ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry - Seth Keener

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
It’s downtime in the 1a football forums and I see topics across the board. I can’t believe the East Surry faithful isn’t talking about Seth Keener - Wake Forrest star pitcher and projected high MLB draft pick. Wake Forest ranked number 1 in the nation with a pitching rotation that could possibly see 3 first round draft picks. Kid never got no press in Pilot mountain and the storied east surry baseball program. Boaz kids were always getting the press ( much deserved) as both are great athletes in their own right. Keener was always in the shadows. Never stopped believing, working and improving. Could end up being the greatest athlete The cards have ever produced in all sports and possibly the greatest in the area for that matter. He is projected to start in the ACC championship game if the deacs make it to Sunday and will play a huge part in a national championship run. Hats off to tge Keener family, lots of sacrifices there for the kids and the success couldn’t have came to a better family. Good luck this weekend Seth and the deacs as a whole as they embark on a historical national championship run!!!

Possibly 3 first round picks this year. Keener could slip to the 2nd round. Hadn’t been on in awhile , couldn’t believe I didn’t see any talk on here from the east Surry faithful. Usually they are loud and proud with their student athletes in which they should be. Keener is dirty on the hill averaging 95 plus on his fastball and dropping off to the 50 to 55 range with his off speed pitches . DIRTY!!! That 3 man punch wake has is crazy good. Hartle is projecting at 11 overall last I checked , manzinni mid 1st and keener late first early second round. Pretty dog gone cool stuff . All home grown and two 1a prodigy’s . Is there anyone else out of pilot baseball program has the success keener has had? I know east is a legacy baseball program and just wondering.

Wake Forest has just won a national championship in women's golf and like to see Wake baseball play for a championship. Yes Josh Hartle lives in King and has one more year at Wake. I think he went to Reagan to play against Better competition 4@. Hartle was leading the ACC in strikeouts and Keener had the lowest era not sure about recent games. I hadn't heard anything about Keener either until recently he's awesome pitcher and should be recognized. Rhett Lowder was second in the ACC in strikeouts and he's a junior. First round draft pick for sure

Reactions: Maiden Creek
It’s downtime in the 1a football forums and I see topics across the board. I can’t believe the East Surry faithful isn’t talking about Seth Keener - Wake Forrest star pitcher and projected high MLB draft pick. Wake Forest ranked number 1 in the nation with a pitching rotation that could possibly see 3 first round draft picks. Kid never got no press in Pilot mountain and the storied east surry baseball program. Boaz kids were always getting the press ( much deserved) as both are great athletes in their own right. Keener was always in the shadows. Never stopped believing, working and improving. Could end up being the greatest athlete The cards have ever produced in all sports and possibly the greatest in the area for that matter. He is projected to start in the ACC championship game if the deacs make it to Sunday and will play a huge part in a national championship run. Hats off to tge Keener family, lots of sacrifices there for the kids and the success couldn’t have came to a better family. Good luck this weekend Seth and the deacs as a whole as they embark on a historical national championship run!!!
Think it's fantastic and you're right about certain people getting all the press. Although I think your mistaken about the best athlete we've ever had. He didn't play football although his brother did this past year. He plays baseball dude. He's not the best athlete we've ever had.

Wake Forest has just won a national championship in women's golf and like to see Wake baseball play for a championship. Yes Josh Hartle lives in King and has one more year at Wake. I think he went to Reagan to play against Better competition 4@. Hartle was leading the ACC in strikeouts and Keener had the lowest era not sure about recent games. I hadn't heard anything about Keener either until recently he's awesome pitcher and should be recognized. Rhett Lowder was second in the ACC in strikeouts and he's a junior. First round draft pick for sure

Hartle is only a sophomore. Lowder was pitcher of the year in the ACC.

That 3 man punch by Wake right now is nasty. All 3 NC guys. Hartle from Reagan and is billed from King and Hartle from North Stanly. Hartle and Keenor both played 1A ball in their time. Amazing.
yeah during that time 1a had some dang good arms...I havent seen any 1a baseball this year but keep up with prep baseball etc and I havent heard of any good arms in 1a this year. have you?

I’ve watched a lot of east surry sports over the last 20 years. Even coached my kid to a state championship , a runner up , three conference championships , two regional championships, two western regional player of the year and 3 time all state selection. Win / loss record she probably ranks up right there in that conversation at east, only played 3 years, set out junior year and played throughout the southeast . But im
Extremely honest and humble saying that those accomplishments don’t remotely resemble a resume that keener is putting together. If it holds true on Sunday and wake plays for an ACC championship you will see keener on the mound for the start . His draft stock is rising by the day from what im hearing. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. There isn’t any other athlete I’m aware of at east that I remember with the credentials keener has . Like it or not. To me to see a kid like that , that was caught up in daddy ball politics and never got the recognition, the opportunity that the other kids got , kept working his tail off , parents kept there nose to the grindstone and never stop believing in their kid through all that. The mental fortitude that kid had and has to keep working and improving to reach for his dream is inspiring. I’m real close to the family and on fire for this conversation roughtrader if you wanna have it

I’ve watched a lot of east surry sports over the last 20 years. Even coached my kid to a state championship , a runner up , three conference championships , two regional championships, two western regional player of the year and 3 time all state selection. Win / loss record she probably ranks up right there in that conversation at east, only played 3 years, set out junior year and played throughout the southeast . But im
Extremely honest and humble saying that those accomplishments don’t remotely resemble a resume that keener is putting together. If it holds true on Sunday and wake plays for an ACC championship you will see keener on the mound for the start . His draft stock is rising by the day from what im hearing. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. There isn’t any other athlete I’m aware of at east that I remember with the credentials keener has . Like it or not. To me to see a kid like that , that was caught up in daddy ball politics and never got the recognition, the opportunity that the other kids got , kept working his tail off , parents kept there nose to the grindstone and never stop believing in their kid through all that. The mental fortitude that kid had and has to keep working and improving to reach for his dream is inspiring. I’m real close to the family and on fire for this conversation roughtrader if you wanna have it
are you saying he was overlooked because of daddy ball?

Reactions: gdawg74
I think Wake coaching staff has to get a lot of credit. Lowder has picked up 10 mph of his fastball since highschool and Hartle has made big improvement and throwing more pitches and the same thing can be said for Keener.

Conner that covers Wake and Duke sports said they were fortunate to get all this talent at Wake. With COVID he said the minor leagues were flooded with players and were fortunate to get Hartle and others. If Keener gets to major leagues I'd say best to come out of East Surry

What conversation would that be I didn't say he wasn't a great baseball player. I'm no fun of Daddy Ball either. But you said he's the best athlete to come from East Surrey. And I said there's no way that he is. He played baseball. You can say whatever you want. But there's been maybe 50 better athletes than him when they were at East. That's what I said. If you want to have the conversation about something that's personal and dear to your heart. And you're so close to his family. That sounds a little bit like daddy ball to me. I simply said he's a baseball player. He didn't play football. His brother did and was a damn good one. But he did not. So I don't qualify or I don't think he qualifies as the best athlete or one of the best athletes to come out of East. You want to argue that then go ahead. If your butt's hurt, then that's a different story.

And you must be talking about tennis. Although I hope you're not.

I am , an athlete is an athlete no matter if it’s on the football field, the tennis court , the baseball field , the softball field or on the golf course. To date / 20 plus years tell me an athlete that has competed at the level Keener has ? I must ask why would you hope I wouldn’t be talking about tennis? Dude that grammar is horrendous, I can’t hardly type a response without laughing a little bit. Kinda embarrassing that I’m engaging on this level 😂😂😂😂. So you are saying that a football player is a greater athlete than a baseball player, a wrestler, or a tennis player or basketball player? That makes me laugh a little more.

I am , an athlete is an athlete no matter if it’s on the football field, the tennis court , the baseball field , the softball field or on the golf course. To date / 20 plus years tell me an athlete that has competed at the level Keener has ? I must ask why would you hope I wouldn’t be talking about tennis? Dude that grammar is horrendous, I can’t hardly type a response without laughing a little bit. Kinda embarrassing that I’m engaging on this level 😂😂😂😂. So you are saying that a football player is a greater athlete than a baseball player, a wrestler, or a tennis player or basketball player? That makes me laugh a little more.
I'm saying the basketball players in football players are generally better athletes. You want to make a list of the top 100 athletes. Go ahead I'll challenge you to find anyone that's not in those two categories. It's not just running straight. It's not just doing that and this. Frankly baseball doesn't even get into the conversation with tennis. I just think I know who you are Martin. My buddys daughter whipped yours in tennis pretty regular. Just like the person who worries about grammar. They think the baseball players the athlete. Now keener he's a good baseball player and a pretty good athlete. But your words were hey he's the best athlete to ever come out of East. There's a boy playing at UNC Charlotte right now That's a much better athlete than him. Understand my drift? So all you're probably smarter than I am. And I know that you're superior. When it comes to athletic ability your statements wrong. That's what I said. Just because you're so smart and superior you know. Grammar-wise. Us country folks we know what it looks like. You practice medicine. We practice working all day. Everyone's good at their own sport. But your words were the best athlete to come out of East. That's laughable. One hell of a baseball player. One hell of an athlete. But by far not the best one from even our little high school. Now you might be the number one jackass. But that's a different story.

I’m not Martin I’m Greg , I don’t practice medicine I build buildings BIG BUILDINGS, I do talk a lot of smack and most in the communities of Mt Airy and Pilot would agree with that davie county as well. My daughter is Megan Shelton. She didn’t play her junior year as she was playing out of the randy pate tennis academy and competing with their team across the southeast. There wasn’t anyone in this area or this state or even the surrounding states. that was whipping my daughter on a regular basis. Look her up, the keyboard could lie and the dad could be boasting (me) but im sure you will see her resume of accomplishments won’t lie.As a matter of fact I retired from coaching way back in 2009 ( UNDEFEATED) . Kinda an inside joke. You will understand when you read the story in the Raleigh observer from her state championship run. I have also worked with several of the East Surry / surrounding area kids on the wrestling mat. Not just worked with but trained with them. You can ask them if I understand the term athlete or strength. I’m sure they would reiterate that I have a full understanding of the term. Do your due diligence and look it up, pretty cool stuff. See the reason you wouldn’t know that is there isn’t any banners , there isn’t any signage. That’s reserved for football and basketball I’m told. See now you know who I am. I don’t have to hide behind a keyboard and make outlandish statements with extremely bad grammar. I’m also friends with the Wilson family that you refer to at Charlotte. Actually really good friends. I think they would agree with all that is said . An Athlete is an Athlete. Bottom line. The Acc is the ACC with 5 top 25 teams in it. 2 in the top 10. It’s not the junior college realm, it’s not the d2 realm it’s not the tier 2 of d1 realm . It’s one of the elite baseball conferences in the nation. Be proud of the kid , be proud of all those athletes. Be thankful we are engaging in fodder about a along list of athletes. Because each one played at the next level and got educations that most family’s couldn’t afford. I know my family couldn’t. It’s pretty cool stuff . I will be there at the game Saturday and Sunday to watch the deacs , look me up . We will watch the game together. By the way Keener is a psychology major. Grades are good. So the most important part is taken care of to , just in case the dream Doesn’t work out.

Last edited:
Keener had a good career at East Surry (pretty sure he was a conference Player of the Year), but to say he got no press is a little misleading. He was a 2020 grad and was robbed of his senior year. Like it or not, football gets more press than baseball and the 2019 ES football team won a state title, which will get you a ton of press coverage. The ES baseball team had a legit shot at doing the same before Covid cancelled their 2020 season. What he’s doing with the Wake team is amazing though - I don’t think people around here (the entire state, not just Surry County) realize how special this Wake baseball run actually is. Wishing him the best in the coming weeks with Wake and later this summer in the MLB draft.

I can agree with all those statements NWWatchdog. I will say he never got the press like the kid that went to ecu or the kid that currently plays at uncc. But that’s ok. He’s getting it now. Just got word that keener will be the hill tonight at 7 for the start. The weekend weather is dictating the change. I love this story as I am close to the family and the story that goes along with it. East Surry is a storied baseball program so a lot of great players have came and gone. So quite a honor if this kid holds up to what seems like his future has in store for him. To be 30 minutes down the road and the local kids on the pitching staff and how they projected in the draft vs the local press they are getting is kinda embarrassing. This is a very special group of deacs for sure , could make history. Now for a little banter, a little fodder watchdog . Who is the only undefeated coach in the history of east surry sports. Although it was extremely short lived , never publicized, and by freak accident? I had to get that out there cause it is funny 😄 and quite honestly by pure chance. This guy coached a DOMINATE one sport , one on one ATHLETE. When I say dominate I mean could have won it with one arm behind her back and a twisted ankle. Most all would agree especially the ones that would swing by the court and watch her play.. I have to say I’m laughing a little bit about that and it is just a fun comment and no bolstering either. It just makes me laugh a little, well alot to be honest. Much respect for your post on here as for the most part they are usually fact filled and a good read. Even the ones we go at each other on

What’s wrong rough trader ? Cat got Yhea tongue? No comments? I mean you know who I am now, most all people do ( lmbo ). That’s around here I mean. I tried to practice medicine one time when cut my hand really bad. Tried using superglue and a little kerosene. Didn’t work out , had go get plenty of stitches. So I gave up the medical field , and went back to building big ole buildings and became a keyboard cowboy. So there Yhea have it , didn’t even have to assume, just had to ask. Lol.

Oh now that you're boasting in a smart-ass and everyone knows who you are that's great. We actually know each other pretty well. But I've only come on the scene about 4 years ago. Although I did go to school here. Where did your daughter play college at. I apologize that I thought you were someone else. Although I was right about the bird part. Did she play in college for a division 1 school? Because you know one a tennis is fantastic.

Oblige me sir if you are someone I know and know quite well. She ended up at Pfeiffer. She had a lot of d2 offers and some tier two d1 offers. As dominant as she was she wasn’t tier 1 D1 talent. I am humble enough to say it. She actually played number two there behind a Russian kid. Seth keener is that kind of talent and he’s showing it on the mound right now against Notre Dame.. I’m interested to know who you are, do you still wear your letterman’s jacket while setting in your underroos typing on Ncpreps at 1:20am in the morning? I seen you posted at 120 am. Are you really on the scene or just pretending to be on the scene? If I do indeed know you I am embarrassed. Maybe my youngest daughter who wasn’t an athlete ( well tried , bless her heart ) majored in elementary education can help you with your grammar skills. Are you really ROUGH and what do you trade? You called me a Smartass but never considered myself that smart. But I do imagine if you know me you know that I might not take too kindly to that if you and I were sitting here together watching the game together. Be careful on that keyboard there cowboy, it might just throw you off if you ain’t careful. If you know me quite well , I think you understand

Last edited:
I will be your daisy, You just have to oblige. I love surprises. Potbelly, (lol) you must not know me as well as you think. Is that big ole building on the scene or off the scene? Are we gonna be on the scene when you surprise me?

Last edited:
Keener had 13 strikeouts in 7 innings yesterday. He had control of all his pitches.
Little better than his outing at in the ACC tourney. Great recovery game. He was nasty yesterday. This post was filled with fodder , but the intent is as always to reflect on the success of local talent doing well and the sacrifices that parents have to make to get their kids to the next level. No matter what level that is. Good luck to all the local guys chasing a title and all the teams representing our great state of North Carolina

Last edited:
Not a good outing yesterday. Hate it for him. Might cost Wake the CWS. Got to go up against best pitcher in the nation tonight

Wake hadn’t hit the ball since they got to Omaha. Lot more wrong last night besides pitching. LSU is a great team, Keener is a great pitcher. Cost them the CWS? I would say keener played a big role in helping them get there as well. Hard to hang a loss on one guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT