ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Nights in Carolina 4A Preseason power ranking

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Looking at Friday Nights in Carolina 4A early preseason power rankings this is what I seen in top 15. I’m sure other polls be different.

1) Chambers
2) Grimsley
3) Rolesville
4) Charlotte Catholic
5) Hough
6) Butler
7) Cardinal Gibbons
8) Mt Tabor
9) Cleveland
10) Myers Park
11) Wake Forrest
12) New Bern
13) Leesville Road
14) Glenn
15) Providence

Reactions: jojr01
Looking at Friday Nights in Carolina 4A early preseason power rankings this is what I seen in top 15. I’m sure other polls be different.

1) Chambers
2) Grimsley
3) Rolesville
4) Charlotte Catholic
5) Hough
6) Butler
7) Cardinal Gibbons
8) Mt Tabor
9) Cleveland
10) Myers Park
11) Wake Forrest
12) New Bern
13) Leesville Road
14) Glenn
15) Providence
Good start. 4A packed. Dudley, East Forsyth, Richmond Co., West Forsyth (and I am a Charlotte area person) omitted, plus several others with the potential to make some noise. Cream will rise during the season. Beauty is that some in this list play each other. Right now, everyone is undefeated, everyone is optimistic, all teams look good in shorts and all fans see a path to the House.

Good start. 4A packed. Dudley, East Forsyth, Richmond Co., West Forsyth (and I am a Charlotte area person) omitted, plus several others with the potential to make some noise. Cream will rise during the season. Beauty is that some in this list play each other. Right now, everyone is undefeated, everyone is optimistic, all teams look good in shorts and all fans see a path to the House.
Dudley is still 3A

Dudley is still 3

1) Chambers
2) Grimsley
3) Rolesville
4) Charlotte Catholic
5) Hough
6) Butler
7) Cardinal Gibbons
8) Mt Tabor
9) Cleveland
10) Myers Park
11) Wake Forrest
12) New Bern
13) Leesville Road
14) Glenn
15) Providence
Whaaaaatttt..... you mean Richie Rich didn't make the list?...lol

• Haha
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Yes they are in the Greater Neuse River Conference. With teams like Clayton, Garner, Fuquay-Varina and others.
VIK VAL is it too early to know if Cleveland will be 4A or 4AA? Im hoping they go 4AA because I want to see how RB Hampton performs against the best in the playoffs. I personally feel he is the best RB in the state.

There is no 4A or 4AA, its just 4A so Richmond, Cardinal Gibbons New Bern Cleveland will be in the same bracket as Rolesville, Hoggard, Wake Forest Leesville Road

Is this year Hough gets over the hump?

Will Rolesville come out of the east again?

How will Catholic and Gibbons fair playing in an open 4A?

Going to be very interesting.

Grimsley has a nice little opener at home against Clayton. I'm very interested in seeing how Clayton does this season. I'm a big fan of Coach Handy.

Deana hasn’t announced our 2021 ranking plans, but we’ll be doing something different with polls. I’m not sure what the timeline is.

Reactions: UNC91
ACR is a top 15 team imo. Defensively, one of the best squads in WNC maybe even the state. Young on offense but those players gained some valuable experience this past spring.

If I were posting a ranking, West Forsyth would probably be between 15-18th and A.C. Reynolds would probably be around 30th, but as I've told a lot of folks, the 4A is about 65 teams deep in regards to very high-quality programs, and I think the gap between 20-40th is razor-thin.

If I were posting a ranking, West Forsyth would probably be between 15-18th and A.C. Reynolds would probably be around 30th, but as I've told a lot of folks, the 4A is about 65 teams deep in regards to very high-quality programs, and I think the gap between 20-40th is razor-thin.
Not the same without you on the beats.

Reactions: UNC91
Weddington may not be a Top-10 team this year, but they are still very good and very much a Top-20 team, which is still pretty darn good in this stacked 4A.

Catholic should not be ahead of Hough, Butler, Gibbons or Tabor. They did their thing in 3A but this 4A world might be humbling.

tabor coming from 3a as well. Catholic has been 4a before. I don’t get you guts sometimes, a good team is a good team regardless

Catholic should not be ahead of Hough, Butler, Gibbons or Tabor. They did their thing in 3A but this 4A world might be humbling.
4A is going to be humbling for everyone. Can’t afford to have a bad night, or come out flat. Playoffs will be loaded with quality teams from top to bottom. CC has face the same competition, or better competition throughout the years. Nothing new for them.

Last edited:
As a die hard fan, I agree...today. They have been there before. Was small 4A for a while where they won and lost a state championship game. Also in a mixed 3A/4A conference as a 3A team that they won about every year. 4A won't intimidate them as they don't shy away from anybody, having lined up against the likes of Mallard Creek, Gonzaga, Good Counsel, (Northwestern, SC when they had Mason Rudolf) among others over the years. 4 straight state championships with a lot of returning players this year says they can be competitive regardless who they play. Their style of play will frustrate a lot of teams that like to chase rabbits and to race up and down the field. I am cautiously optimistic but would put them in the top 20, not top 4, until they prove something. In five weeks, I might be a little more mouthy but if they show up with their B game they can get thumped, as Weddington showed a couple of years ago. Right now everyone is undefeated and everyone looks good in shorts. That all changes in 10 days.

There are small 4A teams that can compete with 4AA teams. I think Grimsley would have given Chambers a better game than Myers Park.
Yea, Grimsley would have given Chambers a better game than Myers Park for sure. Still would have Chambers winning that game though.

I'm extremely excited for football this year. Gone are those awful sub divisions and we're left with what should have been here from the beginning. 1a, 2a, 3a, and 4a. This is real football imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT