ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

Just saw where Craven County was allowing workouts to begin next week. That is a big move for them as they were being cautious.

I think it was a teacher that died in Havelock about 3 or 4 weeks ago that caused the county to hold stuff back. It was a medical issue that had nothing to do with this virus. Part of the reason I mentioned the 50 foot ladder. Another reason is from someone in healthcare that said they are being told to list everything as covid-19 They get thousands from the government for every case. If that ain't true I was simply lied too.

I think it was a teacher that died in Havelock about 3 or 4 weeks ago that caused the county to hold stuff back. It was a medical issue that had nothing to do with this virus. Part of the reason I mentioned the 50 foot ladder. Another reason is from someone in healthcare that said they are being told to list everything as covid-19 They get thousands from the government for every case. If that ain't true I was simply lied too.
$39K for every covid-19 case admitted to hospital.

I think there is close to zero chance that we will have NC HS football this fall. Too many issues/logistics to make it work. The only way I see this changing, is if by miracle a vaccine becomes available very soon. BTW.... I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
$39K for every covid-19 case admitted to hospital.
Mule, that’s partially right. Through federal reimbursement, that applies to Medicare patients only. The base payment for a Medicare hospitalization is $5000. If Covid pneumonia is diagnosed, the payment increases to $13,000. If that Medicare patient is placed on a ventilator, the payment increases to $39,000.
So for non-Medicare, or Covid on Medicare, but not diagnosed with pneumonia, there is no extra federal subsidy.

Mule, that’s partially right. Through federal reimbursement, that applies to Medicare patients only. The base payment for a Medicare hospitalization is $5000. If Covid pneumonia is diagnosed, the payment increases to $13,000. If that Medicare patient is placed on a ventilator, the payment increases to $39,000.
So for non-Medicare, or Covid on Medicare, but not diagnosed with pneumonia, there is no extra federal subsidy.
Medicare Advantage plans also qualify for subsidy.

Medicare Advantage is not a supplemental plan.
It replaces medicare.
Gotcha. I don’t have Medicare Advantage and I do have a supplemental insurance, thankfully. I quit totaling my hospital bill for H1N1 when it crossed the half million dollar mark.

Gotcha. I don’t have Medicare Advantage and I do have a supplemental insurance, thankfully. I quit totaling my hospital bill for H1N1 when it crossed the half million dollar mark.
You might want to check out the medicare advantage plans. Go to medicare.gov and find them there.

Half a million is an imposing number but you would have had to go a bit to match my late father in law. When his bills topped three million before he passed I quit tabulating. Had nearly every operation and illness in the books. He was a tough one.

Glad you survived the H1N1. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in 1991 and the tick nearly did me in. Its not a good sign when the doctor tells your wife she might want to start thinking about funeral arrangements.

You might want to check out the medicare advantage plans. Go to medicare.gov and find them there.

Half a million is an imposing number but you would have had to go a bit to match my late father in law. When his bills topped three million before he passed I quit tabulating. Had nearly every operation and illness in the books. He was a tough one.

Glad you survived the H1N1. I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in 1991 and the tick nearly did me in. Its not a good sign when the doctor tells your wife she might want to start thinking about funeral arrangements.
I hear you, Mule. My wife’s been there too. Heard the same things. She retired from Guilford County after thirty years, and believe me, she earned it. One of the advantages was that she was able to keep her medical insurance at active employee rate. That insurance saved us a ton of money, and that’s my supplement.
I really feel for people who aren’t prepared for those kinds of expenses. Serious illness is hard enough without the financial burden.

I hear you, Mule. My wife’s been there too. Heard the same things. She retired from Guilford County after thirty years, and believe me, she earned it. One of the advantages was that she was able to keep her medical insurance at active employee rate. That insurance saved us a ton of money, and that’s my supplement.
I really feel for people who aren’t prepared for those kinds of expenses. Serious illness is hard enough without the financial burden.
Well, OC, we can't do anything about our high school football just now but here is some news on the hospitalization front you and others might want to consider.

My wife is a retired teacher and she has both the state 70/30 Blue Cross Blue Shield plan AND a medicare advantage plan. In North Carolina, retired state employees can have both. Very few people seem to be aware of this.

You may not need that supplement and you could quality for a zero premium cost medicare advantage plan that could provide even better coverage.

She uses whichever plan pays the best. Saved many $$$ over the past several years.

Check it out with a KNOWLEDGABLE health insurance agent.

Well, OC, we can't do anything about our high school football just now but here is some news on the hospitalization front you and others might want to consider.

My wife is a retired teacher and she has both the state 70/30 Blue Cross Blue Shield plan AND a medicare advantage plan. In North Carolina, retired state employees can have both. Very few people seem to be aware of this.

You may not need that supplement and you could quality for a zero premium cost medicare advantage plan that could provide even better coverage.

She uses whichever plan pays the best. Saved many $$$ over the past several years.

Check it out with a KNOWLEDGABLE health insurance agent.
Thanks Mule. Lifelong learning is important and I certainly don’t know it all.

4 Atlanta Braves including Freddie Freeman now have tested positive for the virus. I'm guessing camp for MLB and NBA will be the next things to shut down again.

It was never gonna be 2 weeks and if anyone really I ever thought that they also believe there will be a vaccine.

I only recall one person saying anything about two weeks. Look around you. Do you think people are doing what it takes to flatten the curve?
That would be hell no! Also, look at most companies, business, sports teams, etc. Infection rates pretty much mimic those of the general population.

so what do you guys propose....just don;t do anything?? sports are over...movies are over...parties are over.....geez...aren't guys sick of this shit yet....this stuff is not the doom and gloom the media is portraying (unless you have underlying medical issues and are in a nursing home)...........if your waiting on a vaccine this crap will go on to infinity......most of us know that the only thing "flattened" was the economy and Trump's re-election bid......China...you win again...............................

What other illness/virus has a society reacted like it has this one? Folks, this won't be the last. Is this "new normal" our sentence?

Six months from now after our beloved high football seasons (possibly much college too) has been cancelled or postponed, 50 million Americans have tested positive, there still isn't an effective vaccine and the election has passed is someone in a position of authority going to admit that shutting things down was the wrong move?

Reactions: beamer24
What other illness/virus has a society reacted like it has this one? Folks, this won't be the last. Is this "new normal" our sentence?

Six months from now after our beloved high football seasons (possibly much college too) has been cancelled or postponed, 50 million Americans have tested positive, there still isn't an effective vaccine and the election has passed is someone in a position of authority going to admit that shutting things down was the wrong move?
We never shutdown everything like Europe and several other countries did and we opened up too quickly.I love high school football but right now they are a lot more importing problems facing us.

Reactions: Ramkiller2016
rambbq said it well, if the media would just walk straight instead of leaning over to the left things just might improve. Heard a certain governor had his right turn signal removed from his car. I know there won’t be any football, most likely no school, the damage has been done, but as rambbq said......China,you win......,,,again !!

rambbq said it well, if the media would just walk straight instead of leaning over to the left things just might improve. Heard a certain governor had his right turn signal removed from his car. I know there won’t be any football, most likely no school, the damage has been done, but as rambbq said......China,you win......,,,again !!
Three of the states seeing the biggest jump in cases are run by the right not the left.I don't see them saying everything would be alright if it wasn't for the news media.

Last edited:
I had a doctor (retired US Army SF and civilian practice) tell me in early April. Shut everything down for a month, everything(!), except for the absolute most essential personnel and you may get a handle on it. If not it will be an issue for a very long time. I thought he was crazy! He said a few other things that made me scratch my head including in May saying that schools would not go back this fall which I called BS on but now wonder. He explained it was not the students health as the main issue but the peope they come in contact with and pointed to lower income families that have smaller living quarters, larger families, multi generational households, and multi family housing units all as an issue. He is sharp and he is harsh and I wonder if he was very much on point.

Didn’t say it would be alright, just that it might improve. Main stream media still bad, they are hard to take serious. We don’t really know what’s real anymore. Believe what makes you feel better I guess. Hope all had a safe and pleasant 4th.

Reactions: PBBear51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT