ADVERTISEMENT

Count down to One Month

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Another month from today 8/23 HS football games will start. Want be long until 1st day of practice, then scrimmages, then the regular season. Then the playoffs
I’m ready for the season to start.

My outlook for some of top teams for each class

4A Weddington, Grimsley, Butler, Hough
3A Hickory, Dudley, 71st, AC Reynolds, Crest, Kings Mountain
2A Reidsville, Shelby
1A Tarboro, Mt Airy

Anyone is welcome to put your thoughts on your top teams for each class.

Last edited:
Reactions: curtiscummings1
4A Add Indy, Rolesville to 4A. Also if Grimsley is going to be added then so should East Forsyth this season.

3A I would remove Kings Mountain and Add Havelock or West Charlotte.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
4A Add Indy, Rolesville to 4A. Also if Grimsley is going to be added then so should East Forsyth this season.

3A I would remove Kings Mountain and Add Havelock or West Charlotte.
I don’t wanna say too much right now but this Kings Mountain group is going to be pretty fierce.. South Point is legit too as much as I hate to say that..

Darkhorses

4A. Mallard Creek, East Forsyth
3A. Statesville, Robinson, West Henderson
2A. West Lincoln, Monroe, Forest Hills
1A. Thomasville, ER, Mitchell
I don’t consider East Forsyth a dark horse with how much talent they have. After getting Reagan’s best player (D-1) RB. Oak Grove’s biggest recruit (Power 5) OL. Also receiving transfers from all over forsyth Co. and being led by UNC QB commit, they’re a legit contender!

I HOPE everyone keeps OVER LOOKING the YOUNG MOUNTIES.
You guys came into last season returning 15+ starters with a senior heavy group, many 3 year starters and got shut out in the second round. Respectively, I’m not over looking them, I just don’t think they belong in the same tier as the title contenders 71st, Dudley, Hickory’s of the world. If you do, I would like you to elaborate on why.

I don’t wanna say too much right now but this Kings Mountain group is going to be pretty fierce.. South Point is legit too as much as I hate to say that..
I’m sure but I don’t see it, as far as being mentioned with the top teams. I know South Point will be legit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they knocked a team like Hickory off, being that hickory only returns 1-2 guys in their front 7 from last season. I know the got a few transfers and had a good jv team but still hard to replace that leadership and continuity.

I’m sure but I don’t see it, as far as being mentioned with the top teams. I know South Point will be legit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they knocked a team like Hickory off, being that hickory only returns 1-2 guys in their front 7 from last season. I know the got a few transfers and had a good jv team but still hard to replace that leadership and continuity.
I definitely understand from the outside looking in why you think KM may have dropped out of the conversation and I will say that assessment is fair. KM has to stay away from injury because we aren’t as deep yet but this current group is opening some eyes with their size, athleticism, work ethic, and eagerness to learn. They will be in the hunt in November if everyone stays healthy. The Big South Conference will be tough at the top with Crest, South Point, Ashbrook, and Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain scrimmages JM Robinson and Kanapolis on Aug 9 so we should see where we are at when we line up with Robinson.

2A Clinton lost to Reidsville last year in the State. What do they bring back this year?

I definitely understand from the outside looking in why you think KM may have dropped out of the conversation and I will say that assessment is fair. KM has to stay away from injury because we aren’t as deep yet but this current group is opening some eyes with their size, athleticism, work ethic, and eagerness to learn. They will be in the hunt in November if everyone stays healthy. The Big South Conference will be tough at the top with Crest, South Point, Ashbrook, and Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain scrimmages JM Robinson and Kanapolis on Aug 9 so we should see where we are at when we line up with Robinson.
Honestly, In all seriousness I never thought you guys were in it. I knew last years team wouldn’t make it far just based off of the offense alone. Last year was pretty clear that either Crest, Dudley, Hickory or 71st would be in the championship game. JM is a good matchup but they also lost some key pieces from last season so this won’t be the same team from last season of course. QB, 2k rusher, 4 star LB and Florida State DT all graduated and a few linemen. I will check it out and let you know what I think.

Last edited:
Honestly, In all seriousness I never thought you guys were in it. I knew last years team wouldn’t make it far just based off of the offense alone. Last year was pretty clear that either Crest, Dudley, Hickory or 71st would be in the championship game. JM is a good matchup but they also lost some key pieces from last season so this won’t be the same team from last season of course. QB, 2k rusher, 4 star LB and Florida State DT all graduated and a few linemen. I will check it out and let you know what I think.
I am hearing Robinson has a few pretty good transfers who are boosting them so we will see. My opinion of 3A last year is that it would be a toss up with 7-8 teams having shots to win it. I also thought that those 7-8 teams had some weaknesses that could cost them in the playoffs. For example Dudley was talented but your offensive line was young. The qb had a lot of numbers but he was a stationary target in the pocket holding the ball too long at times. All of the top teams had something you could pick at. I thought it would come down to matchups and coaching. I do think Dudley will be better because of the run/pass threat at qb to go with their receivers this season. Dudley’s o-line should be more seasoned this year also. If Dudley would have stuck with their running game they would have beaten Hickory by ten in my opinion. I knew Hickory had talent and I am pretty sure that I was one of the first guys to say Hickory was a dark horse for a title early last preseason. Hickory is defending champs, Dudley is tough, 71st, South Point, and Hickory are probably my upper echelon right now in 3A. Crest, WC, and Scotland County will definitely compete.

Dudley definitely will be scary good this year. With what Hickory and some others bring back is going to be an exciting season to watch. Can’t wait until the season starts.
Hickory’s Achilles heel last year was run defense. Hickory was small in their front seven and teams had a lot of success running on them. The issue was that Hickory’s offense was so potent and the Tornadoes scored so consistently that many teams got trapped into passing more than running to keep up with the Tornadoes. Hickory was going to win those battles everytime with that qb and receivers.
I agree that Dudley will be better. The Panther receivers are going to terrorize secondaries all season.

I am hearing Robinson has a few pretty good transfers who are boosting them so we will see. My opinion of 3A last year is that it would be a toss up with 7-8 teams having shots to win it. I also thought that those 7-8 teams had some weaknesses that could cost them in the playoffs. For example Dudley was talented but your offensive line was young. The qb had a lot of numbers but he was a stationary target in the pocket holding the ball too long at times. All of the top teams had something you could pick at. I thought it would come down to matchups and coaching. I do think Dudley will be better because of the run/pass threat at qb to go with their receivers this season. Dudley’s o-line should be more seasoned this year also. If Dudley would have stuck with their running game they would have beaten Hickory by ten in my opinion. I knew Hickory had talent and I am pretty sure that I was one of the first guys to say Hickory was a dark horse for a title early last preseason. Hickory is defending champs, Dudley is tough, 71st, South Point, and Hickory are probably my upper echelon right now in 3A. Crest, WC, and Scotland County will definitely compete.
I don’t think their weaknesses mattered last year. The three teams that brought pressure to QBs didn’t have enough offense to beat them and that goes for Hickory as well but more importantly Dudley because you had to have an elite qb and passing game to do anything. That’s why I thought there were 4-5 tops who could win it. 71st was the only team that wasn’t a passing team that had a chance at winning it. I know there’s going to be someone that disagrees with me but I personally didn’t think Dudley’s qb last year was that great despite the numbers. I thought the talent around him was THAT special and the big line kept him from being touched. Which is scary because their offense with a more athletic qb this year could be that much better as the season goes on. I agree, we both were the first ones to take notice of how good Hickory could be early because of the offense. I thought Robinson and West Henderson were really solid teams last season. I believe they would’ve beaten a lot of other teams but just got bad match ups with Dudley and Hickory. I hope we get some match ups that we haven’t gotten in the last few years. I would like to see Hickory and Crest play, Dudley and West Charlotte play or Kings Mountain/West Charlotte versus Hickory.

Last edited:
JM Robinson actually returns 16 starters (7 on offense and 9 on defense) from last years team including a power 4 South Carolina Gamecock commit at wide receiver. Robinson also added a couple of transfers including a receiver from Hickory Ridge who had 51 catches last season to go along with the two returning receivers who both had over 1,000yds receiving last season. Robinson also RETURNS their starting quarterback from last season. JM Robinson will be a dark horse for a state championship and probably better than last season’s team. I’ve observed how you tend to slight teams to make to enhance your personal opinion. I am not sure how this year’s scrimmage with Robinson and AL Brown takes away from it being a good look for a very young but talented Mountaineer team. Neither team is the same from last season, one is a returning veteran team and the other is a young team replacing multiple starters. I am sure that Robinson and 4A Kannapolis will give our young team plenty to take back and work on.

JM Robinson actually returns 16 starters (7 on offense and 9 on defense) from last years team including a power 4 South Carolina Gamecock commit at wide receiver. Robinson also added a couple of transfers including a receiver from Hickory Ridge who had 51 catches last season to go along with the two returning receivers who both had over 1,000yds receiving last season. Robinson also RETURNS their starting quarterback from last season. JM Robinson will be a dark horse for a state championship and probably better than last season’s team. I’ve observed how you tend to slight teams to make to enhance your personal opinion. I am not sure how this year’s scrimmage with Robinson and AL Brown takes away from it being a good look for a very young but talented Mountaineer team. Neither team is the same from last season, one is a returning veteran team and the other is a young team replacing multiple starters. I am sure that Robinson and 4A Kannapolis will give our young team plenty to take back and work on.
JM did have their QB graduate. Issac Lee who is going to WCU. They have a couple kids competing to be the starting QB.

• Love
Reactions: New3ra
When did I say that Robinson didn’t return a good amount, including the receiver. All I stated was that they lost a few key pieces so it wouldn’t be the same team. I didn’t say they still wouldn’t be good, which goes to show you how good they were last season. That is why I also stated they would’ve beaten a lot of other teams but just caught a bad match up with Dudley. When four of the starters any team loses is a Senior QB, A Florida State DT, a 4 star LB that made majority of the tackles and a two thousand yard rusher, that’s a lot of production. That’s all I really talked about with them. I know about the transfers because they also got a Linebacker from Hickory Ridge. I like the little jab you threw even though you’re wrong.

Last edited:
JM did have their QB graduate. Issac Lee who is going to WCU. They have a couple kids competing to be the starting QB.
Exactly, they don’t RETURN Lee! That’s one reason that Jaden from Chambers wanted to go and compete for the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCFB73
I read a preview that came out that stated that JM Robinson was returning their qb. The preview had a kid’s name listed as their qb. Even if this was a typo on their quarterback returning, JM Robinson still returns a ton of kids from last year’s squad.

When did I say that Robinson didn’t return a good amount, including the receiver. All I stated was that they lost a few key pieces so it wouldn’t be the same team. I didn’t say they still wouldn’t be good, which goes to show you how good they were last season. That is why I also stated they would’ve beaten a lot of other teams but just caught a bad match up with Dudley. When four of the starters any team loses is a Senior QB, A Florida State DT, a 4 star LB that made majority of the tackles and a two thousand yard rusher, that’s a lot of production. That’s all I really talked about with them. I know about the transfers because they also got a Linebacker from Hickory Ridge. I like the little jab you threw even though you’re wrong.
My bad for posting a bad piece of info related to the JM qb but my overall points stands. JM lost some productive pieces but return a great majority of their starters along with picking up some transfer starters. I agree the qb play is the key to their season.

Last edited:
My bad for posting a bad piece of info but my overall points stands. JM lost some productive pieces but return a great majority of their starters along with picking up some transfer starters. I agree the qb play is the key to their season.
Overall points stands? Everything you stated about them I already knew. I think this year 3A will be stronger than the previous 3 seasons in this current alignment, there’s so many good teams.

Get to take an early sneak peek at West Charlotte today. I hope Greiner continues to bring them down to the CC Jamboree in upcoming years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT