ADVERTISEMENT

Duplin Co. Sports/Kids

Tiger_Pride31

Sep 27, 2008
Year after year as of late, in my opinion high school sports in Duplin County has been dwindling away. Less fan support/parents/alumni/community in stands to support the kids. I take it back to my days in early 90's when stands stayed full of excitement win or lose in all 4 schools. Kids couldn't grow up fast enough to put on their community color uniforms, communities could wait to compete against the other for bragging rights.

I personally with all do Respect think the kids and community aspect has changed because of the coaches. Not at all saying they can't coach but in our tradition rich county somethings are bigger than just winning. Belief that the young man/woman's dreams can come true are lacking. So many head coaches are coming in/out from other places that don't understand our communities and therefore can't reach the parents or kids.

My question: Is it time better to hire head coaches from our communities to get the blood pumping again in our community veins?

Reactions: kenan98
Year after year as of late, in my opinion high school sports in Duplin County has been dwindling away. Less fan support/parents/alumni/community in stands to support the kids. I take it back to my days in early 90's when stands stayed full of excitement win or lose in all 4 schools. Kids couldn't grow up fast enough to put on their community color uniforms, communities could wait to compete against the other for bragging rights.

I personally with all do Respect think the kids and community aspect has changed because of the coaches. Not at all saying they can't coach but in our tradition rich county somethings are bigger than just winning. Belief that the young man/woman's dreams can come true are lacking. So many head coaches are coming in/out from other places that don't understand our communities and therefore can't reach the parents or kids.

My question: Is it time better to hire head coaches from our communities to get the blood pumping again in our community veins?

Same thing going on at SWO. Sad days my brother

Reactions: Tiger_Pride31

Don't think so. Communities need to step up. Support coaches with the kids. Blame it on the coaches all you want and see what happens. Starts at home and faith. We are lost in communities for the most part.

Every time there are issues, people want to blame others. We all need to take responsiblity first and foremost and then work together for the good of these kids. Kids need faith, discipline, and told what to do and parents that trust teachers and coaches to mentor their kids. My parents were great. Got my core values from them and faith. Kids need to be taught to think independently and not follow strangers from media sights and related outlets.

Looks like we lost 3 kids to another school this week. Do you really think this school has these kids best interest in mind. No is the answer. These kids grew up here with these kids and now leaving. Someone told me once that they commiting football suicide. I wish them well,but those decisions most kids that age shouldn't make those decision. My father told my mom one " no more". What he meant was mom not bailing me out with rent,car payments anymore. I soon learned to take responsiblity for my actions and myself. I was 25 years old. Most of these kids need people that really love them making these decisions for them and some tough love.

Looks like we lost 3 kids to another school this week. Do you really think this school has these kids best interest in mind. No is the answer. These kids grew up here with these kids and now leaving. Someone told me once that they commiting football suicide. I wish them well,but those decisions most kids that age shouldn't make those decision. My father told my mom one " no more". What he meant was mom not bailing me out with rent,car payments anymore. I soon learned to take responsiblity for my actions and myself. I was 25 years old. Most of these kids need people that really love them making these decisions for them and some tough love.

Very true.

Lemme guess HCA??

Damn shame. In my day you ride or die with your community on the field. Same kids at 7 play highschool ball together at 18

Every time there are issues, people want to blame others. We all need to take responsiblity first and foremost and then work together for the good of these kids. Kids need faith, discipline, and told what to do and parents that trust teachers and coaches to mentor their kids. My parents were great. Got my core values from them and faith. Kids need to be taught to think independently and not follow strangers from media sights and related outlets.

I agree with getting it at home but through the years mostly early 2000's, our community families started being heavily one parent household's with just mom playing both roles. Lack of fathers or father figures in a majority of their lives so they've not seen or been shown how to grow up, to be dedicated to something, to be accountable as a young Man. It's been getting worse yearly all over.

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
I agree with getting it at home but through the years mostly early 2000's, our community families started being heavily one parent household's with just mom playing both roles. Lack of fathers or father figures in a majority of their lives so they've not seen or been shown how to grow up, to be dedicated to something, to be accountable as a young Man. It's been getting worse yearly all over.

Sad days brother, keep ya head up

Are you speaking of each district in the county or one in particular? If I remember correctly, you were on here earlier in the year voicing displeasure about a basketball coach at one of the high schools.

Just my opinion, but I think the football teams/programs in this county are very blessed to have a Kevin Motsinger, Battle Holley, Hugh Martin and Will Clark working with these kids.

Reactions: kenan98 and dogs79
Are you speaking of each district in the county or one in particular? If I remember correctly, you were on here earlier in the year voicing displeasure about a basketball coach at one of the high schools.

Just my opinion, but I think the football teams/programs in this county are very blessed to have a Kevin Motsinger, Battle Holley, Hugh Martin and Will Clark working with these kids.[/QUOTE/

Like I said before no disrespect to any of the coaches! I think they all can coach football and can Win!! But some things are bigger than football and just saying I won a game in my opinion. I'm sure when you graduated from whichever community back then it was for the love of the game and beliefs/support in the community. I too played for those same reasons in mine.

When I was younger it was all about one now that I'm older and have relatives in all I look at the county as a whole. I love to hear anything positive about my county! I personally believe we have just as good of athletes as anywhere in the entire state. And for the most part it's done with less ( No YMCA's, Golds Gym, Planet Fitness, Pools, all access ball gyms and etc! ) Most areas have something

I ask alot if our kids(mostly athletes) from all over our county almost daily 2 questions:

What is your Dream and Where do you see yourself after school? 90% have the same answer: i've never thought about it. And that and that alone hurts me to my core for our communities. Not meaning any disrespect to anyone, just hoping for our youth to have a dream other than to settle to be in House of Raeford, Villari Food, Butterball or the streets! I've had an have plenty of family and friends in there so again no disrespect! Just not a fan of just settling or accepting one can't do alot better.

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
I disagree wholeheartedly that we may not have the right men in coaching in our county. I personally know 3 of the 4 men you speak of and i would want my son's to play for any of them, not just because of the sport but because of who they are as people. What i do believe is that the world we live in is vastly different and values overall are very different as well. You certainly can't put any of that blame on any coach, anywhere. Once again, if we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.

I disagree wholeheartedly that we may not have the right men in coaching in our county. I personally know 3 of the 4 men you speak of and i would want my son's to play for any of them, not just because of the sport but because of who they are as people. What i do believe is that the world we live in is vastly different and values overall are very different as well. You certainly can't put any of that blame on any coach, anywhere. Once again, if we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.

I know all 4 and talk with all 4 alot through different endeavors. I trust all 4 and 2 of them I have eaten dinner with in the last 4 weeks! And again, read back I never said they couldn't coach or weren't good people! But they even acknowledged that some things are too deep to feel if you didn't grow into it. Example our Duplin Co football rivalries start as youth competing against each district and runs thru middle school to high school and bleed into older ages. But if you're not from here you really can't feel that deep will to want to see your school on top when JK vs WRH, WRH vs ED, ED vs JK! Just as I can say I can relate to SWO vs Richlands, SWO vs Jacksonville etc but I can't feel what it means because I didn't come up in it.

Again this is not a negative topic, it's just conversation. So I'm not saying you're wrong at all. Two people can have a difference of opinion and still care the same.

Reactions: UNC91
In my opinion, and it's just an opinion, it's a generational thing in the end. From hiring younger people today, i can definitely say that you can tell a very distinct difference. It's concerning to say the least. What used to be important, isn't necessarily important anymore. What was generally expected, shouldn't necessarily be expected anymore. Shortcuts seem to be much more the norm, than hard work and dedication.

Hey the transfer thing that everyone is talking about, kids leaving to go here or there being a problem. Well when you have school choice or one political party pushing school choice, charter schools , for profit schools what did you expect. Back in the day you could not leave but schools were overall better and sports were better. So you got what you got. Plus you have mom and dad thinking that school A has greener pastures than the home school. These two factors have destroyed local schools and the local school feel

I know all 4 and talk with all 4 alot through different endeavors. I trust all 4 and 2 of them I have eaten dinner with in the last 4 weeks! And again, read back I never said they couldn't coach or weren't good people! But they even acknowledged that some things are too deep to feel if you didn't grow into it. Example our Duplin Co football rivalries start as youth competing against each district and runs thru middle school to high school and bleed into older ages. But if you're not from here you really can't feel that deep will to want to see your school on top when JK vs WRH, WRH vs ED, ED vs JK! Just as I can say I can relate to SWO vs Richlands, SWO vs Jacksonville etc but I can't feel what it means because I didn't come up in it.

Again this is not a negative topic, it's just conversation. So I'm not saying you're wrong at all. Two people can have a difference of opinion and still care the same.
Why dont you just come out and say what you want to say and address the problem as you see it. You say above "but if you're not from here" well, 2 of the current head coaches in the county are not "from here". Then again, I am "not from here" so maybe I dont understand. You are a JK fan according to another post I saw. Do you have issues with the JK staff? Do you have the same issues with other coaches you did with the basketball coach at JK? Spit it out and stop saying a lot but really saying nothing. I think you read some of the SWO poster thoughts on days gone by and decided you felt the same way.

In my opinion, and it's just an opinion, it's a generational thing in the end. From hiring younger people today, i can definitely say that you can tell a very distinct difference. It's concerning to say the least. What used to be important, isn't necessarily important anymore. What was generally expected, shouldn't necessarily be expected anymore. Shortcuts seem to be much more the norm, than hard work and dedication.

I like that assessment 100%

Why dont you just come out and say what you want to say and address the problem as you see it. You say above "but if you're not from here" well, 2 of the current head coaches in the county are not "from here". Then again, I am "not from here" so maybe I dont understand. You are a JK fan according to another post I saw. Do you have issues with the JK staff? Do you have the same issues with other coaches you did with the basketball coach at JK? Spit it out and stop saying a lot but really saying nothing. I think you read some of the SWO poster thoughts on days gone by and decided you felt the same way.

Yes I have issue with my Basketball coach and will continue too when you make a comment to me and another about kids in my area that are derogatory but you want to be in a position over them! But that's another topic for another day not for this site! My issue and will continue to be is the our youth being put in a position to have a chance to succeed! And it will continue to be until I stop breathing while I lay my head down in the county I love!

Thats great, but you still are dodging the issue you have. Not hard to read between the Iines and innuendo in your posts.

To me, we are the choices we make. Yes, this generation of high school kids is different, but so was mine and probably yours too. You asked the question about changing coaches due to what I guess is your perception of maybe a lack of involvement in their kids day to day activities or possibly their guidance. This is a football board so one could surmise that your question is not being directed at the ladies tennis coach or the head of the student council.

Just say it and move on dude.

Reactions: dogs79
Thats great, but you still are dodging the issue you have. Not hard to read between the Iines and innuendo in your posts.

To me, we are the choices we make. Yes, this generation of high school kids is different, but so was mine and probably yours too. You asked the question about changing coaches due to what I guess is your perception of maybe a lack of involvement in their kids day to day activities or possibly their guidance. This is a football board so one could surmise that your question is not being directed at the ladies tennis coach or the head of the student council.

Just say it and move on dude.

No dodging here, why couldn't it be coaching cross the board but since you only care about football lets hit facts.

Stats per public school review as well as on niche

JK - athletes only 32% are proficient in reading, 5% in math
School as a whole: 20 - 24% reading, 30 - 34% math

ED - 40% in reading, 1% in math
School - 36% reading, 33% math

N.Duplin - 47% reading, 28% math
School - 47% reading, 32% math

WRH - 27% reading, 5% math
School - 25 - 29% reading, 15 - 19% math

All bottom half of state for overall proficiency. But being put on the field just to compete is the only thing sounds like to you and once football is over then on to the next. What happened to being put in tutoring etc before the coach would suit you up on Friday nights? But you and I can agree to disagree and move on to another subject Like who's in the best shape to win conference this season if or when it happens.

Reactions: dogs79
No. I’d be willing to argue there aren’t many counties in the state that are blessed with the head coaches Duplin County has. The only thing that has changed is less and less kids every year feel like putting forth the effort on the field and in the classroom. The coaches do everything in their power to go above and beyond the call of duty. God knows they don’t get paid hardly anything for the time they put into it and then when they lose on Friday night they get crucified. Coach can only do so much!

I see the same thing happening in the western part of the state. The older coaches retire or have the rules changed by the state and county. Young coaches come in with different approaches. The kids themselves have a completely different mindset. The "what's in it for me" attitude is much more prevalent now than in my days in high school.

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
I have tremendous respect for all the football coaches in Duplin county. To teach in this area with the economic and other challenges they face on a daily basis and to have the success that each has had is tremendous. What they do with limited facilities and large districts is amazing. Duplin currently has the 2nd most cases of Covid-19 in the eastern part of the state. Wayne (which borders Duplin to the north) has the most cases. I am afraid this will impact the decisions made by the local board further delaying football related activities in this area.

Again, I think the county is very fortunate in so many ways to have the four men leading the four programs.

No dodging here, why couldn't it be coaching cross the board but since you only care about football lets hit facts.

Stats per public school review as well as on niche

JK - athletes only 32% are proficient in reading, 5% in math
School as a whole: 20 - 24% reading, 30 - 34% math

ED - 40% in reading, 1% in math
School - 36% reading, 33% math

N.Duplin - 47% reading, 28% math
School - 47% reading, 32% math

WRH - 27% reading, 5% math
School - 25 - 29% reading, 15 - 19% math

All bottom half of state for overall proficiency. But being put on the field just to compete is the only thing sounds like to you and once football is over then on to the next. What happened to being put in tutoring etc before the coach would suit you up on Friday nights? But you and I can agree to disagree and move on to another subject Like who's in the best shape to win conference this season if or when it happens.
You can't put that blame on the coaches, believe me these coaches do all they can concerning their guys with their school work. The problem now is we need better teachers in this area, and we need more parents involved. And that my friend, isn't going to happen, kids now, do whatever they want to do.

It is strange to see some of the kids leaving these schools with such rich football tradition. I agree with some of the points about it being because of a new generation. We are living in very strange times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT