ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Nights in Carolina 4A Preseason power ranking

one thing I think everyone is missing here is that when Catholic went to 4A championships we had small 4a or large 3a numbers. This time around we are playing schools with close to 3000 kids and we have 1100. Does anyone in 4a have less or anywhere close to as few kids? I think we can give any of the top schools a great game, especially at home. I also remember several years ago when we played Mallard Creek and the games were just ridiculous physical mismatches. I think it will be a couple years before Catholic is ready to make a playoff run week after week against the largest schools (say Butler, Hough, Mallard Creek, Chambers all in some order in a row). Just my opinion, Hope the boys prove me wrong, they often have in the past.
Well I think Butler and Chambers numbers were under 2000 the past couple years and they would probably easily beat teams like Ak and SM who have those almost 3000 numbers you are talking about. Not as big of factor as you think.

The numbers of are a slight disadvantage but Catholic also has built in advantages that many don’t have that you should point out.

Two pieces I would say to that. I think Catholic has come along way in the weight room since those days. There might be one or two physical mismatches but not many for them.

Let's also remember those 13 and 14 Creek teams manhandled everyone those years, not just Catholic. I think avg margin of victory in 13 was 45 points or something like that.

Chambers, Grimsley maybe Hough might be a tough matchup. Not much more than that.
Their weight program has made a difference. One historical dialogue I overheard and I will pick on Langston Wertz a bit. He was once poking Coach Oddo about his offense. At the time they were undefeated and making a deep run in the 3A playoffs.

Wertz: Coach when are going to go to the spread and open it up?
Oddo: What for?
Wertz: You can score more points?
Oddo: We are averaging 48 points a game, my starters have sat the second half of most our games. How many points do we need?
Wertz: But it is more exciting.
Oddo: I find a time consuming drive or a trap up the gut that goes to the house pretty exciting too.
Wertz: But coach, teams can load the box and will put 11 men in it
Oddo: Good. That's where I want them.
Wertz: Why would you want that?
Oddo: Because 5-6 don't want to be in the box. They want to chase rabbits in a spread offense. After they have to come up and meet a lead blocker or a 200+ lb back running downhill at you several times, they start to leave the box.
Wertz: But coach, what happens when you get to the late rounds of the playoffs and you run into a team that is bigger, stronger, faster and just as well coached as your team. That type of team will give you problems.
Oddo: Yep. That type of team gives everyone problems. But we are still going to show up and see what happens.

Brodowicz seems to be continuing the same philosophy. Only difference is that he will throw it 10-12 times a game instead of 2-3 and a passing down and distance is more than just 2nd and 1.

4A is deep this year and to your point, there are 5-6 teams that would be difficult matchups for Catholic. Actually, for everybody. A Chambers or a Hough will most likely beat themselves before somebody actually beats them.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Their weight program has made a difference. One historical dialogue I overheard and I will pick on Langston Wertz a bit. He was once poking Coach Oddo about his offense. At the time they were undefeated and making a deep run in the 3A playoffs.

Wertz: Coach when are going to go to the spread and open it up?
Oddo: What for?
Wertz: You can score more points?
Oddo: We are averaging 48 points a game, my starters have sat the second half of most our games. How many points do we need?
Wertz: But it is more exciting.
Oddo: I find a time consuming drive or a trap up the gut that goes to the house pretty exciting too.
Wertz: But coach, teams can load the box and will put 11 men in it
Oddo: Good. That's where I want them.
Wertz: Why would you want that?
Oddo: Because 5-6 don't want to be in the box. They want to chase rabbits in a spread offense. After they have to come up and meet a lead blocker or a 200+ lb back running downhill at you several times, they start to leave the box.
Wertz: But coach, what happens when you get to the late rounds of the playoffs and you run into a team that is bigger, stronger, faster and just as well coached as your team. That type of team will give you problems.
Oddo: Yep. That type of team gives everyone problems. But we are still going to show up and see what happens.

Brodowicz seems to be continuing the same philosophy. Only difference is that he will throw it 10-12 times a game instead of 2-3 and a passing down and distance is more than just 2nd and 1.

4A is deep this year and to your point, there are 5-6 teams that would be difficult matchups for Catholic. Actually, for everybody. A Chambers or a Hough will most likely beat themselves before somebody actually beats them.
Great interview. Oddo was/is still right. That was Catholic football last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT