ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry at Mt Airy - Net broadcast

Without #21 they are a .500 football team. He makes that much of a difference on both sides of the ball.

East I honestly thought should have have been the 1 seed in the West they are that good. With Donovan out and Smith sub par as well as East Surry stopping MA in their territory every possession, they set the tone.

Good Luck in the Western Finals against Starmount...

Bears definitely hampered by missing Greene. Smith ran well at times, but was clearly hurting at other times. No matter how you spin it, Donovan doesn’t make up 40 points difference in the outcome! The Cards played more physical and definitely deserved the win tonight.

Reactions: mbdfan
I can't believe with all the running clock second halves Mt Airy has had they are this beat up. Swain must have layed the wood last week.

Wow. I’m not here to pile it on. But I can tell you from my years of experience in the SMC that it is physically demanding on HS boys to play a multiple physical games in a row. To our level of physicality. It takes a toll on 1a teams especially. MA did not sub much during our game until the very end. I will admit I did not see this score coming.

Wow. I’m not here to pile it on. But I can tell you from my years of experience in the SMC that it is physically demanding on HS boys to play a multiple physical games in a row. To our level of physicality. It takes a toll on 1a teams especially. MA did not sub much during our game until the very end. I will admit I did not see this score coming.
I did knowing who was missing.

Guess all the bleacher and computer chair QBs can sit and talk now about how they wouldn't have let East Surry score 40 points tonight and how they could have called a game better than people with years of quality coaching experience.

Is East Surry that good or does #21 and #6 mean that much to MA?

He is excellent until the BIG GAMES..its 40 -0..dude
East is great.. DUDE... It was 7-0 at halftime.. MA has lost 0 games all year.. They have had an overachieving QB as a Sophomore who's done phenomenal this year with phenomenal skill athletes. You go from a Coach running the Triple Option with 160 pound lineman and winning games at East Wilkes! To the same guy coming into the environment as he was expected to run a spread and please whoever was involved in hiring and MADE to run the same Offense..

Reactions: NWWatchdog
At least we haven't heard the injury excuse blame it on the coach though.
And running up the score is a load of garbage ES could’ve scored 50+ tonight could’ve been worse stop complaining you got beat badly accept it and move on.
East will dominate MA for the next few years talent seems to fall off at MA compared to what ES has returning

Let's see if East can handle the beast from the east now I don't think so maybe next year then we rule again

Okay I’m not taking nothing from East Surry tonight.
Them boys come out and played lights out. Good win for them.
Now here comes my take on the coaching.
Who made the decision to keep #6 & # 21 playing some big secret? The whole week of there playing, not playing was a joke. I even called Buzzcoach about this.
Second I may have been the only person on NCPreps to brag about the OC Shane Compton about a month ago.
Tonight I say he has to go. A lot of us bleacher couches has talked about him.
The play calling tonight may have been the worst I have every seen at ANY level. And for HC & OC coach to stand around with there hands in there pockets kills me.
I don’t care what the score is, you coach them kids till it’s over.
As for #5 Greene getting penalty after penalty. Coach Compton was not doing his job. Greg was begging him all night to throw it to him. About all he would do is give him a little 3 yd pass.
So yea Greg was getting pissed.
Again congratulations to East Surry. They definitely deserved to win tonight.
I just feel like these coaches give up on our kids tonight.

Last edited:
What about Swain game with hardly no warm up time after the dang half . Probably had alot to do with injuries

Congrats to the cards , no excuses here. Not having 21 and a gimpy 6 done the bears in. They play both ways and it hurt on both sides of the ball. Poor execution on offense hurt pretty bad to. Cards caught the bears at the right time. I guess I have to agree and disagree with some previous post on this thread. First being to the Viking fan who asked if east Surry was that good or does 21 and 6 mean that much to Ma. Cards are real good and yes 21 and 6 do mean that much to the bears , one rushed for 1700 yards this year and the other caught over a thousand yards , the top two producers on offense and two top defensive players as well. Now with that being said it exposes the reality of 1a football in the west in the future verses a team like tarboro or Wallace rose hill or say a reidsville when they come down. You better start building depth at all positions, when two players go down for a team like happened to the bears tonight you want stand a chance against future 1aa elite teams. Tonight I hope showed that more than anything as the bears were hurt by it against a similarly talented team let alone a tarboro or wallace. Not having coach holder tonight hurt as well. It’s beyond me why you would want to run such a complex offense in 1a football. So many mistakes this season , so many audibles in the spread , maybe this year would have been the year to not change quite as much with the personal you had. Not a coach just saying. This team missed coach holder this year more than anything. Maybe the future holds a team that grows up in coach Atkins and coach Compton’s system and will excels in it . This was the team and talent to come in and let them do what they know. Next years team will be the first team in system, we will see how it goes. Good luck cards , you are a conference foe and bitter rivalry but this bear fan will be pulling for you next week to carry the conference banner to the ship

Last edited:
Is East Surry that good or does #21 and #6 mean that much to MA?
They are 2 of the 3 best players for MA (#5 is one of their best also). 21 is a 4* D1 prospect for a reason. ES spent a ton of energy containing him in game 1, which opened up more opportunities for 5 and 6 in the first game. 6 was the difference in game 1 - hard running RB with great speed. 6 played tonight but was clearly not 100% (maybe 60-70%). Strong runs at times, but would have to limp out after a few plays. Hats off to him on a gutsy effort...lots of heart just to do what he was able to do tonight. However, you have to also give credit to the ES defense. They forced numerous MA turnovers, had 2 fumble recoveries for TD’s. ES offense finally started to get going in the 3rd qtr after they were up 16-0. ES probably won’t be able to beat Tarboro if they can get past Starmount, but they are every bit as talented as anyone in the West.

Atkins will never replace Holder. He'll win enough through the regular season and when it really counts????????? ????????????????????????????????????

The coaches pour in hours upon hours every week coming up with what they believe will give them the best chance to win. Often times from the bleachers you don’t know the whole story. Y’alls fanbase is beyond spoiled if most everyone else around there is talking the same talk as what I’m seeing on here

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
He should have kept that Triple Option like he had at EW..He had plenty of athletes to spread the wealth at MA...MA just outscored everybody..but physical teams like East Surry and Starmount tend to give their defense fits!!

The coaches pour in hours upon hours every week coming up with what they believe will give them the best chance to win. Often times from the bleachers you don’t know the whole story. Y’alls fanbase is beyond spoiled if most everyone else around there is talking the same talk as what I’m seeing on here

I don't know what they are so spoiled about. They only have 1 state championship in modern times. You'd think they would have won multiple on the last few years the way some of them carry on. Mount Airy has had tons of success and has long been a standard for football in the NW part of the state. One bad playoff game with a new coaching staff and everyone is calling for heads. Give the guys some time to get their system built around the kids. It takes time and takes a good coach 3-4 years to really get their system going.

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan
I've noticed Mt Airy slide down hill since first game with east plus 3 week layoff didn't help I'm noticing our game playing level is declining big time this can not continue 40 to 0 get real in the red zone 3 times something went terrible wrong that was not Mt Airy Football no where near it

MA plays finesse football. ES played physical football. Those were the most prevalent intangibles that swung the win to ES side tonight. MA just wasn't tough enough tonight. They got down and it was deer in the headlights, then lambs to the slaughter!!

Thanx for the game explanation from Wilkes county hey I'm going to be nice I guess you will be pulling for the Cards next week then Tarboro week after that's wilkes county football

I was at the game Bearsfan. Did you see a different game than i did.? They were much more prepared and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more physical. Did you see something different? 40-0 says you saw the same game i witnessed albeit i witnessed it from the ES side. The same place I sat about 3 weeks ago when you guys barely beat them. I will more than likely be pulling for the Rams next week, since they are a fellow MVAC team..then for whoever comes out of the west the next week. You guys looked like a Wilkes County team tonight..maybe worse..since you're talking junk. I can admit Wilkes isn't a hotbed for football, but no one brags and belittles teams quite like a few Bears fans. Humble Pie should taste good in your mouth.

Last edited:
I bet you will be setting on Tarboro side in state championship game but I will agree with ya Adkins is a joke you was right we go 12 and 0 to get beat 40 to 0 he won't last long doing that here

I would be if MA was playing in it. Blame your fans. Always belittling other counties teams efforts! Respectfully, glad to see yall get taken to the Woodshed to deflate yall's heads just a little. Yall dont deserve adkins. Heck there wasn't 40 people left in the home stands with 5mn left.

I bet you will be setting on Tarboro side in state championship game but I will agree with ya Adkins is a joke you was right we go 12 and 0 to get beat 40 to 0 he won't last long doing that here

It's one game. Quit being a sour tart. What exactly did Holder do in the playoffs outside of his 1 state title? How many times did we hear how great Mount Airy was to only see them fluke out of the playoffs?

Well here we go ,excuses excuses ,East Surry beat Mt Airy first time they met,everyone saw that .Mt Airy fans should be feeling today ,all year long all you have heard is they are so great ,Mt Airy news blowing them up week after week .Didnt see all the news media praising this east team one bit all year .always about mt airy .Blowing up these write ups of a great qb you guys have ,where was he last nite ,he didn’t have anyone to throw to ,and he dang sure can’t run it .Friends the real 1 seed is and shoulda been East all year long.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Cards better team last night...given...Bears over last several weeks struggled with turnovers (close to a dozen) and the penalties were unreal....probably say good-bye to spread next season...not sure it fits the personnel...but we will see

Reactions: ESOD
Mt. Airy fans doing what Mt.Airy fans do....12-1 and want the coaches gone...embarrassing
3daughters losing a game is not near as bad, as watching the coaches stayed around with there hands in there pocket. And the play calling was something, an 8 yr old would do playing Madden.
I go to high school games to watch the kids play ball, win or lose. I never ones went to watch Kelly Holder coach a game or any other coach.
I’m all about the kids.
The most contagious thing in a kids life is attitude.
And last night, They produced the attitude shown to them.
Go Bears

He wasn't. He and a healthy #6 would have helped a lot, but MA wasn't prepared to beat ES. ES gained a lot of confidence as they should have won the 1st one at Mt.Airy against a healthy Bears squad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT