ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite HS band competitions and favorite HS bands

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I posted something similar to this when I on CP. So who is your favorite HS bands you seen and what about your favorite band competitions you seen. I can name a few but seeing what others have to say.

I am at a different HS game every Friday night and a band certainly makes game day atmosphere much better. Last year the one game that stands out to me was Eden Morehead at Atkins. Game was awful, but both bands were fantastic. Morehead probably has around 75 members and Atkins probably had 100. Band competition all night long.

Not sure how good they are now, but Westover when they were in the old MSEC was outstanding. Hardly anyone on our side would leave during halftime when they would come to Richmond County, that is until our band took the field.

West Charlotte in the 90s was really, really good as well.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I know I’ve seen AL Brown‘s band back in the days. They were huge and they would spread throughout the whole FB field. They would play really well. Also Mooresville always seems to have a good band.

Mooresville - Always a Large band and Always a top band within NC

Carver - Very Flashy and Loud. Not the biggest band but they show out on Friday Night

West CLT : Similar to Carver and I love West Char. Uniforms

East Davidson has a very good marching band. Very committed group and a “cult-like” status when it comes to parental support.

As far as competitions, I’ve enjoyed Ledford, North Davidson, East Rowan, East Surry, and South Caldwell over the years.

Davidson County does a very nice showcase on a weekday night in the early fall, in which they invite all the schools in the county, including the two city schools. $5 to get in I think and all proceeds go to the arts programs in Davidson County. Lexington and Thomasville haven’t shown up much as of late, but maybe they’ll come back in the years to come.

Mooresville - Always a Large band and Always a top band within NC

Carver - Very Flashy and Loud. Not the biggest band but they show out on Friday Night

West CLT : Similar to Carver and I love West Char. Uniforms

Carver was a BIG deal back in the old days. I saw them in action when they came to Oak Grove two seasons ago. First, they were 30 minutes late to the game. Secondly, they were tiny and way too quiet. Thirdly, the shining star in the group was an 8 year old who brought his own snare drum.

I sat near two Oak Grove parents who were Carver graduates. They sat there with their jaws wide open in disbelief of what that band has been reduced to.

Carver was a BIG deal back in the old days. I saw them in action when they came to Oak Grove two seasons ago. First, they were 30 minutes late to the game. Secondly, they were tiny and way too quiet. Thirdly, the shining star in the group was an 8 year old who brought his own snare drum.

I sat near two Oak Grove parents who were Carver graduates. They sat there with their jaws wide open in disbelief of what that band has been reduced to.
As I said in another post several months ago Carver football is a shell of itself. Sadly the band and the fans in attendance is also. I was at at Carver game last year, which had 18 players and about 20 band members. Along with about 20 fans in the stands.

I truly hope that Coach Griffin can bring back some of the glory, because an electric crowd with their band at a Carver football game is very exciting.

Changing the topic a little bit... I don’t even mind if the band isn’t all that good... If they’re having a good time, I’m liable to still enjoy it.

North Rowan had a MONSTER sized band a few decades ago. Huge! Well, no longer.
But a few years ago they put together a show with what was obviously a tiny budget and very little volunteer help. It had something to do with Super Mario Brothers and the “Tsunami of Sound”. I can assure you... there was little more than a ripple.. no Tsunami to be seen. But the kids had fun, the crowd was into it.
So what if they really stunk it up? I haven’t seen them much in the last couple of years. I hope they are growing.

I have been told by several that the expenses to be in a band is significant. That is some of the reason for smaller bands. Anyone on here that has direct knowledge of the cost if any for band members?

I have been told by several that the expenses to be in a band is significant. That is some of the reason for smaller bands. Anyone on here that has direct knowledge of the cost if any for band members?

That is a very good question. Most of the bands here in Davidson County require a pretty hefty “band fee”. Marching band is about $250 for the season. If you use a school-owned instrument, its $25-$50 additional dollars usually. Color Guard has expenses above that (because most band directors farm out that particular skill to someone with more of a dance background)

BUT.. . It can get more expensive than that. The “big leagues” of high school marching bands is call BOA, or Bands of America. It is a completely different level. Huge budgets, and likewise, huge band dues. NW Guilford is a BOA band. They Probably run about $250,000 thru their band boosters each year for props, travels, uniform stuff... etc etc. They use multiple 18 wheelers to get their stuff to a competition.

For a moderately large sized band, it is pretty common for a band of 100 to Have a 50,000-75,000 budget per year. Music. Someone has to design the actual marching drill. Activity bus mileage. Paying folks to drive because they sometimes need more buses than band teachers. It was fascinating to learn about it when my kid spent a few years in marching band.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Carver could easily get back on track. I think it starts with the community pride.

Dudley
Carver
Andrews
Northern Guilford
Western Alamance

Carver could easily get back on track. I think it starts with the community pride.

Dudley
Carver
Andrews
Northern Guilford
Western Alamance

I agree with you. Community Pride is a huge factor. BUT... with a school system that provides a way to go to schools outside your assigned feeder pattern.. that’s hard to do anymore. But it could happen if all the stars align.

I agree with you. Community Pride is a huge factor. BUT... with a school system that provides a way to go to schools outside your assigned feeder pattern.. that’s hard to do anymore. But it could happen if all the stars align.

Carver is a strong program. If some of these athletes want to make this a string program then it can be done. A lot needs to be fixed, but no way they should be this bad! My hope is if Cummings and carver could come back. I think hpa could come back sooner than those teams though

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Carver's days as the #1 dog are over.. there's too many teams on the rise in that area. Carver #2.. I mean Walkertown's open down the road, then you got Prep who's a solid small 1A program with an ACC player, then East who are champions.. who would want to go to Carver now?

If they would drop to 1A they would be maybe a solid 5-7 win team every year. Their depth and interest rate just isn't good.. Soccer for them last year had kids out and was more competitive.. says a lot about the culture.

Last edited:

They didn't make it to our game at home in 2018 until 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and they barely played any music. They gave up after halftime. I was glad because their band drives me nuts every year.. but on the downside their sorry excuse of a box coach ranted and cursed at everyone from their players to us in the booth the entire night. Couldn't even enjoy that game.

They had maybe 20 kids in it last year; they were enjoyable to watch at halftime due to their lack of size. Everyone had to do more but it made for a less chaotic show. They didn't even have the kid last year though. They had maybe 30 fans due to the hall of fame ceremony. They all left once it was done.

Carver's days as the #1 dog are over.. there's too many teams on the rise in that area. Carver #2.. I mean Walkertown's open down the road, then you got Prep who's a solid small 1A program with an ACC player, then East who are champions.. who would want to go to Carver now?

If they would drop to 1A they would be maybe a solid 5-7 win team every year. Their depth and interest rate just isn't good.. Soccer for them last year had kids out and was more competitive.. says a lot about the culture.

carver has a good tradition. I’ve been to several games before. It can happen, it’s a tough sell. All it takes is some parents and kids wanting to rebuild the tradition.

Union Pines (alma mater and former band member)
Pinecrest (gotta give the other Moore County high schools props)
North Moore (same as Pinecrest)
Hoke County
Dudley
Westover
E.E. Smith
Rocky Mount

Scotland’s band is slept on as well, if we’re going the traditional route.

I like their traditional style. I’m rarely down that way. I’ve only seen them once a few years ago when North Davidson played down there. It’s a cool vibe all around down there... the Gaelic in the end zones.. I like it.

Reactions: UNCGrad2014
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT