ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Final 1a West playoff projection

bulldog nation2014

Feb 21, 2014
UPDATED AGAIN!!!! (2/17/15) Let me know how this looks. Other than the coin flips I think we are close still a lot of movement will happen.

Here is my final projection. Plenty of movement still can happen especially with coin flips. But can still be a fun conversation piece with potential matchups. With this layout who do you have?

1A West State Playoffs

1 seeds:

1.) Hiwassee Dam (22-0)

2.) Elkin 20-2 (coin flip)

3.) Gray Stone (20-2) (Coin Flip)

4.) Winston Salem Prep (20-2) (Coin Flip)

5.) South Davidson (20-2) (Coin Flip)

6.) Cherokee (18-4)

7.) Lincoln Charter (14-8)

8.) Avery 13-11

2 Seeds: (9-14)

9.) Community School of Davidson (18-4)

10.) Chatham Central (17-5)

11.) Robbinsville (16-5) (coin Flip)

12.) Atkins (16-5) (coin flip)

13.) Albemarle (12-10)

14.) Highlands (6-16)

Wildcards 3 Seeds: (16-20)

15.) Mount Airy (18-4)

16.) East Wilkes (14-8)

17.) Andrews (11-10)

18.) West Montgomery (12-6)

19.) South Stanly (11-11) (Coin Flip)

20.) Swain County (11-11) (coin flip)

Wildcards(21-32)

21.) Rosman (14-8)

22.) North Stanly (12-9)

23.) Chatham Charter (12-10)

24.) Highland tech (11-11) (Coin Flip)

25.) Bishop (11-11) (coin flip)

26.) Pine Lake Prep (11-11) (coin Flip)

27.) East Surry (10-12)

28.) Mitchell (9-13)

29.) North Moore (8-14)

30.) Blue Ridge (6-13)

31.) Murphy (8-14)

32.) Hayesville (7-16)

Section 1:

1.) Hiwassee Dam vs 32.) Hayesville

16.) East Wilkes vs 17.) Andrews

8.) Avery vs. 25.) Bishop

9.) Community School Davidson vs 24.) Highland Tech

Section 2:

5.) South Davidson vs 28.) Mitchell

12.) Atkins vs. 21) Rosman

13) Albemarle vs 20.) Swain

4.) Winston Salem Prep vs 29.) North Moore

Section 3:

3.) Graystone vs 30.) Blue Ridge

14.) Highlands vs 19.) South Stanly

6.) Cherokee vs 27.) East Surry

11.) Robbinsville vs 22.) North Stanly

Section 4:

7.) Lincoln Charter vs 26.) Pine Lake Prep

10.) Chatham Central vs 23.) Chatham Charter

15.) Mount Airy vs 18.) West Mont

2.) Elkin vs 31.) Murphy

Last edited:
The main thing that sticks out to me is Hiwassee Dam with the #1 overall seed. Regardless of how truly strong HD is, that is an absolutely grueling road trip for most any team. I can easily see them taking on Mount Airy, Bishop, and Atkins/WS Prep in succession. Do they have what it takes to run the Northwest gauntlet? Will HD have a large home-court advantage?

Then, in section 2, you have the looming WS Prep/Atkins meetup in the third round. This is the worst case scenario for Prep. Atkins only lost the last game with Prep by one point. I feel they match up very well. I think Atkins will beat South Davidson. SD's got a few good players but, overall, I don't think they're strong enough to take out any of the 1A "elite". WS Prep will have a fairly tough challenge with East Wilkes in the second round but I'm not confident that East is strong enough to beat them.

Section 3 is interesting. Does Albemarle have what it takes to knock off West Montgomery and Gray Stone back-to-back? On the other side, I'm not sure Cherokee easily gets past Robbinsville. Those two teams know each other like the back of their hand. If Cherokee survives Robbinsville, you could have an interesting contrast of styles between them and GSD (or an intriguing rematch with Albemarle....or trying to stop Melanie Horne and W Montgomery).

I can see Elkin coming out of Section 4 easily. That is a great draw for them.

But, like you have mentioned before, the long and windy road runs through Hiwassee Dam.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
The main thing that sticks out to me is Hiwassee Dam with the #1 overall seed. Regardless of how truly strong HD is, that is an absolutely grueling road trip for most any team. I can easily see them taking on Mount Airy, Bishop, and Atkins/WS Prep in succession. Do they have what it takes to run the Northwest gauntlet? Will HD have a large home-court advantage?

Then, in section 2, you have the looming WS Prep/Atkins meetup in the third round. This is the worst case scenario for Prep. Atkins only lost the last game with Prep by one point. I feel they match up very well. I think Atkins will beat South Davidson. SD's got a few good players but, overall, I don't think they're strong enough to take out any of the 1A "elite". WS Prep will have a fairly tough challenge with East Wilkes in the second round but I'm not confident that East is strong enough to beat them.

Section 3 is interesting. Does Albemarle have what it takes to knock off West Montgomery and Gray Stone back-to-back? On the other side, I'm not sure Cherokee easily gets past Robbinsville. Those two teams know each other like the back of their hand. If Cherokee survives Robbinsville, you could have an interesting contrast of styles between them and GSD (or an intriguing rematch with Albemarle....or trying to stop Melanie Horne and W Montgomery).

I can see Elkin coming out of Section 4 easily. That is a great draw for them.

But, like you have mentioned before, the long and windy road runs through Hiwassee Dam.

All great points. After watching HD last season I was overly impressed with them against Prep. They seem just as strong this season. I read the other night they hit 21 3's in a game and broke the NCHSAA record. I think I'm going to stick with them. That MA and HD game would be fun to watch I think with shooters on both sides.

Prep is the obvious favorite but like you said Atkins is a strong opponent and Bishop is no pushover.

Albemarle is young but very talented if they get consistent they are dangerous they will return 9 from this team.

GSD is solid they will not beat themselves and have plenty of size and play tough defense. They have gotten better as the season has went.

West mont is solid they played Alb earlier and was down by 30 at the end of 3. Alb had a starter hurt and starters pretty much sat after that. West mont is a team that you have to respect most definitely.

I don't think SD beats prep or Atkins but I think Bishop this year is a possibility. SD has some good seniors and just plays solid. That would be an interesting matchup but I think MA would get them.

I don't think elkin would get challenged until they get out of their section.

Don't think Robbinsville is any match for Cherokee. They lost in the first round of the SMC. Tournament!

Reactions: lad0215
Robbinsville is no match for Cherokee this year. Cherokee surprised a lot of people this year by how good they are for a very young team, only three seniors on the entire team and only two of them are starters. I don't think we get as far as past years in the playoffs but things definitely look good for years to come

All this could change because with 4 teams tie with a 20-2 record. Prep could get the 2 seed. Also East Wilkes will go in as a three seed. Thanks to the new update rule from the NCHSAA
c) A team that is second in a split conference must finish second in the overall conference standings to be seeded second. If the second team in a split conference finishes in third place in the overall conference standings, it will be seeded third. (Revised)

All this could change because with 4 teams tie with a 20-2 record. Prep could get the 2 seed. Also East Wilkes will go in as a three seed. Thanks to the new update rule from the NCHSAA
c) A team that is second in a split conference must finish second in the overall conference standings to be seeded second. If the second team in a split conference finishes in third place in the overall conference standings, it will be seeded third. (Revised)

It will change lol. Chatham central and south Davidson are tied. If CC wins that tie breaker it will move SD to the 2nd seeds then CC to the 1's and you have the coin flip for the remaining tie breaker.

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan

A SD loss would move Chatham to a 6 and Cherokee to a 5.

Just checking wouldn't the three seeds in conference be ahead of wildcards?

Ok so projections would be off because there are no 3 seeds in projection. Right?

Ok so projections would be off because there are no 3 seeds in projection. Right?[/QUOTE
MT Airy would through South Stanley will be 3 seeds and are list as 15-20 . Plus I know Mitchell will make it as a wild card with a 9-13 record

Swain I think is ahead of Rosman and Andrews as a 3 seed in their conference

Swain will be 10-12 they just look at 22 game record. Yes the 3 seeds are included and I may have overlooked Rosman/andrews. As I am updated of errors I'm trying to update.

Prep is probably the favorite but having a small bench could get them come playoffs...only 2 reserves and they don't have a JV program to draw from...

Good Job bulldog nation2014 I have made some adjustments
Section 1:

1.) Hiwassee Dam vs 32.) Walkertown

16.) West Mont vs 17.) East Wilkes

9.) Community School Davidson vs 24.) Andrews

Section 2:

5.) South Davidson vs 28.) East Surry

12.) Robinsville vs. 21) Rosman

13) Albemarle vs 20.) Blue Ridge

4.) Winston Salem Prep vs 29.) Mitchell

Section 3:

3.) Graystone vs 30.) North Moore

6.) Cherokee vs 27.) Mountain Island Charter

11.) Atkins vs 22.) North Stanly

Section 4:

7.) Lincoln Charter vs 26.) Pine Lake Pep

2.) Elkin vs 31.) Hayesville

The teams that are bold have advancing till the third round. I Still think that Prep will be the team to beat.If they have to travel to HD that will be a great game If the brackets play out like this I think all 4 of the top teams out of the Northwest could advance to the sweet sixteen.

Good Job bulldog nation2014 I have made some adjustments
Section 1:

1.) Hiwassee Dam vs 32.) Walkertown

16.) West Mont vs 17.) East Wilkes

9.) Community School Davidson vs 24.) Andrews

Section 2:

5.) South Davidson vs 28.) East Surry

12.) Robinsville vs. 21) Rosman

13) Albemarle vs 20.) Blue Ridge

4.) Winston Salem Prep vs 29.) Mitchell

Section 3:

3.) Graystone vs 30.) North Moore

6.) Cherokee vs 27.) Mountain Island Charter

11.) Atkins vs 22.) North Stanly

Section 4:

7.) Lincoln Charter vs 26.) Pine Lake Pep

2.) Elkin vs 31.) Hayesville

The teams that are bold have advancing till the third round. I Still think that Prep will be the team to beat.If they have to travel to HD that will be a great game If the brackets play out like this I think all 4 of the top teams out of the Northwest could advance to the sweet sixteen.

You think Cherokee will beat Atkins?

Maybe it will be at Cherokee with SMC officials of course if Chatham Central wins their conference that would change things with them bump up Cherokee up to 5 so it will be interesting

They use the Asheville association instead of the SMC refs--a lot of the SMC gets on them for it out of one side of their mouth, while complaining about SMC refs out of the other.

As of right now you have the 2-5 that will be decided by a coin flip. Albemarle beat CC last year in the first rd by 32 I believe. I think the final was 74-42 and they beat SD by 5 last season both CC and SD returned everyone if I'm not mistaken. I think I would fear SD more with just having to play them once. But the coach for Chatham is very good so when you have to play him multiple times that's when it gets tough. I will say this it will not surprise me for CC to win the tie breaker.

I'm not sure if cherokee is ready for the big time yet. They are very young but shoot very well on some nights so they could be dangerous. You guys don't have swain who is the 3rd seed from smc

I'm not sure if cherokee is ready for the big time yet. They are very young but shoot very well on some nights so they could be dangerous. You guys don't have swain who is the 3rd seed from smc
Whats there record? That's swain county correct? And we are with you there Braves, Albemarle is in the exact same boat.

I just updated again I think we are getting as close as possible without the coin flips. If this somewhat plays out we could be seeing 11 teams involved in a coin flip. I love this time of year lol.

You got Hayesville playing in Section 1 and Section 4.

So it looks like MA beat Atkins tonight if MA beats Prep they would move to the #2 seed out of that conference. And the drama continues..... LOL. This has to be one of the toughest years I have seen to predict. Usually you have some movement but this is crazy. You also have South Davidson and Chatham Central playing in the championship which will be the tie breaker so you could see Chatham with a win moving into the 1 seed, which will shake up things as well.

MA girls with a win tomorrow will be looking at a couple of home games in playoffs....MA boys with a win could very well be #1 seed in West...stay tuned

Yessir you are correct. This is a great year with all the movement it should be a great playoff. Good luck to all teams. We will know on Saturday how the matchups play out.

So it looks like MA beat Atkins tonight if MA beats Prep they would move to the #2 seed out of that conference. And the drama continues..... LOL. This has to be one of the toughest years I have seen to predict. Usually you have some movement but this is crazy. You also have South Davidson and Chatham Central playing in the championship which will be the tie breaker so you could see Chatham with a win moving into the 1 seed, which will shake up things as well.

I'm wondering if we're starting to see some cracks in the proverbial armor with Prep & Atkins, who are the RUNAWAY favorites to win the title. MA beat Atkins and Bishop pushed Prep REALLY hard before running out of steam late.

Door might be open a sliver for someone else to win it.

this is it for Prep girls...only 2 returning and there's too many programs that have made strides over the past few years...Atkins has some decent players returning but also lose a lot...MA returns all but Shelton and Bledsoe...will be interesting but that's next year....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT