ADVERTISEMENT

Early 2017 Big South Conference Predictions

shutdownD24

Sep 6, 2014
It's still early but I thought that I might just give my mid-June predictions of the new Big South football conference. Of course I will update during fall before start of season after let all the changes and surprises(transfers, ineligibility, etc) that hit teams during the quiet summer months settle down some. My assessment is that the Big South is going to be really competitive overall. Almost everyone has question marks around there o-line.There are a couple of teams that are difficult to make predictions for but here I go anyway.

1. Hunter Huss- The Huskies are still loaded with talented athletes on both sides of the ball. Two years ago the Huskies played a lot of freshmen and sophomores and last year it paid off for them in a big way.Those guys are now rising juniors and seniors with 2 plus years of varsity starts under their belts. The current coaching staff has been able to get their players committed to off season workouts which is an area previous Huskie coaching staffs struggled with.The Huskies will be a hand full for anyone to deal with by mid season. Marcus Mauney on defense and Dallas Danner on offense will be a load to deal with for 3A opponents.The Huskies must clean up the penalties however.
2. Kings Mountain- This was a toss up in my mind between KM, Crest, and possibly Ashbrook. Talent wise KM is ahead of Crest at this time and will benefit from an influx of kids who expect to win when they step on the field. KM is better than Crest on paper but that doesn't win football games.The reason why its a toss up in my mind is because the Mountaineers can look like the best team in the state one week and lose to someone they have absolutely no business losing to seven days later. Pressley will lead the KM defense and Mack will lead the KM offense. If KM plays their best 11 on each side of the ball they will be on a collision course with HH for best in the Big South.
3. Crest- 3rd is a toss up between Crest and Ashbrook. Crest defense will have to keep them in games until the offense comes around. The Crest defense should be pretty strong but the Crest schedule does them no favors. Crest always has decent running backs but finding the right kind of qb to run the new offense will be a challenge. I do expect to see improved improved o-line play but in this conference if you can't pass the ball enough to keep defenses honest than you probably will not be able to score enough to win. If Crest finds a qb who is a threat to run or pass. Watch out.
4. Ashbrook- The "Brook" is one team that it is difficult to predict for. ashbrook could finish in 2nd place on talent alone. Also I believe they are the only team in the conference that can match up with the Huskies "physically" man for man across the board. Ashbrook has size, speed, and British Brooks at running back but they are also Ashbrook. This means that they can beat the first place team in the conference and lose to the last place team in the conference in the same year. It will be interesting to see what the new coaching staff does with the team and also with Brooks who is a traditional running back. If the coaching staff brings consistency and discipline to Ashbrook than they will be a tough out.
5. Burns- Easily one of the best coached teams that I seen last year. That's why I have them here instead of Forestview but you can easily flip flop these two teams. Forestview has a little more talent and Burns a little better coaching. Burns lost a lot of last year's team. Burn's still has some decent pieces coming back but not enough to jump into the top four of this conference. It will be interesting to see how the Dawgs perform with a number of new starters on the field this year.
6. Forestview- FV lost a lot from last year also. FV does has some young talent however. There is a clear gap between the top four and everyone else in this conference. FV has its' work cut out for it this year.
7. Stuart Cramer- The positive is SC has a number of younger guys on the roster who have varsity practice experience under their belt and who experienced a high school playoff football game. SC also has really good facilities(especially the concession stands :)). The SC fans believe that they will do well in football in the Big South. Believe me I do not know why they think that either. The reality is that this conference will be brutal for them and their fans have absolutely no clue what is headed their way. SC has South Point, KM, and Crest on three straight Fridays in September. Hopefully they have enough players left before October rolls around.
8. North Gaston- Keep hope alive. It's going to be a tough year for the Cats.

Last edited:
Great write-up, shutdown! Watch out for Crest! Those boys have been uncomfortably quiet. It scares me a little.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Crest should start last and work there way up!
Naaaw. Crest defense should be really good and they also received more help from a transfer from Virginia who will play defense for them also. I just worry about the Charger D being on the field too long in those early games while the offense gels. Crest has some young guys who will be good players sooner than later.

Reactions: Crestuff
It's still early but I thought that I might just give my mid-June predictions of the new Big South football conference. Of course I will update during fall before start of season after let all the changes and surprises(transfers, ineligibility, etc) that hit teams during the quiet summer months settle down some. My assessment is that the Big South is going to be really competitive overall. Almost everyone has question marks around there o-line.There are a couple of teams that are difficult to make predictions for but here I go anyway.

1. Hunter Huss- The Huskies are still loaded with talented athletes on both sides of the ball. Two years ago the Huskies played a lot of freshmen and sophomores and last year it paid off for them in a big way.Those guys are now rising juniors and seniors with 2 plus years of varsity starts under their belts. The current coaching staff has been able to get their players committed to off season workouts which is an area previous Huskie coaching staffs struggled with.The Huskies will be a hand full for anyone to deal with by mid season. Marcus Mauney on defense and Dallas Danner on offense will be a load to deal with for 3A opponents.The Huskies must clean up the penalties however.
2. Kings Mountain- This was a toss up in my mind between KM, Crest, and possibly Ashbrook. Talent wise KM is ahead of Crest at this time and will benefit from an influx of kids who expect to win when they step on the field. KM is better than Crest on paper but that doesn't win football games.The reason why its a toss up in my mind is because the Mountaineers can look like the best team in the state one week and lose to someone they have absolutely no business losing to seven days later. Pressley will lead the KM defense and Mack will lead the KM offense. If KM plays their best 11 on each side of the ball they will be on a collision course with HH for best in the Big South.
3. Crest- 3rd is a toss up between Crest and Ashbrook. Crest defense will have to keep them in games until the offense comes around. The Crest defense should be pretty strong but the Crest schedule does them no favors. Crest always has decent running backs but finding the right kind of qb to run the new offense will be a challenge. I do expect to see improved improved o-line play but in this conference if you can't pass the ball enough to keep defenses honest than you probably will not be able to score enough to win. If Crest finds a qb who is a threat to run or pass. Watch out.
4. Ashbrook- The "Brook" is one team that it is difficult to predict for. ashbrook could finish in 2nd place on talent alone. Also I believe they are the only team in the conference that can match up with the Huskies "physically" man for man across the board. Ashbrook has size, speed, and British Brooks at running back but they are also Ashbrook. This means that they can beat the first place team in the conference and lose to the last place team in the conference in the same year. It will be interesting to see what the new coaching staff does with the team and also with Brooks who is a traditional running back. If the coaching staff brings consistency and discipline to Ashbrook than they will be a tough out.
5. Burns- Easily one of the best coached teams that I seen last year. That's why I have them here instead of Forestview but you can easily flip flop these two teams. Forestview has a little more talent and Burns a little better coaching. Burns lost a lot of last year's team. Burn's still has some decent pieces coming back but not enough to jump into the top four of this conference. It will be interesting to see how the Dawgs perform with a number of new starters on the field this year.
6. Forestview- FV lost a lot from last year also. FV does has some young talent however. There is a clear gap between the top four and everyone else in this conference. FV has its' work cut out for it this year.
7. Stuart Cramer- The positive is SC has a number of younger guys on the roster who have varsity practice experience under their belt and who experienced a high school playoff football game. SC also has really good facilities(especially the concession stands :)). The SC fans believe that they will do well in football in the Big South. Believe me I do not know why they think that either. The reality is that this conference will be brutal for them and their fans have absolutely no clue what is headed their way. SC has South Point, KM, and Crest on three straight Fridays in September. Hopefully they have enough players left before October rolls around.
1. HH 2. KM or ASHBROOK 4. BURNS or FORESTVIEW 6. STUART CRAMER or CREST 8. NORTH GASTON. JUST MY PRESEASON GUESS.

Last edited:
QB looked well WR's got some work to do but some or on Vacation and at camps so didn't get to see them as a whole.

Crestuff, I'm calling it now, Crest loses their opener and then wins it all.

Naaaw. Crest defense should be really good and they also received more help from a transfer from Virginia who will play defense for them also. I just worry about the Charger D being on the field too long in those early games while the offense gels. Crest has some young guys who will be good players sooner than later.

Pretty sure that transfer will be starting on offense OL. He's going to be a good one. Glad his dad brought him home.

Crest will never finish 8th. That's idiotic. Burns had a surprising year last year. I'm certain we'll probably come back down to earth this year. Hoping for an above .500 year.

Reactions: seadog28
Pretty sure that transfer will be starting on offense OL. He's going to be a good one. Glad his dad brought him home.

I'm thinking that the new hire is going to light it up! As long as he knows SP can't be beaten, I'm a fan!

I'm thinking that the new hire is going to light it up! As long as he knows SP can't be beaten, I'm a fan!

We're very fortunate to have Coach Eddins. He reminds me of DQ....a perfect fit at the right time if you know what I mean Seadog

I know what you mean and think you're right. Going back and winning it this year, brother!

Crest at 8th seems fair as I heard Cramer and No Ga have something special coming. Plus factor in no Burke or Rutherford schools in Big South.

Crest at 8th seems fair as I heard Cramer and No Ga have something special coming. Plus factor in no Burke or Rutherford schools in Big South.
being serious the two recruits from KM will help CREST finish at least fourth or fifth no worst than sixth.

being serious the two recruits from KM will help CREST finish at least fourth or fifth no worst than sixth.

I think you love to hate crest more than you talk anything actually football related about KM, which leads me to believe you're nothing but a troll...so prove me wrong, what does KM and Lloyd have exactly and specifically in detail coming back that makes them such a huge threat unlike the last 20 years minus the 08 season?

To call these two "Recruits" is laughable on several different levels.

Stupid nonsense just to keep things stirred up. There's usually two sides to every story, but most people only want to believe what they hear from the side that talks the most.

And come on 91, when you slam us, at least give us a little credit for the 15 season too lol.

Reactions: ImmaculateReception
I think you love to hate crest more than you talk anything actually football related about KM, which leads me to believe you're nothing but a troll...so prove me wrong, what does KM and Lloyd have exactly and specifically in detail coming back that makes them such a huge threat unlike the last 20 years minus the 08 season?
91 I think MP may be pissing in the Crest fans cornflakes to get a rise out of you. The difference between the previous groups that KM had before and now is that these kids are not afraid of Crest. As a matter of fact they expect to beat Crest. KM's freshmen and sophomores have NEVER lost to Crest kids on any level. That's no accident. When Crest went on their dominant run, you could actually see it coming from the Cleveland County youth leagues to Crest middle school to Crest High. KM is experiencing the exact same thing right now. Dominant youth teams that are feeding the middle school which is now rolling into KM High. The Mack kid is just the tip of the iceberg for KM, there is more talent coming. You better beat them now because the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grade classes at KM will dominate CC. The x-factor with KM and Crest both will be coaching as it relates to their ceilings. All of this is my opinion of course.

Last edited:
91 I think MP may be pissing in the Crest fans cornflakes to get a rise out of you. The difference between the previous groups that KM had before and now is that these kids are not afraid of Crest. As a matter of fact they expect to beat Crest. KM's freshmen and sophomores have NEVER lost to Crest kids on any level. That's no accident. When Crest went on their dominant run, you could actually see it coming from the Cleveland County youth leagues to Crest middle school to Crest High. KM is experiencing the exact same exact thing right now. Dominant youth teams that are feeding the middle school which is now rolling into KM High. The Mack kid is just the tip of the iceberg for KM, there is more talent coming. You better beat them now because the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grade classes at KM will dominate CC. The x-factor with KM and Crest both will be coaching as it relates to their ceilings. All of this is my opinion of course.
Middle school and JV doesn't always translate to varsity dominance. One thing is for sure, with all that talent it will put a lot of pressure on that coaching staff to produce.

Lloyd has to start putting more speed on defense
Yes their defense has hurt them a lot in Lloyd's tenure. Some of their defensive schemes weren't football sound. They did clean some of that up in the last two years but they always seems to resort to their old coaching bad habits at times especially in big games. They are coached better than most teams overall however. I know most Cleveland Co. football fans do not want to hear it but KM has better young football talent than the other CC teams. Head and shouders better. Shelby is the best team currently because of their D but after this year it will be all KM for a few years if they can keep those guys together. I predicted the rise of Huss last year now I am picking the rise of KM. There are many Crest and Shelby football fans that know what's coming. A lot of this depends if the KM head coach can keep the KM politics at bay of course. Hence I mentioned coaching in a previous post.

Last edited:
Stop the back shoulder fade and you stop KM in every big situation that's what they go to.

Stop the back shoulder fade and you stop KM in every big situation that's what they go to.
Lol. When you watch some teams enough you can almost predict with accuracy what they will call in certain situations. Kirby became so predictable at one time it was comical.

Speaking of the power ponies...heard practice was cancelled one day this week when it was raining...you guys do know that some times you have play in the rain? On a more serious note! I do know one senior starter for the ponies is pretty much done for the season due to injury. I truly hate that for the young man. I hope he bounces back and does return before the season is over.

KM has the potential to be a good football team this year if parts of the team develops as the season go on they could be very good.

Speaking of the power ponies...heard practice was cancelled one day this week when it was raining...you guys do know that some times you have play in the rain? On a more serious note! I do know one senior starter for the ponies is pretty much done for the season due to injury. I truly hate that for the young man. I hope he bounces back and does return before the season is over.

He'll be back in 8 wks

Walks in and looks around. Man we are under sized. Hey Burns nice to see you on the sceduals again, Crest... well crap.

If Forestview wins 5 or 6 games this year, I'll be tickled! They'll be very young this year.

Hey this is one of the more interesting conferences to be in this year. I mean let's be honest. The conference championship in Shelbys new conference is going to be between SP and Shelby obviously...my money is already on Shelby for that one. At least with the new Big South, we have KM who should be the favorites but always choke for one reason or another...Hunter Huss gave Shelby their toughest game last year...Ashbrook has a new coach FINALLY!!!! and so does Crest (Thank God...I hope) Burns has improved since Sensey or however you spell his name left...I think the Big South could be up for grabs and possibly one of the toughest conferences around even with SP's departure.

Thought I'd bump this. Not perfect, but pretty damned good for June!

Thank you sir. Biggest surprises for me are Burns doing a little worst than expected and Stuart Cramer doing a little better than expected. Also NG is a better team than expected.

Reactions: seadog28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT