ADVERTISEMENT

Forbush

Statement from Yadkin County Schools:

EN23yzSX0AANNbs

I don't like this move at all.. and the school's reaction in the Journal article was awful honestly. Principal tried to blame Chris for their errors which isn't his fault at all.

Forbush just hasn't had consistent talent before now since when I started playing in 2007, add to it Starmount's run lasting for a while and being put in the WPAC Chris's run never had a chance honestly. He had that 2013 team but they had a hard schedule and over-performed. His 2014 and 16 teams under-performed but again they were in a conference filled with more athletic teams. Put them in MVAC where they should be at now and they'd won 6-7 games every year at least between 2013-2016 and 2018 as well.

To be even more honest without Chris they wouldn't have turned the corner.. the program was a joke when he took over. Mitchell ran them into the ground after 2006 and if we hadn't been in the state we were in in 2009 they wouldn't have won a game his last year. Mitchell exploited that 2004 senior class and had 2 good years but was crap besides that. Johnson was miles better of a HC than he was. He brought stability to their program.

Whoever takes the job is gonna have a nice 2 year stretch where they could be pretty good, but honestly they can under-perform as well. They were close to Chris and played hard for him, a wrong hire could drop them. After 2021 it will probably be back to irrelevance unless they have another good group. As for who wants it I really don't know.. wouldn't be suprised if they go for someone who loves the spread or someone more run based. Chris was always 50/50 on his offenses but he had a nice hybrid set up.

I feel awful for Chris honestly, he wasted a nice stretch of time trying to build them up when he coulda left for better pastures quite a few times (he coulda been our HC at least once, and I know he wanted the MA job too.) Wherever he goes he is gonna be a help and when he gets another HC job he will do wonders for them.

Unless he wants a year off or decides to take a coordinator position maybe in Forsyth, I say he ends up at West Wilkes.

Some schools need to realize they will never be world beaters in football, and if you have a coach that builds great young men and had a solid relationship with the kids, thats ok.

This move baffles me... best of luck to Coach Johnson. Another school thinking they should be better than they are... time will tell, but this is bad timing. New coach comes in (or moves up from within) and makes changes that the kids don’t adjust to until halfway through the season, probably finish similar spot as this year and get slaughtered in the first round again. The grass isn’t always greener falcon nation... The kids probably loved him and some parents got together and complained over stuff they know nothing about. They better hire from within, because if I were a coach I wouldn’t want to go to a place where they let you got after a 7 win season and good numbers throughout the program. Just an outsiders perspective. Basketball and baseball coaches better be on their toes if the same kids play the big 3 sports. They just let got of a man who dedicated a decade to Forbush, no coach is safe.

This move baffles me... best of luck to Coach Johnson. Another school thinking they should be better than they are... time will tell, but this is bad timing. New coach comes in (or moves up from within) and makes changes that the kids don’t adjust to until halfway through the season, probably finish similar spot as this year and get slaughtered in the first round again. The grass isn’t always greener falcon nation... The kids probably loved him and some parents got together and complained over stuff they know nothing about. They better hire from within, because if I were a coach I wouldn’t want to go to a place where they let you got after a 7 win season and good numbers throughout the program. Just an outsiders perspective. Basketball and baseball coaches better be on their toes if the same kids play the big 3 sports. They just let got of a man who dedicated a decade to Forbush, no coach is safe.

Yeah I agree 100% with that.. Forbush isn't in the shape they were in the 90's in that they can't force changes and expect it to be 100% perfect. They don't have the consistent talent like in those days.. besides the seniors and juniors they have this year their group's aren't world winning. Their JV parents the last 3 have been annoying, I can hear all of them in the stands. I bet he had to deal with a lot of crap. When something wouldn't go right it was his fault and he'd get blamed for it constantly. I felt bad for him.

From the way the Principal talked I wouldn't trust him with much of anything either. I'm willing to bet he either has someone in mind or just changed his mind on a whim and let him go. Either way that's not a good look.

Reactions: Be_A_Dog
Unless he wants a year off or decides to take a coordinator position maybe in Forsyth, I say he ends up at West Wilkes.

Some schools need to realize they will never be world beaters in football, and if you have a coach that builds great young men and had a solid relationship with the kids, thats ok.

West would be perfect for him honestly just hope he didn't miss their deadline. They have similar talent to 'Bush but they need some stabilization and he's the perfect coach for that. Hear their middle school team wasn't bad so he might have some talent to work with if it he gets it.

West would be perfect for him honestly just hope he didn't miss their deadline. They have similar talent to 'Bush but they need some stabilization and he's the perfect coach for that. Hear their middle school team wasn't bad so he might have some talent to work with if it he gets it.
Where does he live, did he move to Yadkin county?

I figure their applicant pool hasn't been huge or at least quality if I had to guess. Could be wrong. Either way if I'm Rutz I'm on the phone with Johnson no matter who I've interviewed.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I figure their applicant pool hasn't been huge or at least quality if I had to guess. Could be wrong. Either way if I'm Rutz I'm on the phone with Johnson no matter who I've interviewed.

Yeah pretty much.. from what I understand Rutz took the job because they had no one they liked to pick from. sad state to be in. Their landscape got so nuked they had to rebuild it to being even habitable for someone to take over. This may be their chance to rebuild properly.
When you have a coach of his caliber available you need to at least offer him an invite down. It is possible to win at West.. they had solid years for the most part for 13 years back when I was coming up until when Hunt got there. They won't ever have the fast cats but they can outhit people with the right talent.

To at least not offer him a coordinator spot would be dumb. It wouldn't take him long at all to do well there, I hope it happens honestly.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Yeah pretty much.. from what I understand Rutz took the job because they had no one they liked to pick from. sad state to be in. Their landscape got so nuked they had to rebuild it to being even habitable for someone to take over. This may be their chance to rebuild properly.
When you have a coach of his caliber available you need to at least offer him an invite down. It is possible to win at West.. they had solid years for the most part for 13 years back when I was coming up until when Hunt got there. They won't ever have the fast cats but they can outhit people with the right talent.

To at least not offer him a coordinator spot would be dumb. It wouldn't take him long at all to do well there, I hope it happens honestly.

Its hard to coach and win in Wilkes County. To be honest West might be the easiest place to win with the right man there. The applicant pool at East Wilkes wasn't great from what I heard when Adkins left.

If he did he wasn't a finalist for whatever reason when they interviewed.
From the people I have talked to, Principal Sandy George didn’t want him hired at MA because apparently she isn’t (or wasn’t) too fond of Coach Johnson. Heard that Coach Holder was rather dumbfounded when he found out Coach Johnson wasn’t getting the MA job a couple of years ago. Small town politics...

I mean if George wasn't too fond of him I'm sure there are reasons. We don't know what happened in the school building during his time there. Had Johnson of gotten the job because of Holder one could argue small town politics with that. That's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Reactions: btango
bush has had the talent in the feeder schools to field good teams ..lots of these kids were made to go elsewhere so they could win conference championships on the other side of the county …I know several ppl interviewing for the job .. I would be surprised if bush middle school coach doesn't get the job .. hes doing a great job

From the people I have talked to, Principal Sandy George didn’t want him hired at MA because apparently she isn’t (or wasn’t) too fond of Coach Johnson. Heard that Coach Holder was rather dumbfounded when he found out Coach Johnson wasn’t getting the MA job a couple of years ago. Small town politics...

Yeah I heard that too, he was in the final 3 and was the favorite but somehow they didn't want him.. honestly I think that was the wrong move. Adkins is a decent coach but there's no telling how long he will stay there. He's always moved for better jobs.. Chris wouldn't. I heard it broke his heart pretty bad when he didn't go.

He actually applied for the NS job in 2009 as well from what I understand but the same thing happened. I woulda played for him those 2 years. It ended up working out for us in the long run though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT