ADVERTISEMENT

1A Early 1A Girls and Guys teams to watch

bulldog nation2014

Feb 21, 2014
Girls
East surry I think is the favorite this year. A lot of good returning players from a strong team last year.
Murphy really good team last year not sure what they lost but have a hard time believing they won’t be in a conversation this year.
Albemarle went from 12-14 to 21-7 last year and returned everybody again for the 3rd year
Cherokee I think will be in the conversation again this year. If I remember right they returned much of their core.
MA not sure what they have coming back lost a lot of seniors.

Please add if missed anything

Guys
North Rowan I think will be dangerous this year.
Winston salem prep will probably be the favorite with the transfer they got in I would say the road is paved for them to make another run.
Bishop boys could be one to watch as well
Lincoln charter even with the loss of Schubert I still think has a solid squad.

Murphy girls should be the favorite, they lost some good players but return the majority of their team. East Surry should be good, they return most of their team and picked up a huge transfer at the end of last season. Mount Airy girls lost a lot of talent, but they return one of their top players and their 6th man. Union Academy should be very strong as well this season.

I think WS Prep boys are still the favorite, they lost some talent but replaced it with some transfers (is anyone surprised?)

Murphy lost there best player and anchor in the middle in Beckner which will really hurts but they bring pretty much everyone else back and will bring up a couple pretty good players from jv. Cherokee brings back there whole team minus one or two and were young on top of that. The lady Braves have to be at least co favorite in the SMC this year.

Last edited:
As far as East Surry being favorites in girls 1a i'm not so sure. Union Academy definitely impressed me more last year and bring back quite a bit. Cherokee was really young last year and bring back everyone minus one or two. East Surry is definitely in the mix but I would have those two ahead of East Surry preseason. Murphy is going to be good but just how good is wait and see, depends on how well they adjust to the loss of Beckner. Dogs bring back 6 of there top 8 players but like I said losing Beckner is going to be tough. Murphy has a very good coach though and will bring up two pretty good sophomore forwards from JV, though neither are 6 footers like Beckner and Thompson.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
As far as East Surry being favorites in girls 1a i'm not so sure. Union Academy definitely impressed me more last year and bring back quite a bit. Cherokee was really young last year and bring back everyone minus one or two. East Surry is definitely in the mix but I would have those two ahead of East Surry preseason. Murphy is going to be good but just how good is wait and see, depends on how well they adjust to the loss of Beckner. Dogs bring back 6 of there top 8 players but like I said losing Beckner is going to be tough. Murphy has a very good coach though and will bring up two pretty good sophomore forwards from JV, though neither are 6 footers like Beckner and Thompson.

I seen East Surry over the summer they are better than UA. Without Brianna UA won’t be close to what they were last year. Murphy I agree with the coach is a good coach and will have his team ready to compete at a high level. I will say the same about MA.

I think you have MA, East Surry, Cherokee, Murphy, Albemarle (first time they had a senior class like this since they went to the regional semi finals), UA will win their conference I believe).

Murphy girls will be very different but still very good.

SMC boys will be better top to bottom this year and will have more parity, but no regional contenders until next year IMO.
Guys side I think it goes to Lincoln Charter and Prep both are loaded.

I have the upmost respect for the coach at Murphy much like the coach from Cherokee MA Bishop I always give them a chance. After watching East surry over the summer they looked good. I have to think they will be in the mix somewhere

Murphy girls will be very different but still very good.
Yes, Murphy will no longer have the 6'2 Beckner or the 6'1 Thompson in the post so things are going to be a bit different in terms of scheme and look. But the 'Dogs bring back the 5'11 Addison who is going to be a matchup nightmare for most teams with here improved and varied game. Addison is not a traditional post by any sense, she's a stretch forward, who will play on the wing in college. I think she will be the big key for this team in terms of creating favorable matchups.

Addison put in a lot of work this summer and picked up her first d2 offer. I suspect with her work ethic, size and talent that there will be some low major d1 offers on her plate before she graduates, she is only a junior. That's of course in addition to Murphy bringing back their entire backcourt in Clappsaddle, Pickens, Moore and Martin.

I know Murphy does have another 6 footer in the pipeline in Torin Rogers, who is currently starting for the Murphy volleyball team as a freshman. I know she plays AAU ball with Addison, but unsure if she's that level of talent. Will be interesting to see if Rogers is with the varsity or jv team this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I would go with Prep and Lincoln on the boys side.

On the girls side- East Surry, Cherokee, UA, Murphy and Bishop. I am surprised to see Albemarle listed, didn’t they lose to an average to below average Swain at home last year? Seems like it was 28-20.

On the girls side- East Surry, Cherokee, UA, Murphy and Bishop. I am surprised to see Albemarle listed, didn’t they lose to an average to below average Swain at home last year? Seems like it was 28-20.

Keep in mind that UA team is the same team that finished no better than 4th in Albemarle’s conference. Will have to look back but I believe Albemarle beat UA pretty handily. UA also graduated Presley who was the leader of that team and had been for awhile. Huge difference maker.

Albemarle lost to hayesville and shot 9% on the game. Couldn’t throw it in the ocean. They also had another game like that against East Surry over Christmas. Hayesville also had a game where they lost to Cherokee by 5 so when Hayesville is playing well they can compete. Hayesville did the things they needed to that game and Albemarle didn’t help their case that game, hayesville deserved to win that game. But Albemarle returned everybody from last years 21-7 team. That’s why they are there.

Watcher, let me explain. Albemarle lost to the SMC 4th place Hayesville 33-21. The Lady Jackets outshot them 22% to 19% and out rebounded them by about 16.

Albemarle has not beaten an SMC or NW 1A team in the past few years. All the losses have been by double digit margins, usually with them being the higher seed. One year they were the #1 seed and lost at home in the 2nd round to Mt Airy by 19.

FYI- Hayesville did not start a senior in that game.

Watcher, let me explain. Albemarle lost to the SMC 4th place Hayesville 33-21. The Lady Jackets outshot them 22% to 19% and out rebounded them by about 16.

Albemarle has not beaten an SMC or NW 1A team in the past few years. All the losses have been by double digit margins, usually with them being the higher seed. One year they were the #1 seed and lost at home in the 2nd round to Mt Airy by 19.

FYI- Hayesville did not start a senior in that game.
true or false first game Cherokee beat hayesville by 5? Wide open invitation for any team to come down or we will come up to play.

Additionally east surry and Albemarle played prior to first regular season “official game” last season and east surry won by 1 on a last second shot. Don’t get big headed when you only see them once a year maybe. You all will see them this year. 11/17 anybody is welcome to attend

true or false first game Cherokee beat hayesville by 5? Wide open invitation for any team to come down or we will come up to play.

Additionally east surry and Albemarle played prior to first regular season “official game” last season and east surry won by 1 on a last second shot. Don’t get big headed when you only see them once a year maybe. You all will see them this year. 11/17 anybody is welcome to attend
FYI Albemarle didn’t have a senior last year either.! And please stop putting mountain teams in with NW teams. Only 2 teams have went further than Albemarle in the playoffs in the last 5 years being the regional semi finals and that is Murphy and Cherokee.

False, it was by 7. And it was before Hayesville lost their big girl to ACL surgery. As for coming down to play, you see someone almost each year and how has that turned out? Scrimmages don’t mean much, how did you do with East in the regular season?

Finally, Hayesville brings back the entire team that defeated you at home and plays in a much tougher conference and yet you did feel they were worthy of a mention? Did you notice you are the only one that brings up Albemarle?

FYI Albemarle didn’t have a senior last year either.! And please stop putting mountain teams in with NW teams. Only 2 teams have went further than Albemarle in the playoffs in the last 5 years being the regional semi finals and that is Murphy and Cherokee.

Well, SMC teams have played and defeated NW 1A teams and have had multiple teams in the regionals. Based on results the NW is the best 1A league followed by the SMC. FYI in 2014 Hayesville made a regional finals appearance and didn’t get blown out.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
My apologies they made it there 2013-2014 lost to bishop. That’s the year Albemarle went 23-4. After their first round they played mount airy third would have been against prep and 4th would have been against bishop. 2013-2014 hayesville went through CSD, Lincoln charter Cherokee and HD. Little bit of a different road. Lol

Well, SMC teams have played and defeated NW 1A teams and have had multiple teams in the regionals. Based on results the NW is the best 1A league followed by the SMC. FYI in 2014 Hayesville made a regional finals appearance and didn’t get blown out.
And your right Hayesville didn’t but how about Cherokee? Lmao. We will see you all in the playoffs again. Last team we had with 4 seniors went to the regionals keep that in mind.

Also no mountain team has ever blown out Albemarle. In fact Cherokee and hayesville lost to two teams that Albemarle has never lost to in the last going on 6 years bein south Davidson and west Montgomery (Albemarle lost 1x to West Mont)

In both those years HHS lost to the eventual state champion, have you ever lost to the eventual state champions? You call out who they played on their way to the region finals but isn’t that who you play? You demean a Cherokee team they kick you the following year in your region appearance. Tell me if this is an accurate summary:

You have a regional appearance (that you lost by double figures to the SMC #2) and you did not play a single NW or SMC in the run. You have been the region #1 seed once and lost to a 2nd place NW team by 20+ in the 2nd round. Finally, during these years you have not beaten a SMC or NW team despite not playing the conference champions from either. If I am mistaken on any of these points please let me know.

Also no mountain team has ever blown out Albemarle. In fact Cherokee and hayesville lost to two teams that Albemarle has never lost to in the last going on 6 years bein south Davidson and west Montgomery (Albemarle lost 1x to West Mont)

Yep usually double digit loss, I guess we show mercy for the weak.

If I remember right our girls beat Albemarle pretty good . And I’m pretty sure our coaches ain’t afraid to schedule anyone . In fact I had to do research on max preps seems they have a game open . Call them and come on up to the boundary . In fact our teams are going to Lincoln charter I seen . Kudos to the boys coach to see some of the best

Reactions: recycled2
In both those years HHS lost to the eventual state champion, have you ever lost to the eventual state champions? You call out who they played on their way to the region finals but isn’t that who you play? You demean a Cherokee team they kick you the following year in your region appearance. Tell me if this is an accurate summary:

You have a regional appearance (that you lost by double figures to the SMC #2) and you did not play a single NW or SMC in the run. You have been the region #1 seed once and lost to a 2nd place NW team by 20+ in the 2nd round. Finally, during these years you have not beaten a SMC or NW team despite not playing the conference champions from either. If I am mistaken on any of these points please let me know.

Actually never demeaned Cherokee check back the last couple of years always give them credit and list them as a team to watch. They have a good coach and good players the right seed in the playoffs and they make a deep run. Much like I give credit to MA ES Bishop. You can also scroll up and see my statements involving teams to watch this year.

Cherokee when we lost by 13 (not a blow out) in the regional semi finals was the one seed out of their conference. We played swain when these kids were all freshman, east Wilkes who was a really good team when they were all sophomores and hayesville last year. Cherokee much like other good teams will go play anybody. They want to be challenged.

Point being have never demeaned a team yet the last team where Albemarle had this many seniors they went to the regional semi finals and yet not a team to watch. I have already stated in my opinion after seeing east surry this summer I think they are favorites. I’m saying Albemarle is a team to watch in the West.

Back to the MA team that came in to Albemarle when they were a 1 seed. MA was absolutely on fire I believe they were 14/25 from the 3pt line that night. That’s when we had pods. The Midwest that year was loaded. Albemarle won the first round handily and MA came out strong got up 16-3 on Albemarle, Albemarle then went on a 16-3 run and then held a lead into halftime. Albemarle held the lead all they down to 3:00min to go in the third and albemarles point guard picked up her 4th foul. She was guarding MA’s best shooter. Albemarle was not deep that year at all anyway once she went to the bench the girl she was guarding went OFF I believe MA hit 5 straight 3’s in the last 3:00 min of the quarter. Can’t remember exactly what the deficit was but believe it was somewhere around 15 anyway Albemarle was able to bring it back I believe within 6 and that was it in the 4th. MA was a strong team that year lead by a great coach in Coach Mayo. In today’s seeding I would give them a great chance to get to regionals.

If I remember right our girls beat Albemarle pretty good . And I’m pretty sure our coaches ain’t afraid to schedule anyone . In fact I had to do research on max preps seems they have a game open . Call them and come on up to the boundary . In fact our teams are going to Lincoln charter I seen . Kudos to the boys coach to see some of the best
Albemarle is full but playing in a Christmas tourney at Mount Pleasant. Pretty nice event

Bulldognation2014 said

Cherokee when we lost by 13 (not a blow out) in the regional semi finals was the one seed out of their conference.

Cherokee was number 2 in the SMC that year. They received a #9 seed and Hayesville was a #6 seed. All 32 teams were seeded 1-32. It helps to convince us when you are accurate. As for the blowout, a 19 point loss at home seems pretty close. Hopefully you will be a team to watch, but until you prove it vs the SMC or NW you will still be considered in that group that you inferred to as being an easy road.

Bulldognation2014 said

Cherokee when we lost by 13 (not a blow out) in the regional semi finals was the one seed out of their conference.

Cherokee was number 2 in the SMC that year. They received a #9 seed and Hayesville was a #6 seed. All 32 teams were seeded 1-32. It helps to convince us when you are accurate. As for the blowout, a 19 point loss at home seems pretty close. Hopefully you will be a team to watch, but until you prove it vs the SMC or NW you will still be considered in that group that you inferred to as being an easy road.

I’m sorry what mountain team beat us by 19? Like I said until you make a state championship take your name away from next to the NW conference. You all lost to two teams that Albemarle has not lost to in going on 6 years with the exception of West mont 1x. 13 is not a blow out especially being down 8 in the 4th. Cherokee handled their business that game and deserved the w Albemarle did not in the regionals you have to handle your business to win. But again that was in the regionals and by the way the last time Albemarle had an experienced team. Reasons to watch Albemarle returns pretty much the whole team including top 6 players 4 all conference players and a 1st team all district player who avg 17ppg last year who by the way was on the bench with foul trouble pretty much the whole game against hayesville. Secondly this team is coming off of a 21-7 season and returns everybody once again.

Again my favorite is east surry after seeing this summer they are a legit contender. My teams to watch remain. I can justify each one of them I selected can you?

The one game you point too is MA winning over Albemarle. MA that year had they not been in the Midwest POD which was a dogfight and been in the cake walk west would have been in the regionals no question about it. Albemarle that year had they been in the West would have been in the regionals. Keep in mind that year the first round Albemarle smacked roxboro community who came west that year. Additionally when hayesville beat bishop they were on a down year that year. The year in which you refer to constantly was the year of the Midwest pods and that Albemarle MA game was a battle all the way up to Albemarles point guard went to the bench in foul trouble (they were not deep) as soon as she went to the best MA’s best shooter went off. Albemarle in the 4th cut the lead from 15 to 8 which was a huge task against that team with a great coach anyway. Ma that year had 5 really good shooters as shown in that game (14/25 from 3). Do not discredit that team because they would have smacked anybody from the west that year. MA, Prep, and Bishop anyone of them could have won a state title that year. Albemarles path that year would have been MA Prep and Bishop to the regional finals. Many coaches stated whoever comes out of that section were going to be state champs.

Up until recently west didn’t have to see the NW until regionals I would love to go back to format of splitting into pods and then go 1west v 16midwest etc like they did a year or two ago.

Bulldognation2014 said

Keep us as an easy road I’m good with that. As a team that’s been in the regional semi finals I appreciate that . Still going to be a team to watch though. Looking forward to the season and good luck to all teams.

I’m sorry what mountain team beat us by 19? Like I said until you make a state championship take your name away from next to the NW conference. You all lost to two teams that Albemarle has not lost to in going on 6 years with the exception of West mont 1x. 13 is not a blow out especially being down 8 in the 4th. Cherokee handled their business that game and deserved the w Albemarle did not in the regionals you have to handle your business to win. But again that was in the regionals and by the way the last time Albemarle had an experienced team. Reasons to watch Albemarle returns pretty much the whole team including top 6 players 4 all conference players and a 1st team all district player who avg 17ppg last year who by the way was on the bench with foul trouble pretty much the whole game against hayesville. Secondly this team is coming off of a 21-7 season and returns everybody once again.

Again my favorite is east surry after seeing this summer they are a legit contender. My teams to watch remain. I can justify each one of them I selected can you?

The one game you point too is MA winning over Albemarle. MA that year had they not been in the Midwest POD which was a dogfight and been in the cake walk west would have been in the regionals no question about it. Albemarle that year had they been in the West would have been in the regionals. Keep in mind that year the first round Albemarle smacked roxboro community who came west that year. Additionally when hayesville beat bishop they were on a down year that year. The year in which you refer to constantly was the year of the Midwest pods and that Albemarle MA game was a battle all the way up to Albemarles point guard went to the bench in foul trouble (they were not deep) as soon as she went to the best MA’s best shooter went off. Albemarle in the 4th cut the lead from 15 to 8 which was a huge task against that team with a great coach anyway. Ma that year had 5 really good shooters as shown in that game (14/25 from 3). Do not discredit that team because they would have smacked anybody from the west that year. MA, Prep, and Bishop anyone of them could have won a state title that year. Albemarles path that year would have been MA Prep and Bishop to the regional finals. Many coaches stated whoever comes out of that section were going to be state champs.

Up until recently west didn’t have to see the NW until regionals I would love to go back to format of splitting into pods and then go 1west v 16midwest etc like they did a year or two ago.

Lots of excuse and if''s and but's and no wins. Shouldn't a team that has started and played freshmen being considered experienced when they are juniors and have three years starting?

Lots of excuse and if''s and but's and no wins. Shouldn't a team that has started and played freshmen being considered experienced when they are juniors and have three years starting?
What excuses do you see? Last year 4 juniors 4 sophomores 3 freshman. I think 21 wins is pretty good for 8 juniors and sophomores right? Especially when your tallest player is 5’6? I mean come on man I know your probably a couch coach trying to learn terms on you tube but why demean high school players who have went through the process worked hard played incredible talent every summer to put themselves in a position they are? Keep in mind this team 12-14 as freshman and sophomores 21-7 last year as sophomores and juniors. Sleep on them that’s fine pick your top teams to watch. But facts are facts the last time Albemarle had this experience they went to the regional semi finals. The only item I am saying is they are a team to watch. You are getting your panties in a bunch lol. Let’s talk basketball and the teams to watch. The basketball season is right around the corner let’s have a good discussion about this upcoming season. If you don’t have something to discuss and want to trash kids that are in college won a lot of games some playing college ball then go elsewhere.

One more to answer your question. Experience yes but there is a way different mentality and maturity level from a team that’s mostly freshmen and sophomores to a team that’s mostly juniors and seniors.

What excuses do you see? Last year 4 juniors 4 sophomores 3 freshman. I think 21 wins is pretty good for 8 juniors and sophomores right? Especially when your tallest player is 5’6?

Sounds like this years Mitchell team, gonna be 7-8 juniors, 3 sophomore, and possibly a freshman or 2.

Sounds like this years Mitchell team, gonna be 7-8 juniors, 3 sophomore, and possibly a freshman or 2.

I was speaking to walkertown new coach. Interested to see what he can do. Anytime you get a group that young you have time to develop them. Mitchell seems like a team to kind of watch to see how they develop for this year into next year. Good look.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
What excuses do you see? Last year 4 juniors 4 sophomores 3 freshman. I think 21 wins is pretty good for 8 juniors and sophomores right? Especially when your tallest player is 5’6? I mean come on man I know your probably a couch coach trying to learn terms on you tube but why demean high school players who have went through the process worked hard played incredible talent every summer to put themselves in a position they are? Keep in mind this team 12-14 as freshman and sophomores 21-7 last year as sophomores and juniors. Sleep on them that’s fine pick your top teams to watch. But facts are facts the last time Albemarle had this experience they went to the regional semi finals. The only item I am saying is they are a team to watch. You are getting your panties in a bunch lol. Let’s talk basketball and the teams to watch. The basketball season is right around the corner let’s have a good discussion about this upcoming season. If you don’t have something to discuss and want to trash kids that are in college won a lot of games some playing college ball then go elsewhere.

Couch coach- lol. Next time your up this way call me and I'll let you see some of my state rings. Maybe you can hold one or get your picture with it.

With only 2 your still behind. Tell me what high school?

See here is the things I could go straight through my resume and to be honest it wouldn’t matter. 2 states 4 top 12 rankings nationally and that wouldn’t matter in regards to your opinion. Because that was on the guys side. Now in regards to this program and what should matter is this they avg 18 wins a year, they are 3/4 in conference tournament championships only loss being when they were all freshman and sophomore. Additionally this is the first time since the team that went to regional semi they have had this experience. Additionally they return everybody from last year. Last year as compared to the year before 12 wins to 21 wins. That’s a big jump in a year. Now to address your point against hayesville. Make no mistake about it hayesville wouldn’t beat these kids 2 out of 3 times. They caught them on a bad day and barely got past them and they did the things necessary to win and they deserved it as well. BUT that is not the first time They played like that. East surry north stanly and north Moore all benefited from exactly that type of game look at the stats. West stanly almost got them on that type of game as well.

So as back to my point each year they have shown drastic improvement and coming off a 21-7 year are you telling me that looking at the improvements made each year in addition to aside from
Those games listed how they played typically they are not a team to watch? Now for them to be a threat as a state contender they have to make improvements to beat the east Surry’s MA etc but they are not far off. Keep in mind as well your not speaking of a team that dodges people in the summer and pre season. Playing East surry southest Guilford southeast Raleigh butler watauga TW Andrews team wall showcase etc etc.

See here is the things I could go straight through my resume and to be honest it wouldn’t matter. 2 states 4 top 12 rankings nationally and that wouldn’t matter in regards to your opinion. Because that was on the guys side. Now in regards to this program and what should matter is this they avg 18 wins a year, they are 3/4 in conference tournament championships only loss being when they were all freshman and sophomore. Additionally this is the first time since the team that went to regional semi they have had this experience. Additionally they return everybody from last year. Last year as compared to the year before 12 wins to 21 wins. That’s a big jump in a year. Now to address your point against hayesville. Make no mistake about it hayesville wouldn’t beat these kids 2 out of 3 times. They caught them on a bad day and barely got past them and they did the things necessary to win and they deserved it as well. BUT that is not the first time They played like that. East surry north stanly and north Moore all benefited from exactly that type of game look at the stats. West stanly almost got them on that type of game as well.

So as back to my point each year they have shown drastic improvement and coming off a 21-7 year are you telling me that looking at the improvements made each year in addition to aside from
Those games listed how they played typically they are not a team to watch? Now for them to be a threat as a state contender they have to make improvements to beat the east Surry’s MA etc but they are not far off. Keep in mind as well your not speaking of a team that dodges people in the summer and pre season. Playing East surry southest Guilford southeast Raleigh butler watauga TW Andrews team wall showcase etc etc.

Now again I stated they are a team to watch and that was it. Above is why.

Make no mistake about it, Hayesville didn't play well and held you to 21 points. Hayesville did beat you when it mattered and your opinion, with no evidence to support it, is Albemarle would win 2 out of 3. I deal in facts not opinions. Good luck this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT