ADVERTISEMENT

Football & Covid and if season happens

devilmac99

Feb 5, 2003
Guys,
I discussed this with a close friend who is a professor at an SEC school yesterday - The topic was if a major college team lets say Clemson has Travis E or Trevor L test positive before a big game and they are asymptomatic do you think they are going to be pulled and the public (teammates, opponent will be notified)? Leaving the whole HIPPA argument out of this. We can exchange Clemson with LSU, Bama, Georgia or any other big time program. I'm curious to your thoughts?

Nationals pulled a player last night before openning night for testing positive. Not sure Hippa rules/standards really matter on the topic of Covid. Players are testing positive and being quarantined for their safety and the safety of others since this virus is so easily spread. HS football is screwed for the fall. College will probably play but teams will be effected by positive tests. The college teams with great depth will be fine as always.

Nationals pulled a player last night before openning night for testing positive. Not sure Hippa rules/standards really matter on the topic of Covid. Players are testing positive and being quarantined for their safety and the safety of others since this virus is so easily spread. HS football is screwed for the fall. College will probably play but teams will be effected by positive tests. The college teams with great depth will be fine as always.
HIPPA rules matter, but any individual can agree to divulge medical information to anyone they choose. Or, professional athletes may be waiving that right in order to play. Many who test positive probably want the public to know because they feel it’s important information for reduction in the spread of the disease. And it’s better than the public and social media speculating on why they were pulled.

And that's what I mean by HIPPA rules may not matter with this situation because of the effort to slow the spread of Covid. My daughter had a co worker get sick and test positive a couple of weeks ago. Now my daughter is sick as well and we're still waiting for test results. They are both 17. So, unfortunately this Covid has hit home and it's not fun. She feels like total sh.. I could see it spreading rapidly in schools this fall when we return in person unless there is a vaccine.

There should be no problem with HIPPA rules the player that tests positive doesn't play no reason needs to be given. Anyone exposed to the positive player should be notified...

There should be no problem with HIPPA rules the player that tests positive doesn't play no reason needs to be given. Anyone exposed to the positive player should be notified...
In order for anyone to be notified of a positive test, the player (or his parents, if he’s under 18), would have to give permission. Even in the workplace, an employer can’t notify co-workers unless the employee gives his or her approval. That’s one reason nursing homes, daycares and meat processors have such rapid spread. It’s why health departments are so general with their numbers.
Regardless, how long do you think it will stay private if the player is held out of one or more games? People talk, especially kids.

Last edited:
In order for anyone to be notified of a positive test, the player (or his parents, if he’s under 18), would have to give permission. Even in the workplace, an employer can’t notify co-workers unless the employee gives his or her approval. That’s one reason nursing homes, daycares and meat processors have such rapid spread. It’s why health departments are so general with their numbers.
Regardless, how long do you think it will stay private if the player is held out of one or more games? People talk, especially kids.

So you are saying if the university tells someone they were exposed they have to divulge who the infected person is. It must be different in the workplace where I live - where I work they tell you you were exposed but not the who the person that was infected is and then you go home for a week and the infected person goes home. And people do talk but as long as they don't give a name how is HIPPA being violated? Under those rules at a minimum the team wouldn't be able to play their next game...

Not saying that at all. Just the opposite.
The point is that if the person has to sit and then the team is told someone tested positive, it’s the same as identifying the person.
If people are applying HIPPAA correctly, the employer may acknowledge a positive test, but not what department or section of the workplace. Nothing that would identify the person without their permission. Even the contact tracing investigators can only ask who the person has exposed. Many won’t identify the people they come into contact with.

Thats inaccurate. You can notify co workers that a person has tested positive. You cant mention their names. States( Virginia) are now passing laws that require you to notify everyone in the workplace in 24 hours once you are notified of a positive test.

Thats inaccurate. You can notify co workers that a person has tested positive. You cant mention their names. States( Virginia) are now passing laws that require you to notify everyone in the workplace in 24 hours once you are notified of a positive test.
You and I are saying the same thing. You can’t divulge anything that would identify them, though the individual can agree to have it divulged.

Not saying that at all. Just the opposite.
The point is that if the person has to sit and then the team is told someone tested positive, it’s the same as identifying the person.
If people are applying HIPPAA correctly, the employer may acknowledge a positive test, but not what department or section of the workplace. Nothing that would identify the person without their permission. Even the contact tracing investigators can only ask who the person has exposed. Many won’t identify the people they come into contact with.
But in general if a player tests positives there would be 4-5 that are probably going to be quarried for a timeframe so honestly no one has exposed the positive test... I work in a small office where we had a positive test and were told the last day that employee worked.. But there are at least 3 employees who have been out since the positive test came back so we weren’t actually told who was the positive test.

HS football season will not happen. Heck, even the college football season and NFL are not going to happen. Look at what's happening with MLB at the moment, and soon the NBA. Players are opting out left and right, entire teams are being quarantined with the result being games cancelled. We can all want normalcy and we do, but it's not going to be 'normal' anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT