ADVERTISEMENT

2A Davidson County to have plenty of new coaches next year

I don't think they make a big hire here. I think it will be a teacher inside of Davidson County that might want to coach. If Hege wants the North Davidson job it's his. If it's a new teacher it will be someone with no experience. The county has hired 2 coaches with no head coaching experience already.

All the coaches hired have good coaching experience? The new West coach has the least experience of the 3 hired. I'm curious when East will make a move.... it's like they are just waiting till last minute

Atleast we know one thing and that it will be a very quick hire. Position will be up for about 5 days went up Friday and will come down Tuesday. Date says from May 19th-23rd. Hope people interested caught it over the weekend. Seems like they may already have their man.

Or they are trying to give someone the opportunity to get things organized and started before summer gets here. Regardless it will be hard to fill both positions.

They already interviewed before the position went. They had the person they wanted. They just had to put it up on the board before they announced it. Is it a coincidence that they took down the business job and the basketball coaching job at the same time. All the other jobs are still up on the board.

Last edited:
If that's the case and rules out any current county coaches, except Sterling Charles at Central, and Chris Doby at Ledford. Don't won't leave Ledford, cause he has it made right now with that program. Charles I could see going after one of the North openings. Still no PE or anything, so I don't think you see Hege make a move. A

Sterling has built quite a program at Central with the girls. Think he would want to go coach the boys? Who ever they get would love to see them be competitive again. I still think that a lot of the talent will go to Ledford and Oak Grove. But a good coach would definitely help North.

Sterling's little boy is at Oak Grove now, so he is in the area. Wouldn't be a bad move for him honestly. It would leave a big void at Central. But would be a good move personally for him. He would probably switch to boys.

Think they would let him leave this late and leave a void at Central so late before summer. Would put central in a bad spot. But my guess will be Hege as the boys coach and Sterling will get the business job and coach the girls.

Last edited:
Lol! Who knows??? Poor kids they deserve a good coach hope they get it figured out. I know of some of the guys that put in an application for the position and one the is actually has a business certification but I doubt they even interview him.

I heard through the grapevine Charles wanted the North girls job.
The CCC girls will be extremely competitive next year.
Ledford and East returns all five starters. Salisbury returns 3/4 top players. Improved West returns all five starters and improved S Rowan returns their top players.

Who knows won't be much of a summer schedule for them. I'm sure a lot of the deadlines for camps have passed considering school ends next week. Teams basketball summer schedules start right after. The basketball dead period follows right afterwards.

North has pulled both openings, along with every teaching position they had today...

Supposedly they have 2 business positions and 2 EC positions. Do you think they will be still competitive with the new school
Oak Grove in the area? Not giving names but I know if 2 players that have transferred out but was told a lot of guys don't come bc of the conference and the competition in 4A. Someone would have to come in change and change the culture.
I have a friend that sales houses tell me that he has sold a lot of houses in that oak grove area in the last couldnof months. Lots of people are trying to move there to go to the new school. What are your thoughts now about North? Use to them being so dominant in the area.

Supposedly they have 2 business positions and 2 EC positions. Do you think they will be still competitive with the new school
Oak Grove in the area? Not giving names but I know if 2 players that have transferred out but was told a lot of guys don't come bc of the conference and the competition in 4A. Someone would have to come in change and change the culture.
I have a friend that sales houses tell me that he has sold a lot of houses in that oak grove area in the last couldnof months. Lots of people are trying to move there to go to the new school. What are your thoughts now about North? Use to them being so dominant in the area.
No reason why ND can't be competitive in the new 2A conference. I heard the same thing about 2 good players transferring out. I would probably do the same thing for my kid, as they have known since FEBRUARY boy's basketball would need a new head coach. I am remember hearing last year when they needed a Head Coach, the interest was in place by many. However, it was said that instead of the Principal or AD calling to introduce themselves and set up in person interviews, it was the school secretary. That does not show true desire to make basketball relevant at ND. That also is not very personal nor is that how athletic at any level should be handled.

If North shows the turnover you're talking about, they could end up like East did after Ridge left... North will still have top notch programs for football, baseball and softball.... basketball for girls should stay competitive, but if all this happens boys will fall in a huge hole.

Just asking since there is talk of transferring, I thought Davidson county had strict boundary lines. Are these transfers physical moves? If so that is not a transfer. That is a change in residency.

I think what you may see is kids take advantage of the new transfer rule. I think Davidson will honor the rule, unless I am reading the county wrong. So you may see a shuffle this year. Not sure how it will play out yet, will be interesting.

I think what you may see is kids take advantage of the new transfer rule. I think Davidson will honor the rule, unless I am reading the county wrong. So you may see a shuffle this year. Not sure how it will play out yet, will be interesting.

Kids will have to go to school where they live in Davidson County. But in the ws/fs area students will be able to go where they want. ND will need to be competitive to keep their student/athletes ws/fs has been taking some of their players for years. Think Tabor got one of their players a couple of years ago.

Kids will have to go to school where they live in Davidson County. But in the ws/fs area students will be able to go where they want. ND will need to be competitive to keep their student/athletes ws/fs has been taking some of their players for years. Think Tabor got one of their players a couple of years ago.
They had to move to Forsyth or pay a hefty out of county fee to play in WSFCS.

If I remember correct, that fine is over 3k to transfer out of county like that.... Not really worth it in my opinion. If you're good enough, you're going to get the looks and offers anyways. College coaches know ND now, and that wont change because they move down to 2A. It changes when coaches don't put the time in to get the kids looks and offers

The Winston-Salem/Forsyth (Parkland) area is stealing some of the North Davidson players. Winston-Salem/Forsyth don't have transfer rules you can recruit there.
No they can not recruit!! As I said earlier only a change of residency or pay they are going to Forsyth County schools.

WSFC can recruit IN-COUNTY athletes only. They are not supposed to have contact with out of county athletes. I would hope most D.C. Parents wouldn't wanna move their kid so bad to pay that much money anyways... unless you're a Tuttle kinda player it won't do THAT much good long term

WSFC can recruit IN-COUNTY athletes only. They are not supposed to have contact with out of county athletes. I would hope most D.C. Parents wouldn't wanna move their kid so bad to pay that much money anyways... unless you're a Tuttle kinda player it won't do THAT much good long term
They can not recruit inside county either. Now we all knows what happens, but coaches can not recruit.

Think one of the assistants Robert Hairston had at Lexington is interested. Named Anthony Threadgill he is from the Davidson County area. He's an assistant coach at one of the Guilford County schools. Played high school ball at Lexington. Teaches business or ec???

I know of 2 people that will apply for the boys job. One is a teacher one is a classified employee with another county.

Besides being a teacher what qualifications would a coach need to be considered for the position? I see that a lot of coaches are looking for their 1st opportunity to be a head coach. I think a coach should be a teacher in the school to have an opportunity to build a relationship with the students they coach. Also helps with discipline when the coach is on campus. Easier for the teacher/coach to stay on top of grades. Be interesting to see if North goes outside the county for a coach. Did King come from outside they county. I know that Turner Hurt Staten Flynn all came from inside Davidson county (all at North). Heard the mention of Sterling he is also from the area and coaches at Central Davidson. Don't know a whole lot about the Lexington kid (Threadgill) but from talking to his uncle who was a stellar player at North( Byron "Stevie" Wager) in the late 70's. He said his nephew has 2 state championship rings and just recently won one this year as an assistant at a 4A school in Guilford County.

Think North will have some real good applicants from all over the state. Will be an interesting job for the next couple with the moving of students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT