ADVERTISEMENT

Frigid Night For Football And How To Beat The Cold

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
Guys, I got to thinking about this while talking to my buddy Cheerduck who works in West Jefferson, NC.If any of you don't know where it is it's in the Northwest corner of the state and it is of course a mountainous area. Tomorrow's high, there, is thirty two. It won't be that cold outside that area but it's still going to be bad enough. The predicted temp at game time, here, is the mid-thirties.It just so happens the Maiden Blue Devils have to make that trip to take on the Ashe County Huskies.

After freezing my posterior off for years I think I've figured out how to reduce the effects of cold weather at football games. A couple of years ago I made up my mind to not get too cold at games,anymore. I read for a few days and put together those things that made sense to me and it has worked pretty well. I've put this on here before but let me share it with you again in case you're one of those fans that gets cold easily. Or if you're like me and don't have expensive thermals such as the guys that hunt or are outdoors a lot. Maybe this will help, some.

-Do not wear a typical cotton t-shirt next to your body. It does not wick away perspiration which makes one cold when the temps are low. Wear something made of rayon or polyester or a fabric other than cotton materials as an undergarment, like a summer pullover shirt (check the tag.NO COTTON next to the body). These shirts can purchased at Walmart, cheap. Also, a jogging suit that is not made of cotton and does not have cotton padding is a good first layer. Same thing for drawers, no cotton.

Wear a couple layers over your under shirt . I think it's best if you don't wear cotton and wear a thicker shirt but thinner material allows better mobility. Then wear a coat. In 2008 I purchased some padded coveralls at Walmart. I would think they're mostly made of cotton but they are the very last thing I put on. They cost me about fifty dollars, then, but they work. I deliberately got them a little oversized so I could put them on and take them off, easily. They've been helpful and they don't wear out easily.

Bring gloves. I found with gloves you get what you pay for. A long time ago my family was visiting my uncle in Hickory. It was during the winter and their neighbor had on mittens. I'd never seen mittens, only gloves. I asked my father where the fingers were for his gloves and he told me the man had no fingers. When I asked what happened to them he said he lost them picking his nose...For me, mittens are more comfortable and don't cause the hands to sweat as badly. Wear a cap or hat and something for the ears. It's good to have a scarf, a soft one that does not itch the neck and feels comfortable when pulled up over the nose. Speaking of the nose, take tissues to stem the drip.

As for the feet, wear a couple pairs of thin socks and take an extra pair in case you need them or to change the inner-most pair. Something else I picked up from one of the mountain posters. Spray you feet with antiperspirant. The best one I've found is Right Guard Sport. It's in a black can and comes out in powder form.It doesn't smell loud. Warning, do not get the powder fresh scent. To me, it's an unpleasant, almost stifling smell... the feet are still going to perspire a little but I thought this did help. Don't be shy about changing socks with other fans sitting around you. If you want to be courteous you might say "don't worry, I've recently had a shower and my feet do not smell".

Well, that's my idea on how to beat the cold at football games. Good luck to your team.
happy.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/13 8:06 PM by Lincolnton

Lincolnton, my friend. I've seen your cold weather attire firsthand. It appears to be very effective and, I suspect, reasonably priced. Our mountain land is about five miles from Ashe County High School. We were planning on going there this weekend, but a friend of mine gave me tickets in the Blue Zone in Chapel Hill. Figured I'd find out how it feels to have the option of sitting outside in the cold, or going indoors with the fatcats where they have good food and potable antifreeze. And besides, figured I'd better go to my alma mater and watch a game while college football still exists. The implosion is imminent.
And, judging from what I've read about Dudley, high school football may not be far behind. Hope you enjoy the game of your choice. I have no doubt you will stay warm. Hope to see your Wolves (and you) in Winston in a few weeks.

Ocdavis,
it's always good to hear from you, my friend. I think you have a couple of great choices. I know Carolina plays Pittsburgh, Saturday. Best of luck to the Tarheels. I would loved to have went to school there. I hope you guys have a great time. I'm convinced you've earned it. You do a lot for others.

HighPointTeams, glad to help. Thanks for saying something, and good luck to the Bison.
This post was edited on 11/13 8:46 PM by Lincolnton

Good ideas there, Lincolnton.

Hope you stay warm tomorrow night and your Wolves keep rolling. After the way they beat up the Rams last year I am glad to see them go 2AA.
smile.r191677.gif

I would also suggest a couple of those hand warmers you can pick up at most sporting goods stores and maybe at Walmart.

A good toboggan also helps.

Originally posted by Lincolnton:
Guys, I got to thinking about this while talking to my buddy Cheerduck who works in West Jefferson, NC.If any of you don't know where it is it's in the Northwest corner of the state and it is of course a mountainous area. Tomorrow's high, there, is thirty two. It won't be that cold outside that area but it's still going to be bad enough. The predicted temp at game time, here, is the mid-thirties.It just so happens the Maiden Blue Devils have to make that trip to take on the Ashe County Huskies.

After freezing my posterior off for years I think I've figured out how to reduce the effects of cold weather at football games. A couple of years ago I made up my mind to not get too cold at games,anymore. I read for a few days and put together those things that made sense to me and it has worked pretty well. I've put this on here before but let me share it with you again in case you're one of those fans that gets cold easily. Or if you're like me and don't have expensive thermals such as the guys that hunt or are outdoors a lot. Maybe this will help, some.

-Do not wear a typical cotton t-shirt next to your body. It does not wick away perspiration which makes one cold when the temps are low. Wear something made of rayon or polyester or a fabric other than cotton materials as an undergarment, like a summer pullover shirt (check the tag.NO COTTON next to the body). These shirts can purchased at Walmart, cheap. Also, a jogging suit that is not made of cotton and does not have cotton padding is a good first layer. Same thing for drawers, no cotton.

Wear a couple layers over your under shirt . I think it's best if you don't wear cotton and wear a thicker shirt but thinner material allows better mobility. Then wear a coat. In 2008 I purchased some padded coveralls at Walmart. I would think they're mostly made of cotton but they are the very last thing I put on. They cost me about fifty dollars, then, but they work. I deliberately got them a little oversized so I could put them on and take them off, easily. They've been helpful and they don't wear out easily.

Bring gloves. I found with gloves you get what you pay for. A long time ago my family was visiting my uncle in Hickory. It was during the winter and their neighbor had on mittens. I'd never seen mittens, only gloves. I asked my father where the fingers were for his gloves and he told me the man had no fingers. When I asked what happened to them he said he lost them picking his nose...For me, mittens are more comfortable and don't cause the hands to sweat as badly. Wear a cap or hat and something for the ears. It's good to have a scarf, a soft one that does not itch the neck and feels comfortable when pulled up over the nose. Speaking of the nose, take tissues to stem the drip.

As for the feet, wear a couple pairs of thin socks and take an extra pair in case you need them or to change the inner-most pair. Something else I picked up from one of the mountain posters. Spray you feet with antiperspirant. The best one I've found is Right Guard Sport. It's in a black can and comes out in powder form.It doesn't smell loud. Warning, do not get the powder fresh scent. To me, it's an unpleasant, almost stifling smell... the feet are still going to perspire a little but I thought this did help. Don't be shy about changing socks with other fans sitting around you. If you want to be courteous you might say "don't worry, I've recently had a shower and my feet do not smell".

Well, that's my idea on how to beat the cold at football games. Good luck to your team.
happy.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/13 8:06 PM by Lincolnton
When I left the High Country around 4 pm this evening, it was 38 degrees and blowing snow......Thermos time tomorrow night.....Lincolnton I just can't see myself changing socks in cold weather to replace sweaty ones....LOL.....I'm with OCDavis31 I like the inside potable beverages myself.....

The Mule, Those Rams hit back and they hit hard. I haven't forgot how tough it was for us to make a first down, last year, when we were there.I know Reidsville will do well, this year, and go far. Good luck to you guys. The hand warmers are a good idea.

Cheerduck, if Ashe County had a large creek adjacent to their stadium it might be almost unbearable with those temps. Have you ever heard the expression "sneaky cold". That's what we got. Last week, I dressed out in my coveralls and some of our fans were asking if they weren't too much. By games end I saw some of them drawn up because of the chill. You have to be there awhile before you realize how cold it feels and by then it's too late.

This post was edited on 11/13 11:07 PM by Lincolnton

Guys,I'll be honest our players here on the coast never
played in weather as u are saying Ash Co. Has there in
winter. Only average temp here in Columbus Co is 30
maybe in November. This is at night,50 or so daytime
highs. A cold front coming Friday nite will be in high
20 or so before game is over.

Gotoblueg, good luck to your team, whomever you pull for... Ashe, Avery and Watauga Counties are the peaks of the Appalachians.It's snows and gets colder there than any place else in the state. Our location isn't to bad except that there is a lot of water around our stadium and when it gets cold it feels so damp.A lot of people complain about out stadium being cold but it's the dampness that causes it.

Yeah PD, I keep forgetting about the TOE WARMERS!

Keeping the head, hands, and feet warm most important, particularly for us old guys who can't take the cold like some of our younger types.
wink.r191677.gif

Take it from an expert in Thermodynamics.....
3dgrin.r191677.gif
........The scarf is all important....lots of heat loss through an exposed neck....scarf is actually more important than a hat....(well I still have hair to insulate) (gray but at least its still up there)...

Also the mittens are far better limiting heat loss than gloves.....fingers are together instead of exposed 360 degrees.....

Chipshot, thanks for the information and advice. Good luck to the Stallions against Warren County. They have to drive a couple hundred miles to get to play South Columbus.

Speaking of games on a frigid evening, I recall reading posts between SC fans some years ago.They were discussing an upcoming game and mentioned it would be cold that particular night. Then one began to talk about "chicken bog". Me or some other poster ask about it and someone said it was chicken, rice (not sure on rice) and maybe sausage, among other things. I got it in my mind that it has a slight black pepper bite to it. Anyway, it sounded really good especially on a chilly fall night.

As far as eating, my life style is pretty erratic so I pay attention when one talks about good food. One of these days when I can afford to retire and if I'm able, I intend to drive to Tabor City on one of those days when it's going to be cold and get to the game early and try out chicken bog. Hope you get to take in a game, tonight.

lol......remember the "chicken bog" discussion Lincolnton.....

.....and yes it just soupy rice and chicken.....

I usually boil my chicken and then debone it.....also most importantly if you add sausage fully cook it in a separate pot until done......then drain....and add to the chicken pot...then the rice......

Dang that will be good tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm not in the mountains but it still gets a little chilly down here on the coast but I often wear wool socks. One pair of wool socks works better than 2 or 3 pairs of regular cotton socks. Wool is a little pricey but it works very well in the cold.

Under Armour Coldgear for your base layer. I fussed about the price originally but am glad to have it. Mock turtle neck, then sweater. Agree on the wool socks. Wear a polypropelene liner under them as well as glove liners. Knit hat/toboggan/touque for your lid.

I've heard of chicken slick but I've not heard tell of chicken bog but it sounds like something I need to try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT