ADVERTISEMENT

Does this open it up for ESPN games against out of state teams?

I was surprised when I was able to watch on Thursday. I don't know what the new rule says, but the broadcast displayed three more games this season and they said they were looking to expand next season.

I need help with Raleigh/Durham area but Asheville Shelby Crest Mallard Creek Butler and Havelock should go on ESPN.

If Tuscola vs. Pisgah is not televised, then as much as I love this, it is a joke. JMO.

Yea high school games should not be on local TV live. New Bern sometimes has cable do their games but its shown the next day. If a game is scheduled out of state as this thread was started about then I have no problem with it. If they want to broadcast a game then pay the school what their largest gate was the year before.

The NCHSAA did a deal with its main sponsor, Time Warner Cable, to allow them to broadcast a limited number of regular season games live this season. Areas that are not in the Time Warner footprint are allowed to work with the local cable sponsor or television station. They have regulations set up but this was allowed so that all areas had the same opportunity.

The out of state games can be telecast but not on live television, it must be tape delayed. I have been told if the game is not played on Friday that may be lifted. The problem is that the cable networks are not very interested in high school football except for Fridays once the college season starts.

I have been to several games that were nationally televised and I would say a few of them had as good or better crowds than would have normally attended. Also, there is a lot more enthusiasm and pagentry. A lot of school spirit is shown. Byrnes at Gaffney along with a few home games for Byrnes and two on the road and a couple of other schools.

I think the NCHSAA should allow schools to play on national tv live but they do need to regulate television whether local or national.

Reactions: mbdfan
The NCHSAA did a deal with its main sponsor, Time Warner Cable, to allow them to broadcast a limited number of regular season games live this season. Areas that are not in the Time Warner footprint are allowed to work with the local cable sponsor or television station. They have regulations set up but this was allowed so that all areas had the same opportunity.

The out of state games can be telecast but not on live television, it must be tape delayed. I have been told if the game is not played on Friday that may be lifted. The problem is that the cable networks are not very interested in high school football except for Fridays once the college season starts.

I have been to several games that were nationally televised and I would say a few of them had as good or better crowds than would have normally attended. Also, there is a lot more enthusiasm and pagentry. A lot of school spirit is shown. Byrnes at Gaffney along with a few home games for Byrnes and two on the road and a couple of other schools.

I think the NCHSAA should allow schools to play on national tv live but they do need to regulate television whether local or national.
Your idea makes a lot of sense, I can see where a live feed locally would definitely hurt attendance. Still, Crest vs Apopka (FL) has a nice ring to it (or any of several other of our premier schools against out of state programs).

Most schools do not get any money from ESPN when they televise. The first Byrnes game on tv back in 2005 required the gate go to ESPN. Over 11,000 paid $10 a head. ESPN covered the cost for the visiting team but Byrnes boosters covered a lot of the meals. Byrnes turned it into an all day affair starting at 9am and made a bundle on food, clothing, and programs.

Crest may be willing to play Apopka but I doubt that game is very enticing to Apopka.

There are schools that will pay a team to come play them but it may not cover the cost. Byrnes decided it was worth it to give up the gate to get on national tv and it was an event. Probably a wise move long term for them but they have some a huge booster budget that most schools cannot compete with.

On paper the My40 games aren't that good and except for the first one last week, I believe all the rest have at least one Buncombe County team playing in it. The agreement is for the games to be played on Thursdays at 7:00 pm so as not to conflict with any other varsity games. It is only for the month of October. My understanding is that My40 is willing to take a look at it after the season to see if making it a weekly event will work. The school gets $500 for any missed revenue.

What ended up happening last week with the Polk-Mitchell game turning into a wonderful, down to the end barn burner was a pleasant surprise for everyone involved. The game was surprisingly well produced with multiple camera angles and appeared to be in HD.
Way better than some of those games they've broadcast from North Greenville College nee' University in the past.

If they could all end up like Polk-Mitchell, I'd say they'll stick with it.

I dont think it would hurt to televise a high school game. They're televised often in other states and has not hurt attendance at all. Alot of high school alumni are interested in watching their school play but may not live anywhere close by to go to the game(many of them stream where/how they can). Watching a high school game live is always more exciting than on TV so I highly doubt that would stop anyone from actually going to the game. The emotion around the stadium is usually lost in a broadcast anyway so I don't agree with the notion that it would hurt gates.

Hey guys - just wanted to toss in my two cents.

First, about the whole ESPN thing. ESPN usually picks games that feature a fair amount of players on their rankings list. If you don't have numerous players on their list, or your opponent doesn't - don't expect to get a call from them anytime soon for a national broadcast.

Second - Florida teams would probably be open to a game I'm sure, it's just most of us don't know many of you guys. We hear NC and we think Vance, Mallard Creek, and a couple others maybe. Not many know of the schools like those that were mentioned above.

With that said, the whole reason I've been hanging around this board quietly the past month or so is that there is one South Florida team that is seeking OOS teams to add to its schedule (that I have a tie to) and I have had my eye on NC (among a couple other places) for a while. I'm really interested in the mountains area (Asheville, Brevard - that whole area) and somewhat Charlotte. The team (to remain nameless for now) is a team that has a legitimate shot to win states every year. They aren't scared to play anyone and this year alone have knocked off some of Florida's finest and came so close to knocking off a couple others.

With that said - anyone have any good suggestions from the areas I mentioned?

Hey guys - just wanted to toss in my two cents.

First, about the whole ESPN thing. ESPN usually picks games that feature a fair amount of players on their rankings list. If you don't have numerous players on their list, or your opponent doesn't - don't expect to get a call from them anytime soon for a national broadcast.

Second - Florida teams would probably be open to a game I'm sure, it's just most of us don't know many of you guys. We hear NC and we think Vance, Mallard Creek, and a couple others maybe. Not many know of the schools like those that were mentioned above.

With that said, the whole reason I've been hanging around this board quietly the past month or so is that there is one South Florida team that is seeking OOS teams to add to its schedule (that I have a tie to) and I have had my eye on NC (among a couple other places) for a while. I'm really interested in the mountains area (Asheville, Brevard - that whole area) and somewhat Charlotte. The team (to remain nameless for now) is a team that has a legitimate shot to win states every year. They aren't scared to play anyone and this year alone have knocked off some of Florida's finest and came so close to knocking off a couple others.

With that said - anyone have any good suggestions from the areas I mentioned?

I would look at Asheville. Many area teams will not schedule them for non-conference games and Coach Wilkins doesn't seem to be afraid to play anyone, anywhere. They have a beautiful setting for their stadium too. The old campus of AHS is very stately. Erwin played a killer n/c schedule this year against schools from Tenn. and Ga. Reynolds could be an option also.

Asheville, Erwin, A.C.Reynolds I would think would be up for a game. Also Shelby and Crest high school in Shelby NC. Charlotte Catholic also may be willing.

As far as the Pisgah/ Tuscola game goes. I don't believe it would hurt the game. This years game was on the internet streamed live. The place was packed with thousands watching online. I think it being televised would make it that much bigger.

The live TV ban should have been lifted years ago. My40 has carried games in SC for several seasons and it hasn't hurt those teams any--it's great to see local NC teams get the same treatment this year. The exposure to the kids and interest generated in the programs by TV are big positives. I hope we can get on the ESPN radar. It might even help some kids recruiting. Having been involved in the Asheville TV broadcasts since the early 90s (tape delay per the rules) and live web video the past few years, the coverage has only been positive for the AHS program and live is the next logical step. Watching a screen, like radio, is not the same as being there. Any perceived gate impact is more than made up with the positive PR for the school in my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT