ADVERTISEMENT

East Wilkes 46 - Surry Central 13

Realfreedom

Sep 7, 2004
King
Surry Central started the game off by fumbling the kick off inside their own 10 yard line. East converted a 4th and goal from the 2 to take a 7 - 0 lead. The next position East's D forced a punt. The snap was a bad one and the punter went to one knee to gather the ball. That allowed East great field position and East went up 14 - 0. It is great to see that East can kick a field goal this year.

Surry Central put together a good drive to bring the score to 14 - 6, then the rest of the half belonged to East. East led 26 - 6 at halftime after a great touchdown drive with around 1 minute to play in the 1st half. 2 minute drill ran to perfection.

In the 2nd half East took the opening drive down the field and went up 33 - 6. Surry Central responded with a long drive only to fumble the ball around the 10 yard line on a great hit. East put another couple of drives together to go up 46 - 6, before Surry Central put together a midway through the 4th quarter drive to provide the final score of 46 - 13.

Surry Central does have some good athletes, but right now they just make too many mistakes. I really enjoyed the halftime ceremony when SC recognized their state championship team from 1965.

East has looked really good the first two weeks, although some will say it is because of who they have played in South Stokes and SC. We will know more as the season goes on. The biggest thing tonight was they cut the turnovers down and both games they have been able to stay away from the penalty bug.

East has enough guy's to keep everyone fresh and it is showing on the field. They also have more speed than a normal Cardinal team. Looks like it is going to be a fun year. Take this week off and continue to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slasher Killer
I agree it's still early but East is having the start they need. With the bye week hopefully they will stay healthy.

They have a tough test in North Stokes coming up, they have won 2-0 and have life again. They could very well go 3-0 if they beat South Stokes. Then it's Forbush. They will be tested the next two games.

Come conference time I see East surprising some folks.

I think the big test for East is when they have a 3 week stretch against Ashe, Starmount and Wilkes Central. North Stokes is 2-0 but that is against Alleghany (looking like the Trojans are taking a step back this season) and South Davidson - always a terrible team. East Wilkes could well go into that tough 3 week stretch 7-0.

North Stokes regardless of who they have played will be a test for East because they are big in size and are hot at the moment. South and Central were all about tricking you and lulling you to sleep plus they are in rough spots record wise and North's just straight forward they intend to hit you in the mouth and drive down the field. East hasn't faced that kind of team yet. Plus they have some big ol' boys on the line. They have an OT who is 6 foot 5 and 300+, he runs over people. If East doesn't prep well and play their hardest then it will be rough for them. Same for Forbush too. They are well coached and don't hide what they do.

As for that three week stretch I agree with you on that. Ashe and Starmount are still ? marks but Wilkes Central has looked good so far. Ashe and Starmount will tell more about theirselves once they get off their byes.

Points well taken regarding Forbush and N. Stokes. But at least East Wilkes has an extra week to get ready for the Vikings. Not that you can do all that much to prepare for size and brute strength. I think East just needs to keep their focus and understand they have a chance at a good season. They have started out quickly before only to fade as the season wears on. I think Starmount will figure things out as they most always do and Ashe will have more depth than East Wilkes as will Wilkes Central - just due to bigger numbers at both schools. It would be nice to see the Cardinals put together a strong season. If the injury bug doesn't bite the the kids stay on task I think they can do that.

Numbers do not seem to be a factor this year for the Cards. They have almost 40 on varsity and over 45 on JV. They had at least 60 kids combined to participate in the off season training program. For the time being the numbers issue is taken care of, hopefully injuries will stay away.

It is an interesting point about a power team and how the Cards will handle that. The Cards seem to have more speed than normal this year. The defense swarms to the ball with all 11 guys. I do think the place to go against them is up the middle, however if teams catch the corners and safeties looking in the back field they can be beat throwing the ball. So far teams have not been able to make much hay on the edge. South Stokes had speed but East did a good job containing that speed.

I know Ashe is 0 - 2, but I do think they will be a factor. Starmount has lost too two good teams, but they have looked really bad in doing so. Wilkes Central has looked good and they should be in the mix. I am enjoying Elkins struggles, although they did play a good half against North Surry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT