ADVERTISEMENT

East Columbus vs East Bladen

NCdeerhunter

Aug 6, 2017
Its sad to see a beautiful school have to cancel game for lack of players. More and more 1A schools are having that problem in Eastern NC. I know there are kids at these schools,but why aren't they playing? I could think of a lot of reasons if I wanted to. But that has become the norm for a lot of smaller schools. Is it Baseball being played year round all over the State now? Or is it other sports,concussion concerns by parents? We need jobs here in Southeastern NC for a lot of reasons not just sports. But this would help bring in new players and make a very good east year after year,and help parents financially . West Columbus going through same thing just have not had to cancel game yet. In 1A schools kids need to play more than one sport to be competitive in sports in these schools. Maybe kids are changing their priorities now,who knows but sooner or later these 2A schools will see decline in ADM numbers and have to consolidate with other schools. I'm not for or against merging,but time will dictate what happens for financial reasons.

I know what use to happen if you was a good player and went to East or West back in my day....

You ended up in a whiteville uniform....
And pray tell me what that has to do with the price of eggs in China, or East having to forfeit a football game on 10/20/2017? Get over it!!!!

I've said it for many years. The roots of a strong high school team start in the recreation and middle school programs. Teach kids early to love the game and most will stick with it and it shows later down the road. It would take a while to see the results but EC and WC need to start strong Rec programs. Yeah some kids will leave and some won't play later but the foundation is there for the ones who will.

I strongly think until these schools can do so that next year these kids should be able to sign a waiver to play football elsewhere....only
Until they stop getting beat to death and forfeiting games. These schools don't struggle in any sport but football. They have strong baseball teams....and why do they? Recreation teams, travel teams, middle school teams and community support.

Just my opinion.

I can say this because I've coached(along with many other volunteer coaches) my son and the majority of SC team when they were 7-8 on up in Rec football and they are still together. They started young and you couldn't pay these kids to leave SC because they love it and football. I know it works....someone just has to get it started in these communities that are struggling. The reward comes later not right away.

This has been at WC for 3 years now,it has gotten worse. I've heard that all my life,its not that. Look real hard,if your not from WC you don't know what problem is. Just being honest. We have rec. Program,kids still are aloud to come play after 3 weeks into season. JV that is. Then end up quiting most of them. I don't have all the answers but I do know ONE. When is school board elections again? Next November?

Reactions: WINGT Tradition
Until East & West can stop the turnover in coaches every couple of years, it will be hard to build those programs. You can't just throw a teacher out there to coach football. You hire someone to coach football then give them a teaching position. I think the guy that East had last year could have done a lot to build that program but he was suddenly let go.

Reactions: WINGT Tradition
It takes a special coach to build a program. It takes a good staff,then 100% commitment from kids. Principal too. To help build football,you got to have community support.
You will be hard pressed to find a coach willing to go to WC or EC that has a proven winning record now. These two schools seems to me will just have to live with not having football programs in the future. That's reality. Sure you can try to play with just 10 or 12 working out in summer then wait until school starts to have 10 or so come out to play,can u do it? WC has but look at results. Coaches can't make them come in summer to weight room but when administration says you will have a JV team what do you do? Piece it together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT