ADVERTISEMENT

Death of the NCHSAA?

If they think they can start from scratch in one year with the government bureaucracy in place and be running smooth they are out of their minds. The people talking in Raleigh have no idea how much is involved in day to day and long term planning. There needs to be oversight and some changes but to completely blow it up is a huge mistake.

If they think they can start from scratch in one year with the government bureaucracy in place and be running smooth they are out of their minds. The people talking in Raleigh have no idea how much is involved in day to day and long term planning. There needs to be oversight and some changes but to completely blow it up is a huge mistake.

I don't even think those in Raleigh know that athletic programs are self funded for the most part.

Reactions: davisdorm
Does “private” schools include charter schools? They are as much if not more of a threat than parochial schools. Especially in 1a…
Charters would stay. Kind of interesting that this is happening right after the non-enrollment factors were put in and bumped some charters up a class. 4 parochial schools would be gone.

You’d have a 17-member commission of political appointees basically replacing the NCHSAA. So much for the party of small government.

Charters would stay. Kind of interesting that this is happening right after the non-enrollment factors were put in and bumped some charters up a class. 4 parochial schools would be gone.

You’d have a 17-member commission of political appointees basically replacing the NCHSAA. So much for the party of small government.

Jason Saine was the primary sponsor. He represents Lincoln County. Lincoln Charter was bumped up to 2A. So yeah. It does seem interesting that this happens after some charters got a bump up. Like you said, so much for small government.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
I loathe the NCHSAA for how they have been the past 8 or so years but eliminating it is such a dumb move. I agree with ncball there needs to be new people running it who understands sports. Need at least 1 to be Football literate and friendly among other things. Getting the government involved is flat out dumb.

This may not be happening if the school Reps would have voted to go to 1A thru 5 or 6A as many have wanted for the last 10 or 12 years. The NCHSAA couldn't get the schools to vote on a 1A thru 5A the last vote. 6A was my thoughts. Schools Reps have hung themselves along with the NCHSAA. If the NCHSAA is done away with then they owe the schools all the money they have in reserves.

Reactions: Mopar forever
That's what amazes me everybody accuses R to be anti ED but look at SC. Not many redder states but on the outside looking in, you see new schools being built, raising pay, I saw they were looking at trying to provide every school with a resource officer and nurse. Bus driver and bus monitor pay going up. Again, on the outside looking in but listening to news broadcasts this is what it sounds like. Wish the same conversation was going on in the Old North State.

Agree, and can anyone tell me where all the lottery $$$ from the NC education lottery has gone the last 10 years or so we've had that? I really thought once those funds started flowing to the schools, the infrastructure and teacher pay problems would be solved.....I believe I saw a sign the other day saying the NC lottery has contributed like 8 billion dollars to public education.....seems like nothing has changed to me.

Agree, and can anyone tell me where all the lottery $$$ from NC education has gone the last 10 years or so we've had that? I really thought once those funds started flowing to the schools, the infrastructure and teacher pay problems would be solved.....I believe I saw a sign the other day saying the NC lottery has contributed like 8 billion dollars to public education.....seems like nothing has changed to me.
Similarly, why doesn't NC have HOPE scholarships similar to TN and GA?

Be careful what you wish for. The state is doing a terrible job for public education currently. I encourage everyone to research and pay attention to what is going on in regards to education in the state. You think charters and privates have an advantage now? Let Raleigh run high school sports and see what happens.

Relax old man. Education in this state has never been peak on any scale. Stop being so negative and actually understand what's going on, please.

Agree, and can anyone tell me where all the lottery $$$ from the NC education lottery has gone the last 10 years or so we've had that? I really thought once those funds started flowing to the schools, the infrastructure and teacher pay problems would be solved.....I believe I saw a sign the other day saying the NC lottery has contributed like 8 billion dollars to public education.....seems like nothing has changed to me.

Again, no expert on this deal, just what I was told. NC Lottery was set up and stated that monies raised could only go to education. No specifics attached just to education in NC. SC earmarked their lottery money to supplement parts of ED down there. So over the years NC has moved money that was going into ED in NC to other things and Lottery money takes that money's place. The Lottery starts to fund education instead of being extra to help. This is what I was told and as you look at states around us with education lotteries it seems it would make sense. As a matter of fact, a higher percentage of the lottery goes to ED in NC than SC but it seems SC is doing more with it.

Reactions: heelzfor2
Again, no expert on this deal, just what I was told. NC Lottery was set up and stated that monies raised could only go to education. No specifics attached just to education in NC. SC earmarked their lottery money to supplement parts of ED down there. So over the years NC has moved money that was going into ED in NC to other things and Lottery money takes that money's place. The Lottery starts to fund education instead of being extra to help. This is what I was told and as you look at states around us with education lotteries it seems it would make sense. As a matter of fact, a higher percentage of the lottery goes to ED in NC than SC but it seems SC is doing more with it.
Several years ago, local school systems’ share of lottery money was reduced from 40% to 22%. The rest was used for other things. Typical legislative shell game. Therein lies the answer.

One of the big travesties with the lottery is it can't be be used for any repairs within schools but new brick and morter only. It's a sham and something needs to be done, but it won't until we start holding the NCGA accountable.

In this group of 17 committee, who is going to handle the day to day operations? These committee members will still have their normal jobs.. As a lot of people are saying, YES there are many things that needed to be improved but turning it over to legislation is not the answer. And to those who asked does "private" include the charters, absolutely not the freaking legislation created that problem.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and btango
Que’s que and answers from the Greensboro Record

I am so fed up with people always using the race card. These schools, coaches, and players of all colors play and ignore race. They are more like brothers. My first job out of school was at Proctor Silex and we made toasters, My best friend was a black name, Swanson Jessup. I grow up one block from a black neighborhood and we all got along good, never no name-calling and this was in the mid to late 1950s and 1960s. This was downtown, Mount Airy. We all bleed red and are God's children. I just lost all respect for Que Tucker. If it was about race they would vote her out. This is something that has been boiling long before she took over and as I saw it she was doing as good a job as any that came before her. We all need to get along and stop blaming it on race. Maybe it is just in small towns like Mount Airy that the color of your skin doesn't matter. Crap like what is going on now with the state taking over will just make things worse. If they want to take it away from the NCHSAA then let the major colleges, Duke, NC State, UNC & Wake Forrest set up committees and run it and not the government.

Last edited:
In this group of 17 committee, who is going to handle the day to day operations? These committee members will still have their normal jobs.. As a lot of people are saying, YES there are many things that needed to be improved but turning it over to legislation is not the answer. And to those who asked does "private" include the charters, absolutely not the freaking legislation created that problem.
I think I read, they would hire a full time administrator.

I have been told two. They are going to replace 15? The potential board members have very busy schedules, superintendents, principals, ADs, coaches. How much time do they have to devote to this.

Who is going to handle all the various aspects of the day to day operations. The amount of things taking place in the office daily during the school years is pretty deep. Things you never think about. Go set a week with the guy that runs officiating, Mark Dreibelbis, and tell me that is not a full time position.

At the end of the day I think it boils down to Que pissed off McInnis when he wanted Anson back in the playoffs and that did not happen. That is what made it personal and I believe she has probably not been the most open with their requests.

I am so fed up with people always using the race card. These schools, coaches, and players of all colors play and ignore race. They are more like brothers. My first job out of school was at Proctor Silex and we made toasters, My best friend was a black name, Swanson Jessup. I grow up one block from a black neighborhood and we all got along good, never no name-calling and this was in the mid to late 1950s and 1960s. This was downtown, Mount Airy. We all bleed red and are God's children. I just lost all respect for Que Tucker. If it was about race they would vote her out. This is something that has been boiling long before she took over and as I saw it she was doing as good a job as any that came before her. We all need to get along and stop blaming it on race. Maybe it is just in small towns like Mount Airy that the color of your skin doesn't matter. Crap like what is going on now with the state taking over will just make things worse. If they want to take it away from the NCHSAA then let the major colleges, Duke, NC State, UNC & Wake Forrest set up committees and run it and not the government.
Thats the way it is now. If someone can not defend their actions or job they always pull out the race card.

Welcome to 2021

to @btango point … this thing is personal. explains why it’s been fast-tracked. the commish pissed off the wrong senator.

it’s not just that she said “no” to his request, but it’s more about how she handled the whole thing. many have suggested keep nchsaa but mandate specific changes. mcinnis and others tried to open a dialogue and find a way to work together. que wasn’t having any of it.

HSOT: McInnis/Que Drama

Reactions: BlueVols
Thats the way it is now. If someone can not defend their actions or job they always pull out the race card.

Welcome to 2021

Correct. I was fully expecting it. It’s really her “smartest” play at this point. The ship is going down and she doesn’t have a leg to stand on — might as well throw the hail mary and see what happens.

I also love Que stumping that politics have no business in nc high schools sports, yet she has two lobbyists on the payroll

As of now, it calls for the hiring of a Director and a committee to oversee the appeals process they’re implementing.

With it being housed in the Department of Administration, we might see current employees under that umbrella “shift” and help with day-to-day duties.

It also states that if/when this bill becomes law it won’t be an immediate transition. The NCHSAA will still run the show this school year (minus the power to fine member schools) and the new commission will take control starting the 2022-23 school year.

Does “private” schools include charter schools? They are as much if not more of a threat than parochial schools. Especially in 1a…

a. Classification of all participating schools in the State into one of four athletic divisions based solely on average daily membership. For charter schools, the rules shall classify those schools into the next largest conference than the school would be assigned to based solely on average daily membership.
b. Classification of all participating schools in the State into conferences based solely on geography, division classification, and average daily membership.

all charter schools will move up a class

a. Classification of all participating schools in the State into one of four athletic divisions based solely on average daily membership. For charter schools, the rules shall classify those schools into the next largest conference than the school would be assigned to based solely on average daily membership.
b. Classification of all participating schools in the State into conferences based solely on geography, division classification, and average daily membership.

all charter schools will move up a class
Technically it says they move up a conference, not a division. Which is confusing and needs to be clarified. Does it mean that within divisions there will be conferences of larger schools and smaller schools (ie, if Summit Charter in Jackson County had varsity sports they'd be in the Big Smoky instead of Little Smoky)? But assuming the intent was to bump charters up a division, I think that will make a lot of people happy until their 400 student traditional school plays an 850 student traditional school in the playoffs. Not to mention magnets and schools in open enrollment districts are unaffected.

I would have underlined ‘based solely on average daily membership,’ which would take away the ability to classify on equitable factors. I’m not sure the ones the NCHSAA used this time around were the answer, but I think a lot of people think the population a school can draw from should be factored in, and this seems to preclude that.

Last edited:
I think that will make a lot of people happy until their 400 student traditional school plays an 850 student traditional school in the playoffs. Not to mention magnets and schools in open enrollment districts are unaffected.

I would have underlined ‘based solely on average daily membership,’ which would take away the ability to classify on equitable factors. I’m not sure the ones the NCHSAA used this time around were the answer, but I think a lot of people think the population a school can draw from should be factored in, and this seems to preclude that.
It also may throw the realignment into chaos in 2022. Is it possible that’s what this is really about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT