ADVERTISEMENT

For BlueDevil1996 or anyone else

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
The other day, I'd mentioned to you that I finally was able to maximize the avatar, beneath your screen name, to where I could see it was a baseball trophy awarded to the 2019 4A state champs, the Mooresville Blue Devils. To add to it, here is a little bit of heritage from that area. Just click the link from Wikipedia. There is also a YouTube link.

*Side note: Once in awhile I get off topic on the football boards and someone has to remind me of what it is (a football board). Yes, I know that, but I thought if I put it on the baseball board the addressee might not find it. Sportsnut might move it but at least he'll give him time too see it. Thanks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyt_Wilhelm

MC, the Wikipedia article said he was injured in World War II, in the Battle if the Bulge, and carried a piece of shrapnel in his back throughout his career. It went on to say he was born to a poor farming family in Huntersville, NC.
I was in Huntersville,yesterday. One would be hard pressed to find a farm, there, now. What it does have is rush hour traffic that moves at a snail’s pace. It’s now the edge of Charlotte.

MC, the Wikipedia article said he was injured in World War II, in the Battle if the Bulge, and carried a piece of shrapnel in his back throughout his career. It went on to say he was born to a poor farming family in Huntersville, NC.
I was in Huntersville,yesterday. One would be hard pressed to find a farm, there, now. What it does have is rush hour traffic that moves at a snail’s pace. It’s now the edge of Charlotte.
Gotta feeling...Lincolnton and Maiden might be next after hwy 16 is complete. 😢

Warren Spahn was in the Battle of the Bulge as well. He said...I was raised in Buffalo, NY....and I thought I knew what cold was!
That tells it all.... about how cold it was during that battle!

If a location is within driving distance of Charlotte (eg Maiden and Lincolnton) urban sprawl will probably get there. Considering the Startown Road, I know the Apple (computer) plant is over there, but I wonder if the Maiden town council wasn't anticipating other kinds of development, too.

Thanks for the Info about Warren Spahn.

If a location is within driving distance of Charlotte (eg Maiden and Lincolnton) urban sprawl will probably get there. Considering the Startown Road, I know the Apple (computer) plant is over there, but I wonder if the Maiden town council wasn't anticipating other kinds of development, too.

Thanks for the Info about Warren Spahn.
I’m not sure about Startown road... but it wouldn’t surprise me. I hear that the ongoing solar field project, near Tuttle school, will be the largest solar field in the state. There’s also a housing project being considered off of hwy 321 business just on the north end of town that will bring an additional 250 homes to our area. That alone.... would be a huge change for our small town.
My last trip over to East Lincoln... I took St. James Church Road over by Verdict Ridge golf club and I couldn’t believe how many new homes were being built in that area. Multiple large housing developments under construction. Business is definitely booming over in that neck of the woods!
Charlotte is headed our way....or it’s here already!😁

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Gotta feeling...Lincolnton and Maiden might be next after hwy 16 is complete. 😢

Warren Spahn was in the Battle of the Bulge as well. He said...I was raised in Buffalo, NY....and I thought I knew what cold was!
That tells it all.... about how cold it was during that battle!
It's Memorial Day weekend so this is very appropriate! I had a relative who fought at the battle of the bulge. He didn't talk of it very often but one night as my wife and I visited he did. He talked of the extreme cold and dead. He was in a fox hole as he's by bombing from artillery was taken place. Suddenly he heard a voice telling him he was not safe to move. He told the guy in the fox hole he was getting out that it was not safe there. The other guy stayed put. As he crawled away another round came in and hit in the fox hole he had been in. He never knew if the other guy stayed or went out the other side. He committed himself to serving God when he got home. He loved to hunt and was a master carpenter. He could stand on the ground and cut angles on boards to pass up to his grandchildren to install. Boards fit every time. He was a preacher as long as I knew him. No tv in his house. You would never know what he had been through unless you were close family. He just didn't talk about it with others. He had medals but I never saw them. He wasn't a proud man over medals won for killing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT