Robots! talking about preparing for the future, image a class full of engineers. Does Albemarle still offer "Wood Shop" as a class? I bet they do. Yeah I can get a degree in Wood Shop and make 50K...yeah right. Talk about living in the stone age. I hate to down my Alumni, but that's the truth. Yell tallyho when you see the fox.

But honestly it may take a while to build back the foundation that we once had at Albemarle. I know some people that I went to school with whom choose to become teachers and came back to Albemarle to teach. Great people, but like I said, it will take some time to rebuild in that area. On top of that, teacher pay really isn't that good.

Albemarle's future is bright--academically and athletically. I've been in education for 23 years--all levels at that, from the classroom to administration and yes, for most of that as a coach (in six different sports). Bumps happen in the high school arena. The paperwork and responsibilities of coaches and ADs are ten times that of twenty years ago. Mistakes in paperwork happen, transfers muddy the picture, and new admins and coaches are a few things that lead to situations such as the Bulldogs. Then there's the other mistakes like Greensboro Dudley is mired in; those are mistakes that will have far reaching consequences on personnel and policy for the school and possibly some other Guilford County high schools.

Albemarle has the athletes and a base from which to draw, so no worries there. The shooting incident was out of anyone's hands and doesn't pertain to the football issue, but the fact both occurred so close together makes the layperson point fingers left and right. Academics are sound. Anyone can check and high school's annual report card on the State Department of Public Instruction site to see the highs and lows.

The big variable in any school setting? The parents, or guardians, or caregivers, whichever fits the bill in our politically correct society. Those individuals point the way for the children, pave the path for expectations, pick up those who fall down, and never point fingers unless it is at a mirror. Coaches and ADs are not multi-million dollar employees in this state; they often scrape by and sacrifice their family life and personal dreams to lead these young men and women. My emphasis on having a strong adult base to guide the path of a school can be seen nowhere clearer than what many have seen at North Moore. Sure, strong academic base, but suffering financially for lack of football gates and in student apathy in athletics. Coach Vogt brought a positive motivation to a stagnant program and is turning it around. Will it be a West Montgomery or Albemarle? No. It's a different world there altogether. Yet the important aspect is that he has/is rekindling the love and spirit of competition in student athletes, teachers, and the communities that make up North Moore.

Albemarle will continue to be Albemarle. No question. No coaching change should take place, no fingers should be pointed. Stand up, take responsibility for the school's path and help to pave it. Be proud of what you are and learn from mistakes.

In the end, what I hope WE all are pulling for, is getting the YVC on par with those boys in the mountains and their conference, the Smoky Valley...

Good luck Albemarle. We're pulling for you.

Gook luck West Montgomery. Bring it home...

Sway, They still offer Cabinet Making ( Shop) and that is what Doug Talbert teaches.

Well I'll be.................................................who teaches weight lifting then? the English teacher?

I don't know but I wish I would have taken the class when I was in school. I had a son that took it for 4 years as an elective and he can to this day make about anything he wants out of wood.

I took 2 years of it. Never got a chance to use those skill sets after school. But man, I thought they would have laid waste to that program. I know it's costing them money to re-supply/supply the wood unless it's donated. They are probably using the same wood when I was there lol.

One of the best post I have read in a long time, NM88. Thanks for the input. Good luck at NM.

I was talking with a former coach last night at the Whiteville game. I did not know u folks only had 1 coach on paid staff. Or faculty member as head coach. That must be tough. Your school is one of the most successful schools in the state. You will be back next year to your
regular success I'm sure. Good luck and best wishes.

I have not ties to Albemarle, but would like to make the following comment on your post. I would like for you to think about what you are doing when you post a coach's name on a public website. I have no problem with you commenting using title like head coach, OC, DC, assist coach etc... but consider the fact that when you write a coach's name, it is personal. Consider the fact that in North Carolina, the typical assistant coach works for about 20 cents per hour. No kidding, that is about what it figures out to. These guys never get a weekend off during the season, with the many hours of scout film that must be broken down. They practice until dark every day, and then go home and watch practice film until late into the night. They cannot go to the local grocery store or to church without someone wanting to talk strategy. They have no life, and their families have no husband or father, and they gladly give all they have in order to help other folk's kids become men. Sure, they make mistakes, but they do so because they are willing to risk everything in order to give those kids a chance to succeed. Coaches give everything they have for the good of the team. They will never be compensated financially for their efforts. The only thing they get to walk away with when it is over is their name. They deserve to protect their names. Please, when you are kicked back in your bleacher seat judging their imperfections, let them keep their names.

Thanks,
BSC

BigSkyCountry I missed your post....unintentionally. I hope your go to other boards and see how "Other" posters put coaches names out and say what they say and comment the way you are commenting here.....nuff said. Carry on.

@Buddy anything new? how was Thanksgiving? I haven't heard anything on my side, besides the fact that we need to get more football minded people on our coaching staff.

NM88 you are right about ALB and WEST and the people supporting them just look at the building as you go in the gate at WM the school system did not do that, Look at the wonderful baseball field that the school system did not do it takes people who care

Anyone check out the SNAP. Way to throw the coach under the bus

"Hands Down" that is the best article I have ever read out of the SNAP. There is still some fighting going on after we had to forfeit 10 games this season. That lets me know that we still have some fight in us.

Headline: "AD bears blame for AHS forfeits"
Summary:
They only mentioned one parent that went to the Board of Education expressing his anger toward AHS and its coaching staff. By the way it looks, this is no regular parent. He seemed very educated on the matter at hand, also he had two children that played on the team. He goes on to tell the Board that the AD had documentation showing that the two players (non starters) we ineligible to participate in fall sports. Not only that, one of the students was removed from the baseball team past spring because of this.

Now! the good stuff! It does look like the AD threw the head coach under a little bit, and I quote:

"I made a mistake of trusting in our head football coach that this was done properly. We have learned from these mistakes and implemented a new program that allows our players' eligibility requirements to be checked by numerous sources and signed by everyone on site at the same time. As long as I am athletic director at Albemarle High School I will ensure that this will never happen again. We have to move forward."

end quote

The AD goes on to say that he was informed by the past AD that it is the responsibility of the "Head Coach" to check whether or not a student is eligible. Our current AD was informed by our "Past" AD that it was the responsibility of the HC to check for these things (Sabotage). The current priciple also takes some blame in this because she supervises the AD.

This was found out by another teacher checking for students eligible for graduation. But the parent says that the AD "Knew" or didn't "Know" what he was looking at when he was handed the documentation. He says that there were "Check" marks for students that we eligible and non-checks for students ineligible. Lol this guys seems like he's a class act.

Last but not least and I quote:
"This marks the second parental group during the young school year to allege problems at AHS. Advocates for Better Stanly County Schools previously charged that AHS is RIDDLED with academic short-comings, compared to other high schools in the district."

end quote.

Well damn!

As Harry Truman once said "the buck stops here" This all sounds like everyone was passing the buck or blame. First off a new AD, a new head coach and a principal that's not real interested in sports is the perfect storm for something like this to happen. IF the previous AD told the new AD is was the coaches job to check on elegibility then it was SABOTAGE. Notice I said IF. I do think there is plenty of blame to go around. If all the problems do exist at the HS maybe its time for a change in principals. I don't think this would have happened on Dave Bright's watch.
But what's done is done and I will take the new AD at his word that this will never happen again. A lot of people have been hurt by this especially the kids on the team. The seniors were deprived of something that they can never get back. Just a sad occurance of events. We can now hope to start anew and look forward to next season.

I think the one word that best fits AHS is dysfunctional. I like what coach talbert called it ,a "four headed monster". Hats off to mr Davis who took this to the school board to try and get some answers as to what went wrong. Hope some good comes from this and they all get their act together at Albemarle. If this happens again I really think some heads should roll.

Yeah hats off to him. Also hats off too Doug for not using the "Blame Game" pointing the finger back at the AD. Time to move forward.

Buck stops with the Athletic Director. Period. As a high school administrator I can attest to this. Coach may give an "eye test" look, but the AD has an air-conditioned office and padded chair with a large desk in it for a purpose: sit back and review, review, review. All before the first snap of the year. AD failed at his assignment. Period.

Then to cast the blame by saying "I made the mistake of trusting...." No, the AD made the mistake of not doing his job.

AD failed what we call the "mirror test"

I really didn't know who's job it was, but after the article in the local paper and what you just stated It must be the AD's job. Not taking up for him but he didn't start at Albemarle till mid-August of this year and it was his first AD job. Still the blame has to fall in his lap.

A first year head coach and a first year AD proved to be a recipe for disaster. I still fault the principal for part of the problem for not being a little more informed of the process. The county office used to have an AD for the entire school system which should have given Albemarle's new AD a heads up as to what some of his job duties included. They may have done away with the county AD position with their budget cuts. I hate it for the kids but what is done is done and the only thing now is to make sure it never happens again. Hopefully next year things will run more smoothly.

Budget cuts? They just gave the new Sheriff a 7% pay increase 2% over state, which rounded out at 67K and some change lol. More like "Buddy Buddy" system....and not you BuddyRich I know your system has more class than that lol.

Originally posted by NM88:
Buck stops with the Athletic Director. Period. As a high school administrator I can attest to this. Coach may give an "eye test" look, but the AD has an air-conditioned office and padded chair with a large desk in it for a purpose: sit back and review, review, review. All before the first snap of the year. AD failed at his assignment. Period.

Then to cast the blame by saying "I made the mistake of trusting...." No, the AD made the mistake of not doing his job.

AD failed what we call the "mirror test"
I think the AD started the week of the first game. Had never been an AD. It is hard to put this on him. The best thing is for the AD and HC to come out and take responsibility themselves and move on.

First year head coach that works out in the shop area and he is the only football coach in the school. There is a problem in itself. Good assistants in school walking the halls, speaking with teachers, guidance counselors, and the players is a positive.

In 1998 West Charlotte forfeited 12 games and 18,000 in playoff money. Crazy rule for a magnet student who had been at the school for two years and was eligible in any county in the state but Mecklenburg. The AD missed it and took the blame. Said it was his job. Tom Knotts came out and said from then on he and a couple of assistants would all review any eligibility paperwork in the future.

You can put the blame on the new Head Coach or the new AD but the bottom line is if Seth Smith would have used some self control and common sense he would have still been the head coach and the forfeits would have never happened.

Concerning Seth's situation. I look at it like this.....You can't be an A-Hole and have a litte #ick....pick a "Struggle". With that being said, we would not have been moving forward in our program. With nearly 10 years under Gaster, he didn't learn a darn thing, I mean who does that? But yeah I agree, I don't think this would have happened with him there...I choose the pick the "Greater" of two evils in this case.

Beginning or veteran AD doesn't make any difference. If I am the AD when the eligibility papers come across my desk and I sign off of them, then I am responsible. There's no way out if I sign off on them. If I'm in the position then the expectation is that I can do the job.

I do hope they get the entire situation resolved soon, though. For the sake of the program and, more importantly, the school.

Originally posted by NM88:

I do hope they get the entire situation resolved soon, though. For the sake of the program and, more importantly, the school.
Most important thing in addition to learn from it. The parent needs to back off now. The only thing more he can get is a termination or two.

For the record Stanly County, even Albemarle, is not a place that coaches talk about wanting to work. The county has low supplements and there is a long time disconnect between the schools, the system, and the board.

And when you have such a disconnect, the end result will always be finger pointing and blaming--in this case, between four entities: the parents, the schools, the system (district offices), and the board of education. Not likely to play out well.

One good thing...in the recent elections, two long-time school board members who have been very anti-progress were voted out. This can only mean better things in the future IMHO.

The parent that wrote the article is a guy who has been accused of stealing from a church as youth minister as well as a controversial public figure in closing of his own business for "family" reasons. Everyone in the Albemarle community knows he is crazy and is wondering why he was allowed to post an article based on his opinion. This whole situation sucks but it seems that AHS has learned from the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT