ADVERTISEMENT

2A Davidson County to have plenty of new coaches next year

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
With the opening of the new high school in Davidson County, basketball jobs are up for grabs.
  1. North Davidson girls coach Sissy Rouche left for Oak Grove, and the boys coach is now the head football coach.
  2. East boys coach Matt Jacobs steps down after 11 years. He has decided to see his sons senior year from the bench.
  3. West coach Derrick Stokes stepped down and moved to Myrtle Beach with his family.
  4. Oak Grove is still in need of a boys basketball coach.
Now... that isn't to say coach wont change around and more openings could come up... but the coaching rotations in davidson county is a big mess. No telling what you will hear from week to week.

So has East Davidson already hired a football coach, but waiting to make public? Gotta be tough searching for a boys basketball and football coach at the same time. Good luck with the process!

North, East, and West still haven't even posted their openings... so nothing can be done till at least 10 days after they post per state law..

North seriously doesn't seem to care about boys basketball. Hege wanted the job year before last, but they couldn't find a PE position for him. If a school wants someone they will find a way. Then other qualified candidates were rubbed the wrong way as well. Rumor has it the Principal and AD wouldn't even contact candidates directly to set up interviews. Instead they had a secretary reach out. Some mentioned that wasn't very professional. Now they are back to square one as the guy they hired resigned to be head football coach. Apparently that shocked many as he was known for some things that the community knows about.

I've heard several rumors that Hege is happy with where he is at, and won't pursue the boys job this go around... but that also is just rumor... the girls job I think will be tough to fill at North, especially if they try to keep it within the county. Girls have no staff now, and I don't know if anyone that would want that job.

North seriously doesn't seem to care about boys basketball. Hege wanted the job year before last, but they couldn't find a PE position for him. If a school wants someone they will find a way. Then other qualified candidates were rubbed the wrong way as well. Rumor has it the Principal and AD wouldn't even contact candidates directly to set up interviews. Instead they had a secretary reach out. Some mentioned that wasn't very professional. Now they are back to square one as the guy they hired resigned to be head football coach. Apparently that shocked many as he was known for some things that the community knows about.

North Davidson seems to not care about basketball. I think most of them will leave and go to the new school anyway. Not even trying to find a head coach right now which make it hard for the new coach to get their kids in any camps and any preseason workouts. It's a football school doesn't care about basketball team or players.

With no coach in place a lot of those athletes will move to the new school.

Most of North's Athletic kids will attend oack Grove anyways, The school is in Midway area. All others would be subject to state transfer rules which would require an address change or move. Cannot transfer from one school to another in an LEA without a bondfide move. To do so by rule would cost the transfer a 365 day out of sports penatly. If the students parent teaches at the new school then thay can attend and play out of district becasue that is a local Davidson County rule.

Most of North's Athletic kids will attend oack Grove anyways, The school is in Midway area. All others would be subject to state transfer rules which would require an address change or move. Cannot transfer from one school to another in an LEA without a bondfide move. To do so by rule would cost the transfer a 365 day out of sports penatly. If the students parent teaches at the new school then thay can attend and play out of district becasue that is a local Davidson County rule.

There has been transfers. You can't speak of any players that have been hit by this rule. Most of the parents in this area can afford to move to other schools districts if they want too. I'm a coach in another district. I see it happen all the time. Forsyth County does it all the time.

There has been transfers. You can't speak of any players that have been hit by this rule. Most of the parents in this area can afford to move to other schools districts if they want too. I'm a coach in another district. I see it happen all the time. Forsyth County does it all the time.

Correct, Forsyth has open transfer from school to school which overrides the State rule. I personally know a few kids that have been hit by this rule in DC. They either transferred schools and then went back to the original without a move or went to a charter and transferred back and it cost them 365.

So, does anyone know who may be coaching candidates for any of these openings at East, North, or West Davidson? Or who these schools may want/go after for their openings?

I've heard of a few rumors and possibilities inside the county... Biggest is if Hege will want to coach boys at North, cause the job is his to give up... West is linking its basketball job to another coaching opening(Stokes helped with football), some rumors are being thrown around there... No real word from East, but I'm sure Jacobs will have a big say in the job considering his son will still be on the team. Haven't heard about the girls North job at all.... Biggest issue is DCS is dragging its feet posting the openings, all the ADs have already sent in the requests to post the jobs, just HR hasn't done it, biggest reason is filling Oak Grove out first.

It would seem that hiring these coaches would be a high priority. If the HR department is dragging its feet, that will certainly effect these school's ability to hire a good coach and get them in for spring and summer workouts, camps, etc.

I've heard of a few rumors and possibilities inside the county... Biggest is if Hege will want to coach boys at North, cause the job is his to give up... West is linking its basketball job to another coaching opening(Stokes helped with football), some rumors are being thrown around there... No real word from East, but I'm sure Jacobs will have a big say in the job considering his son will still be on the team. Haven't heard about the girls North job at all.... Biggest issue is DCS is dragging its feet posting the openings, all the ADs have already sent in the requests to post the jobs, just HR hasn't done it, biggest reason is filling Oak Grove out first.

Which is very weak and shows how much the care about basketball out there. Made a football move in weeks but taking months with basketball. I don't know why a real good basketball coach would want a job where they drag their feet about the basketball program.

Which is very weak and shows how much the care about basketball out there. Made a football move in weeks but taking months with basketball. I don't know why a real good basketball coach would want a job where they drag their feet about the basketball program.
If it was up to the AD's, most of the county jobs would get posted next day. But, unfortunately that's school politics fro you.

It would seem that hiring these coaches would be a high priority. If the HR department is dragging its feet, that will certainly effect these school's ability to hire a good coach and get them in for spring and summer workouts, camps, etc.
Unless East finds a teaching opening, or hires in-house, you are probably looking at a non-faculty coach there. Even with he listings posted its hard to gauge teaching openings this early.

If a school wants someone, they should be able to find a spot. Easier said for larger high schools, but if you teach in the PE field, CTE, or ISS and don't Coach your job should be be able to be moved. Those positions almost always involve coaching as well.

If a school wants someone, they should be able to find a spot. Easier said for larger high schools, but if you teach in the PE field, CTE, or ISS and don't Coach your job should be be able to be moved. Those positions almost always involve coaching as well.
I understand your thoughts, but I don't think it is that easy or fair.

Schools can only hire on what will or is open... Admin cant just make someone quit to try and fill a coaching slot. kinda unethical if you think abut it.

These jobs have been open for so long now....still neither of the 3 even posted on Davidson county schools website. They do know the longer that is waited a new coach will have very minimal time with have workouts before dead periods before summer time. How do they honestly expect whomever is hired at each to have optimum success? When they are dragging feet on these positions.

A good friend of mine has applied for on of the open jobs, and the answer that AD gave was that the county office is dragging its feet cause of trying to fill up the new Oak Grove. Apparently the ADs sent in the request to post the positions when they first opened. Everyone else is the red headed step child till OGHS gets filled it seems

Interesting, as OGHS has already filled its basketball coaching positions. Any names being floated out there for any of the open basketball jobs? Surprised that they went the convenient route hiring the women's coaches husband at the boys coach. You would think most every school would want the football and boys basketball head coaches to be employed at the school in one capacity or another.

Interesting, as OGHS has already filled its basketball coaching positions. Any names being floated out there for any of the open basketball jobs? Surprised that they went the convenient route hiring the women's coaches husband at the boys coach. You would think most every school would want the football and boys basketball head coaches to be employed at the school in one capacity or another.

Really becomes difficult when one doesn't work out and you have to make a change. Probably looking for replacement of both coaches then.

In my own opinion every coaching hire except Sissy Rouche and Holcomb has been a complete joke... it's showing hey have had a major agenda in hiring coaches.

What type of agenda are you speaking of? Hiring in county folks instead of the actual best candidate that can develop a program and lead them to success....

What type of agenda are you speaking of? Hiring in county folks instead of the actual best candidate that can develop a program and lead them to success....
That is exactly what they did. They hired all Ledford and North coaches, and ignored anyone else. not a good message to young or vet coaches looking to get a fresh start.

That is exactly what they did. They hired all Ledford and North coaches, and ignored anyone else. not a good message to young or vet coaches looking to get a fresh start.

A lot of the teachers they hired have never played the sport before. But need the extra money so you can't blame them. Just hurts a kid that may have a lot of talent that doesn't have a coach to teach them fundamentals and don't have the experience to talk to college coaches. North Carolina has so much talent but not getting good coaches. That's why so many of these kids are going to private schools.

Reactions: All-out_34
A lot of the teachers they hired have never played the sport before. But need the extra money so you can't blame them. Just hurts a kid that may have a lot of talent that doesn't have a coach to teach them fundamentals and don't have the experience to talk to college coaches. North Carolina has so much talent but not getting good coaches. That's why so many of these kids are going to private schools.

Who did they hire to teach that will a coach a sport they aren't familiar with? I haven't heard that until now! That's awful if true. I did notice many Ledford and ND coaches going over. I can't argue with WBB and football...lots of experience for those! I know for a fact a very succesful track/XC coach applied and they didn't even give an interview. Shame shame. They could have had a very talented wrestling coach with deep background and strong love for all things right in high school athletics as well. At the end of the day it shouldn't be about hiring friends or neighbors, but the best person who will get the most out of the kids, develop program, and if talent exists for college get the kids exposure. Curious as to why the softball job is still open?

Who did they hire to teach that will a coach a sport they aren't familiar with? I haven't heard that until now! That's awful if true. I did notice many Ledford and ND coaches going over. I can't argue with WBB and football...lots of experience for those! I know for a fact a very succesful track/XC coach applied and they didn't even give an interview. Shame shame. They could have had a very talented wrestling coach with deep background and strong love for all things right in high school athletics as well. At the end of the day it shouldn't be about hiring friends or neighbors, but the best person who will get the most out of the kids, develop program, and if talent exists for college get the kids exposure. Curious as to why the softball job is still open?
Haven't heard a reason for that yet. I'm kinda surprised that hey haven't pulled coaches from East at all. The principal is from East and the AD brother is the new principal. But it's been a mess. Apparently from what I was told the AD doesn't even have a say in the hires, it's all the principal and county HR.

The longer this continues to drag out, the more it only hurts these programs and players in each program. Meanwhile, all the other schools in county get to work with their coaches and players during the current skill development period. But that period ends in a few weeks. The likelihood of any of these 3 schools having a new coach in by then doesn't seem very high.

It shows that the county HR does not take athletics seriously....certainly the county wide AD should be pushing this but probably does not mind that much. To be honest, a lot of people in HS AD positions are just claiming a pay check. It is a shame, but people are out there who would like to be a HS AD and know a lot of effectively running an athletic department. While it is different from a collegiate atmosphere, High School Principal's should let the AD do the majority of the hiring and firing. All coaches should be united and strive for excellence for the school, and for each individual program. If any head coaches are NOT "all in" then that hurts everyone. Now it is understandable that some programs will have rough times, but every area of a program has to be analyzed to make sure all is being done to strive for success. This refers to skill development, non-conference scheduling, assistant coaches, etc. It even goes as far as promoting a program. Some coaches are simply to lazy to even provide scores or game results to media outlets. How do they expect to be noticed or allow the kids to receive the credit they deserve if they can't even submit results. Then on the other hand, the amount of school team twitter accounts that are poorly managed or barely used is a disservice. The kids can get additional exposure this way, and the program can be promoted in a positive light as well.

Reactions: All-out_34
I believe I inaccurately mentioned the jobs-it should be North, West, one of the other directional either East or Central that is open. Can't remember which one I heard.

Thanks! Had a brain freeze for a minute. Any names come to mind who would want any of the jobs or who the schools might want to go after? Just like any collegiate level-ADs should always have a list for situations like these.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT