ADVERTISEMENT

Crest at Shelby

How is the crest secondary is the million dollar question?
It's pretty good, but that isn't the million dollar question. I really don't think you could even understand the deal here, no offense. There are a ton of million dollar question. Shelby is a great football team, no doubt about it, but this ain't chopped liver that's coming to play them, believe it.

This is what I know. Shelby has won 15 in a row, Crest has won 26 in a row. The #1 team in 2a football, the #1 team in 3a football. Seven miles apart, I heard on the drive in tonight that those in the know are estimating anywhere between 8 and 10 thousand people to be in attendance.

This thread will turn to junk in no time so I'll get this in while I can. There will be no better place to be next Friday night than where I will be. There will not be a better atmosphere anywhere in this State. If you have never seen it in person, you can't possibly understand.

This should be a dandy ! Probably a lot of fans from other schools will be at this slobber knocker ! Cleveland County , home of many champions ...
I heard from a reliable source that Burns has asked RS to move it's game to Thursday, so the gate isn't killed.

I would go to this one but can't miss a pretty big Asheville-Erwin game. I'm going with Crest, 35-28

Having seen both, Crest by as many as they want. Shelby breaks the North Carolina high school single game penalty yardage record by a wide margin.

Thats why ya play the game...this game is like Duke -Carolina...u never know till they hit the field...
Last year i heard over and over Shelby had no chance, and Crest would score 45....game went to wire.
Sameway i feel this year will be..All you armchair Qbs and coaches,sit back and just watch....

Reactions: seadog28
Shelby is really explosive on offense, 47 points per game is impressive! Crest counters with 10 points per game on defense, I feel like Crest can run on Shelby, but should only pass when it's an easy give or 3rd and long. We still run the ball as good as anyone, if not better. Crest defense HAS to be better than they've been all year. I think Crest offense can score, but no fumbles! or interceptions! Don't give the ball away on easy plays. Seems like we've had more turnovers this season than last season.

We'll it's that time of the year. I haven't said anything because I've been too bored of all these crappy games.. Let's make a few things very clear...

1) crest will be fully loaded for the first time come Friday night..
2) our secondary is loaded and that is not the million dollar question
3) how good is Shelby's defense?
4) how well can Lee play with the other team in his pocket all night?
5) Willie green is much better than he was at the first of the year

Crest has problems, whether some want to admit it or not..
We cannot run the ball at will.. Not sure why we have not tried to work on that, it's a weakness and it concerns me.. Throwing the ball 80% of the time is not what we need to game plan for...

The defense is As good as I've seen and pretty much any team will struggle to score against it..

Shelby better be leap years better than last year or those kitties will be tamed AGAIN for how many ever years in a row??

Prediction
Crest 35
Shelby 14

When all you golden lion fans exit Roy Kirby stadium early, don't worry.... We will get the lights..

Two schools....3 miles apart (the way the crow flies)...both 10-0...both back to back State Championship contenders with one winning both and one winning last year.....one #1 in state 3A AP poll...one #1 in state 2A AP poll...conference championship on the line....county championship on the line....the biggest game in the state of North Carolina this season....it is....Shelby vs Crest next Friday at George Blanton Memorial Stadium.

Have there ever been two State Champions from the same conference. Crest and Shelby last year!

See you there!

Crest/Shelby game is always a big game but this year is like no other. Win or lose this game I think both teams win State Championships again. I just hope the good guys win by one!!

Like Rulz said in a earlier post I want to say a few things before it gets out of hand.Two incredible high school programs going at it again this Friday night In Blanton Memorial.At the barber shop yesterday I was talking with a friend from Cherryville and he asked me the question, does Crest and Shelby fans really know how lucky they are?My answer was probably not.This is what we have come to expect year in and year out.Congrats to the Chargers for 10 and 0 start and 26 in a row and congrats to the Lions for a 10 and 0 start and 29 wins in the last 31 games.Go Lions

Like Rulz said in a earlier post I want to say a few things before it gets out of hand.Two incredible high school programs going at it again this Friday night In Blanton Memorial.At the barber shop yesterday I was talking with a friend from Cherryville and he asked me the question, does Crest and Shelby fans really know how lucky they are?My answer was probably not.This is what we have come to expect year in and year out.Congrats to the Chargers for 10 and 0 start and 26 in a row and congrats to the Lions for a 10 and 0 start and 29 wins in the last 31 games.Go Lions

Okay, enough with the bromances! We all know you're both having a special year. Who's going to throw the first punch here? My guess is 98 will annoy enough Crest fans to get it started. :)

Okay, enough with the bromances! We all know you're both having a special year. Who's going to throw the first punch here? My guess is 98 will annoy enough Crest fans to get it started. :)

Can you please tell us where all 8 of your teams are playing and which of them will make the playoff's? The big boys are trying something new this year. We've both dismissed South Point already, don't they have a game for you to chirp about?

Reactions: '98 State Champion
Will be a huge game, no doubt, will be the biggest turnout ever for this game without question.

As for the matchup, Shelby goes toe to toe w/ anyone as far as athletes are concerned, but my biggest concern playing Crest lies in the trenches, it always is. It's not a secret that they're bigger in the trenches, and can ultimately wear us down. Crest also has an improved air attack, so we can't focus as much on Harbison like we did last season. I still expect Crest to come out and employ ball control though.

Don't mistake this for me having a lack of confidence, because again, we have exceptional athletes, some burners, one missed tackle, and it could prove costly. Crest will not be able to shade Borders like they did last with a safety over the top, no other receiver scared them last season, so that was an easy game plan, defensively, that Crest successfully executed.

Darquez will have to the throw shorter passes, maybe even dink and donk, but that's not a bad thing, let our athletes make plays. I like Antwan Wright this game. If he gets past Crest's front 7, it's going be problematic for Crest. Not only does he have speed and agility, but he is such a determined and violent runner, defensive backs have such a hard time tackling that young man. He's rarely tackled once he's into the secondary. "Don't believe me, just watch".

This game and atmosphere is going to be epic. Those who are predicting a blowout in Crest's favor, that won't be happening. Please believe it!

Last edited:
Now...To the important stuff......I'll take the first shot....Like the gun fight at the OK corral. I'm doc holiday. I just winked at one of the heathens SHELBY SUCKS. We're gonna beat the piss out of them. They have no run defense. The physical pound you Chargers will show up .This is our time of year. This is what we do.They know it. We know it...

It's fun to read the crest fans post because you can tell they are jealous of Shelby. Especially the older fans who experienced the domination we had over crest for years.

You guys are catching up to us in the head to head win/loss record and you have defintely had our number lately. I expect you guys to beat us Friday because you are a top 3 a team, have a bigger school and bigger players.

With all that said you guys still envy Shelby. You want to be what we are. The greatest football program in the history of north Carolina athletics.

No matter the outcome this Friday were still big brother to the little ponies and we always will be.

It's fun to read the crest fans post because you can tell they are jealous of Shelby. Especially the older fans who experienced the domination we had over crest for years.

You guys are catching up to us in the head to head win/loss record and you have defintely had our number lately. I expect you guys to beat us Friday because you are a top 3 a team, have a bigger school and bigger players.

With all that said you guys still envy Shelby. You want to be what we are. The greatest football program in the history of north Carolina athletics.

No matter the outcome this Friday were still big brother to the little ponies and we always will be.

Envy Shelby haha....... You are definitely older but you're the little brother!!!

We'll it's that time of the year. I haven't said anything because I've been too bored of all these crappy games.. Let's make a few things very clear...

1) crest will be fully loaded for the first time come Friday night..
2) our secondary is loaded and that is not the million dollar question
3) how good is Shelby's defense?
4) how well can Lee play with the other team in his pocket all night?
5) Willie green is much better than he was at the first of the year

Crest has problems, whether some want to admit it or not..
We cannot run the ball at will.. Not sure why we have not tried to work on that, it's a weakness and it concerns me.. Throwing the ball 80% of the time is not what we need to game plan for...

The defense is As good as I've seen and pretty much any team will struggle to score against it..

Shelby better be leap years better than last year or those kitties will be tamed AGAIN for how many ever years in a row??

Prediction
Crest 35
Shelby 14

When all you golden lion fans exit Roy Kirby stadium early, don't worry.... We will get the lights..
Your an idiot.

Few weeks back I thought Crest had this one because Shelby defense kept giving up points. Last few games though they have tightened up. Guess it also helps when you aren't facing an Emmons or Dowdle.

Funny,Crest hasnt faced anybody worth a crap...At least Shelby played a good Ac team which in Jambo did beat Crest...and Freedom.....
Lets see Crest played Trashbrook,and Tc both suck....
As for our defense,i wish somebody would come up with the number of plays our d plays on field compared to others..
Were strike in like 4-6 plays and score and put d on the field more than any other d....
Crest runs more and uses more time from clock....dont sleep on our D...you did last year and got suprised...

Funny,Crest hasnt faced anybody worth a crap...At least Shelby played a good Ac team which in Jambo did beat Crest...and Freedom.....
Lets see Crest played Trashbrook,and Tc both suck....
As for our defense,i wish somebody would come up with the number of plays our d plays on field compared to others..
Were strike in like 4-6 plays and score and put d on the field more than any other d....
Crest runs more and uses more time from clock....dont sleep on our D...you did last year and got suprised...

Yeah and you still lost...

Yeah maybe..but seems u one of the idots who claimed big win.
Knowing your butt was drawed up at half...
Yeah u beat our 3 offense players, see if u can stop 8 wepons

Yeah maybe..but seems u one of the idots who claimed big win.
Knowing your butt was drawed up at half...
Yeah u beat our 3 offense players, see if u can stop 8 wepons

Can you stop Crest? All we've heard is "Shelby's offense this, Shelby's offense that" I see 18 points per game for that awesome defense you have. I'm getting flashbacks to Havelock, sounds pretty familiar.

I dont sit and predict our games ive been watching us play since early 70s..
Its like Duke-Carolina..ive seen both lose when they shouldnt..
I see this game as a chess match...we will also see how good your coach is...

Shelby has played 4 top 3a teams.Two will go into the playoffs at 10 and 0 and neither playing a close game,one will be 9 and 1 and the other will be 8 and 2.So that we will help.Crest will still be the best overall team the Lions have played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT