ADVERTISEMENT

2A Davidson County to have plenty of new coaches next year

Besides being a teacher what qualifications would a coach need to be considered for the position? I see that a lot of coaches are looking for their 1st opportunity to be a head coach. I think a coach should be a teacher in the school to have an opportunity to build a relationship with the students they coach. Also helps with discipline when the coach is on campus. Easier for the teacher/coach to stay on top of grades. Be interesting to see if North goes outside the county for a coach. Did King come from outside they county. I know that Turner Hurt Staten Flynn all came from inside Davidson county (all at North). Heard the mention of Sterling he is also from the area and coaches at Central Davidson. Don't know a whole lot about the Lexington kid (Threadgill) but from talking to his uncle who was a stellar player at North( Byron "Stevie" Wager) in the late 70's. He said his nephew has 2 state championship rings and just recently won one this year as an assistant at a 4A school in Guilford County.

Think North will have some real good applicants from all over the state. Will be an interesting job for the next couple with the moving of students.

Davidson County teacher and coaching supplement? How far behind Forsyth and Guilford counties? Probably makes it difficult to take a cut in pay to go there. Also, just asking, does the job lose some luster now that's it is no longer 4A?

Davidson County teacher and coaching supplement? How far behind Forsyth and Guilford counties? Probably makes it difficult to take a cut in pay to go there. Also, just asking, does the job lose some luster now that's it is no longer 4A?

1 year head coaching Davidson -$965, Forsyth - $1965, and Guilford - $2300. That's the starting pay with no experience. Of course you get paid more with more experience.
In my oppinion the 4A competition is the best.love to watch the size and competitiveness.diffiently won't be the same. With the lower number a lot of the kids play baseball and football. Will need to be some that can get guys back interested in basketball.

1 year head coaching Davidson -$965, Forsyth - $1965, and Guilford - $2300. That's the starting pay with no experience. Of course you get paid more with more experience.
In my oppinion the 4A competition is the best.love to watch the size and competitiveness.diffiently won't be the same. With the lower number a lot of the kids play baseball and football. Will need to be some that can get guys back interested in basketball.
Plus a substantial difference in county supplement for just teaching between counties, could be looking at $5,000 + cut in pay annually.

Hey that's NC coaching supplements for you. Davidson County is better off then some others... North should be in good shape, cause they will most likely hire teachers... East will struggle...

Hey that's NC coaching supplements for you. Davidson County is better off then some others... North should be in good shape, cause they will most likely hire teachers... East will struggle...
The real conclusion is they all should be better in every county throughout the whole state!

Reactions: All-out_34
North Davidson Coaching position has been filed by another PE teacher in another school. I'm assuming that it has been offered to Brian Hege.
It took since February to hire Brian Hege? Shame on the county and ND for taking this long and putting he and his program in a bad position to not have workouts or barely time to attend jamborees or team camps in the month of June.

It took since February to hire Brian Hege? Shame on the county and ND for taking this long and putting he and his program in a bad position to not have workouts or barely time to attend jamborees or team camps in the month of June.

He was offered the position a long time ago. He didn't want it unless he could be a teacher on campus. North didn't have any open PE jobs so he was holding out. Shame on him for not accepting the position earlier and making them go through all this. He was a great player in high school but was never a good high school coach. I really thought that North would make a splash with them having a chance to be competitive the next two years. I graduated from North it's a shame that Davidson county has so much politics in it. Same ole coaches moving around to different schools.

He was offered the position a long time ago. He didn't want it unless he could be a teacher on campus. North didn't have any open PE jobs so he was holding out. Shame on him for not accepting the position earlier and making them go through all this. He was a great player in high school but was never a good high school coach. I really thought that North would make a splash with them having a chance to be competitive the next two years. I graduated from North it's a shame that Davidson county has so much politics in it. Same ole coaches moving around to different schools.

If that is in fact accurate, shame on him. Either accept the job or don't wait around for months. Also unbelievable that they allowed this to happen at ND. Sometimes you reap what you sow.

I just heard from someone close to the situation the county has put North on hold for hiring the coaches... apparently there was a mix up in what was posted for teaching, and the list they gave North to pick from... so we will be into summer till it's resolved.

I just heard from someone close to the situation the county has put North on hold for hiring the coaches... apparently there was a mix up in what was posted for teaching, and the list they gave North to pick from... so we will be into summer till it's resolved.

Per Human Resources the coaching job has been taking by a PE teacher at another school and they moved a business teacher from another school in to the business position.

How incompetent can it get? My goodness.

It's kinda obvious your not in direct contact with Brian Hege, therefore ALL of your knowledge on his decision to take or not take the Norh Job is coming straight out of your rear. I think it's a shame that people get on these forums with this "inside scoop" crap when they don't have a clue. You say Hege isn't a very good coach. Strictly your opinion but your opinion isn't very fact driven. He has the most wins in CD history, multiple COY awards, his teams won Conference Championships and became a fixture in the state playoffs and He produced multiple POY's. Tell me another Coach around D.C. who has done better??

Just as a heads up Frazier will be taking that PE position at the high school... as I stated before Hege I don't think will want the job, cause he is happy with how things at now.

Ok, all of those childs he said she said needs to stop. Who are they hiring for the boys job at ND is all that needs to be known? Thanks!

Reactions: bballman88
I have decided to remove both post, I do not like the direction it is going in. Discuss the opening and new hires in a positive manner or don't discuss at all!

Here is the latest confusion development. I can not figure this one out for the life of me. North Davidson had PE position open...they elected to hire a women's coach and bring her to teach PE from the middle school. IF IN FACT Hege wanted the men's job, why not hire him in the high school PE position so he is at the school and let the women's coach stay at the middle school. Ah common sense has not prevailed. Workouts are allowed and so are camps and ND still has no men's coach.

From what I'm hearing North will have a boys coach next week. No clue on who it will be. They are interviewing.

Heard through the grapevine that several have been interviewed.

Apparently they have drawn it out so long with Hege and he turned them down.

Antonio Threadgill-assistant at Southwest Guilford

Brant Short-former head coach at Calvary Baptist Day School, East Forsyth HS, unsure about currently

Heard a third candidate that has lots of experience at the high school and collegiate level but wasn't given a name.

Apparently only position open is in EC department.

Word on the streets is that this will be finalized by next week. It is a shame that they are delayed this process so long. Shame on Davidson County HR, as it has hurt the athletes chance to learn a new system and participate in as many summer workouts and jamborees as possible to develop for next season. This thread should be sent to them so they learn about prep sports

If that's the case, they made an exceptional hire! I believe he has assisted at Ragsdale for a while and also served as an assistant at Davidson County Community College where he had great success working along side Matt Ridge. ND is going to appreciate having this new hire! The kids will enjoy playing for him.

Do not stir the pot by stating things that are 100% untrue. He and Matt Ridge are great friends! If the AD at DCCC ever let Bball go D2 or D1 with scholarships that program would be even more amazing from a support stand point. His last name is Mullis not Mullins. Just FYI.

Do not stir the pot by stating things that are 100% untrue. He and Matt Ridge are great friends! If the AD at DCCC ever let Bball go D2 or D1 with scholarships that program would be even more amazing from a support stand point. His last name is Mullis not Mullins. Just FYI.

Congrats to Mullis!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT