ADVERTISEMENT

Does AC Reynolds stand as the all time ultimate powerhouse?

swett2victory

Aug 28, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Florida
83.png

All time? Please...when 2A schools like Shelby can compete, it's hard to say the best of all time. As a crest fan however, I would love to see ACR on the schedule every year...I would also love to see TCR destroyed and a toilet placed on its remains...but we don't always get what we want. The 1999 ACR team was one of the best, that's something to be proud of. ACR has what? 3 state titles? That's something to be proud of. But don't go looking to compare to the shelbys, (and yes, Shelby can and has competed with 4A schools and won) of NC. No school can claim complete dominance...and if they could? What fun would it be? Just enjoy each season as it comes, and be thankful that when ACR rolls into certain stadiums the teams and fans start sweating and worrying...unlike Enka...or TCR...or RS Central.

All time? Please...when 2A schools like Shelby can compete, it's hard to say the best of all time. As a crest fan however, I would love to see ACR on the schedule every year...I would also love to see TCR destroyed and a toilet placed on its remains...but we don't always get what we want. The 1999 ACR team was one of the best, that's something to be proud of. ACR has what? 3 state titles? That's something to be proud of. But don't go looking to compare to the shelbys, (and yes, Shelby can and has competed with 4A schools and won) of NC. No school can claim complete dominance...and if they could? What fun would it be? Just enjoy each season as it comes, and be thankful that when ACR rolls into certain stadiums the teams and fans start sweating and worrying...unlike Enka...or TCR...or RS Central.

Agreed!

I would also love to see TCR destroyed and a toilet placed on its remains...but we don't always get what we want.
lol... poor TCR, at least they're awesome at baseball and the country club sports, even more so now that they're moving back down to 3A.

No school can claim complete dominance...and if they could? What fun would it be?

One can....

"There are no other high school football programs in the state, and only a select few in the entire nation, that have earned the right of being defined as a "dynasty" more than the Shelby Golden Lions. Year in and year out, for more than a century now, the Golden Lions have been the most dominant football force in the State of North Carolina."

www.shelbyhighfootball.com

And, it's a lot of fun!!!

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
One can....

"There are no other high school football programs in the state, and only a select few in the entire nation, that have earned the right of being defined as a "dynasty" more than the Shelby Golden Lions. Year in and year out, for more than a century now, the Golden Lions have been the most dominant football force in the State of North Carolina."

www.shelbyhighfootball.com

And, it's a lot of fun!!!

during the last 4 state championship run Shelby has had...how many of those runs were undefeated? One...there are several teams all over the country that has as many state titles as Shelby if not more. Shelby has the most wins in the state blah blah blah, who's to say if Crest wasn't built when Abraham Lincoln was president how many state titles crest could have. How many of those Shelby championship teams could take on the 4AA champion and win? (We'll never know) is the correct answer...and there for makes your argument invalid. If you want to shut up the doubters and truly claim dominance, then it's time for the lions to nut up or shut up...send them Texas, Florida, Louisiana....etc etc

Reactions: swett2victory
during the last 4 state championship run Shelby has had...how many of those runs were undefeated? One...there are several teams all over the country that has as many state titles as Shelby if not more. Shelby has the most wins in the state blah blah blah, who's to say if Crest wasn't built when Abraham Lincoln was president how many state titles crest could have. How many of those Shelby championship teams could take on the 4AA champion and win? (We'll never know) is the correct answer...and there for makes your argument invalid. If you want to shut up the doubters and truly claim dominance, then it's time for the lions to nut up or shut up...send them Texas, Florida, Louisiana....etc etc
Louisiana is tough?

Louisiana is tough?

In all honesty, I don't know, I got a buddy in the Air Force who went to crest that lives in Louisiana. He checked out a few Friday night games down that way, said that they could stomp some good teams up here. But once again, we'll never truly know.

Oh poor Crestie...I thought you understood football...undefeated? An undefeated run is as much a function of your talent as it is who you play. When you constantly play up one or two classifications, you're probably not gonna be undefeated year in and year out. That is why classifications exist. Imagine North Dakota State competing against the likes of Clemson and Alabama....would they be undefeated? Nope but would they be one of the most dominant football forces in the land well National Championships in '11, '12, '13, '14, and '15 say yes! Again, this is why classes exist...to make the competition fair. But from time to time you do have an App State vs Michigan scenario.

It is ok to be jealous....you guys always have been....and again, that's ok. I have an uncle who played for Shelby in the late 70s go to a Texas high school football game a couple years ago....one of the better and bigger Texas high schools....when he was down that way. He said Crest or Shelby could have easily handled them. He's a pretty good judge of talent.

We'll see what happens in September....

Oh poor Crestie...I thought you understood football...undefeated? An undefeated run is as much a function of your talent as it is who you play. When you constantly play up one or two classifications, you're probably not gonna be undefeated year in and year out. That is why classifications exist. Imagine North Dakota State competing against the likes of Clemson and Alabama....would they be undefeated? Nope but would they be one of the most dominant football forces in the land well National Championships in '11, '12, '13, '14, and '15 say yes! Again, this is why classes exist...to make the competition fair. But from time to time you do have an App State vs Michigan scenario.

It is ok to be jealous....you guys always have been....and again, that's ok. I have an uncle who played for Shelby in the late 70s go to a Texas high school football game a couple years ago....one of the better and bigger Texas high schools....when he was down that way. He said Crest or Shelby could have easily handled them. He's a pretty good judge of talent.

How does Crest match up to the high elite programs in 2017?......I know Crest only made it to the 2nd round last year against West Rowan(What happened?).

Are they King this year or have too many graduated?

How does Crest match up to the high elite programs in 2017?......I know Crest only made it to the 2nd round last year against West Rowan(What happened?).

Are they King this year or have too many graduated?

I hope they are back!!

They have been on an unbelievable run since winning the unified 4A championship in 1994. I bet the 4A guys are glad they got moved back down to 3A....

Okay...classification makes it fair...agreed...Then how in the world is Shelby the greatest program in NC? They might be...but WE WILL NEVER KNOW. The only thing I can give Shelby absolute credit for is that they are the best program in NC in 2A history...but in all classifications? Whose to with 4A numbers, that Shelby would still have defeated the independence, butlers, Richmonds, mallard creeks of NC? Again...WE'LL NEVER KNOW

Okay...classification makes it fair...agreed...Then how in the world is Shelby the greatest program in NC? They might be...but WE WILL NEVER KNOW. The only thing I can give Shelby absolute credit for is that they are the best program in NC in 2A history...but in all classifications? Whose to with 4A numbers, that Shelby would still have defeated the independence, butlers, Richmonds, mallard creeks of NC? Again...WE'LL NEVER KNOW

as a long time rocket fan and alum i believe we have a great football program period. as far as being an all time powerhouse? hmmmm that doesnt take long to figure out.we are not and probably will never be an all time powerhouse. what we are is a great program that year in and year out competes at a high level for a conference championship and hopefully a chance to get deep in the playoffs.we l;ike everyone else would love to win a state championship every year, but it aint going to happen. still we will be battling every friday nite like most all the really good programs around the state and country do. im not sure what the criteria really is to be considered a all time power house. in my mind teams like the independence team that won 6 or 7 titles in a row would be an all time power house of that era. but how long has it been since they won a title? come on man its high school football. every year every school has new players coming in and seniors graduating.no team can win it all every year. aint gonna happen period. you have to admit though and tip your hat to teams like shelby and crest and a few of the big 4a schools and a few of the western 1a schools that seem to be knocking on the door of a state title most every year. just my opinion for what its worth

I have family that play in Texas.. which classification are you referring to? Which big name Texas school are you referring to? I've seen more than a few Texas games. There is no way either would compete in 4A-6A in Texas. Some of those schools have entire defenses that go to Div I. Talent wise, there are whole conferences with 4 Mallard Creeks, a Byrnes, and a Butler in the same conference. At least be specific with your outrageous claims.

The greatest program would be the most accomplished...correct? Not who would beat who....or this 4A school vs this 2A school. Classification doesn't matter when you are choosing the greatest/most accomplished program. Could be a 1A, 2A, 3A, or 4A. Based on what they have accomplished (ie wins, winning percentage, state championships, state championship appearances, conference championships, playoff appearances, playoff winning percentage...etc.) there is no better program than Shelby. That is statistically verified. You really can't argue for or against....you just look at the stat sheet. Most of our history includes 3A....you know....up until 1997. Again this isn't would Shelby beat all the other schools in the state more years than not. The answer to that is of course not....we are a 2A school. Let's say 1A Robbinsville goes 16-0, 2A Shelby goes 16-0, 3A Crest goes 16-0 and 4A Mallard Creek goes 16-0 all winning state championships, who is the better program that year? Well they are all equal programs. MC would more than likely beat Crest and Shelby and Robbinsville but they all accomplished the same thing that given year. The best program would be who has the most accomplishments in the history of the state....again there is only 1 and second is very distant.

If Shelby and Crest combined to make 4A numbers, we would never lose a game. If Shelby had 4A numbers, we would be triple the size we are now....in other words, this past year we would have had 3 Jayden Borders, 3 Dax Hollifields, 3 Darius Clarks, 3 OJ Rosses, 3 Michael Carsons, 3 CJ Rosses, 3 Truck Sims, and 3 Jaylon Scotts. Shelby or even Crest with 4A numbers would be incredible.

I have family that play in Texas.. which classification are you referring to? Which big name Texas school are you referring to? I've seen more than a few Texas games. There is no way either would compete in 4A-6A in Texas. Some of those schools have entire defenses that go to Div I. Talent wise, there are whole conferences with 4 Mallard Creeks, a Byrnes, and a Butler in the same conference. At least be specific with your outrageous claims.

Outrageous?

A&M Consolidated and College Station.

I don't know much about them other than they are 5A I think.

Solid Texas teams in recent years, moreso College Station which has been more consistent, but neither is considered a Texas powerhouse. Their enrollments are probably in the 2,500 range and they are 5A. That area is about 1.5 hours NW of downtown Houston. Those are the best options for a Friday night game if in town to watch A&M. Best high school football in Texas is about 3 plus hours north in the Metroplex and the Houston metro area closing in.

Reactions: Chopper747
Solid Texas teams in recent years, moreso College Station which has been more consistent, but neither is considered a Texas powerhouse. Their enrollments are probably in the 2,500 range and they are 5A. That area is about 1.5 hours NW of downtown Houston. Those are the best options for a Friday night game if in town to watch A&M. Best high school football in Texas is about 3 plus hours north in the Metroplex and the Houston metro area closing in.

He was visiting with some business partners (I believe, maybe some friends) there and one of the guy's sons was a D1 recruit for one of those teams. He said the whole time he was sitting there watching he was thinking to himself Shelby or Crest could easily beat these teams. He said "They get all the hype but not as good a ball at least in the game I saw".

[

Houston metro is expected to make alot of noise in 2017, especially the Katy area with Katy(usual suspect), Cinco Ranch, Katy-Taylor, and one of the Cypress schools(can't remember the full name, there were a few of them).

He was visiting with some business partners (I believe, maybe some friends) there and one of the guy's sons was a D1 recruit for one of those teams. He said the whole time he was sitting there watching he was thinking to himself Shelby or Crest could easily beat these teams. He said "They get all the hype but not as good a ball at least in the game I saw".

Depending on which year how Shelby/Crest would match up with them. I think A&M Consolidated has had some four and five loss teams in recent years and some seasons Shelby/Crest were not as good as others. I think the biggest difference in football between NC and the power states is the play on the line of scrimmage. The linemen overall are light years ahead of NC's.

I have written for years that the best couple of teams from the football power states can play with one another although there would be blowouts, some not suprising and others would be considered big upsets and their would be some dandies you would not expect. The difference is depth of really good teams. A few of the best high school teams I have seen play were from Virginia, Indiana, and Kentucky.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
[

Houston metro is expected to make alot of noise in 2017, especially the Katy area with Katy(usual suspect), Cinco Ranch, Katy-Taylor, and one of the Cypress schools(can't remember the full name, there were a few of them).

Houston metro has picked it up again recently. Katy is loaded up most years. Pearland is another big power in the Houston suburbs as is The Woodlands, North Shore, and Manvel. That is the difference, there best may not be that much better than the best in several states but the depth of really good teams in Texas is astounding.

Reactions: Chopper747
Houston metro has picked it up again recently. Katy is loaded up most years. Pearland is another big power in the Houston suburbs as is The Woodlands, North Shore, and Manvel. That is the difference, there best may not be that much better than the best in several states but the depth of really good teams in Texas is astounding.

I forgot about Woodlands

Yeah Texas is some football religious folks................never been but heard great things about the hype and truth.

Celina is a great smaller school powerhouse. Forget if they're 3A or 4A now, since Texas went to six classes. 1A is 8-man football, I believe.

1A is six man. 2A-6A is 11 man football. All classes subdivide. Texas has about over 1,200 schools that play 11 man football. 120 schools per 11 man championship.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT