ADVERTISEMENT

Field Conditions in February

Emmasdaddy1

Sep 18, 2019
Just got to thinking about this. Grass will be dormant at best, freezing and thawing ground. Its not gonna take long to tear that sod up and become a bowl if its not froze solid.....

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
It depends a lot on the precipitation deal as well. 2019/20 didn't do a darn thing in the winter but I got a feeling 2020/21 will be a revenge year for that. But on the bright side the past decade and change it's fizzled out by the end of February and things start to slowly warm up baring freak deals (we got 5 inches of snow on Final 4 Saturday in 2018.) I think by the start of the season it will be fine. Temps will start to rise and by April it won't be so cold. The wind will be a pain though.

Ice storms worry me more than snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Just got to thinking about this. Grass will be dormant at best, freezing and thawing ground. Its not gonna take long to tear that sod up and become a bowl if its not froze solid.....

Break out the winter Rye. It'll help hold the field together and stay green throughout. Overseed 2 to 3 times as thick as you would usually do in winter.

Break out the winter Rye. It'll help hold the field together and stay green throughout. Overseed 2 to 3 times as thick as you would usually do in winter.
Not a bad idea! Works well in pastures!

Several high schools have bermuda and both rye sewn into baseball and softball fields. Wonder why they don't do football fields as well? Wonder if it has something to do with the transition of field in fall months altering playability. Or maybe playing football could stunt the growth of the rye.

It depends a lot on the precipitation deal as well. 2019/20 didn't do a darn thing in the winter but I got a feeling 2020/21 will be a revenge year for that. But on the bright side the past decade and change it's fizzled out by the end of February and things start to slowly warm up baring freak deals (we got 5 inches of snow on Final 4 Saturday in 2018.) I think by the start of the season it will be fine. Temps will start to rise and by April it won't be so cold. The wind will be a pain though.

Ice storms worry me more than snow.

It’s at least 400 k
Thomasville received two estimates in the last ten years. Both were right at $1 million. Still a significant amount each year for maintenance. A lot of it comes down to where you are and how many activities use the field.
The city of Thomasville owns Cushwa Stadium and invested $37 thousand last year for maintenance. It’s only used for a couple of youth league games per year for the city, and middle school, jv and varsity football. This year, the city schools are paying $15k for rental. previous years, they paid less than $1000 annually.
You do the math. It’s simply not doable for Thomasville, especially since East Davidson is also in the city limits and provides its own facility.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Thomasville received two estimates in the last ten years. Both were right at $1 million. Still a significant amount each year for maintenance. A lot of it comes down to where you are and how many activities use the field.
The city of Thomasville owns Cushwa Stadium and invested $37 thousand last year for maintenance. It’s only used for a couple of youth league games per year for the city, and middle school, jv and varsity football. This year, the city schools are paying $15k for rental. previous years, they paid less than $1000 annually.
You do the math. It’s simply not doable for Thomasville, especially since East Davidson is also in the city limits and provides its own facility.

Then they need to look around. Saw on a field turf site the cost is $4.50 to $5.00 a square foot. A field is around 80,000 SQ ft. The cost of 400K is accurate.

Does that $400,000 include taking up the old grass, grading, and installation? A million might be steep but I'd say it will cost more than $400,000 when all the prep goes into things. Maybe someone from Avery can fill us in on their cost.

Every estimate I have ever heard is in the $1 million range. Other than cost of the turf itself, the whole field has to be regraded, Drainage has to be put in. If you are having multiple events on 1 field it is a great idea, but it is costly and will have to be replaced in 10 years or less

I believe it cost Kannapolis right at a million dollars to put theirs in.

Reactions: UNC91
If they tear up the field level and put in drainage 1 mill is close

With that said, once you do all that, you probably don't have to do it again when you replace the turf.

But still have to replace every 10-15 years plus add rubber pellets every couple years I'd assume.

Reactions: Mhsneer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT