ADVERTISEMENT

Dudley Files 2nd Appeal

blindref73

Oct 27, 2014
The denial today was from the Executive Committee. Dudley has appealed that ruling to the full board. What do they hope to change?
This post was edited on 11/12 12:59 PM by blindref73

Nothing rule is simple... A Jr cannot play both JV and Varsity. 8 quarter rule does not apply.

NCHSAA has received Dudley's notice of appeal. 23 Member Board of Directors will hear conference call appeal. Similar schedule to today. Still hope.

I know someone who knows someone who is on the board. If Dudley will agreed to retroactively forfeit the last game they play last year;; I will call someone who knows someone and put in good word for them. I will urge someone who know someone to allow Dudley to play this year.
cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Scots Booster:
I know someone who knows someone who is on the board. If Dudley will agreed to retroactively forfeit the last game they play last year;; I will call someone who knows someone and put in good word for them. I will urge someone who know someone to allow Dudley to play this year.
cool.r191677.gif
If they keep pushing this with the NCHSAA you may get that deal. Don't put it past them to get upset and decide to look at Dudley's entire 2014 season and 2013 season. If they do, will they find any infractions? What could potentially happen if they do? Wins vacated and championship stripped? I would be very careful if I were Dudley. Hopefully their kitchen is clean?

Originally posted by portcity FB:
If the kid played, What would Dudley have to say or do to get this overturned?
They have already admitted to the infraction but in listening to the interview today Davis is claiming that there is conflicting rules. The only reason to try and go to court would be for the judge to determine which rule supersedes the other. I am unfamiliar with any rule that would be in conflict with the JR's cant play twice in a week rule.

Originally posted by Blue and Gold22:
Originally posted by portcity FB:
If the kid played, What would Dudley have to say or do to get this overturned?
They have already admitted to the infraction but in listening to the interview today Davis is claiming that there is conflicting rules. The only reason to try and go to court would be for the judge to determine which rule supersedes the other. I am unfamiliar with any rule that would be in conflict with the JR's cant play twice in a week rule.
Thanks. I can't think of one either.

This is so over! If this was any team with a losing record or an 16 seed team we all would not bother! This coach knew this and as mentioned before needs to be careful here! He could loose a lot more then the play offs from this year! Ignorance does not have a place at the table! Swallow your pride and do the right thing! Quit blaming Your ignorance on the rest of the football world!
Mom always said be careful what you wish for you just may get it!! As we say in the Bern NEXT please !!!

I just watched the entire press conference on News & Record website. This is starting to smell REALLY fishy. There are too many questions that have not been asked by reporters and answers that have been given thus far just don't add up. The stories have changed too many times with each media appearance. One of the reporters started to push and then backed off She even stated this doesn't make sense.

It seems like most people are missing the point with Dudley. The players were ineligible so the game should be forfeited... That is an open and shut case. As I see it the really big deal is the inequity of the rule that kicks you out of the playoff's if the brackets have been set and a team's seeding changes.

Let's look at two possible scenarios that could have played out this post season.

Suppose McDowell played an illegal payer in their last game and and it was not noticed until Monday. Regardless they are a 16 seed so there would be no reseeding required and apparently no disqualification from the playoffs.

Now suppose the same thing happened with Terry Sanford. Since they lost the draw with Corinth-Holders, their seeding would not change, so they would not have been disqualified, Now suppose they had won the draw; then they would have been disqualified from the playoffs based on the luck of the draw.

So... In games 1-10, an illegal player in just 1 game costs you the game... If you still qualify for the playoffs, you're still in. If you have the illegal player in game 11, you must discover and self report within 12 hours or face disqualification from the playoffs However, if you are lucky enough that your seeding doesn't change which could depend on you losing a multi-team draw, all you have to worry about is the fine.

If I am a judge hearing this case, I am asking Davis Whitfield in what universe does this sound like a fair and equitable punishment.

That is an outstanding point and very true. The rule is ...forfeited contests cause an adjustment in its record AND seed.
If you change that to.... forfeited contests cause an adjustment in its record OR seed, then that argument is invalid.

Looks like the NCHSAA needs to rewrite that rule next season.

But, there is no way the NCHSAA can redraw the pairings on Mon. because this would not be fair to all the coaches who have spent all weekend preparing for their Fri. opponent. I would however like to see a team in this situation be fined, plus they have to play all their games on the road and their HC suspended from the playoffs (both the games they play as well as the practices).

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
But, there is no way the NCHSAA can redraw the pairings on Mon. because this would not be fair to all the coaches who have spent all weekend preparing for their Fri. opponent. I would however like to see a team in this situation be fined, plus they have to play all their games on the road and their HC suspended from the playoffs (both the games they play as well as the practices).
Not saying they need to redraw the pairings... just pointing out that it is ridiculous to penalize teams differently based on the timing and seeding.

Unfortunately this happens every day probably every minute. Kids are affected by immoral or bad decisions made by adults sport or no sport. This is real life and when you make a bad choice you have to accept the consequences fair or unfair. You guys can come up with as many scenarios as you waft but your wasting your time.

Has it ever been clearified if this was just a one game infraction? Been at work most of the day so i had not really been able to see much on this situation lately?

Did Dudley self-report this? Because if thats the case, knowing the rule about infractions following finalization of the brackets, what was the expected outcome? I feel like at this point theres too many questions and very few facts out there

Who knows. First I read that SE reported it. Then I read that Dudley self reported. This is becoming a he said she said affair. As far as I am concerned I don't care who reported it on Mon. the fact still remains that Dudley broke the rule and they have to suffer the consequences. If it is a bad rule (which I think it is) then all the coaches need to get together and have it changed for next year. My recommendation is do not allow them a home game, give their opponents all the gate receipts, and do not allow the HC, AD and Principal at any practices and games during the playoffs. That way you punish the adults and not the kids.

I am good with no home games or playoff money. I think one week for the coach would be fair.

I love my community for fighting for the boyz we are not running away from a rule we broke we are simply fIght in for the kids right to play
the punishment doesn't meet the crime and you guys know it screw the rule think of the kids
a 1 game forfeit ok but don't take the playoffs if u agree with them taking the playoffs then to me you would agree with the death penalty for a ticket going 5 miles over the speeding limit sober

I really hate it for the kids, but they aren't the first to suffer because of the rules in high school sports. What makes these kids different. I'm sure the parents and coaches of those other kids don't think much different. Dudley had plenty of time they could of self reported Friday or Saturday before the brackets was finalized. Why is so many looking over that. They didn't have to wait till Monday. And the only reason they reported was because it was brought to their attention from an outside source. That's BS, He knew but wasn't going to report it. That's clear. Also, his stories have change and not adding up. And if he didn't know he dressed 4 jr's Friday was a violation, even more reason to fire him. That's part of being the chief, leader, head coach. Know the rules. No one is fighting for the other teams that had to forfeit this year, all because of one kid or coaches. It cause one team the playoffs. In this case people want to let the kids play but, punish the coach by not letting him coach. Okay if you do that, then let albermale get their wins back but suspend the coach and or kid that violated the rule. Don't you think those kids are upset just as well knowing one or 2 people ended their season. It's no different just because they are powerhouse Dudley. We are gonna teach our kids rules are okay to break because they can be bent. If he would of self reported like he was suppose to in time instead of trying to hide it, the. The kids would be playing tomorrow. Don't blame the NCHSAA, blame coach Davis. He blew your season Dudley fans. I have a good feeling this wasn't the first time he done some cheating.

Originally posted by whatsmynameboy:
. I have a good feeling this wasn't the first time he done some cheating.
Cheating?? really dude?? Dudley didnt cheat they are better than SEG, coach was wrong to dress 4 jv players, but does that make im a cheater. Were those 4 players starters on varsity?? Dude give it a rest. Sounds like everyone is afriad of Dudley being in the playoffs

Originally posted by Champ_24:

Originally posted by whatsmynameboy:
. I have a good feeling this wasn't the first time he done some cheating.
Cheating?? really dude?? Dudley didnt cheat they are better than SEG, coach was wrong to dress 4 jv players, but does that make im a cheater. Were those 4 players starters on varsity?? Dude give it a rest. Sounds like everyone is afriad of Dudley being in the playoffs
That's not the point champ, its playing by the rules....................
Im pretty sure the team here would love to do it again but it appears Dudley has ended all chance of that..

While the road to a state championship is definitely easier not having to go thru Dudley, I would think the winning team would not want to feel like their win has an asterisk by it because a team was ruled ineligible. So in that case, I would say the teams in the field who actually have a shot to win it do NOT want to see Dudley eliminated.

In regards to cheating, this did not create a competitive advantage. I don't think anyone would question that. So by your definition of cheating, this doesn't qualify. But everyone involved has agreed that they broke a rule, so technically they did cheate, they just didn't gain anything from it. Don't get bent out of shape over the negative conotation of the word cheating and let that distract you from what's actually going on. This is obviously a high profile issue because of who is involved (I highly doubt it would be given a second thought if a bottom seed had been disqualified). Emotions are running high and there has been some confusion over the facts of who knew what and when and whether this is an 8 qtr rule or Jr rule and motives behind the actions taken and on and on. Again, stay focused on the actual issue at hand.

The issue here is fairness and precedent. The rule was put in place to protect the players and protect the integrity of the game. Since there is the potential to gain a competitive advantage by allowing juniors to play on Thu and Fri nights, it must be enforced across the board. Just because you don't gain an advantage by breaking the rule, doesn't mean you are exempt from the consequences. Changing the previously written rules and consequences sets a precedent that will only lead to more confusion in the future over other issues that will certainly arise.

Here is the point: If the coach didn't know, that is his fault. If he did and chose to break it anyway, that is his fault. All of the other speculation about whether or not he would have self-reported if SEG hadn't brought it up is totally subjective. We will never know at this point if he would or wouldn't have. The point is the rule was broken, either out of defiance or ignorance and there is no way around that. While the punishment may be harsh, if the coach and AD had done what they should have, this wouldn't be an issue. No where else to point the finger but them!

The only issue I have is the fact that they would still be allowed to play if their seed would not have changed by changing their record to 9-1. They cannot control their seeding, it is a luck of the draw in a lot of cases and was so in this case. And while the rule and consequences were written ahead of time to cover this, allowing the order of names drawn out of a hat to determine whether a team is allowed to participate or not is ridiculous! Not sure what the answer is but this definitely leads to inconsistency of consequences for the same infraction and has got to be addressed.

Dudley fans that get on here and cry about this need to grow a set of balls man up and face the facts about this whole thing,and understand the playoffs are gonna go on with you,and maybe try and understand your coach may not be the man you think he is,I don't understand why people act so surprised when something like this happened,look at the world of sports today and how corrupt it is"win at all cost"is the tittle theam,you never fully know somebody 100%,you don't know what their thinking inside their head or what goes on behind closed doors,just because it's Dudley they should let them play? That's BS,just accept it and move on,they shouldn't get special treatment because who they are,it's a severe penalty,but it's a rule that was broken,if this happened to the school I was a fan of I would loose all respect for the program and I wouldn't even go to the games,because lying and cheating is not acceptable under any circumstance period!!!

First cheating gives u an unfair advantege I'm sorry the last 2plays of the game 45sec on the clock is not a unfair advantage
we understand the rule was broken ok take the game away dont take the playoffs the punishment is to cruel
please don't hate on us because our community cares just think about this just yrs ago African Americans were not able to sit in the front of public and school buses somebody had to stand for that to change all I'm saying is the punishment don't meet the crime

This post was edited on 11/13 11:51 AM by DHS06CENTER69

I'm black and stand behind the NCHSAA decisions. Plus, seems like Dudley should have left well-enough alone. The NCHSAA are looking into possible other violations thru out the season.

I agree dhs. No question Dudley broke a rule, but the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Only way I'll change my tune is if something else comes out on the matter, like some are speculating

Punctuation. Learn how to use it, it is your friend.Please do not try to compare Dudley getting caught in a rules violation
to the Civil Rights Movement. That is the dumbest crap I have ever seen
on here, and I have read posts by Swett2Victory.

Looks like more trouble coming for DHS. All this argument for them to be in the playoffs might really be worthless now.

"In the process of the appeal Thursday and questions to Dudley officials about the situation, additional information was revealed indicating there could be other violations which occurred during the season. Additional follow up will occur between the NCHSAA and Dudley."

Situation not completely over........

Damn Dudley. Really screwed up my 4A bracket there. Anybody else have then winning the whole thing?

This is so sad for the Kids!, I agree punishment was severe, and I also know that the rule was plainly stated!, so I can't fault the NCHSAA for standing firm! Everyone can learn from this and move forward. I am going to get geared up and enjoy this post-season!, this Thread has gotten way off base with comments of recent! Done with it!

I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody made a comment about race,I think it's time to lock ALL Dudley threads on every message board!!! SMDH!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT