ADVERTISEMENT

For Fun - Last Year's Playoffs in Next Year's Classes

GrizzlyDevil

Nov 22, 2011
I got bored again.

I wanted to see what last year's playoffs would look like if we applied next year's classifications (as in just a 2A playoff, no dividing). I still used last year's info (ADM's/MaxPreps Rankings) and instead of a cut to 64, I only made the cut to 32. Then I skipped the normal 2A/2AA split since they'll all be just 2A and proceeded with dividing 16 east and 16 west. From there I sorted the #1 qualifiers by MPR, then the #2 qualifiers by MPR, there was only 1 #3 qualifier (Ledford). No wildcards made it since the 32 slots filled up with 1-2-3 qualifiers.

**This is just for fun! I halfway refreshed myself on the process and numbers and just threw it together. This is just to pass the time and to let a few of you flap your gums to one another. I know we are all chomping at the bit to see how things pan out on Saturday when our NCHSAA Overlords feed us their crumbs.**

Here is what I got, if last years 2A playoffs had no subdivisions:

2A East
1 - Clinton vs 16 - East Duplin
8 - South Granville vs 9 - Washington

5 - Red Springs vs 12 - Beddingfield
4 - Reidsville vs 13 - Bartlett Yancey
------------------------------------------------
3 - SW Edgecombe vs 14 - Currituck County
6 - West Craven vs 11 - Eastern Randolph

7 - SW Onslow vs 10 - Whiteville
2 - Northeastern vs 15 - Croatan

**Note: If you want to prevent same conference first round matches in the east then switch 15 and 16 seed, and 13 and 14 seed (the west bracket didn't have that issue)

2A West
1 - Shelby vs 16 - Ledford
8 - West Stokes vs 9 - Ashe County

5 - Hibriten vs 12 - Smoky Mountain
4 - Randleman vs 13 - Salisbury

7 - Oak Grove vs 10 - Burns
2 - Mountain Heritage vs 15 - Bunker Hill

Personally I see this ending up with a Shelby vs Reidsville match, one of the greatest "what if" matches around!

I may have messed up by not adding in West Stanly. You see, the Rocky River conference only gets 1 automatic qualifier, that was Anson, but they were disqualified. West Stanly being the 2nd place in that conference meant that they were a wildcard, therefore didn't make the cut of 32.

If they are deemed the automatic 1 from Rocky River, then they would go West and that would bump out Ledford. This would place West Stanly at #7 seed.

Then the West would look like this:

2A West
1 - Shelby vs 16 - Bunker Hill
8 - Oak Grove vs 9 - West Stokes

5 - Hibriten vs 12 - Maiden
4 - Randleman vs 13 - Smoky Mountain

7 - West Stanly vs 10 - Ashe County
2 - Mountain Heritage vs 15 - North Surry

I still don't think this changes Shelby winning the West.

I may have messed up by not adding in West Stanly. You see, the Rocky River conference only gets 1 automatic qualifier, that was Anson, but they were disqualified. West Stanly being the 2nd place in that conference meant that they were a wildcard, therefore didn't make the cut of 32.

If they are deemed the automatic 1 from Rocky River, then they would go West and that would bump out Ledford. This would place West Stanly at #7 seed.

Then the West would look like this:

2A West
1 - Shelby vs 16 - Bunker Hill
8 - Oak Grove vs 9 - West Stokes

5 - Hibriten vs 12 - Maiden
4 - Randleman vs 13 - Smoky Mountain

7 - West Stanly vs 10 - Ashe County
2 - Mountain Heritage vs 15 - North Surry

I still don't think this changes Shelby winning the West.
Good stuff! Maiden!
The glaring thing about this to me is so many good football teams are missing! West Lincoln, East Lincoln, Pisgah, South Point, Eastern Randolph, Providence Grove, and several more!
I’m struggling with it! I’m an underdog guy! There’s teams here that could’ve made a run.
Salisbury at 14....ended up in the big show with Shelby! Incredible! I think North Lincoln would have took ‘em to the woodshed! Burns at 11...good grief! I wonder if that Brevard team could have played with Burns? Instead....Brevard singlehandedly took out the PAC7...I think...and then went to Reidsville and gave them all they wanted!

Ain’t sure I like it!....some teams are good and just need that one big win to start believing and then anything is possible!
Thanks! Grizzly. It’s an eye opener for me!

Thanks Creek! Part of my reason doing this. Once we switch, I believe it'll be obvious a BUNCH of good teams will be left out. Conference play will mean more than ever, and the new conferences aren't the most desirable, a lot of 2A/1A splits! (I believe this means those conferences only get 1 2A auto qualifier). It'll be interesting for sure!

There will be alot of good teams left out this spring. Next fall, even though they are stopping the subdivision, the same number of teams will qualify that qualified when we were subdividing in the past and a round is being added to the playoffs. So really there wont be good teams left out.....the same teams will get in in the fall that got in last fall.....this spring is where there are going to be good teams left out.

Oh okay. I hadn't seen it said anywhere and just assumed. That'll make things better! Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT