ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

Mule nailed it. “Toeing the party line”. We have been delt a losing hand. It’s so sad for the kids, especially the seniors who don’t even know if the 2020 season will happen. We can only hope things get better soon.

Got an email today from App State football. They’re bringing back injured players first. Then small groups in stages through July 6. Social distancing, face masks, cleaning equipment between every rep, etc. The colleges are doing it, not only for any executive order, but because their medical folks recommend it. If it’s good enough for App, it’s good enough for me.

Last edited:
I hear some areas are lifting, practicing. I'm pretty sure no one will admit it but the playing field not level.

Both UNC and NC State are requiring students, staff, and faculty to wear masks for fall semester. Excepts made for in dorms and in private offices.

Will this be the future for high schools in North Carolina this fall?

The new abnormal is here. High school, if cooper don’t shut them down again will be a strange looking place. Enforcement will be interesting. Just hope there is some kind of HS football, at least that’s something. Man we need a break!!

Reactions: PBBear51
Franklin is having practice right now.
Franklin is in Macon county which has the most cases per population in the West.

Will this be the future for high schools in North Carolina this fall?
Many employers are making them requirements for employment now as a PPE. I work for one of the largest in Haywood County, and they are mandatory. I'm around 90% sure they will be a part of our attire for this season and will remain so until a vacine is found.

Franklin is having practice right now.
Franklin is in Macon county which has the most cases per population in the West.
I talked to a couple of coaches before practice started and they seemed to be pretty serious about abiding by the rules. Macon also has a very robust testing set-up so the numbers may be under reported in other counties around us, at least compared to ours.

I ran in to a coach today at lunch and he expressed concern about football being played this year. I thougth Cleveland County could practice as of 6/15 but it does not appear anybody is. Whats the deal ?

I ran in to a coach today at lunch and he expressed concern about football being played this year. I thougth Cleveland County could practice as of 6/15 but it does not appear anybody is. Whats the deal ?

I was wondering the same thing

Don’t know about Cleveland County but each LEA decides for themselves. Davidson County chose to wait until July 6th to give coaches a chance to get prepared.

Not been approved by the system.

These kids aren't endangered by this. Let'em practice. Get it shape. We need to get back to some normalcy. Protect the vulnerable and let's do what's right in our communities. I here some city and private schools are practicing

I talked to a couple of coaches before practice started and they seemed to be pretty serious about abiding by the rules. Macon also has a very robust testing set-up so the numbers may be under reported in other counties around us, at least compared to ours.

Macon has tested a little more than 1,100 out of 36,000.

Graham has tested near 400 out of 8,500 ppl.
I don't think this counts the ones the Cherokee have tested. The Cherokee are testing alot of natives and others that work for the tribe.

Macon has tested a little more than 1,100 out of 36,000.

Graham has tested near 400 out of 8,500 ppl.
I don't think this counts the ones the Cherokee have tested. The Cherokee are testing alot of natives and others that work for the tribe.

Weve tested over 2600.

Yes i heard that today.
Those numbers I shared was a few days back.
Im guessing here but i bet Graham and tribe have tested a larger percentage of residents than Macon.
Macons winning 200+ to 06.

Last edited:
That teacher sucks man. You were just a kid and Old Yellar seems like a good hero to me.
I had a 4th grade teacher who when any of the boys (will be boys) acted up she would make us align up in a circle on all fours and parade around in that circle and she had a paddle and when you got in passing to her in the circle she'd give you a wack with a paddle, all the while she and the class were singing that song, "with a nick nack patty wack, give a dog a bone, This old man came rolling home." Honest to goodness. If it were in this age with cellphone cameras. today's standards i could a rich boy!

Reactions: dogs79
These kids aren't endangered by this. Let'em practice. Get it shape. We need to get back to some normalcy. Protect the vulnerable and let's do what's right in our communities. I here some city and private schools are practicing

Saw they other day that people under 25 are now considered one of the high risk groups. Didn’t read the article, just mentioning the headline.

Saw they other day that people under 25 are now considered one of the high risk groups. Didn’t read the article, just mentioning the headline.
In the contact tracing they’ve been able to do nationally over the last month, over forty percent of the cases came from being exposed to someone 20-30 years old. Doesn’t mean that young person was affected in a major way. But they passed it to someone who probably was. That’s why coaches, many older, are vulnerable when exposed to high school and college athletes. Or to the people they take it home to.

Saw an interview of some young ladies in Jacksonville, FL, a group of young ladies who had gone to a bar. Sixteen went, all sixteen tested positive. None hospitalized or serious. But one said something that struck home. She said she realized they were lucky, but she felt very guilty because she had no idea who else she gave it to. All said that Florida opened too soon.
Be smart. Don’t be macho. And don’t buy into the “it’s my choice” argument. You’re making decisions for everybody around you. Besides, I look great in my mask:)

The virus has the highest numbers in North Carolina yet in all categories. The most concern is the number of people that are sick enough to be hospitalized each day. That number has doubled since reopening, and the # of new cases daily has tripled. The virus hasn't gone away. It hasn't peaked yet. Every day now is a new peak. It's just June, if it keeps on as it's done the past month, we may be in for another stronger shutdown. The numbers are real.

Do we have to except this form of control? I don't know. Just seems like the people making all the decisions is not making decisions that is best for us and our communities. They all bought and paid for. I hope if our superintendent has the opportunity to move foward and get back to work.

Reactions: oldway55
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT