ADVERTISEMENT

East Montgomery

spudfour

Oct 20, 2007
A Facebook friend has posted that that Coach Collett has been fired at EM. She also said that a parent had made the comment that it was a done deal a month ago but he was told on Wed. Anybody know what's going on?

Seems to be a trend at that school. A family who thinks they have influence went after the previous coach and actually succeeded in getting him to resign. Now, it appears that people who have money believe that they are entitled to certain things. Combine that with an administrator who doesn't know a single thing about athletics, and you get a mediocre football program. There is ZERO emphasis on football at that school. The majority of the players have zero commitment to getting any better in the offseason. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to be named the HFC there. No structure for a football program with parents and administrators who refuse to support any coach that is there. When the soccer team has more players the first day of practice than the football team, you know you have a problem. Collett did what any coach with that support network could do: beat the teams they are supposed to beat, pull off an upset or two, and get destroyed by Albemarle and West. Not even Vince Lombardi will change those outcomes with the current administration and beliefs of parents.

No progam can be the best it can be if DADDY Ball is more important than putting the best at each spot. Thank God coach E at west does not do that even if others were thinking it at the first of the season. I can say our QB is not flashy as the past QB but in turn the balance has been better over all.

A heavy turnout for soccer is not surprising with the heavy Hispanic population on that side f the county. Not being racist just a realist.

You know some of your post has credibility but the majority of it is crap. I see no sign of anyone having money influencing any decisions on this coach being let go. I think it was more or less a collective amount of pressure from MANY people in this community that are tired of accepting mediocracy. Say what you like about kids not being commited in the offseason, but unless you are there day in and day out you cant make that call. I have seen the work ethic that the majority of these kids have. I have seen the freshman class work since they started playing flag football at 5 years old. I respectfully take exception to that comment because you don't know who has put in the work and who hasn't. EM is a far cry from where it once was under coach Daniels, but who is to say that cant change. With a strong leader in place a lot of things can change. It is my hope that EM finds a leader in there next coach.

Originally posted by EM91:

You know some of your post has credibility but the majority of it is crap. I see no sign of anyone having money influencing any decisions on this coach being let go. I think it was more or less a collective amount of pressure from MANY people in this community that are tired of accepting mediocracy. Say what you like about kids not being commited in the offseason, but unless you are there day in and day out you cant make that call. I have seen the work ethic that the majority of these kids have. I have seen the freshman class work since they started playing flag football at 5 years old. I respectfully take exception to that comment because you don't know who has put in the work and who hasn't. EM is a far cry from where it once was under coach Daniels, but who is to say that cant change. With a strong leader in place a lot of things can change. It is my hope that EM finds a leader in there next coach.
Zero discipline at that school. ZERO.... the soccer team, well, we all know about that. If ever there has been a school where the inmates are running the asylum east montgomery is a prime example. If parents there really cared about the success in and out of the classroom of their kids they'd move them out of that place. It's never been anything but trouble. It's a shame we can't trade Albemarle for East Montgomery and send them to Moore County!! Not too many people would miss them.

If you want a coach that does only what parents want then have fun being a stepping stone for the rest of the YVC. I bet NM coach is not that way that is why the players respect him. Coach D was a great one at WM and EM and he did not play DADDY ball winners never do.Coach D was a close friend of mind we hunted together and he coached myself and many others that will always respect him.

If you truly think the issues at EM are only tied to coaching, maybe you need to visit some offseason programs at other schools. If you truly feel that a few influential families aren't influencing the decisions at East, you need to wake up. Why did the previous coach resign? Do you know the truth? I doubt it because only a handful of people do. There is not that much of a talent difference between West and East. What is the difference? There is no dedication to football at EM, and hasn't been in a long time. Just four years ago EM had to borrow helmets from Trinity High School because the school had not purchased enough helmets to offset the number of helmets that were no longer allowed to be used due to safety rules. Coach Collett got the foundry involved in the program. Coach Collett raised the money to put new equipment in the weight room. Coach Collett got the school to fix the drain outside the weight room so it wouldn't flood anymore. With the dedication and resources this man had, he won quite a bit of games. If you truly think there is a climate of football at that school, talk to the players his first year that missed the beginning of practice the week of playoffs to run to McDonalds. Talk to the players who don't lift weights or work out until practice starts in August. There are a handful of players who are dedicated. However, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Take off your Eagle Blue glasses and look at the program for what it is. It is a program where 6 wins is the ceiling. No coach is going to change that outcome until the community, the administration, and the players become dedicated to the program. Dressing 21 players for a state playoff game is not going to get it done. That is on the players, not the coach.

FootBallFan you are exactly right. It takes more than a coach, it takes the entire community to support the program. Players have to put in the work in the off season.

Collettl was 13-11 in YVC play with one of the wins being a forfeit from Albemarle this year, so really 12-12. Overall he was 15-21with another forfeit from Kipp Academy in 2012

BD, those are some pretty harsh comments. What is the root of your hatred toward EM in general? 'Always nothing but trouble' comment is so off base and biased. EM is over 50 years old and you sum up their existence in a paragraph or two. Come on Man!! Every organization can improve, has problems, and deserves a chance to succeed. Why all the hate?

EM needs to take its time vet the candidates fully before handing the reigns over. Is there any proven coach out there who wants a challenge??? Well, EM will be a challenge but it's been done in other places. Right now EM has a team but desperately needs a PROGRAM. A full system approach where new HC can bring in some loyal assistants and instill discipline, accountability, & pride in a once proud program. And if you find that guy the step back and let him do his thing. Good luck Eagles.

I certainly agree with the fact that the entire community needs to be involved if this program is to be successful. But at the same time I think that EM needs a true leader as there next coach. A coach that kids respect and want to play for. That's the way Daniels was and everything else feel into place. There definetly needs to be changes in the administration as well.

Obviously Jerry Daniels had the best run of success at EM since the program started. Ted Harman is probably a close second. What was the difference when these two were coaching as opposed to now (other than record)? Was the community support better? Did the players do more skill and strength work in the offseason?

I think the answer is the community. Society is like this everywhere these days, but at a higher volume at East, parents ( more than not) think their children do no wrong. It is always someone else's fault. I played for Coaches Daniel , Martin , and Lynthacum. When we ( the athlete) got in trouble, it was our parents and the coaches on one side of the desk and the athlete on the other getting discipline . Now it's the parents and " little johnny" on one side of the desk arguing with the coach/ teacher/adminstration about discipline on the other. Tough to get respect and discipline as a coach , when there is no support from the home.

So what is the difference since the Coach Daniel days? Demographics of the community and school. Many of the families and players that were part of the glory years of EMHS football were employed by mills that are now closed. In the last 20 or so years the jobs on the eastern side of the county have moved out. There is no longer a Russell/ Pine Hosiery/ Montgomery Hosiery/ Springs/ or Clayson's. We can look at many causes for the backslide of a once proud program but this may be the biggest factor. Jerry Daniel had success at EMHS but he had some very good talent come through that school that I would say has not walked through those doors in a long time. I can also state with confidence that even during his years a summer workout program was not an option. There are a lot of questions and issues that need to be resolved before any coach has success at EMHS. As an alum I want the best for this program, but we must be realistic and see that this is tough job with no good jobs on that side of the county to employ parents.

East Montgomery has talent now, they just havent had anybody to bring it out of them! Colby Maynard in the WM Offense would be spectacular! Nathan Reynolds from last year would have been a college ready lineman! These are just 2 of many over the last few years that will possibly miss out on the next level because of coaching. There are sooo many more kids suffering! Im not trying to get a food drive organized or anything but Dang! When the kids are playing Hackysack during weightlifting class then you have a problem. I played at EM under Coach Daniels! Like I said in another post the kids felt like it was an honor to play for him! If they keep hiring losers to run the program then losers is what you will have! (Im speaking as far as Win/Lose column ofcourse) But, EM is not dead in the water. A good coach who can rally the troops and generate some interest in Football could create a winning program again! All you have to do is make the kids believe in what you are selling! Hard work WILL pay off! Hey, maybe I will apply for the job! NOT!

The last coach to work the kids hard at East was run out of town by parents. Apparently discipline and accountability are two things they will not allow on that side of the county. Of course it doesn't help when the County Admin suspends a coach based upon rumors and speculation from one family. One person will not turn East into a team that wins more than 6-7 games a year. There has to be a major overhaul in terms of priority and focus between the coaches, players, admin, and community.

Honestly, I have not seen much talent at EM. Nothing against the kids, I know that are great young men but I don't think we can fool ourselves and think that EM has college scholarship players. EM has not made great hires and I think that we all know that, but in order to make a great hire you have to be able to offer support, stability, and staff help. I agree that every coach that cares and wants to win must have a good weight program, but if a student athlete wants to be successful and have an opportunity to play on the college level there is something to be said for self-motivation. It will be an uphill battle and a great hire is a tremendous first step, but we must have the community support and a great administration as well.

Moving on, what names have been mentioned and who is out there that we may be interested in for this job?

There is good/ above average 1AA talent at the skill positions at East. The O and D lines are young and need work. 100% agree on the self-motivation statement. My hope is they look at the Pinecrest, Richmond, Scotland type program and find a 2-4 year assistant who is looking for a head coaching challenge.

Originally posted by Sweaterfee:

There is good/ above average 1AA talent at the skill positions at East. The O and D lines are young and need work. 100% agree on the self-motivation statement. My hope is they look at the Pinecrest, Richmond, Scotland type program and find a 2-4 year assistant who is looking for a head coaching challenge.
Just curious? Why would you want an inexperienced assistant coach in charge of building a program? 2-4 yr assistants at those schools haven't even been coordinators.

TW

I don't think East can get an experienced/successful head coach from another school. A coordinator from those type schools would be better. The main thing is someone that has been part of those successful programs and is attainable for East.

A coordinator from those type of schools would be a better option than an assistant w 2-4 yrs experience. The problem with that scenario is that you can't run a small program like EM anything like you do RC, Pinecrest or Scotland. Apples & oranges. Those guys work very little with parents, supporters, etc. and deal with very few problems other than fans complaining about the play calling. The EM job would certainly be a short-lived stepping stone job for the kind of coaches that work in those major programs.Still could have more success than they have had recently.

TW

I imagine parents have very little influence with Eddins when it comes to coaching the team. I agree that if a coach is successful at East it will be a stepping stone to a bigger job, but hopefully that person can build a foundation before he moves on.

Also, the strength and conditioning as well as organization of practice and such can be emulated (from the big schools) regardless of "program size", but regardless of any of this, I agree with your original statement, the athlete has to take some responsibility and self motivate.

Here's the Coordinators from those schools. Give them a call, you never know.

Pinecrest OFF. Coordinator - Ben Hammer
Pinecrest DEF. Coordinator - Antwon Murchison

Richmond OFF. Coordinator - Greg Williams
Richmond DEF. Coordinator - Mark Arthur

Scotland OFF. Coordinator - Keith Wood
Scotland DEF. Coordinator - Sean Burnette

Until coaches are able to coach and not have to please parents who are headstrong that thier kid is always the best, will you get a good program. You see they have to have time to build a program with what is best for all not one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT