ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

North Carolina:

Total cases 49,840

Total Recovered 29,219

Total Deaths 1,250

Deaths in Long
Term Care Facilities 68% of Total Deaths
TheMule, the important stat is how many people are sick enough with the virus to be hospitalized TODAY and each day; that number has doubled since the reopening and if keeps multiplying like it has the last 3 weeks, we're going to suffer what we feared at the outset of the pandemic. Are we going to have enough ICU and hospital rooms?.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
TheMule, the important stat is how many people are sick enough with the virus to be hospitalized TODAY and each day; that number has doubled since the reopening and if keeps multiplying like it has the last 3 weeks, we're going to suffer what we feared at the outset of the pandemic. Are we going to have enough ICU and hospital rooms?.
The statistics show that very few people who are infected need hospitalization and even fewer of those who are hospitalized need ICU care. In fact, they don't even know they are infected.

The real risks are to those confined to long term living facilities and those who are caring for them. Most people in long term living have health issues that make them particularly susceptible. That's why the majority of deaths are to the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

Studies are showing that to be infected you have to have been in close contact with someone who has the virus for a period of 10 to 20 minutes.

Look at the Clemson football team. Twenty plus of team and staff are infected but none of them require hospitalization. They are young and in good health and the virus is not such a big issue to them. Young people have figured this out and that is why so many are starting to go about their lives in a more normal way.

I have a 98 year old mother and a wife with a highly compromised immune system so I have to be extremely careful or the virus could be deadly to them. There is where the real danger lies if young people don't think about others.

I have a friend with it. Late 50's big strong guy. He had a 103 fever and they took him to the hospital but they let him go back home by the late evening. It's been rough on him.

The statistics show that very few people who are infected need hospitalization and even fewer of those who are hospitalized need ICU care. In fact, they don't even know they are infected.

The real risks are to those confined to long term living facilities and those who are caring for them. Most people in long term living have health issues that make them particularly susceptible. That's why the majority of deaths are to the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

Studies are showing that to be infected you have to have been in close contact with someone who has the virus for a period of 10 to 20 minutes.

Look at the Clemson football team. Twenty plus of team and staff are infected but none of them require hospitalization. They are young and in good health and the virus is not such a big issue to them. Young people have figured this out and that is why so many are starting to go about their lives in a more normal way.

I have a 98 year old mother and a wife with a highly compromised immune system so I have to be extremely careful or the virus could be deadly to them. There is where the real danger lies if young people don't think about others.
The 23 Clemson football players and the 30 from LSU may very well be okay. I hope so. But they’re being isolated and the people they have come into contact with are self-quarantining for 14 days. It’s a very controlled environment and that is possible in a college athletic program. They’re not going home to their mothers and grandmothers. In the general population it doesn’t always happen that way. That’s the reason this isn’t the flu. It’s the reason much stricter measures are necessary.
Update: Kansas State has suspended its football workouts due to large numbers of positive tests. Some will say “so what, they’re young and healthy”. But what if the same thing happens to a high school team? Who are they going home to?
I’m not suggesting no activity for high school teams. What I am suggesting is strict adherence to the guidelines that the NCHSAA and almost everybody else agrees are necessary to avoid increased spread. And any coach who ignores them should be fired.

Last edited:
The 23 Clemson football players and the 30 from LSU may very well be okay. I hope so. But they’re being isolated and the people they have come into contact with are self-quarantining for 14 days. It’s a very controlled environment and that is possible in a college athletic program. They’re not going home to their mothers and grandmothers. In the general population it doesn’t always happen that way. That’s the reason this isn’t the flu. It’s the reason much stricter measures are necessary.
Update: Kansas State has suspended its football workouts due to large numbers of positive tests. Some will say “so what, they’re young and healthy”. But what if the same thing happens to a high school team? Who are they going home to?
I’m not suggesting no activity for high school teams. What I am suggesting is strict adherence to the guidelines that the NCHSAA and almost everybody else agrees are necessary to avoid increased spread. And any coach who ignores them should be fired.
I'll agree that the playing field should be equal but everybody agrees with the guidelines is a lie. People want to get back to work. 1 person under 18 has died. ONE! It's not right and we're allowing this from so called"leadership"

Reactions: BK13T-$
I'll agree that the playing field should be equal but everybody agrees with the guidelines is a lie. People want to get back to work. 1 person under 18 has died. ONE! It's not right and we're allowing this from so called"leadership"

It's like you didn't even read what he said. It's not about young people (even though it is), it's about who they're in contact with. A lot of high school players live with their parents and grandparents in close quarters. Sure the high schooler may be fine, but what about their guardian?

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
It's like you didn't even read what he said. It's not about young people (even though it is), it's about who they're in contact with. A lot of high school players live with their parents and grandparents in close quarters. Sure the high schooler may be fine, but what about their guardian?
I just think we can talk care of our own and get back to some normalcy. In my business we have several thousand customers every week and we have and continued to do wants right for people well fair. We are a front line service and we're proud of how we handle this virus.

Reactions: PBBear51
I just think we can talk care of our own and get back to some normalcy. In my business we have several thousand customers every week and we have and continued to do wants right for people well fair. We are a front line service and we're proud of how we handle this virus.

What is your business is you don't mind me asking?

I didn’t state that very well. When I referred to everyone agreeing, I was referring to the NCHSAA , the NCAA, most professional sports organizations and other entities which either agree with the medical professionals or recognize the massive liability they face. All I ask is that the sports teams subject to their guidelines actually follow them....agree or not.

Reactions: dogs79
Well, as far as the guidelines go I guess the people in Reidsville missed the memo.

I went to a local restaurant here to pick up a fish order at lunch. The sign on the door said the seating capacity was 162. The restaurant was packed and people were standing side by side waiting in line for seats.

And would you believe it but NOT A SINGLE PERSON WAS WEARING A MASK. And a lot of them were senior citizens. And some of them had family that were young with them.

Reactions: Ooooner and dogs79
Well, as far as the guidelines go I guess the people in Reidsville missed the memo.

I went to a local restaurant here to pick up a fish order at lunch. The sign on the door said the seating capacity was 162. The restaurant was packed and people were standing side by side waiting in line for seats.

And would you believe it but NOT A SINGLE PERSON WAS WEARING A MASK. And a lot of them were senior citizens. And some of them had family that were young with them.

We have an outbreak of it here around Vanceboro now. Probably 10 that I know of and I'm sure we have others walking around not knowing they have it. My dad (86 and has respiratory issues) went to church this morning. I wish he wouldn't but I can't stop him. My sister came down from Lexington to visit for father's day and went with him. They are holding service in the newer fellowship building and sitting in chairs spread out for distancing. About 3pm today we got an e-mail and text from the church stating that "someone" who could have been exposed to the virus was at church this morning. We have no idea who it was at this time but that person had gone to be tested. we all know now you can be exposed to it for a while before symptoms can show up. I feel everyone should be told who it was so they would know how close they were. But it shows that here in Vanceboro we have a problem. I hope my dad don't get it. It would kill him I'm sure. I found out Saturday that a man I eat breakfast with (we sit at opposite ends from the table) his stepson and wife have it. I have no idea if the man I've been eating with has been around him the past couple of weeks. I think they have been staying away. However I will change my habit of eating breakfast at Vera's in the mornings. Me and him have been eating together for over 30 years.

We have an outbreak of it here around Vanceboro now. Probably 10 that I know of and I'm sure we have others walking around not knowing they have it. My dad (86 and has respiratory issues) went to church this morning. I wish he wouldn't but I can't stop him. My sister came down from Lexington to visit for father's day and went with him. They are holding service in the newer fellowship building and sitting in chairs spread out for distancing. About 3pm today we got an e-mail and text from the church stating that "someone" who could have been exposed to the virus was at church this morning. We have no idea who it was at this time but that person had gone to be tested. we all know now you can be exposed to it for a while before symptoms can show up. I feel everyone should be told who it was so they would know how close they were. But it shows that here in Vanceboro we have a problem. I hope my dad don't get it. It would kill him I'm sure. I found out Saturday that a man I eat breakfast with (we sit at opposite ends from the table) his stepson and wife have it. I have no idea if the man I've been eating with has been around him the past couple of weeks. I think they have been staying away. However I will change my habit of eating breakfast at Vera's in the mornings. Me and him have been eating together for over 30 years.
Hope everything works out ok. Our group quit our Saturday morning breakfasts back in March and we will not resume until this thing is over.

Our church is not having inside services yet but I think they are planning to resume soon. We will not be going for a while yet. At least we can watch our services on facebook.

Otis, I want to thank you and the Mule. While I’m sure you’d rather be doing “normal” things, you’re taking a practical, responsible approach to this thing. You don’t have to go overboard. Just be smart and sensible. Minimize the risk. And don’t get caught up in the whole “they can’t tell me what to do” stuff. I started out wearing a seat belt because I didn’t want a ticket. Now I feel naked without it. I really can’t think of anything I’ve been asked to do or not do that has caused me a lot of problem.

Reactions: CatScratchFever23
I didn’t state that very well. When I referred to everyone agreeing, I was referring to the NCHSAA , the NCAA, most professional sports organizations and other entities which either agree with the medical professionals or recognize the massive liability they face. All I ask is that the sports teams subject to their guidelines actually follow them....agree or not.
I agree as long as everyone is on the same playing field

Otis, I want to thank you and the Mule. While I’m sure you’d rather be doing “normal” things, you’re taking a practical, responsible approach to this thing. You don’t have to go overboard. Just be smart and sensible. Minimize the risk. And don’t get caught up in the whole “they can’t tell me what to do” stuff. I started out wearing a seat belt because I didn’t want a ticket. Now I feel naked without it. I really can’t think of anything I’ve been asked to do or not do that has caused me a lot of problem.

Well I'm also saving myself some money so it has it's benefits. ;)

I’ve coached Middle School football for many years. As the days countdown to to the start of the season, I am beginning to think there will not be a Middle School season and probably no High School as well. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. We can‘t isolate our players like the pros. My kids would be carriers to home and many of them are living with grandparents and low income areas. Some of the high risk groups. Otis has already mentioned an outbreak in his area and it’s going to happen in other counties.

The summer workouts will be shut down in a few weeks for the schools that have begun them.

I’ve coached Middle School football for many years. As the days countdown to to the start of the season, I am beginning to think there will not be a Middle School season and probably no High School as well. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. We can‘t isolate our players like the pros. My kids would be carriers to home and many of them are living with grandparents and low income areas. Some of the high risk groups. Otis has already mentioned an outbreak in his area and it’s going to happen in other counties.

The summer workouts will be shut down in a few weeks for the schools that have begun them.
My gut agrees with you, but my heart hopes you are wrong.

Reactions: ocdavis31

i hope I’m really wrong. And I hate being wrong. LOL.

I may be mistaken, but Otis’ area School System has already said ms will not play and they are waffling on the HS in the area (West Craven, Havelock, New Bern).

Some data that affects the decision.
If you look at hospitalizations from May 8-21 in North Carolina, there was an average of 509 people per day who were sick enough to be hospitalized.
If you look at the same data for the last two weeks (6/8-6/21), hospitalizations averaged 815 per day. That’s a 62% increase in daily hospitalizations over one month ago.

Over the 88 days since the first North Carolina death, there has been an average of 14 deaths per day. Over the last 14 days, deaths have averaged 16 per day. I use the 14 day period because that’s how health officials measure severity and trends. Since that’s what will drive the Governor’s decisions on activity in North Carolina, I believe it will be relevant to if and when there will be high school sports in the fall, and what the restrictions might be.

OC, you are certainly more we’ll versed on this, since you experienced your horrible situation during H1N1. With all the colleges getting positive test, what do you think they will do? Also, I do not think HS will be as tolerant as College. I could see 1or 2 positive test and a school system shuts it down.

Our County manager as well as his assistant just tested positive for COVID. Not good for Cleveland County.

Our County manager as well as his assistant just tested positive for COVID. Not good for Cleveland County.

That’s tough. As much as we love HS football here, we need to come to grips with the reality that there will not be football this fall. I will be more that happy to be wrong in that thought.

OC, you are certainly more we’ll versed on this, since you experienced your horrible situation during H1N1. With all the colleges getting positive test, what do you think they will do? Also, I do not think HS will be as tolerant as College. I could see 1or 2 positive test and a school system shuts it down.
That experience does make me sensitive to the human cost, and be able to compare the flu to this virus. In another role I have, I get twice daily reports from NCDHHS. My daughter is a contact tracing investigator. So all of that gives me a little different perspective.
I do believe that, though part of people’s denial is political, much of it stems from the fact that many people don’t know anyone who has been greatly affected. Or they know a twenty something who tested positive with few ill effects. This virus has a way of lulling some people into complacency. And, as Americans, we have a very short attention span. We’re tired of it, so we ignore it.

I agree completely that college and pro teams are much better equipped to deal with the issues than high school and middle school programs. Right now, a lot of parents are worried about even putting their children on a school bus.
I don’t claim to have any special expertise on how athletics will handle this. But I do think that the general population can have an affect on the trajectory. I just find it sad that so many people are so distrustful of every institution, including medical experts. If people will take this seriously for a few more months, I think some version of college and professional sports is possible. The relationship between high school athletic department budgets and crowd size is so tenuous, that I’m much less optimistic. I am hopeful. Just not optimistic.

Yeah sure is. HS football is really the only thing I follow anymore. For me it will just be a very slight disruption as there are so many other things to do. I just really hate it for the kids esp the upcoming seniors....but who knows maybe things will look up soon.

Reactions: PBBear51
The county by county comparisons are what is interesting to me. No way the NCHSAA, the LEA or state will allow football given the number of positives still being seen across the state. Duplin and Wayne counties have been severely impacted and it is now late June. Schools will not open here unless there is a huge decline in cases. I dont like to be pessimistic, but to think there will be a huge swing in the other direction in another month and half with the gradual re-openings we are seeing is foolish.

Reactions: dogs79
Some data that affects the decision.
If you look at hospitalizations from May 8-21 in North Carolina, there was an average of 509 people per day who were sick enough to be hospitalized.
If you look at the same data for the last two weeks (6/8-6/21), hospitalizations averaged 815 per day. That’s a 62% increase in daily hospitalizations over one month ago.

Over the 88 days since the first North Carolina death, there has been an average of 14 deaths per day. Over the last 14 days, deaths have averaged 16 per day. I use the 14 day period because that’s how health officials measure severity and trends. Since that’s what will drive the Governor’s decisions on activity in North Carolina, I believe it will be relevant to if and when there will be high school sports in the fall, and what the restrictions might be.
Pardon my cynical response, but what will drive the governor's decisions will be what his internal polls are showing. If anyone thinks these decisions are not politically driven, then wake up and smell the roses.

And I am not a political partisan. I am registered non affiliated.

Pardon my cynical response, but what will drive the governor's decisions will be what his internal polls are showing. If anyone thinks these decisions are not politically driven, then wake up and smell the roses.

And I am not a political partisan. I am registered non affiliated.
Mule, I don’t doubt that polling plays a role at every level of government. But the public health officials in almost every state and at the federal level are saying the same things. That’s what I look at. Like you, I’m unaffiliated. But I don’t assign political motives to thousands of health officials just doing their jobs.
If you look at the hospitalizations and deaths, it’s hard to deny that things are getting worse in North Carolina, not better. Our response should be driven by that, not politics.

Reactions: Ramkiller2016
Mule, I don’t doubt that polling plays a role at every level of government. But the public health officials in almost every state and at the federal level are saying the same things. That’s what I look at. Like you, I’m unaffiliated. But I don’t assign political motives to thousands of health officials just doing their jobs.
If you look at the hospitalizations and deaths, it’s hard to deny that things are getting worse in North Carolina, not better. Our response should be driven by that, not politics.
Well, I most certainly agree that any response should not be driven by politics but unfortunately that is not the case. Health officials do not have the decision making authority or responsibility in our form of government.

And it makes no difference whether political decisions are made at the local, state, or federal level.

It seems somewhat strange that anyone could be critical of the President's handling of the situation and yet be nearly completely supportive of the Governor's decisions. That smacks of politics to me.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Well, I most certainly agree that any response should not be driven by politics but unfortunately that is not the case. Health officials do not have the decision making authority or responsibility in our form of government.

And it makes no difference whether political decisions are made at the local, state, or federal level.

It seems somewhat strange that anyone could be critical of the President's handling of the situation and yet be nearly completely supportive of the Governor's decisions. That smacks of politics to me.
Do you think that the two responses are the same? Though the medical folks at the federal level are advising the same things as at the state level, the responses of the elected officials are almost diametrically opposed. My support is for those who use the medical data to make decisions. Whether they also have political motives is irrelevant to me. I also support the decisions made by the governors of Maryland and Ohio.

You may want to look at the authority of state or local health officials. It’s much greater than most people think. They can have people detained and forcibly quarantined in a state of health emergency that involves communicable disease. Saw it happen in a rabies exposure case. May be right or wrong, but public safety outweighs almost everything legally.

Last edited:
An excellent source for coronavirus information is wral.com

Click on LATEST STATS

Click on More NC coronavirus maps, graphs and data

I particularly like the Cases by zip code and the cases by county maps information.

For example where I live is zip code 27320. About 39,000 people of which Reidsville makes up about 14,000 and county people like me the rest. We have 63 cases total for the 38,000 people . Its easy to see that with those numbers most people, particularly the younger ones, don't see the virus as personal because they just don't know family or friends who are infected. I guess that would explain why so many don't wear masks or practice social distancing.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Mule, Greensboro will require masks everywhere in the city limits starting tomorrow. Do most folks in Reidsville travel there regularly to shop? I know we do in Thomasville and Greensboro is about the same distance.

Mule, Greensboro will require masks everywhere in the city limits starting tomorrow. Do most folks in Reidsville travel there regularly to shop? I know we do in Thomasville and Greensboro is about the same distance.
We have many Reidsville area people working in Greensboro and many shop over there. I live east of Reidsville and usually go to Burlington which is closer but one of the really hot spots for the virus in the state. My trips to Burlington these days is limited to the drive thrus at Chick-Fil-A or Popeyes.

Raleigh is also requiring face masks but most people are not wearing them according to one of my sons who works there. I suspect the same for Greensboro.

We have many Reidsville area people working in Greensboro and many shop over there. I live east of Reidsville and usually go to Burlington which is closer but one of the really hot spots for the virus in the state. My trips to Burlington these days is limited to the drive thrus at Chick-Fil-A or Popeyes.

Raleigh is also requiring face masks but most people are not wearing them according to one of my sons who works there. I suspect the same for Greensboro.

I live in Greensboro. I feel like most people are wearing masks. I limit what I do as well.

They’ll be getting pretty serious about it in Boone beginning July 11th. Right now they’re “educating” folks.

I live in Greensboro. I feel like most people are wearing masks. I limit what I do as well.
Sometimes people have to be hit over the head with a baseball bat to get their attention.
They’ll be getting pretty serious about it in Boone beginning July 11th. Right now they’re “educating” folks.
Wonder why they are waiting until July 11?

Guess they don't want to mess up the July 4 week festivities.

Sometimes people have to be hit over the head with a baseball bat to get their attention.

Wonder why they are waiting until July 11?

Guess they don't want to mess up the July 4 week festivities.
I'm sure they want to avoid the brouhaha that would arise during the 4th of July holiday week. But starting the 11th, the fine is up to $1000 for failure to wear a mask in public in Boone. So pretty big baseball bat.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT