ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry football field named

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005

A
s reported by East Surry Athletics twitter account.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ES_Athletics
(link: https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsurrycountyschools%2Fposts%2F1676112742478396&width=500)

The Surry County Board of Education has chosen to name the East Surry football stadium in honor of David Diamont for his great service to our community as a teacher and coach! Congratulations Coach Diamont! (link: https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsurrycountyschools%2Fposts%2F1676112742478396&width=500) facebook.c

Reactions: Bearfan71
As Coach faces the Home stands to be honored with the naming of the Stadium in his name the visitor’s fans will note the hole in the back of his shirt from the backstabbing moves by parents and a principal that is preparing to retire. Disgusting.

btango said said it best !

The problem with what Btango said is, he’s incorrect. Was the way he was fired wrong? Possibly, it didn’t need to take as long as it did. Did the principal fire him? a principal can hardly ever fire someone, it always comes from the superintendent and school board who make ALL the decisions, and this one is on them. The county had been handling this one for quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3daughters
In a one high school LEA I would expect the school board and superintendent to more than likely be the determining factor. In a multi (high) school system and a principal that has been in authority positions in the system with a lot of years that principal normally has much more autonomy. A principal with strength does not get kicked in the balls like this whether they physically have any or not.

I always try to get my info from head coaches. If this one is wrong so be it but I know why he did not make a bigger stink and the announcement supports his reasoning.

ncball is totally speculating and is completely wrong in their assumptions. One group of adults in Pilot Mountain are solely responsible for the wrongful termination of one of the greatest coaches and mentors this state has ever seen. btango is 100% correct...Follow The Money!!!

The problem with what Btango said is, he’s incorrect. Was the way he was fired wrong? Possibly, it didn’t need to take as long as it did. Did the principal fire him? a principal can hardly ever fire someone, it always comes from the superintendent and school board who make ALL the decisions, and this one is on them. The county had been handling this one for quite some time.

So you think Coach Diamont's firing is justified? Wow...oh wow.

I would hate to be the next coach. Sounds like he will be coached his self by where the money source come from . Now I am totally speculating . LOL

Last edited:
How close is this ? They called Dave to the office and gave him a choice of being fired or take retirement and having the stadium named after him ? Again speculating .
The decision of him not being Coach was months ago. Some parents wanted CHANGE. The delay for letting him know is very interesting. (which I know a lot about but I will not post it)

"It didn't need to take as long as it did"? It seems like you know information like I do but are against Coach Diamont through your posts... interesting. It's all about relationships. Who you know is more important than what you know. And a new generation of people (with money who make promises and athletic school funding plus multiple other areas of the Pilot Mountain community) have overtaken Pilot Mountain and it's sickening. People on the School Board are friends with people that I'm talking about. You can't hide. Sorry.

Dave was 9 wins from 300 wins. I think that was his goal and he would have retired on his own after that. Again speculating and a shame he did not get that 300th win !

Dave was 9 wins from 300 wins. I think that was his goal and he would have retired on his own after that. Again speculating and a shame he did not get that 300th win !
That's exactly right, and he mentioned that in the office as they explained to him he is done and they would not give him that opportunity (imagine whatever you have to I'm not saying anything). So he was the bigger man, like he has always been as a coach, and "retired".

Isn't this a slap in the face? He's not good enough to continue coaching, but good enough to have the stadium named after him? If you name a stadium after somebody, shouldn't that person be the one that tells the school when he is done? If I was in his shoes, I know what I would have told them.

It is nothing more than the school and the county trying to save face. They know they screwed up and were bribed into making a bonehead decision. Coach Diamont is way to big of a human being to tell them no, just like he is letting them push their story that he retired. Anyone who thinks otherwise, has no clue what they are talking about.

FYI: Coach Diamont started his coaching career( as an assistant) back in 1968 at Mt Airy...team won Western 3A State title....on Sunday Coach Diamont, his fellow coaches and the team were inducted into the greater MA sports hall of Fame class of 2018; congrats!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT