ADVERTISEMENT

Cummings

Looks like the Cummings job is open. Obviously not what is was at one time.

https://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20200219/cummings-removes-jones-as-football-coach

What is the projected status of Cummings and Graham High Schools? I know that the school system was talking about a new school and possible redistributing that would eliminate Graham and Cummings as traditional high schools.

It’d be a shame to take that job and find that you’re trying to build something that isn’t going to exist much longer.

couldn't read the story...have to be a subscriber......give us the gist of the article...................................

couldn't read the story...have to be a subscriber......give us the gist of the article...................................

Basically the coach was removed from his position. No reason given (obviously). He will remain on staff in his teaching position. (PE).

The principal will start the search for the new coach immediately.

Second coach fired in the last few years at Cummings.

The article tried to hype up Cummings’ second place conference finish a couple of years ago. They mentioned Reidsville and how they’ve won a lot of state championships.

They neglected to mention that Reidsville is the one shining star in a conference that is otherwise chock-full of crappy teams, so finishing in second place in that conference doesn’t mean jack squat.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Everyone always says "demographics". I say BS.

Kids are lazy these days and dont play sports like they used to.
I didn’t even read the article, but if a school overtime becomes 65% Latino, and considering they are not really into American Football, what else do you call it, if not “demographics”? This is the case with some schools in Charlotte now. Schools that were once football powers are no longer that good, because of changes in demographics.

Kids are lazy these days and dont play sports like they used to.
I can’t tell! Considering all of these AAU, travel basketball and baseball programs, and 7 on 7 football being more glorified than ever, kids are playing sports damn near year round now. That’s that “old head” talk you’re talking. There is some decline in football, though, due to all of the concussion talk and injury risk, legitimate concerns, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I didn’t even read the article, but if a school overtime becomes 65% Latino, and considering they are not really into American Football, what else do you call it, if not “demographics”? This is the case with some schools in Charlotte now. Schools that were once football powers are no longer that good, because of changes in demographics.

Well it didnt mention one word about demographics, that's for sure LOL.

And Im not talking about pay for play AAU and all that BS where kids practice maybe twice a week. Im talking high schools. Cummings has enough kids that they should have had way more than 40 kids in the football program. You mentioned Latinos, which traditionally play a a lot of soccer. How were the numbers on Cummings soccer team? Not as high as they should be if the demographics are the biggest change like you all are claiming. Kids, no matter there race, are not playing high school sports, not just football, like they used to. A lot of teams cant even put together a JV team for most sports.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Well it didnt mention one word about demographics, that's for sure LOL.

And Im not talking about pay for play AAU and all that BS where kids practice maybe twice a week. Im talking high schools. Cummings has enough kids that they should have had way more than 40 kids in the football program. You mentioned Latinos, which traditionally play a a lot of soccer. How were the numbers on Cummings soccer team? Not as high as they should be if the demographics are the biggest change like you all are claiming. Kids, no matter there race, are not playing high school sports, not just football, like they used to. A lot of teams cant even put together a JV team for most sports.

That an interesting point. In my area there are quite a few mid-sized 2A teams that are struggling to field JV teams in sports that are generally popular.

For example, East Davidson has traditionally had a pretty strong girls basketball program. This year, they weren’t able to field a JV squad. They have over 850 kids. A lot of soccer teams are struggling to have JV teams as well. I’m not familiar with too many teams in our area who don’t have JV football teams (other than South Davidson), but I know that numbers are always a concern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT