ADVERTISEMENT

For My 16,000th post...

Coach Dempsey of SWO had a classic comment on face book:

JUST MORE TIME TO GET READY!! MAKE IT HAPPEN, DON’T MAKE EXCUSES!!
1f4aa_1f3fb.png
1f4aa_1f3fb.png
1f4aa_1f3fb.png
#HORSEPOWER

Well the past couple years have been mike but we’ve hD a couple inches a couple times each year but Feb-MRch may be the most volatile time with the changing of season. It’s been several years but I’ve seen 18 inches in the middle of March and then you have icing. Sure we don’t have the snows the west get from the Great Lake effect but if a low pressure comes out f the gulf up the coast when a artic blas occurs look out and February -March is most likely for bot to occur. not Dec-Jan. I’m surprised they didn’t select Jan-March

Wiz I was always told Clinton at Pisgah (playoffs) in the late 70s was the coldest game in Darkhorse history.

Yes that wa the 1976 State 3A Championship game Canton, NC. Though I dd not personally go to that game(I was personally new to Clinton-72 and had. coworker who had played for the DarkHorses and our boss said someone had to stay back and work so I did and my coworker went Over the many years I’ve had many DarkHirse friends who attended that game and they will all say it was the coldest game they ever attended. If you asked a old DarkHorze fan they will say that without question or thinking about it

Reactions: sam
Wiz I was always told Clinton at Pisgah (playoffs) in the late 70s was the coldest game in Darkhorse history.

My dad played in this game. He said it was so cold most of the Clinton boys wore panty hose back then as like an old school under armor layer to try and keep warm.

Funny story from this game:

Pisgah had been used to killing teams, well they didn’t kill us but won nonetheless. However late in the game I mean like 10-15 seconds left, they are winning, game in hand, they instead of taking a knee, decide to pass to try and score. Their WR is running down our sideline on his way to a sure TD when out of nowhere one our Clinton players comes off the bench, steps on the field, and straight close lines this dude, leading to huge fight to end the game. I’ve always thought this was hilarious. They won’t gonna score again per that guy.

P.S. I kept names out of this out of respect but I know this guy well and he remembers it perfectly.

Reactions: dogs79
My dad played in this game. He said it was so cold most of the Clinton boys wore panty hose back then as like an old school under armor layer to try and keep warm.

Funny story from this game:

Pisgah had been used to killing teams, well they didn’t kill us but won nonetheless. However late in the game I mean like 10-15 seconds left, they are winning, game in hand, they instead of taking a knee, decide to pass to try and score. Their WR is running down our sideline on his way to a sure TD when out of nowhere one our Clinton players comes off the bench, steps on the field, and straight close lines this dude, leading to huge fight to end the game. I’ve always thought this was hilarious. They won’t gonna score again per that guy.

P.S. I kept names out of this out of respect but I know this guy well and he remembers it perfectly.

I'm almost sure I remember seeing this on local sports on TV afterwards. I could be confusing it with another but 76 was my senior year of football.

I'm almost sure I remember seeing this on local sports on TV afterwards. I could be confusing it with another but 76 was my senior year of football.

You know it’s old school when dad said everyone got drunk in hotel afterwards. I was like Dad but y’all were in highschool, he was like son, that didn’t matter back then lol.

There were more than a few folks a little buzzed at what I believe was the only hotel in town, following the 1979 3A State Championship game. We had 10 people in our little two queen bed room. Didn't really matter, nobody slept anyway. I've only been through Ahoskie a few times since, they must've built a new school or quit playing football cause what used to be a football field ain't any more.

04, I know the guy very well too,. he goes to our church. I asked him once was it myth or legend. He said I came off the bench for the play!

My friends that went to the game ( i normally would have been with them) said the had all the clothes they could wear and still be mobile!

You actually bring up an interesting point with games being played during that time. Eastern NC shuts down at night when the roads are icy. There are more icy nights during that time than people may realize. Eastern North Carolina cities don't generally have equipment to salt roads quickly. This entire year is going to be interesting.

Also at smaller 2a and 1a, our best players play basketball and baseball. Kids choosing one sport could effect allot of football teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT