ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

If masks are required count me out. They are proven ineffective and nothing more than a sign of compliance. This wasnt the 1918 spanish flu.Not even close.It is a serious virus as are many that has been politicized and overblown.
I don't blame you 91ths. If I was a Tuscola fan after the last three years I wouldn't go to a Tuscola game with or without a mask.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: rambbq
Me wearing a mask is primarily intended to keep you from catching it from me. Twenty five percent of positive cases show no symptoms. In that sense, it’s very effective. I wear one every time I’m in public and really don’t care how stupid it looks to some people. I care if I unwittingly give it to you. And I have no problem being compliant if it helps protect other people. I would hope they’d do the same for me. I see it as a sign of strength just like wearing a helmet while playing football is smart.

It don't look stupid unless you are driving around town wearing it in your car. I see people doing that. For some reason the tune Mary has a little lamb always comes to mind. Please don't admit if you do that. Just don't. :)

It don't look stupid unless you are driving around town wearing it in your car. I see people doing that. For some reason the tune Mary has a little lamb always comes to mind. Please don't admit if you do that. Just don't. :)
Nah, I don’t go quite that far, Otis. But I wonder why they do as well. My motto is all things in moderation:)

Reactions: Otis4411
I don't blame you 91ths. If I was a Tuscola fan after the last three years I wouldn't go to a Tuscola game with or without a mask.:D
Yea thats what its all about.. jeez.:rolleyes:
The rivalry will correct itself so have fun while you got the bully pulpit

Me wearing a mask is primarily intended to keep you from catching it from me. Twenty five percent of positive cases show no symptoms. In that sense, it’s very effective. I wear one every time I’m in public and really don’t care how stupid it looks to some people. I care if I unwittingly give it to you. And I have no problem being compliant if it helps protect other people. I would hope they’d do the same for me. I see it as a sign of strength just like wearing a helmet while playing football is smart.
Thats your way. No problem here but i have been working the whole time as im deemed "essential"" never wore a mask. Its overblown.. And our governor proved it. why cant we have but 25 people in a place but have thousands protest and riot and loot.With him in attendance... He is a liberal hypocrite. The democrat party left the working man regardless of color long ago.Black or white ,

Well, I don't normally like to talk politics but these decisions will affect football this fall.

I have know the Gov for many, many years. He does everything based on polling. So if the public wants school and football this fall that is what he will favor. Remember, he is on the ballot in November. And he most definitely does not want a Republican convention in Charlotte in August. That will not help his reelection chances which are looking very good right now.

My money is on school and football this fall.
I got a feeling The Mule might know several high officials, along with O.C. Davis.
The Mule, knowing Governor R. Cooper, makes me wonder if he (The Mule) might have been an executive with American Tobacco Company or if he knows him through politics.
Sorry for being curious.

I got a feeling The Mule might know several high officials, along with O.C. Davis.
The Mule, knowing Governor R. Cooper, makes me wonder if he (The Mule) might have been an executive with American Tobacco Company or if he knows him through politics.
Sorry for being curious.
Hope you’re well, Lincolnton.
Don’t know Governor Cooper personally, though I’ve met him and Pat McCrory a time or two. Did some work with Thom Tillis and have a few friends who are state legislators. We don’t always agree on political issues, but they’re good folks. Where I live, you only get elected if you’re Republican. Unless it’s a non-partisan race such as city council or school board. Most of them are either Democrat or unaffiliated, but nobody asks. Funny how people really don’t care if there’s no designation beside the name on the ballot. But we’ve become tribal like that.
I get amused when people think Trump is a Republican. Trump is for Trump and nobody else. I vote for a lot of Republicans, but privately they’re just as appalled as I am at his narcissistic ramblings and changes of direction. But they can’t criticize him publicly for fear of being “primaried”. So you have the AOC far left vs. the so-called Fox News Trumpites masquerading as Republicans. And neither of those groups are for the working man. The pendulum will swing. It always does. And the only good thing that comes from that is that, for a while, we actually get to be in the middle where we belong.
Stay safe and when this craziness is over, we’ll grab Cheerduck and eat some bbq and talk some football.

Hope you’re well, Lincolnton.
Don’t know Governor Cooper personally, though I’ve met him and Pat McCrory a time or two. Did some work with Thom Tillis and have a few friends who are state legislators. We don’t always agree on political issues, but they’re good folks. Where I live, you only get elected if you’re Republican. Unless it’s a non-partisan race such as city council or school board. Most of them are either Democrat or unaffiliated, but nobody asks. Funny how people really don’t care if there’s no designation beside the name on the ballot. But we’ve become tribal like that.
I get amused when people think Trump is a Republican. Trump is for Trump and nobody else. I vote for a lot of Republicans, but privately they’re just as appalled as I am at his narcissistic ramblings and changes of direction. But they can’t criticize him publicly for fear of being “primaried”. So you have the AOC far left vs. the so-called Fox News Trumpites masquerading as Republicans. And neither of those groups are for the working man. The pendulum will swing. It always does. And the only good thing that comes from that is that, for a while, we actually get to be in the middle where we belong.
Stay safe and when this craziness is over, we’ll grab Cheerduck and eat some bbq and talk some football.

I know what you mean about Trump. I voted for him because of his policies. He has been doing what he said he would do. I'm a strong 2nd amendment supporter, against abortion ,so on.. I'll vote for him again. It's better than the alternative.

Reactions: dogs79 and Linkman
Thats your way. No problem here but i have been working the whole time as im deemed "essential"" never wore a mask. Its overblown.. And our governor proved it. why cant we have but 25 people in a place but have thousands protest and riot and loot.With him in attendance... He is a liberal hypocrite. The democrat party left the working man regardless of color long ago.Black or white ,
40f4473594ae1e0d2d65c8b5b4eb464a4da30de6.gif

Fellers, I respect both of your points of view. Go with your conscience.
Just seems like people in the Triad area might be better connected, politically, than us around here.

When I was in the fifth grade Governor Terry Sanford came by. I was at Lincolnton Grammar School, an old medieval looking building on E.Congress St. We used the same cafeteria as the high school which was separated from the grammar school by a baseball field.

The Governor came in the cafeteria which was packed with children.He was shaking as many hands as he could and ever so often he would ask one of us a question, like, what is your favorite subject or what do you want to be when you're grown.

He asked me who my hero was. I told him Ole Yeller.
After lunch, when we returned to our room, my teacher said I embarrassed the class by saying Ole Yeller was my hero. She said people were heroes and not animals.

A girl who sat next to me had the worst habit of parroting the teacher after she (the teacher) had upbraided a student. In a sneering way, this particular girl said "People are heroes, not animals", and I told her to shut her damn mouth. The teacher happened to hear me and slapped me across the head (not such a big deal, back then). So the first and last time I spoke with a governor was a memorable one.

I met a NC Attorney General,once, back in the 80's and I got to hear Dan Quayle speak at a conference in the early 90's. I recall how diminutive he looked, but he sure could make a speech.

The best to all of you. I'm still wearing a mask. I don't want to give it to someone and I surely don't want to catch it, especially at my age.

OC, getting a meal sounds good. I would look forward to that and I know Cheerduck would, too.

Fellers, I respect both of your points of view. Go with your conscience.
Just seems like people in the Triad area might be better connected, politically, than us around here.

When I was in the fifth grade Governor Terry Sanford came by. I was at Lincolnton Grammar School, an old medieval looking building on E.Congress St. We used the same cafeteria as the high school which was separated from the grammar school by a baseball field.

The Governor came in the cafeteria which was packed with children.He was shaking as many hands as he could and ever so often he would ask one of us a question, like, what is your favorite subject or what do you want to be when you're grown.

He asked me who my hero was. I told him Ole Yeller.
After lunch, when we returned to our room, my teacher said I embarrassed the class by saying Ole Yeller was my hero. She said people were heroes and not animals.

A girl who sat next to me had the worst habit of parroting the teacher after she (the teacher) had upbraided a student. In a sneering way, this particular girl said "People are heroes, not animals", and I told her to shut her damn mouth. The teacher happened to hear me and slapped me across the head (not such a big deal, back then). So the first and last time I spoke with a governor was a memorable one.

I met a NC Attorney General,once, back in the 80's and I got to hear Dan Quayle speak at a conference in the early 90's. I recall how diminutive he looked, but he sure could make a speech.

The best to all of you. I'm still wearing a mask. I don't want to give it to someone and I surely don't want to catch it, especially at my age.

OC, getting a meal sounds good. I would look forward to that and I know Cheerduck would, too.
That teacher sucks man. You were just a kid and Old Yellar seems like a good hero to me.

LOL, thanks fellers. She was mean as “heck” . She looked like the offspring of Ichabod Crane and Elvira Gulch. She rang my jaws a couple of times but some of those old maid teachers, back then, who had been born around the turn of the century and began teaching in the 1920’s and came out of well-to-do families handled things that way. She had to have been the Michaelangelo of class room management.
Ole Yeller getting shot was the most anticlimactic scene I’ve ever witnessed on any movie.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
O.C. and Lincolnton, I'll be glad when we can meet up again and discuss some football. I don't discuss politics for any reason, so you all are safe with your beliefs. Lincolnton, I hate that teacher hit you over the head like that. I don't see a thing wrong with your answer nor your behavior to the little loud mouth you told to shut it! There's quite a few of those little girls that have grown up and in the national limelight as I type! You fellows don't forget me down the road.

Thanks, Cheerduck. I’ll stay in touch with you and OC and when you both think it’s safe, we’ll make arrangements..
It’s always good to hear from you, my friend.

O.C. and Lincolnton, I'll be glad when we can meet up again and discuss some football. I don't discuss politics for any reason, so you all are safe with your beliefs. Lincolnton, I hate that teacher hit you over the head like that. I don't see a thing wrong with your answer nor your behavior to the little loud mouth you told to shut it! There's quite a few of those little girls that have grown up and in the national limelight as I type! You fellows don't forget me down the road.
Count on it!

Where can I find the guidelines at, are they published publicly?
There’s an article in the Lexington Dispatch but you have to subscribe. It’s probably on the NCHSAA website.
No indoor groups over ten. None outdoors over 25. Both those numbers include coaches, players...everybody.
No personal contact. No handing off or passing a ball from one player to another. Lots of cleaning and social distancing.
Practice, until further notice, will be mostly conditioning and skull session work. But it’s something.

There’s an article in the Lexington Dispatch but you have to subscribe. It’s probably on the NCHSAA website.
No indoor groups over ten. None outdoors over 25. Both those numbers include coaches, players...everybody.
No personal contact. No handing off or passing a ball from one player to another. Lots of cleaning and social distancing.
Practice, until further notice, will be mostly conditioning and skull session work. But it’s something.
Yes, at least it's a very welcomed start. I kinda figured the initial stage will be conditioning in small groups. Then when the season officially starts, they will have to lighten up on the numbers in order for the fans to attend. I just can't see high school football and athletic programs surviving without fans.

Several counties, including Davidson, are beginning athletic workouts July 6th to allow coaching staffs to get ready.

I was told they have to maintain 6 feet between each other. Provide their own water bottle. Temps have to be checked and recorded. I'm checking to see if I have any eligibility left. I could run between them holes!!

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
I was told they have to maintain 6 feet between each other. Provide their own water bottle. Temps have to be checked and recorded. I'm checking to see if I have any eligibility left. I could run between them holes!!
And when a practice dummy that gets hit it must be cleaned before the next player can hit it. This is all going to put a huge burden on coaches.

Football , especially HS level will have to be re-invented to play this year. Maybe new leadership at the state level will get things right again.
We will definitely have challenges ahead as we move forward and there will no doubt be some inconveniences for all involved but I'm not sure what you mean by being "reinvented"..?

And when a practice dummy that gets hit it must be cleaned before the next player can hit it. This is all going to put a huge burden on coaches.

Yea that have to clean and sanitize everything. Crazy. When I was in the boy Scouts in late 60's to early 70's we literally picked up scrambled eggs that got knocked over in the dirt. Rinsed them off and eat them. A little gritty but when you hungry you'll eat. It didn't kill us.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Yea that have to clean and sanitize everything. Crazy. When I was in the boy Scouts in late 60's to early 70's we literally picked up scrambled eggs that got knocked over in the dirt. Rinsed them off and eat them. A little gritty but when you hungry you'll eat. It didn't kill us.
I saw guys drink water out of a mud hole during practice. Back in 70's we didn't get water during practice. Coaches made us eat a bunch of salt tablets before practice in the summer, it's a wonder we didn't all have heat strokes.

Reactions: Otis4411
This individual water bottle thing will be interesting. I served on a youth sports board for about 7 years. Every Saturday afternoon we'd pick up a dozen or so left over water bottles to put in lost & found, most never were claimed. The logistics of this is what I think is meant by being "re-invented".

Schutt is marketing a faceshield for helmets that will extend below the normal eyeshield down to below the mouth. JJ Watt noted on Twitter that whoever invented it obviously never played FB in Texas. Some of these "fixes" will lead to other issues, particularly with heat.

What I met by “re-invented” was more of a question. How can tackle FB be played without touching somebody. By the time everyone and everything gets scrubbed down after every play it will take 5-6 hours to play a game, maybe even longer. I have confidence the coaches and AD’s will find a way. Maybe it will just look like the game has been “re-invented “. What a mess!!

Nobody knows what this disease will look like in late August. If it is as bad or worse than now, high schools won’t be playing football. The current standards for practice are to allow players to meet, condition, and have some sort of preparation for what everyone hopes will be a football season. I personally thought that no one would practice at all until August 1st. So, if they can accomplish something positive and still keep everybody safe, I think that’s great. But to try and predict what will happen two months from now, whether it’s for a sporting event, a race, a concert or a political convention is unreasonable and an exercise in futility.
That’s why you’re seeing so many cancellations of events in September and October. We simply don’t know.

I thought the first contact date was June 15. but after watching the news last night they did a story on a meet and greet at Tuscola.. I didn't see any masks or social distance measures in place..

Reactions: PBBear51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT