ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Drama as always

I would predict more fireworks by the end of the day tomorrow. Could possibly be delayed to the end of game 3 in the second round since there are some bye's, but history shows there will be more problems. Regarding this situation with Post 240, who knows how clear it was communicated to those involved about legal games under the new structure. Funny how decisions are made that people do not have the authority or latitude within the rules to make. Just for the record, that can be accurate for coaches, AD's and Legion officials. I've seen it applicable to all three in the past. There are so many issues involved with this scenario. Where they saving pitchers due to the pitching restrictions? The rulebook can't be cherry picked from any direction. Adjusting the penalty based upon the entire situation is something I agree with by implementing accountable discretion, overlooking rules or situations is not acceptable ever in my opinion. Post 240 has to beat everyone to win the state championship, so take your lumps and use it to motivate the kids.

Reactions: Hon Dines
A team can't just decide to bend the rules based on weather or any other reason. Post 240 could have played one 7 inning game and postponed the 2nd game of the DH and rescheduled it for a later date if weather was an issue (like other teams have done throughout this season). But they chose to play 5 innings games. They did this to themselves. The penalty is justified in my opinion. Instead of complaining about the ruling messing up your fine season, continue your fine season by showing the other teams how far you can go in the playoffs (where it really counts).

Last edited:
According to the account by the 240 coach the umpires were involved in the discussion and decision to play the 5 inning games. The umpires were in the wrong and probably should be reprimanded in some way.

One other point...Maiden claims they were concerned about being able to get a postponed game rescheduled in their heavy schedule. They were finished with all their division games Monday night leaving at least 3 days available for possible make up games, if needed. So that excuse doesn't fly.

need to change the North Carolina rule book next year , were all game is NC have to been 9 innings. regular season and playoff ,

The NC Rulebook needs to stay exactly where it is......the TRASH CAN. Not enough people know that the Departments (each state's ruling committee) can ONLY change recruiting rules to make them more strict. If you can only make the recruiting rules more strict, you only penalize the state champion when they compete outside the state in regionals and the world series so that is why I say NC never needs another state rulebook. Lots of us were lied to for a long time about the NC rulebook. The latitude or option to play 9 inning games in the regular season is clarified in the National Rulebook. That's the reason each state can choose or not currently until the playoffs. The power to do something is not the same as having the authority to do something. Power means you have the guts to do it; authority gives you the regulatory foundation in this case the rulebook to support the action. Ability and authority to make a decision has nothing to do with the likelihood of making the right one. Feelings and emotions are normally counterproductive to achieving the right decision. If we don't like a rule or ruling, go through the proper channels to change it. We must adapt to a changing environment and diligently work to make it better! Legion baseball is currently a tug of war with so many people pulling in so many different directions that the rope looks more like a stock chart than a straight line. As always, we need less reporters of what happened and more people willing to step up and do something. Happy 4th folks!! Two forces have sacrificed for your freedom; the soldier fought for your freedom on the earth, and Jesus gave all for your hope in eternity. Hope you trust and realize that both of those are true today!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT