ADVERTISEMENT

1A Early 1A Girls and Guys teams to watch

Make no mistake about it, Hayesville didn't play well and held you to 21 points. Hayesville did beat you when it mattered and your opinion, with no evidence to support it, is Albemarle would win 2 out of 3. I deal in facts not opinions. Good luck this year.[/

Hayesville wouldn’t finish 3rd or 4th in our conference sorry man. Hayesville caught Albemarle on a very bad day and did what they needed in order to get the win. I’m not going to demean them for Albemarle having a bad day. They did what they needed to and got the win.

Funny, Hayesville had a bad night also. Your opinion, based on no evidence, is they wouldn't finish 3rd or 4th in your conference. Funny, how many times did the 3rd or 4th place team defeat you last year? Based on the fact you have never defeated an SMC team is it fair to say that you would finish last? Honestly in the SMC you would be at best 4th. We do have some evidence to base it on. Here is an interesting fact for you. Every team in Hayesville's conference played them closer at home than you did, with the exception of Rosman. And remember HHS rode a bus most of the day to get to your gym, which probably contributed to their off game.

Last edited:
Make no mistake about it, Hayesville didn't play well and held you to 21 points. Hayesville did beat you when it mattered and your opinion, with no evidence to support it, is Albemarle would win 2 out of 3. I deal in facts not opinions. Good luck this year.[/QUOTE
Funny, Hayesville had a bad night also. Your opinion, based on no evidence, is they wouldn't finish 3rd or 4th in your conference. Funny, how many times did the 3rd or 4th place team defeat you last year? Based on the fact you have never defeated an SMC team is it fair to say that you would finish last? Honestly in the SMC you would be at best 4th. We do have some evidence to base it on. Here is an interesting fact for you. Every team in Hayesville's conference played them closer at home than you did, with the exception of Rosman. And remember HHS rode a bus most of the day to get to your gym, which probably contributed to their off game.

Were You at the game last year? LOL. Anyway good luck to all teams this year.

East Surry girls should be at the very top. They have a decent nucleus returning and when you add Elle Sutphin, that makes them pretty tough.
Most 1A teams will not be able to match a 6-3 player, with versatility. She was part of N Surry's 2A state championship runner up, as a freshman. She sat out the majority of last year due to an injury.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I agree bulldog. We're not referring to just a 6-3 post player. She can bring the ball up the court or post up down low.
When I seen them over the summer I was impressed. Good guard play and posts are versatile. They will be a tough out come March. They are my favorite walking into the season.

Additionally east surry and Albemarle played prior to first regular season “official game” last season and east surry won by 1 on a last second shot.
They played for real in a Christmas tournament on a neutral court and East Surry beat them 66-27: http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls...L4S6kSzkPC0hDEpzw.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=

East lost its best player off that team (to D1 volleyball), but as we all know, they're replacing her with someone even better.

They played for real in a Christmas tournament on a neutral court and East Surry beat them 66-27: http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls...L4S6kSzkPC0hDEpzw.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=

East lost its best player off that team (to D1 volleyball), but as we all know, they're replacing her with someone even better.

I am a pretty sure that has already been stated and I picked east surry as my favorite this year. So not sure what the point of your post is? Lol but yes East surry did what they should do as a good team when the other team doesn’t show up and play their best game. But as far as playing for real both east surry and Albemarle were battling the first time they faced each other and Albemarles actually led the majority of the game. Also pointing directly to the Christmas tournament game look at the 4th quarter lmao a point was proven in that game particularly. That was not a 40pt L but no way Albemarle was coming back in that game especially with the decisions being made and point needed to be proven and was.

Jsc1973, let me state a couple of points that have already been established. One, summer league/camp/preseason games are more important that regular season/playoff games. Two, no one ever defeats Albemarle they just have a bad night. Did I get this right bulldog?

Now Jsc I must confess that I don’t know what point was made in the 4th quarter, I wasn’t there. My guess is Albemarle must of benched their starters in the fourth. Not sure what was proven, it was a 24 point game at the half. If anything it looks like East was mercifully.

So again not sure what point your post was aiming for.
Jsc1973, let me state a couple of points that have already been established. One, summer league/camp/preseason games are more important that regular season/playoff games. Two, no one ever defeats Albemarle they just have a bad night. Did I get this right bulldog?

Now Jsc I must confess that I don’t know what point was made in the 4th quarter, I wasn’t there. My guess is Albemarle must of benched their starters in the fourth. Not sure what was proven, it was a 24 point game at the half. If anything it looks like East was mercifully.

From somebody who probably never has seen Albemarle play more than maybe once I don’t think you really know what you are talking about. Of course preseason etc doesn’t equate to the playoffs that’s just an asinine comment. As someone with an apparent list of rings from coaching from the couch your inability to talk basketball and understanding of the game is laughable. Speak on topic without trashing programs or don’t speak.

As far as Albemarle goes the season is upon us we will see if I’m right or not East Surry is still my favorite.

So again not sure what point your post was aiming for.

From somebody who probably never has seen Albemarle play more than maybe once I don’t think you really know what you are talking about. Of course preseason etc doesn’t equate to the playoffs that’s just an asinine comment. As someone with an apparent list of rings from coaching from the couch your inability to talk basketball and understanding of the game is laughable. Speak on topic without trashing programs or don’t speak.

I am glad you recognize that as an asinine statement since you are the one that keeps comparing the two. I guess my sarcasm eluded you. As you should know, coaches will take a variety of approaches to scrimmages. Some will play to win. Others want to see the entire roster in a variety of combinations. Yet others will go in with the agenda to look at specific offensive/defensive/press sets to gain experience for their players and evaluate their effectiveness. Perhaps you should coach from the couch due to "your inability to talk basketball and understanding of the game is laughable."

i haven't trashed any teams. i just don't share you opinion of who the top teams are. I have stated facts to support my views, have you? Speaking of trashing teams, who first referred to teams as an easy road? Who fails to give any credit to teams that defeat them or will add the disclaimer- we played bad? As a coach you should realize that many times the opposing team has a big part in the other team playing bad. Follow your own advice, don't speak.

Reactions: atucker2
In the East, could be another Pamlico boys and girls repeat. Boys are a little behind right now due to football. Girls off to a great start....may know a little bit more this time next week as the girls are playing in the Brogden Tourney in Wilmington with mostly
4A schools after Christmas. If they make it that far would love to see anyone other than WSP (boys)and Mount Airy (girls).

In the East, could be another Pamlico boys and girls repeat. Boys are a little behind right now due to football. Girls off to a great start....may know a little bit more this time next week as the girls are playing in the Brogden Tourney in Wilmington with mostly
4A schools after Christmas. If they make it that far would love to see anyone other than WSP (boys)and Mount Airy (girls).

Princeton will be tough in the East, 9-1, and they didn't play a 1A team in nonconference play.

for the record Lady Bears now 4-0...playing in Galax tourney for Holidays
All respect to the Lady Bears...just don't want another rematch. But if you're the best from the west...then bring it....to be the best you have to beat the best. Good luck to to the MA Lady Bears this year!

Union academy girls are good again. There only loss is to a 10-1 3a cuthbertson by 4pts...also Cherokee girls r good they are 6-1 and beat teams from kentucky and florida down in florida christmas tournament.

Albemarle Girls are 10-1 only loss was to Cox Mill in the Christmas tourney championship by 5. Also beat 3a Concord.

I will tell you a team who will be one to watch for. That’s North rowan. I think that’s a team that will get better as the season goes. Good size and a pretty good freshman who will only get better. Gave Davie everything they could handle in their Christmas Tourney.

Cherokee girls look to be a contender . Went 2-1 in Florida and only lost to the number 6 team in 3a from tenn on a last second shot . I didn’t see them play but sounded like they did well . The boys went 1-2 and continue their struggles not sure what to think they have talent

Cherokee boys will do well in the SMC, a lot of credit to them for playing a tough non conference schedule. Don't know that anybody from the SMC BOYS is really a contender this year, though.

Last edited:
Don't know that anybody from the SMC BOYS is really a contender this year, though.
No, things will be ugly for the SMC boys come playoff time.

Cherokee girls are a contender though and Murphy girls are too, the freshman big Rogers is coming along well. I don't think there is a clear cut best team in 1A girls this year, several teams in the west that are probably good enough to win it all (Mt Airy, Union Academy, Cherokee, Murphy, East Surry), it may depend on who gets hot playoff time.

Last edited:
No, things will be ugly for the SMC boys come playoff time.

Cherokee girls are a contender though and Murphy girls are too, the freshman big Rogers is coming along well. I don't think there is a clear cut best team in 1A girls this year, several teams in the west that are probably good enough to win it all (Mt Airy, Union Academy, Cherokee, Murphy, East Surry), it may depend on who gets hot playoff time.

I think you look at MA ES Cherokee Murphy UA Albemarle. I’m not sure about Langtree charter who is in UA conference. That will be a matchup to watch as I think this is the first year langtree is in the NCHSAA. At this point I would think ES and MA would have to be the favorites.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think you look at MA ES Cherokee Murphy UA Albemarle. I’m not sure about Langtree charter who is in UA conference. That will be a matchup to watch as I think this is the first year langtree is in the NCHSAA. At this point I would think ES and MA would have to be the favorites.

Not sure about Langtree either--they've killed a bunch of nobodies but have lost to the only two good teams they've played by double digits. But they only have one senior, so definitely a team to keep an eye on the next few years.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Not sure about Langtree either--they've killed a bunch of nobodies but have lost to the only two good teams they've played by double digits. But they only have one senior, so definitely a team to keep an eye on the next few years.

That matchup between union and langtree I think will be a descent gauge.

for the record Lady Bears now 4-0...playing in Galax tourney for Holidays
They went 2-1 in the tournament. Didn't really play well in the opener against Salem, but put it away late and won 52-42. They played very well in the semifinal against Forbush and won 70-57, then played a very good Pulaski County team in the final and lost 48-44. These teams met in the final a year ago and MA won easily, but PC added a couple of six-foot freshmen and one of them was really good. Led by five at the half, then PC went on a 16-3 run and eventually went up 10. MA rallied to lead 44-43 with about 1:30 left but missed its last few shots. Pulaski was #8 in MaxPreps VA 4A rankings, for whatever that's worth...

They beat Eden Morehead 54-32 tonight, but were basically toying with them. Played a lot of the first half with only one starter on the floor. It was 20-12 a few minutes into the third, coach calls time-out and MA flips a switch and goes on a 21-2 run. Now 7-1 on the season. Still pretty darn good, nowhere near as good as last year, but who is? ES seems to be rounding into form, and it should be really interesting between those two.

North Stokes boys remain undefeated after beating Elkin 76 to 36 last night.

North Stokes seems to always be undefeated and then don’t win a game when conference play begins. North should be able to put wins together against South Stokes and possibly get one against Mount Airy this season as well.

Prep and Bishop are ahead of the others in their conference. Others could learn a lot from their youth programs.

East Surry is Boaz and the rest of the players are below average as its been shown with him being hurt.

Mount Airy is the same as East as it's a one man show that can carry them. Greene.

North Stokes hasn't really played anybody so who knows what that record means. I believe they were in a similar position last year but their best player missed the rest of the season when conference started.

And South Stokes is really struggling with the loss of last years senior class.

Learn a lot from Prep & Bishop’s youth programs? That’s a joke.

I think the Stevens kid from East can really play. If MA could get a consistent showing from the Hall kid then they can make some noise as well.

Reactions: jsc1973
How long is Boaz out? Heard he should be back soon. Who are the other top players for East Surry? Boaz is very talented. North Stokes schedules non conference well for record purposes but has trouble in conference play it appears on paper most years.

I believe he came back a couple days ago. I believe Quincy Smith is their only true athlete. Just looking at their games without Boaz, losing to North Wilkes, and barely beating Forbush, tells me all I need to know about Boaz's supporting cast. And that's taking just getting out of football as a reason. Better give it Boaz and let him go to work.

Take Prep, and Bishop out of the equation, the conference is not as loaded as it was last year. South Stokes and Mount Airy took big hits from graduation/Donavon leaving early.

So last years bottom two of the conference, East Surry and North Stokes have a better chance of trying to finish 3rd. But like you said, until North Stokes proves it in conference, their record should be taken with a grain of salt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT