ADVERTISEMENT

Dutch Fork vs Gaffney 5A State Championship game

And this is the exact reason Gaffney stopped the series with Shelby when Shelby went to 2A in '97.
SC used a point system they gave less "power" points for a win over a 2A school than a 3A or 4A opponent. Hurt their chances for playoff seeding by playing Shelby than a terrible 3A squad.

btango wrote;

From the Observer,
Sports columnist Scott Fowler has written for The Charlotte Observer since 1994. He has authored or co-authored eight books, including four about the Carolina Panthers. Fowler has won the Thomas Wolfe award for outstanding newspaper writing and has earned 15 national APSE awards. He also hosted The Observer’s 8-part podcast “Carruth,” which Sports Illustrated named 2018’s “Podcast of the Year.”

The community, the parents and families, the school boards, the school faculty and coaches, the students, the players all share the success of what the Shelby Golden Lions have done with what we have been given and blessed with.
The Golden Lions of Shelby High School are the most successful, sustained, winning football program in the state of North Carolina.
They are;
The True Dynasty.
I know Scott Fowler. I some how always get an autographed copy of his books. May be he will do one on Shelby. I will buy a few extra for my prep football fans. He sent one to a local Cleveland County Tar Heel for me many years ago.

What he wrote about is what makes Shelby special. This segment of the thread does not appear to be about that. This thread became pushing the agenda of inclusion as the best team in the state on the field based on the South Pointe game.

You coming to Raleigh Saturday?
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater football team, is one of top D3 programs in collegiate history. Could you imagine them trolling the ACC message board? No! I have no interest in watching Shelby. Although they are an elite 2A program. 🤷🏾‍♂️ Across the board collectively. There’s not a lot of stiff competition.

btango wrote;

You can slant it and sell it however you want but until you play an elite power big school team and beat them you are not going to get the full acknowledgement you appear to desire.

Really?
Check out Scott Fowler’s article on Shelby in today’s Charlotte Observer online Sports page.
He gets it.
He came on his own to Shelby to write that.

From the Observer,
Sports columnist Scott Fowler has written for The Charlotte Observer since 1994. He has authored or co-authored eight books, including four about the Carolina Panthers. Fowler has won the Thomas Wolfe award for outstanding newspaper writing and has earned 15 national APSE awards. He also hosted The Observer’s 8-part podcast “Carruth,” which Sports Illustrated named 2018’s “Podcast of the Year.”

You guys really think this is about Shelby playing and beating elite 4A and 5A teams?

How petty that is in the face of Scott’s article today.
Vince Lombardi said “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”

The community, the parents and families, the school boards, the school faculty and coaches, the students, the players all share the success of what the Shelby Golden Lions have done with what we have been given and blessed with.
The Golden Lions of Shelby High School are the most successful, sustained, winning football program in the state of North Carolina.
They are;
The True Dynasty.
You run with sheep. It's all subjective. Shelby is Shelby within their circle....Gaston, Lincoln, Rutherford. When you step outside of it you become marginal against the true powers. You don't have to accept it to make it true. Shelby is a great program; but to chest bump the way you guys do and demanding the respect you do is hilarious.

Reactions: nepsy7
Not what I wrote. Shelby scheduled a team that had been down a few years and many were counting out. A lot of questions about Holloman's ability to get it back to elite status. They did not schedule a defending state champion but a team that had made two first round playoff exits the previous two season and a second round with the previous coach three years ago. Strong, yes? Elite, no one was calling them elite even earlier in the year when Spring Valley beat them by a TD or going to triple OT with South Florence. Spring Valley did not make the 5A playoffs and SF missed the 4A playoffs. Fans did not think they would be playing for state titles then nor when DF was up 35-0 on them last spring.
You guys are rationalizing like crazy.
You are so jealous it is sad.
Don’t hate us cause you ain’t us.
What Shelby has is historical, factual proven success for decades. Y’all have one decade, maybe two. Good for you. Enjoy it.
Time to end this debate.
Scott Fowler, in his article, said it better than we can.
Now, please, don’t do your normal routine and go after him because you don’t like what he wrote, even though it is all true.
Go Golden Lions !!

I know Scott Fowler. I some how always get an autographed copy of his books. May be he will do one on Shelby. I will buy a few extra for my prep football fans. He sent one to a local Cleveland County Tar Heel for me many years ago.

What he wrote about is what makes Shelby special. This segment of the thread does not appear to be about that. This thread became pushing the agenda of inclusion as the best team in the state on the field based on the South Pointe game.
Good for you, btango.
And we know people, too.
We all have our credentials.
Only you will tell us none of yours.
We have no idea from what authority you speak. You just blab on like you know everything.
Tell us your background and resume, and not in vague terms. We don’t want any personal info. Just why we should respect anything you say.
You have begrudged Shelby success for years until we called you out on dozens of mistakes and misrepresentations. Then you realized you had met your match.
For you to call us out on “Shelby can beat anybody” framing is ridiculous.
You and the gang know that is not the issue.
It is about sustained success.
And when any in 4A start behaving as though they are the dominating program in NC, it is our responsibility to correct them. And they can’t stand it.
So they immediately turn it into Shelby and 2A is nice but they can’t play with the big boys.
In what? Sustained success? Wins? Championships? Winning percentages?
Oh yea. Just a given elite team in a given year.
and that changes all the time.
But the Golden Lions don’t.
2A doesn’t play 4A for a Title.
4A doesn’t play 6A for a Title, and on and on.
So who has the wins? And the rings?
Get it?

Good for you, btango.
And we know people, too.
We have no idea from what authority you speak. You just blab on like you know everything.
Tell us your background and resume, and not in vague terms. We don’t want any personal info. Just why we should respect anything you say.
You have begrudged Shelby success for years until we called you out on dozens of mistakes and misrepresentations. Then you realized you had met your match.
And when any in 4A start behaving as though they are the dominating program in NC, it is our responsibility to correct them. And they can’t stand it.
So they immediately turn it into Shelby and 2A is nice but they can’t play with the big boys.
Get it?
You can't see the forest for all the trees.... People are recognizing and applauding Shelby's tradition and tenured success. You are trying to compare them losing a close game to a SC state champion to parallel them with Kevin Bacon's 6 degrees of separation against superior talent in NC. Having tradition and championships at the 2A level is awesome. It does not mean you can compete with the heavyweights just the same as that does not diminish your success at the 2A level.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Good for you, btango.
And we know people, too.
Get it?
There is no 6A in NC 🤷🏾‍♂️ 2A is collectively the weakest competition in the State.

I am not an authority on anything and have no credentials. I don't have a team. I don't have any connections. I go to see the best games I can make it to. I have been to a game at Shelby in five straight decades and will make it six in the next season or so. I do not begrudge Shelby's success, quite the contrary. I know the past three coaches and consider one a friend. Hope they rep the west strongly this weekend and expect to see a very competitive game. Passing attack versus a great RB.

I am not an authority on anything and have no credentials. I don't have a team. I don't have any connections. I go to see the best games I can make it to. I have been to a game at Shelby in five straight decades and will make it six in the next season or so. I do not begrudge Shelby's success, quite the contrary. I know the past three coaches and consider one a friend. Hope they rep the west strongly this weekend and expect to see a very competitive game. Passing attack versus a great RB.
Why are you afraid to tell us who you are and what you are about?
Again, we do not want any personal info.
But of you are going to comment here and give your opinions and represent your experiences and opinion, then come clean and identify yourself in safe terms.
We will help you.
What high school did you attend? General vicinity answer is fine.
Did you play high school football?
Did you play college football?
Have you coached high school or college football?
Have you been otherwise involved, say at the Association level?
Why do you feel the need to contribute on Preps? Why not just read it?

Good for you, btango.
And we know people, too.
Get it?
You guys recruit the top players in Cleveland County to play in one the most watered down divisions in NC High School Football. blah blah blah blah blah

He is the godfather of NCHS football. Btango been around since before the old Charlotte Observer boards. Thats where I met him. He has no bias in his opinions and not really a fan of any school that I can recall. He has worked with the NCHSAA, and many other NC HS football sites. He is the encyclopedia of NCHS football.

-As for Shelby they do have teams in certain years that can compete on a 4A/5A level. Also in one off games they can do well vs. a 4A/5A team. But overall they are not on that level at all. Look at the teams that moved up to 4A this year and how they were dominated in the 4A playoffs. An early season game vs. a true playoff game is night and day when you are talking 4A/5A ball. Dont use Crest/Shelby as a measuring stick as thats a rival game. I;'ve seen Carilina beat Duke in basketball and vice versa when the winning team was waaaaaay down and the loser wnet on to compete nationally. Different type of game. I;ve seen Hough, Chambers, Dudley, RC and CG compete this year. They are head and shoulders above Shelby and its not close. Hell Shelby lost to 4A Southpointe and barely beat a bad AC reynolds team.

Go read the paper.
You are at home this weekend, right?
I'm at home every weekend. Stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense. You guys are bragging about beating teams with only 5 kids who weigh over 200 lbs on the team. I can't stop laughing .😂😂😂

Last edited:
He is the godfather of NCHS football. Btango been around since before the old Charlotte Observer boards. Thats where I met him. He has no bias in his opinions and not really a fan of any school that I can recall. He has worked with the NCHSAA, and many other NC HS football sites. He is the encyclopedia of NCHS football.

-As for Shelby they do have teams in certain years that can compete on a 4A/5A level. Also in one off games they can do well vs. a 4A/5A team. But overall they are not on that level at all. Look at the teams that moved up to 4A this year and how they were dominated in the 4A playoffs. An early season game vs. a true playoff game is night and day when you are talking 4A/5A ball. Dont use Crest/Shelby as a measuring stick as thats a rival game. I;'ve seen Carilina beat Duke in basketball and vice versa when the winning team was waaaaaay down and the loser wnet on to compete nationally. Different type of game. I;ve seen Hough, Chambers, Dudley, RC and CG compete this year. They are head and shoulders above Shelby and its not close. Hell Shelby lost to 4A Southpointe and barely beat a bad AC reynolds team.
So tell us about yourself, bigdadd11103.
While we still wait on mystery man btango.

There is no 6A in NC 🤷🏾‍♂️ 2A is collectively the weakest competition in the State.
So if there was a 6A class, how would you feel about it?
How would you feel about your 4A program in relation to 6A?
Do you even understand why classifications exist?
At the high school level, is it more important to be the best team in the highest class in a given few years, or to be the most historically successful and sustained program in the state?

So if there was a 6A class, how would you feel about it?
How would you feel about your 4A program in relation to 6A?
Do you even understand why classifications exist?
At the high school level, is it more important to be the best team in the highest class in a given few years, or to be the most historically successful and sustained program in the state?
I understand that you guys recruit all of Cleveland County, which consist of over 4000 students. Than you jump down to 2A bragging about your success, while playing horrible teams every year. I’m not impressed. 😂

I understand that you guys recruit all of Cleveland County, which consist of over 4000 students. Than you jump down to 2A bragging about your success, while playing horrible teams every year. I’m not impressed. 😂
Sure. We recruit all over the region.
We taught the guy that took your 11 best players away this year, that you can’t stop talking about, from MC, so you can’t compete anymore.
You really have recruiting on the brain, don’t you?
We did loan you Marquise Williams from Shelby a few years ago. He still comes to the Shelby games.
Marquise will probably be in Raleigh to watch Shelby play.
Come by and see him.
Oh yea. You aren’t going to Raleigh.

Sure. We recruit all over the region.
We taught the guy that took your 11 best players away this year, that you can’t stop talking about, from MC, so you can’t compete anymore.
You really have recruiting on the brain, don’t you?
We did loan you Marquise Williams from Shelby a few years ago. He still comes to the Shelby games.
Marquise will probably be in Raleigh to watch Shelby play.
Come by and see him.
Oh yea. You aren’t going to Raleigh.
You don't like talking about recruiting to compete in little 2A. :) I get it! At least you're showing signs of being embarrassed. You didn't loan Charlotte anything. His Father wanted him to compete against better talent in Charlotte. He never played a down of High School Football in Shelby...lmao Stop trying to take credit for things you had nothing to do with. I'm not interested in watching a game with 175lb OG, 5'6" 135lb cb's, 5'9" 185lb DT'S. LMAO!

Last edited:
You don't like talking about recruiting to compete in little 2A. :) I get it! At least you're showing signs of being embarrassed. You didn't loan Charlotte anything. His Father wanted him to compete against better talent in Charlotte. He never played a down of High School Football in Shelby...lmao Stop trying to take credit for things you had nothing to do with. I'm not interested in watching a game with 175lb OG, 5'6" 135lb cb's, 5'9" 185lb DT'S. LMAO!
This weekend, you aren’t watching anybody.

This weekend, you aren’t watching anybody.
Of course I am. Chambers vs Cardinal Gibbons, Dudley vs JH Rose. (Split Screen) Than starting at noon Saturday. FCS playoffs all day. I know Shelby will have their hands full against Wallace Rose, big time 5’6” 145lb LB’s 😂😂😂 In little 2A, do you guys use zone blocking, when you’re going up against the 165lb. D Linemen ????😂🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Good for you, btango.
And we know people, too.
Get it?
I can tell you are a newbie or just too young to realize who Btango is. He is very fair when he talks about football teams and programs. He knows his football and not only NC & SC football. You probably need to put some respect on his name “BTANGO”. If 2A Shelby would like to get some recognition schedule one of the Charlotte-Meck schools or Butler, Mallard Creek, Chambers, Butler, Catholic, Myers Park, or Hough. If not schedule G’boro Dudley, Richmond Co. or Cardinal Gibbons. Until then please stay on the JV league board little 2A where your team belongs.

I can tell you are a newbie or just too young to realize who Btango is. He is very fair when he talks about football teams and programs. He knows his football and not only NC & SC football. You probably need to put some respect on his name “BTANGO”. If 2A Shelby would like to get some recognition schedule one of the Charlotte-Meck schools or Butler, Mallard Creek, Chambers, Butler, Catholic, Myers Park, or Hough. If not schedule G’boro Dudley, Richmond Co. or Cardinal Gibbons. Until then please stay on the JV league board little 2A where your team belongs.
We have been tangling with btango for many, many years.
We know him and he knows us.
He just has always hidden behind a cloak of secrecy regarding his high school football credentials. How can one be on Preps for years, pontificating on everything from Association history and behavior, all the way to minutiae on a coaches socks, yet never references why he feels so authoritarian on everything.
We just want to know some background on him.
Nothing private or personal. Just general info.
Otherwise, we are forced to see him as another blowhard influenced by his own biases, and not necessarily very accurate.
We don’t need your silly challenge now, to play the best 4A teams in the state. We have been over all that on this thread. We just played the 4A State Champion in SC this year.
Shelby stands alone as the most successful, sustained, winning high school football program in North Carolina history, regardless of classification.
When any of those programs you mentioned above can challenge that, let us know.

We have been tangling with btango for many, many years.
We know him and he knows us.
He just has always hidden behind a cloak of secrecy regarding his high school football credentials. How can one be on Preps for years, pontificating on everything from Association history and behavior, all the way to minutiae on a coaches socks, yet never references why he feels so authoritarian on everything.
We just want to know some background on him.
Nothing private or personal. Just general info.
Otherwise, we are forced to see him as another blowhard influenced by his own biases, and not necessarily very accurate.
We don’t need your silly challenge now, to play the best 4A teams in the state. We have been over all that on this thread. We just played the 4A State Champion in SC this year.
Shelby stands alone as the most successful, sustained, winning high school football program in North Carolina history, regardless of classification.
When any of those programs you mentioned above can challenge that, let us know.
You guys haven't been tangling with anyone. You're trolls. None of you guys know enough about high school football outside of Shelby to debate anyone.

Shelby vs AC Reynolds 15-12
Hickory Ridge vs AC Reynolds 31-7

You're 2A :) and you show it

Last edited:
So tell us about yourself, bigdadd11103.
While we still wait on mystery man btango.
You have no idea who this bigdadd11103 person is, do you?

S2V2 was the only person who was correct. I was skeptical of the person at first, but now I know what he was talking about all along.

According to the S2V2 person who I haven't seen in a while, Nepsy7 was first, followed by Blue and Gold22. 704Cougarsdad was formed as a result of this. Then there was the newest member of the west of Queen City bigdadd11103, which is also where the Kin Pin Nepsy wields control over all of these names.

Bigdadd11103 doesnt play as often as the other characters.

Please visit any of the threads. Keep an eye out for Nepsy7's posts. 704cougardad will magically LIKE it two seconds later. Then pay notice when Blue and Gold22 post, because Nepsy7 LIKES it right away. This is an attempt to make you feel isolated in the corner, as if these four people are actually four different people. My friend, I have some good news for you. This is a group of four characters controlled by a single Master.

From here forward, dont let them fool you.

S2V2 was the only person who was correct. I was skeptical of the person at first, but now I know what he was talking about all along.

According to the S2V2 person who I haven't seen in a while, Nepsy7 was first, followed by Blue and Gold22. 704Cougarsdad was formed as a result of this. Then there was the newest member of the west of Queen City bigdadd11103, which is also where the Kin Pin Nepsy wields control over all of these names.

Please visit any of the threads. Keep an eye out for Nepsy7's posts. 704cougardad will magically LIKE it two seconds later. Then pay notice when Blue and Gold22 post, because Nepsy7 LIKES it right away. Bigdadd11103 doesnt play as often as the other characters. This is an attempt to make you feel isolated in the corner, as if these four people are actually four different people. My friend, I have some good news for you. This is a group of four characters controlled by a single Master.

S2V2! You’re at it again. You haven’t seen him in a while, because you’re him. 😂 Relentless on being a nut. I thought this was you. Now you’re up to 21 😂 Stop trying to turn the board into a 🤡 Circus. You met B&G in myself at the MC vs Scotland you moron. I’m 6’1 about 235lb Black guy. B&G is white. I’ve never met the cougar guy or Bigdadd. B&G and myself ignored you because you’re an idiot. Now you’re really reaching. You wouldn’t know this, but Ms. King can tell if you have more than 1 sign on. You should know this by now. Them is more than 1 Einstein. 😂

Last edited:
You guys haven't been tangling with anyone. You're trolls. None of you guys know enough about high school football outside of Shelby to debate anyone.

Shelby vs AC Reynolds 15-12
Hickory Ridge vs AC Reynolds 31-7

You're 2A :) and you show i
Of course I am. Chambers vs Cardinal Gibbons, Dudley vs JH Rose. (Split Screen) Than starting at noon Saturday. FCS playoffs all day. I know Shelby will have their hands full against Wallace Rose, big time 5’6” 145lb LB’s 😂😂😂 In little 2A, do you guys use zone blocking, when you’re going up against the 165lb. D Linemen ????😂🤷🏾‍♂️
Now you really are showing your ignorance.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Shelby linebackers go 6’4” 220 (D1 commit UNC), 6’2”. 215, and 6’3” 200.
Shelby d lineman go 6’2” 265 (D1 commit App St), 6’2” 260 (D1 recruit App, soph), 6’2” 270.
And there are two full 11 man platoons. Nobody plays both ways on offense or defense. Most 4A teams can’t claim that.
Chill, baby.
It’s over.

Now you really are showing your ignorance.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Shelby linebackers go 6’4” 220 (D1 commit UNC), 6’2”. 215, and 6’3” 200.
Shelby d lineman go 6’2” 265 (D1 commit App St), 6’2” 260 (D1 recruit App, soph), 6’2” 270.
And there are two full 11 man platoons. Nobody plays both ways on offense or defense. Most 4A teams can’t claim that.
Chill, baby.
It’s over.
I know more about Shelby’s players than yourself. If you could understand a full sentence, you would know that I was making light of the teams they play. Little 5’6” 135lb DB schools. 😂 You’re 2A

I know more about Shelby’s players than yourself. If you could understand a full sentence, you would know that I was making light of the teams they play. Little 5’6” 135lb DB schools. 😂 You’re 2A
Now you are having to decipher your own gibberish.
How long have you been at happy hour?
Just stop. We’re done.
Go back to Mallard Creek and figure out how to keep your players there.
Read tomorrow’s Observer sports page. You may learn something.
Or face the fact you are the next Indy, fading into oblivion.
We will wave at you from Raleigh Saturday.
We know you’ll be watching.
You can’t help yourself.

Now you are having to decipher your own gibberish.
How long have you been at happy hour?
Just stop. We’re done.
Go back to Mallard Creek and figure out how to keep your players there.
Read tomorrow’s Observer sports page. You may learn something.
Or face the fact you are the next Indy, fading into oblivion.
We will wave at you from Raleigh Saturday.
We know you’ll be watching.
You can’t help yourself.

Go get’em little guy. Your little dump truck crew failed again . 🤡 GO BACK TO THE 2A BOARD. They're waiting on your trash sale

Last edited:

Bigdadd11103 doesnt play as often as the other characters.

Please visit any of the threads. Keep an eye out for Nepsy7's posts. 704cougardad will magically LIKE it two seconds later. Then pay notice when Blue and Gold22 post, because Nepsy7 LIKES it right away. This is an attempt to make you feel isolated in the corner, as if these four people are actually four different people. My friend, I have some good news for you. This is a group of four characters controlled by a single Master.

Nepsy is my brother.

• Haha
Well I was enjoying reading about some of our football past. Btango always brings great facts about games in the past. You other ones have specific knowledge of the past successes in each of the schools you represent.

But I do not enjoy the constant repetition about one school or any of the other trolling.

The beginning of this thread was educational for some of us that does not know the earlier Charlotte school successes.

And yes multiple screen names are not allowed and I am in investigating those possibilities now.

Well I was enjoying reading about some of our football past. Btango always brings great facts about games in the past. You other ones have specific knowledge of the past successes in each of the schools you represent.

But I do not enjoy the constant repetition about one school or any of the other trolling.

The beginning of this thread was educational for some of us that does not know the earlier Charlotte school successes.

And yes multiple screen names are not allowed and I am in investigating those possibilities now.
Have a meet and greet! I would love to see all of S2V2 characters show up at once.

Thank you, moderator.
We (I) only have one screen name.
I write in the plural because I represent a large family of Shelby Golden Lions fans and they do contribute to what I post.
I have read the posting rules here and abide by them.
What you need to investigate are the vicious and profane posters on this 4A board that attack others here in an attempt to run them off. They do not follow your rules, yet go un addressed.

Thank you, moderator.
We (I) only have one screen name.
I write in the plural because I represent a large family of Shelby Golden Lions fans and they do contribute to what I post.
I have read the posting rules here and abide by them.
What you need to investigate are the vicious and profane posters on this 4A board that attack others here in an attempt to run them off. They do not follow your rules, yet go un addressed.
Dude Stop! You're part of the problem. You and your crew troll the 4A board in a attempt to make your program something it's not. When someone like myself challenges you. You get angry, and go into troll mode. I have no problem trolling you back. :) This is where we end up. This is also why they have a 2A board.

The thread topic here was SC championships. We did not start the thread.
Shelby has a direct connection to a SC Champ this year, and also a direct connection to Gaffney and its past. That was pertinent.
Shelby has absolutely nothing left to prove.
We don’t have to.

We are not the problem here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT