ADVERTISEMENT

Does Forsyth County

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
have too many schools??? There are 2 1A schools Prep and McGuiness 3 2A schools Walkertown, Carver and Atkins, 3 3A schools Parkland, Mt. Tabor North Forsyth, 5 4 A schools West, East, Reagan, RJR, Glenn. Are there too many schools. I can see 9 public schools instead of 12

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Good question. The area where Carver, Atkins, and WS Prep could be a really good 3A school. Bishop is parochial so it should stand alone.

Is Forsyth growing? The surrounding areas of Charlotte and Raleigh are so that is why new schools have emerged.

McGuiness does not really count into the equation and as sammy wrote in the last sentence "public schools".

I am not familiar enough with Forsyth County to know the geographical and logistical situation thoroughly but I do not understand why a county with that population has 1A and 2A schools. I could see it if the school were a specialty magnet school that required equipment and items that may not be practical to have at several schools. This would be classes such as drafting, auto mechanics, and various types of career field educational curriculum that require non typical school items or space. Any other public school should have at least 1,200 students and no school should be built without the ability to house 1,800 plus in the building.

WS Prep is the big head scratcher. Why have a school with a few hundred students that is supposedly a college prepatory academy magnet but does not appear to have very high test scores and academics comparatively. Correct me if I am wrong but that has been the case at times.

Walkertown, Atkins, and Carver are all very close to one another. I think between the three the fartherest distance is six miles between Walkertown and Carver. Those three schools have a total of about 2,500 students. Did Walkertown really need to be opened six or so years ago? Did Atkins need to be opened ten years ago. At least one of those three would make sense to close. With two staying open and students attending another high school that is closer to their home than one of those two it would appear they could close one of those easily and not have a huge capacity burden.

Closing one of the three and WS Prep brings the county to ten public schools. After that I am not versed enough in the area to give any info.

Reactions: sammyk
Here is the information on Atkins.

https://www.journalnow.com/winstons...cle_ea359e50-adf9-11e8-b5ba-d70f859db538.html

I believe Walkertown folks wanted to open a high school in their town. It is quite unusual to have four high schools in this area. It is Carver, Walkertown, Atkins and East Forsyth. WS Prep is not too far from Carver at all. I think WS Prep and Atkins are unusual due to their curriculum. The one that really hurt would be Carver since before Walkertown was built, students would go to Carver or EF. It didn't hurt EF as much as Carver. I think EF did lose about 200 kids or so. (not sure though)

I highly doubt those three would close since Atkins and WS Prep are not like other schools. I think WS Prep has something with Bill Gates "funds" . As you see about Atkins, they are doing quite well and kids there are doing great now and need athletic program to be well rounded students.

Reactions: Veejay4
There are way too many high schools in Forsyth County!!! Carver was a decent sized 3A school with about 1100 before Walkertown, Atkins and Prep were opened. East was overcrowded cause students were choosing to attend rather than attend Carver and Walkertown was the supposed solution. Prep started as a Bill Gates school but it has long since been one. Atkins was built cause on the other side of town Reagan was being built to offset the crowd at North and Mt Tabor and the "black community" wanted something and because the Atkins alums from pre-integration (who still carry a lot of weight) wanted it close to the "old Atkins" (the WS Prep building) So Atkins was built and its 1.5 miles away from Carver. Prep is about 2 miles away from Carver and then Walkertown was built and its about 6 miles away from Carver. All of these schools hit Carvers district hard. Atkins became a magnet (which allowed their principal to sift through their student population and keep who he wanted and discard those he didnt) and their district went to Carver. Right now Carver has 1260 students residential to Carver but it only has 620 students due to school of choice. In the next realignment Carver will be 1A and Atkins maybe 3A. Carver has been systematically attacked and the black community has been divided and conquered in Forsyth County. But Prep, Atkins and Carver would make a decent 3A school.

Absolutely. The politics in the city are trash too. What they've done to Carver is a shame. But it seems like the city is getting what they want with the dwindling population of the school. They won't stop until my alma mater is shut down.

That seems to be the plan Forsyth!! And what they're doing is slowly letting Carver become something that the alums and Csrver community will not want. And when that happens they'll move on Carver the way they did with Atkins stripping the school of its history and traditions!!

Reactions: ForsythCo
Don't look now but the school system has already purchased land for a new High school off Ebert street to help with the population explosion in Clemmons, Lewisville and Pffatown. Clemmons Middle has close to 1300 and Meadow middle has over 1000 students the majority going to West. West Forsyth brought in more than 800 freshman this year . Reagan is a fairly new school and they ran out of room and have to use Trailer/Pods on campus. So we will see how it all plays out.

The word I am hearing is that they plan to make a South Forsyth High School on Ebert. This will divide up Parkland, West and possibly redistrict some Reagan kids. If this happens the New High school would be what Parkland used to be in the 1980's-1990's. West would get some kids back from Reagan and Parkland would go the way of Carver and North Forsyth. Where they need to build a new high school if they need to build on is in Lewisville. That is midway between West Forsyth and Reagan. With West having 2500 kids and Reagan having 2000 kids this would make sense I think

Last edited:
Would it not make more sense to close a couple of small, underperforming schools and redistrict the whole county. Set up magnet programs in the high schools based on facility, geography, logistics, academics, and capacity / enrollment. Could redistricting not be more prudent than building another high school?

Reactions: Champ_24
Would it not make more sense to close a couple of small, underperforming schools and redistrict the whole county. Set up magnet programs in the high schools based on facility, geography, logistics, academics, and capacity / enrollment. Could redistricting not be more prudent than building another high school?

There in lies one of the major reasons why we can't consistently compete with the Meck Co. schools and others consistently.

Our "leadership" in the county has always seemed to play politics as others alluded to. They'd rather hurt Parkland and build S. Forsyth than to disrupt anything with West.

I agree it would make more sense to close a couple schools but they're afraid to upset the apple cart. There is no vision or rhyme or reason for anything done in Forsyth.

I could almost understand if our academics lacked but we're constantly competitive in athletics. We're mediocre at best athletically except Parkland girls track and wherever Atwater coaches wrestling and stink academically as well in comparison to the other larger counties.

It's mind boggling how we keep attracting inept leadership for our schools in this county.

Last edited:
have too many schools??? There are 2 1A schools Prep and McGuiness 3 2A schools Walkertown, Carver and Atkins, 3 3A schools Parkland, Mt. Tabor North Forsyth, 5 4 A schools West, East, Reagan, RJR, Glenn. Are there too many schools. I can see 9 public schools instead of 12
When would a South Forsyth open? Boring name if you ask me.

in two years, when the building is complete,there will be 24 4A schools in Wake County

When would a South Forsyth open? Boring name if you ask me.

South Forsyth is kind of a boring name... I agree... state law requires the school board to name a school, usually as it is being built. Many schools go to the architect’s table with a “project” or “ concept” name and then receive an official name after that. I don’t see the school opening with that name. They should name it Ebert High, so that no one, including many locals will agree on how to pronounce it. :)

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
The word I am hearing is that they plan to make a South Forsyth High School on Ebert. This will divide up Parkland, West and possibly redistrict some Reagan kids.

I'm assuming you're talking about Ebert Road? Isn't there a middle school there as well? Flat Rock or something like that? Does that middle school attend Parkland now?

I'm assuming you're talking about Ebert Road? Isn't there a middle school there as well? Flat Rock or something like that? Does that middle school attend Parkland now?

Yes, there is Flat Rock Middle School and Kimel Farm Elementary. I don’t know the answer to your question about where those schools feed because things are kind of complex in Forsyth. Schools of choice can allow students to go to other schools.

Does anyone have a better explanation of that? I know just enough about it to be dangerous/inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT