ADVERTISEMENT

Elkin job open

Seems like Elkin and Starmount used to both be at the Top of 1a. Both fell off. But it seems to have affected Elkin worse. What happened?

If I remember correctly elkin was around 450.
Cherokee around 425

Not a bit suprised, he didn't really seem like himself when we scrimmaged in August. I guess he just changed his tune. Granted reading the Tribune article mentioning him not being there to coach vs East Wilkes really opened my eyes then, I called he wouldn't make it past this year at that point. Big ? is is he retiring or just stepped down?

Be intresting to see where they go. In house they got 2 guys I think could do a good job. AD for them Pardue was HC at Walkertown and won a Northwest title there when they were 1A, and also did a solid job at Starmount as DC. If he takes it I think that would catch some of the kids eye who chose other schools over Elkin. There is also Cory Rycroft who I think will probably end up getting it, he was the interim HC that night when they beat East Wilkes and he called the offense, he did an excellent job from the NFHS feed I watched and it seemed like they had extra pep that night. Might be enough to do the trick for them. He was on Grissom's early title teams and has been on the staff forever. He'd provide continuity yet would be entirely different.

It won't be an overnight sucess job but if whoever gets it can keep the seniors and JV kids focused they could have a winning year next year perhaps. Senior class has some good players in it and the JV team had their best season since that covid senior class. They aren't as talented but they have way more heart than that team did, their #'s just wasn't great last year. Wood told us they had to practice the JV's vs the varsity to get a look due to not enough kids being out. That's the main issue the new HC has to deal with, numbers have been down since covid. These groups in their younger days struggled to even field middle school teams, and with apathy it's not been fun for the Elks.

In the Northwest where everything is topsy turvy after MA and Starmount I think with no injuries and the right luck they can be neck and neck with EW for 3rd next year if it goes right. It'll all depend on the hire though. The wrong pick and it could get bad for them in a hurry.

I believe Wood was sick that week he missed the game, so don't think that had anything to do with it.

The writing has been on the wall for some time though I think.

I'm not sure it stays in house.

However it goes I hope Elkin goes forward and is successful. But know this, EVERYBODY AT MT AIRY is under a rolling 10 year Contract with no buyout.

Who would be a good list of Candiates for the Elkin job? Maybe, a top assistant from MT Airy, Starmount, East Surry or any Coaches on Elkin Staff that would be qualified to be a HC. Anybody have a list?

Reactions: buzzcoach
Kelly Holder
Trent Lowman
Logan Holder currently on Davie County Staff. Would be ready to become a HC?

Kelly Holder
Trent Lowman
Logan Holder currently on Davie County Staff. Would be ready to become a HC?
Kelly Holder is under a 10 year contract with Mt Airy, I am pretty sure. Trent Lowman has a very good program opportunity right where he is.
Logan Holder might be ready in that he spent a lot of meaningful time at Mt Airy with the duo of JK Adkins and his Father.

I think Tyler Robbins will get the job. He’s been calling the defense for Elkin last couple of years. Their defense wasn’t bad this past year.

I don't know if there is any truth to that, but Starmount is in a way much better situation to win than Elkin is currently and in the next few years.
I was just thinking most of these single systems can get much more creative with pay than large system’s. I think they can pay 12 month pay. I know for a fact Forsyth, Guilford and Davidson county doesn’t do it.

I was just thinking most of these single systems can get much more creative with pay than large system’s. I think they can pay 12 month pay. I know for a fact Forsyth, Guilford and Davidson county doesn’t do it.
City school systems usually have funds from a local supplemental tax with a good deal of latitude on how it’s spent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT