ADVERTISEMENT

ECC basketball

Tiger_Pride31

Sep 27, 2008
Last night I was excited to watch my JK tigers play basketball. It turned out to be the most pathetic thing i've ever witnessed! To watch the girls team just fall all over the floor etc get beat by 30+, then watch the boys get blown out by 40+, also allowing 1A Princeton to score over a 100 pts in the game with 8 players some JV because their football team is still playing! Just Pathetic!!Both head coaches deserve to be fired!!! To watch that BS, don't care what anyone says they need to be FIRED!!!

Furious_Styles doesn't care about facts. He just trolls and tries to promote an agenda. I'm a Clinton fan, but now have two young family members playing for JK girls, one of which is my granddaughter, so I have a rooting interest for sure, I admit. I was at the games and not only is he being unfair to both JK teams, who are young, but he's being disrespectful of your Bulldogs. JK girls started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores and had 4 of each dressed out the other night and were without their point guard. If Furious was a real fan, he would cheer how hard they competed against your girls, who brought pretty much every player back from a team that made 3rd round of playoffs last year, from what one of your parents told me. Because of my family playing there now, I know a lot more about the girl's situation than the boys, and have met and talked with the coach. They're not just young on varsity, but have also started a jv this year, so that future looks bright. Talking with some of the boosters the other night, they are excited about those young ones and I'm excited about my granddaughters growth already. I did tell them my rooting interests won't change on the other sports. Lol. Dark Horses all the way. That said, the Tiger boys do look to have some growing pains. And both of your Bulldog teams were very impressive. I expect there will be deep playoff runs for both of them this year.

Last edited:
Furious_Styles doesn't care about facts. He just trolls and tries to promote an agenda. I'm a Clinton fan, but now have two young family members playing for JK girls, one of which is my granddaughter, so I have a rooting interest for sure, I admit. I was at the games and not only is he being unfair to both JK teams, who are young, but he's being disrespectful of your Bulldogs. JK girls started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores and had 4 of each dressed out the other night and were without their point guard. If Furious was a real fan, he would cheer how hard they competed against your girls, who brought pretty much every player back from a team that made 3rd round of playoffs last year, from what one of your parents told me. Because of my family playing there now, I know a lot more about the girl's situation than the boys, and have met and talked with the coach. They're not just young on varsity, but have also started a jv this year, so that future looks bright. Talking with some of the boosters the other night, they are excited about those young ones and I'm excited about my granddaughters growth already. I did tell them my rooting interests won't change on the other sports. Lol. Dark Horses all the way. That said, the Tiger boys do look to have some growing pains. And both of your Bulldog teams were very impressive. I expect there will be deep playoff runs for both of them this year.
Your young one's may play but I would hope you'd want better for them. I've been around the program for years and have watched the development! And none of the kids have been developed since the current coach took over ( girls or boys )! Far as the point guard missing you speak of, I hope you're not talking about Williams on the girls she's definitely not a point guard! Avent is the actual point guard ( she's the only player that goes all out ) but coach didn't watch her fouls so she fouled out early in the 3rd!

You so called speak of youth but there's also upper classmen on the team he's had since being freshmen/sophomores that play the exact same way now as then! Princeton may be decent but if you were truly a basketball student you would see we had 20 plus turnovers( bad passes ), made 1 pass and take a long shot for misses and no hustle! All that was coaching, I'm an Alumni and trust and believe very respected! And all the alumni I speak to want a change because we're tired of being a laughing stock!

if you'd like to speak ( not on a negative/ attitude ) on it I will at the next game as usual watching and studying.

I hear your frustration, but you're wrong about the upperclassmen thing. Out of the 5 upperclassmen that dressed out the other night, only one of them was on the team before last year and that's the Hill girl that only played half of last year for medical reasons. And she's just coming back from surgery. So, no, there aren't any upperclassmen on the team who have ever been contributors and 3 of them were playing their first high school game ever. Unfortunately, at JK right now for boys and girls in any sport, there really isn't much junior and senior talent. They will go and grow with those freshmen and sophomores and that's going to mean some up and down moments. I don't know if you saw them during their preseason games, but they looked pretty good against some 3A and 4A squads and won. I think there were a lot of first game jitters, too. I actually asked him after the game about the Avent girl going back in at the end of the third, because I wondered about that too. Said yes, he knew she had 4 and sat her for a couple minutes, but took a calculated risk to finish the third strong and keep the game at 10 or 12 heading in to the 4th. Said he felt that last 2 minutes or so was crucial, but it didn't work. I coached before and been in those moments where you decide it's now or never, so that made perfect sense. Perhaps you should actually talk to these guys sometimes and get to know them. I don't know about the boys coach, but the girls coach has always been cordial and loves talking hoops. Maybe it's because I am a former coach, but I know the kids don't always do what we want them to do out there. But, I have friends whose kids worked with this coach and have played, or are now playing, at the next level and they give him a lot of that credit. The young ones y'all have now are going to be a good group. This is only the beginning of his third year and they've gotten younger and more potential talent pretty fast. Now, you just gotta be patient. What would your feeling be if they got this young group back in the playoffs this year? Just curious?

McCaster hid a lot of problems for JK last year (I told you that was coming) Everyone who saw JK play knew this years team would have to remake itself to be competitive. It'll be interesting to see if they get better as the year goes on. As far as gauging your team based on "1A Princeton" that's a bad idea. Coach Cobb is one of the best coaches around and he has a lot of returning talent to work with. That team will easily win 20 games, and if their conference schedule doesn't bore them they will make a long run in the playoffs.

Hats off to Coach Melvin last night! He came in with an effective game plan and we were lucky to come away with the win.
I agree. I thought both JK teams looked much improved last night. The girls game was tight throughout with Princeton gradually upping the lead to eight. Last 2 minutes, JK had to start fouling and Bulldog girls were nailing those ft's. Boys game was competitive and fun to watch from beginning to end. JK just needed a couple more plays. A lot of improvement from game 1.

Clinton boys off to a slow start after winning their first game vs Lakewood have dropped 4 in a row...still trying to work the football guys in that came in late so hopefully some improvement after the holiday break....outside of the Cape Fear game all others have been close.Clinton boys will host JK Friday evening should be a good one important conference game for both teams

Yeah, I expect the boys to look a little better now that they should have their basketball legs under them. Girls just finished playing some tough bigger schools in Christmas tourney, so they should be ready for conference. Heard both Clinton and JK girls are dealing with injuries and sickness, so that could be interesting. How does the rest of the conference look for boys and girls? Who looks like the team to beat this year?

Clinton boys and girls both open up conference play with wins over JK...girls win 64-48 boys win 69-45

At this point i would say Goldsboro is the favorite on the boys side......on the girls side looks like Midway,East Duplin and possibly Clinton challenging for the top spots

Yeah, the boys looked better tonight. Looked like they had their legs under them a little more. I think you're right about Goldsboro on the boys side. I would guess East Duplin is the favorite on the girls side. I think you're right about midway and our girls being in the mix, also. JK girls might still be too young this year to challenge for the top couple spots. But tonight's game was close the whole way until their foul trouble got them. I think our Clinton boys could be in the mix for that second spot if they keep working. Gotta see how they look in the next few games though, because JK boys looked like they've gone backwards since i saw them last month.

Clinton boys lost in OT to Northside 62-57 fall to 2-5(1-0) both girls and will be at Wallace Wednesday

Both Clinton boys/girls picked up victories over Wallace 71-59 and 80-38 respectively. Teams will play host to Spring Creek tonight

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
Both Clinton teams picked up wins again tonight hosting Spring Creek....Girls won 79-36 while boys won 55-43....Clinton girls record now stands at 8-4(3-0) boys 4-5(3-0). Teams will be in action again in a rival game hosting Midway Tuesday.Go Horses

Both Clinton teams picked up wins again tonight hosting Spring Creek....Girls won 79-36 while boys won 55-43....Clinton girls record now stands at 8-4(3-0) boys 4-5(3-0). Teams will be in action again in a rival game hosting Midway Tuesday.Go Horses
Looks like the boys from the football team are finally getting their basketball legs.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Clinton boys and girls victorious once again in rivalry game against cross county foe Midway.Clinton girls win 64-56 Boys won 80-48

Both teams seem to be rolling pretty good right now. And yeah, those football players have got their basketball legs under them now

Big game Friday on the boys side as 5-5(4-0) Clinton travels to take on 11-2(4-0) Goldsboro. Goldsboro at the moment seems to be top dog this will be a huge test for Clinton boys who seem to be turning it around after a slow start to the season. Goldsboro's 2 loses came from Southern Wayne which looked like the final of a NBA game 101-95 and a overtime loss to perennial power Kinston in overtime

Girls imporve to 10-4 with a victory over Goldsboro Friday boys drop 2 tough ones to Goldsboro and East Wake(Saturday BSN classic) to fall to 5-7

Big time match up on girls side in progress as Clinton and East Duplin girls battle for number one spot in conference both teams 5-0 going into this game.....going into the 4th Clinton girls trail 46-41

I was in Goldsboro all day, so ended up at the JK/ Goldsboro games tonight. Heard there were some rowdy ED fans ejected tonight. What was that all about? JK boys nearly knocked off Goldsboro tonight btw, losing by 2. Girls game was JK winning 55-45.

Yea, they were rowdy, Mr.Spell didn't like that a LADY was too loud in the stands and asked her to be removed by the police, what a joke? What's his position there anyway?

Yea, they were rowdy, Mr.Spell didn't like that a LADY was too loud in the stands and asked her to be removed by the police, what a joke? What's his position there anyway?

Athletic Director so he was well within his authority to ask that unruly fan to leave especially if its causing a disturbance to other spectators trying to enjoy the game

Last edited:
If the ED guy who sat behind the Clinton bench got a dollar for every time he yelled “home cooking” he’d be a millionaire. Now, that’s a joke.

Some nights you don’t don’t like refs, but they don’t miss your shots, miss your free throws, turn the ball over and over again.

At end of the day it’s up to the players to make shots, defend, etc.

If refs cause you to lose by 13, you weren’t gonna win anyway.

If the ED guy who sat behind the Clinton bench got a dollar for every time he yelled “home cooking” he’d be a millionaire. Now, that’s a joke.

Some nights you don’t don’t like refs, but they don’t miss your shots, miss your free throws, turn the ball over and over again.

At end of the day it’s up to the players to make shots, defend, etc.

If refs cause you to lose by 13, you weren’t gonna win anyway.

This is very true....i remember a playoff game from 2017 i believe against Fairmont we end up winning the game by like 30-40 points and afterwards Fairmont fans yelling about officiating....you lost by 30+ im sorry fellas that didnt have *&^%$ to do with the refs

On a lighter note man if that middle school team stays together and continues to grow basketball wise they are going to be hell to deal with the next 4 years.....62-19 over Midway yesterday still undefeated....and i understand all the hype around Landon Pearson but Broderick "BJ" Bennett #23 can ball that kid is going to be really special.Seen him play on the AAU circuit humble kid great athlete just sad he got turned off of football

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, there has always been at least 1 or 2 loud and unruly ED fans, even when I was in school in the early 90s. And their voices are amplified in our small gym.

Clinton's Mikayla Boykin has hit her stride at Duke had a excellent game last night went 5-5 from 3 point line. Hope and pray she finally has that injury bug behind her

Both teams were in action again last night taking a break from conference play we hosted Lakewood. Both teams were victorious girls won 53-42 improving to 11-5(5-1) boy won 67-40 improve to 7-7(5-1). Horses will be in action again Tuesday at Spring Creek

For real!!!! The only spectator she was disturbing apparently was him.

I known the man since i was in school if he asked her to leave it was within reason. Great Coach,teacher and now Athletic Director. Jeff Sawvel would of done the same. Great guys but they aint taking no BS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT