ADVERTISEMENT

Fall 2021 Favorites

Who will be Tarboro non conference match ups beside Southwest Edgecombe?
I’m not sure about this year. Normally we play Washington, Northern Nash, and North Edgecombe....We may be playing Rocky Mount this year too because the schools agreed on a 2-game series and the 2nd game didn’t happen last year because of the Coco

I also heard Washington is taking us off the schedule - but I don’t know how true that is.

We play Rocky Mount, Hertford County, TTAC and North. Northern Nash and Washington elected to not continue the series.
I hate to hear that about Northern Nash because they had a good team this past season. Plus that's always a very physical matchup. Excited about Hertford county though.

I've never understood the point of the Tarboro Washington series. I'd rather Tarboro play Havelock or New Bern or DH Conley or JH Rose personally.

Those 4 don't want to take the risk of toting a butt whipping from a 1A school.

Havelock and New Bern are decent hauls. Not cheap to run 2 or 3 buses 70 to 100 miles away.

Guess they’re tired of getting beat up on by a little ‘ole 1A team.
Mount Airy and East Surry have in the mid to high 20s low 30s on varsity football players most years. I just looked at Tarboro 2020-2021 and how many does Tarboro has on average annually. I counted I think 44 this year and in the 20s JV.

Last edited:
Those 4 don't want to take the risk of toting a butt whipping from a 1A school.

Havelock and New Bern are decent hauls. Not cheap to run 2 or 3 buses 70 to 100 miles away.
Yeah I see your point. I am surprised that we can't get DH Conley or West craven though. Tarboro has scrimmaged DH Conley the last couple of years before covid hit.

The Tarboro JV being 1-3 was a perfect storm of sorts. We had a low number of kids turn out due to COVID and then we had injuries to key players which also lowered the number. Factor in lack of time for instruction/coaching and working out due to COVID restrictions/precautions and the kids simply were not where they usually are. Let me add that I am fully aware all schools had to deal with the COVID issues so that is nothing unique to THS. The players that moved up for the playoffs performed very well in the 3 blow out wins in the playoffs, so I dont think they were as "bad" as the 1-3 record may lead one to believe. All that said, the Varsity does have to replace a LOT of players, so we will have to wait and see. My hope is that a COVID free off season will lead to bigger number of kids coming out and most importantly to a full off season workout and coaching program. If we can get those things, then I am optimistic.

Eastern Randolph down here in 1a land after being a 3AA power 15 years ago. Crazy how the admissions change around over the years. Then again if you combined two schools back together they'd probably still be there.

Same thing with Carver. When I was in school we had all of Walkertown and most kids on the eastern side of Winston Salem with little over 1k students as a 3A. Now my Yellow Jackets are 1A after Aikens, and Walkertown were built.

Reactions: msgtcody
Thomasville has been competing in a 10 team 2A league with 45 kids that has produced three finals appearances and a state Champion the last four years. The Dogs lost some close games to those teams going 8-4, 8-4, 3-3 the last three seasons. The Dogs were conference Champs in 2015 beating N Rowan and Salisbury to win the league title at the 2A level. They have an excellent coaching staff and a better group of athletes than the 2015 team with more size up front. If they can play N Davidson, Ledford, Salisbury, and Oak Grove tight (beating a few of those schools along the way) then 1A will be good to them.

ER has been a really good team in 2A as well and went pretty deep this year and have a few major recruits coming back so they will be very strong as well on 1A. Athletically they will give some teams a very hard time and are well coached. Heritage is a strong program coming down and will be hard to beat as well. With the lines supposedly drawn I see the West being the strongest side, but Tarboro will remain the team to beat overall (IMO). Add in the traditionally strong 1A teams and it will be fun to watch come playoff time.

Going to be fun competing against Salisbury and and North Rowan for the Conference. Need to get back to playing better in post season. Looks like we could be possibly face ER, MA and some other mountain teams.

I can remember you all winning a 3a title in 2002, also, we (tarboro) played against you guys in 2010. You all had a great team that year. Was an awesome game that went down to the wire

Yeah that team was huge, college size o and d-lines, beat Wilson Fike for the title. If I wasn't gaining my weight back from Chemotherapy probably would have tried out for the team at WR. Same for Tarboro, you guys had Todd Gurley that year, nothing was stopping that Vikings team. Like to see Thomasville, Tarboro, and hopefully Carver meet up at some point.

Your good I see misspelled words a lot and I do it also. Sorry I ask, I don't usually pay any attention to miss spelled words and usually know what they mean. I was just wondering if it was a non-football school.
NP, think there is another Atkins school in NC or similar name. It can be confusing, just like with Andrews, and T.W. Andrews😁

The Tarboro JV being 1-3 was a perfect storm of sorts. We had a low number of kids turn out due to COVID and then we had injuries to key players which also lowered the number. Factor in lack of time for instruction/coaching and working out due to COVID restrictions/precautions and the kids simply were not where they usually are. Let me add that I am fully aware all schools had to deal with the COVID issues so that is nothing unique to THS. The players that moved up for the playoffs performed very well in the 3 blow out wins in the playoffs, so I dont think they were as "bad" as the 1-3 record may lead one to believe. All that said, the Varsity does have to replace a LOT of players, so we will have to wait and see. My hope is that a COVID free off season will lead to bigger number of kids coming out and most importantly to a full off season workout and coaching program. If we can get those things, then I am optimistic.
Not to mention two of those losses were pretty close games. We lost in triple overtime to northeastern and then we lost by 8 to rosewood.

Reactions: vikewuf1
? For Tarboro. Will Bertie be in your Conference? That is another program that use to be real good. They won the 3A State Title in 1995 and 2000.

Robbinsville season in jeopardy before it even starts..one surgery after another ...season ending surgeries..hard to believe some of the injuries some of these kids tried to play with in the playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT